Still in the Cage

Starry Night (in progress)

    "Alright, Heejin, you're up!" Hyunjin called from the exit, waving her hand. Heejin took one more bite from her burger before setting it down, hurrying over to the line. Haseul looked up, smiling at the sight of Lip approaching her.

    "And?"

    "Yeah, plenty of flashing lights - probably wouldn't end well for you."

    "That's what I figured." Haseul looked around her pile of bags before bending over, pulling out Lip's bag from underneath the bench. Jinsoul came over and slung hers over her shoulder.

    "What next?"

    Lip scouted out the buildings down the path. "There was this cool mirror thing I saw walking here, so I thought I'd check that out. But let's wait for Heejin and Hyunjin."

    "I have to go to the bathroom for a bit, wanna go?"

    "Fine by me."

~ ~ ~

    In due time, Hyunjin's face appeared, both disoriented and strangely vibrant as ever. With a smile, "I'm not doing that again."

    "Okay, Haseul and I are going to the gift shop," Heejin announced, gathering the group, "if there's any rides you'd like to try out, go ahead. You all know where the shop is?" She pointed in the opposite direction. "It'll be just past the rocks. Be back in an hour, or at least try to be close. Have your phones on."

    And with that, they separated. Lip left in her direction, curious as to what it'd turn out to be. Jinsoul caught up with her, "I love those things."

    "What?"
    Ahead, a man stood behind a cart, his hands holding some sort of stick, plunged into a hole in the middle. After a couple stirs, he pulled out a head of cotton candy, mint green.

    The thought enticed her, but Lip had no money. "They sure do look good."

    Ahead, the building came into view. Simply "Mirror Maze," the entire action was condensed to the interior, a mess of darkness, light rays streaming through, and screaming kids.

    "Let's go."

    At the entrance, Lip already broke out into a grin as she imagined what was coming. Holding her hands out, she sneaked forward - without warning, her hands collided with tilted glass, and she re-oriented herself, laughing, "This is going to be so bad."

    Jinsoul held her hands on her shoulders behind her, scanning every angle. Over the next ten minutes, they shuffled forward, colliding messily when they got too confident. Jinsoul proved to be the braver one, not shying away from clashing headfirst into another one halfway through, cursing to herself.

    "You see, I knew that one was there… God… this is terrible."

    Over the course of the trip, Lip had dedicated a lot of time into wrapping her head around this whole mess - the repeated days, the link between certain people, and if they could ever use it to their advantage, at least in protecting their sanity. Watching the ceiling, little blips of light came in and out of view, and it showed in all the mirrors, drowning out the light from outside in certain areas. Lip figured only she was so entranced at this moment, crying out at her situation, how twisted the world had been for her these days. She had been locked into this universe, snatched out like a fish from its tank.

    Distracted at the starry ceiling visuals, she looked forward again and realized Jinsoul had moved forward without her. Holding out her hands again, she felt around for the next glass wall. Jinsoul came into view, and happened to turn and face her. Smiling out, she pointed at her, or at least the reflection she saw. The look in her eye… suddenly the dream came back to her. First in specks, but now she could yank it from her memory in full force - the realization that it had been her room. But now she pulled it closer towards her, breaking into her head: the fact that she had been with Jinsoul that night, linking together why ViVi had been with Yves. Before she could regain her foothold, one more breakthrough slammed into her conscience, but this proved to be too much to come to terms with. She stumbled, slamming her hand into the mirror. Blinking multiple times, she stayed like that, waiting for her body to pick itself back up from its moment. Lip found her epiphany.

~ ~ ~

    Squinting, Lip's feet found firm ground, her eyes caught on cotton candy again.

    Jinsoul got up from the bench ahead of her. "Did you get lost?"

    "I guess so." Considering what had just happened, she didn't consider it a lie.

    "Well, we should head over now. Apparently, Haseul has a terrible headache and her sinuses are all out of whack."

    Creeping closer, the sky grew darker, the cloud's edges bulging and churning.

    "Yeah, let's go."

    They ran over, finding the rest of them waiting outside.

    "Is she alright?"

    "I'm fine, I promise," Haseul reassured, "the weather can be a pain at times."

    Heejin looked up, "It doesn't look good. I had planned on us watching one of the shows they were going to have, but I don't think it'll be good in this state. Let's just head out."

    "Wait, let's snap a picture first," Hyunjin cut in.

    After they had taken a few, they made their way to the exit. Nearing the main courtyard, however, one of the employees rushed over.

    "Hold on, hold on!"

    "Hi," Hyunjin replied, "is there anything wrong?"

    "Are your parents coming?"

    "No, I mean, we drove ourselves. We have our IDs if you need -"

    "That's okay - there's just a major storm heading this way, and there's already been a reported accident on the main highway out."

    "We'll be okay -"

    "No really, you all should stay at the hotel we have across the road. It's on us: your safety is our concern. Once we have confirmation that it's safe, you're free to take your leave. But right now, everyone's being told to stay inside."

    Lip looked at Heejin. Haseul added, "It wouldn't hurt."

    Heejin shrugged. "Yeah, it wouldn't."

~ ~ ~

    Outside, the storm raged, cars honking and the dim sets of yellow and white lights glowing against the blue blur. Pulses of showers slapped the door rudely as they sat in the lobby, swaying their feet. Around them, plenty of other families had apparently taken the advice, speaking with the clerk behind the desk about the whole arrangement. The girls eventually received their keys and their room, large enough to accomodate the five of them comfortably - the bathroom had both a shower and a tub, and their  three-bed room came with its own cozy kitchen. Across the trash can, Jinsoul was busy rummaging through the stock fridge.
    "Can we have these?"

    Heejin didn't look up from her phone, slouched against the couch cushions, "Those aren't included in the price, so I'm sure you'd pay for it."

    "But that guy said it was on them."

    "I don't think he meant the mini-fridge, Jinsoul."

    She slowly closed it shut, watching it each second until the door clicked.

    In due time, the call for dinner came, and they all went down the hall. As they approached the dining area, Lip looked up - shooting up to the ceiling was a slice in the building, rails on either side, each floor stacked onto each other with their walkways down the halls. On the ceiling above the thin, rectangular opening, the space had been replaced with a glass, still attacked with pellets and wind.

~ ~ ~

    Later that evening, with their worries sedated by the delicious courses they couldn't have planned for, the girls were all busy checking they were set to leave early in the morning. Twenty minutes passed, and only a lamp remained on, the room quiet and serene. Lip looked over at Jinsoul and waited for her to make eye contact. Once she did, Lip motioned with her head, and got out of bed to go to the bathroom. Waiting a couple seconds, Jinsoul got out of her chair and followed, closing the door behind them. The sound of a running sink seeped out, adding to the white noise.

    Hyunjin tapped Heejin and whispered in her ear. Heejin moved her head away, her visage a fusion of confusion and drowsiness.

    "Get your own girlfriend," she muttered before wiping her face against her pillow, finding her position again.

    Eventually, Hyunjin scooted over in the bed, the lamp clicking off to signal her defeat. Over the next two minutes, two shadows creeped around the room, an odd sound of rubbing cloth coming out in punctuated rhythm. As Lip opened the door, light flooded in to reveal their entire mattress on its side, Jinsoul pushing from the back. As Jinsoul neared the door, the mattress nearly out, she slipped the room key in her pocket. She gave one more push before settling her hands on the door, all her effort into the slowest shutting door she had ever witnessed. Twisting the handle like the second hand on a clock, she pulled the door up to the frame before releasing it, letting out a deep breath.

    1am rolled around, and Lip at the front forced out a yawn - she wasn't entirely sure this was happening, but she had to put an end to her curiosity. They continued down the hall with increased pace, the sight most alarming to anyone if they were seen. Once they had reached the end, Lip looked up again at the opening. Focusing again, she motioned for Jinsoul to lay it down, so they got on the same side and carefully lowered it onto the floor. In a series of adjustments and glances at the upstairs railing and the mattress, Lip guided it to the edge. Once it was set, Jinsoul made eye contact.

    "Is that it?"

    "Yeah, should be."

    "Lip, we've made it this far, and that's great, but you're freaking me out a bit."

    "I need answers, okay? I'm done with this. When I get up with an aching back and nothing has changed, tell me about it for the next year. But don't tell me it doesn't make just a bit of sense."

    Lip turned and made for the stairs, going two at a time. She passed the first landing, jumping up to the second - she made the turn and navigated back to the ledge, orienting herself with the mattress two floors below her. Her fingers were alive with activity, already prepped - she stepped forward and took hold of the rail with both hands, hoisting herself up onto the surface. Her reflexes immediately took control, her body shifting backwards and her hand shooting underneath the rail to plant it into the wall. Regaining her confidence, she grabbed the rail again and sat up.

    "What, and you just fall?" Jinsoul called out, as quietly as someone can call out in the dead of night.

    Lip's hands switched positions, lifting her body up to hang on the outside of the rail - her feet scrambled in a panic, finding half of a hold to rest them on. Lip exhaled deeply, looking over her shoulder, again ensuring all would happen according to plan. The idea shot around her mind like a bird still in the cage, one that had rattled since the first day ViVi her in: that Lip had taken the form of Yves's dream, that Yves took the shape of her own, and that they would forever remain in this trap until she does something about it. Until she wakes up. Until they all wake up.

    She released her hands from the railing, her feet still pressing against the wall as her back lowered into the air. She twirled around to face the ground, grabbing tightly at her sides as the air stretched into a wind, tearing at her skin as her body plummeted towards the cushion. As her heart rose to and she closed her eyes, she synced. She hit the mattress, a slap as it absorbed her body's force - Jinsoul rushed over, flipping her over to check her face.