An Encounter

Starry Night (in progress)

             Various places flooded her unconscious. An unfamiliar purple field exposed itself completely to the bright sky, calling out. Its aura sent a chill throughout her body, as if piercing cold necklaces on bare skin. A new grass field hummed with a quiet urgency; in the distance, a girl with a white dress gazed outwards. Warmth began to spread throughout, triggering more distinct flashes.

             One flash peered into a house, introducing a girl with a slice of cake. She stood as anyone offering a gift would, her figure a silhouette against the intense brightness of the sliding windows behind her. Purple hues and shadows painted the air as sunset fell and the contour of the clouds ignited into a hazy gold. Two girls joined her in the same attire, their brooding reflection piercing into a puddle. Three moons. The humming grew to a roar, heaving her out of sleep.

             Her body hadn't moved from an upright position. White covers sat atop the bed untidy, discharging their protection and comfort. Streets were quiet, birds still tucked away in their nests. A deep blue night shrouded the outer world, the farthest corners fading into complete darkness. Apartments and houses haven't yet stirred, peering down onto the road. Streetlamps running down the sidewalks shed blips of light onto brick walls and twisting greenery, painting them a flat orange. Farther down, an open window drifted open with an incoming breeze.

             A deep breath. The window behind her glowed, drawing the faint outline of her dresser and door into being. Along the opposite wall stood her bookcase, not grandiose but still significant. Books of many different years and sizes in their proper groupings, all an invitation. Not quite illuminated, stories from her childhood stood on the bottom row back to back. Above it lived the fantasy phase, dotted with tales of Athena and other legendary adventures. The remaining two shelves remained without a proper identity, a more lively jumble of albums, gifts, and a peculiar book by "Hickam". If her bag ever found itself with more space than usual, her curiosity would bring it with her to school someday.

             She stretched across the length of the bed, bringing up a yawn. Arms brushed against the hundreds of stands of her hair as they collapsed onto the blanket - those bound together likely came from her body crushing them from above for hours on end. She thought of her phone to the right of the bed, face-down on a desk. In a primitive crawl, her hand found its chilled scarlet case, the screen popping into existence, flooding light upon sore eyes: October 9th, 6:02 am. Another Monday morning to kick off the school week.

             Debating for a bit, she slid the covers to the side, her legs tense against the outer temperature. Making a quick shuffle towards the door, the noise of her feet became a banging racket to the house, still fast asleep. Flicking on the bathroom light switch, the door shut and the shower ran with an alluring warmth and pressure.

             After a while, the dead morning began to whisper. Somewhere outside, a door creaked open. The shower head came to life again, and an alarm clock rang. By 6:40, breakfast began wrapping up and two kids with small umbrellas in their arms trudged down towards the bus stop. She checked the mirror one last time, then headed out in their direction.