Back in Business

Starry Night (in progress)

"So… who all has their partners?"

    Heejin had gathered the 7 of them together, in an effort to piece it all together. Lip stood near Yves, the most obvious to understand given the recent events. ViVi and Jinsoul gathered next. Before they continued, Lip went up to their hands together.

    "And this'll work?" ViVi blurted out, before anything had happened.

    "Worth a shot."

    True to her word, both ViVi and Jinsoul vanished after a moment's notice, returning just as wide-eyed as Lip and Yves must have been. As the rest stood alone, Yves spoke up.

    "Being in Eden, we were taught a little bit about these things, so… after all the time we've spent there and what we've seen, I've seen glimpses of a few of your faces before. Olivia Hye is -"

    "With me," Heejin finished. "I tried to show you all and explain it in person but… everything started happening one after the other. As you all probably know firsthand."

    "Okay, so Heejin is covered. Hyunjin?"

    Hyunjin opened to speak, but she hesitated. "I was able to help others from time to time, but I've never actually, well, met my own twin."

    "Well, alright, that's fine, we'll get back to you. I recognize you," Yves pointed out Haseul. "You were the girl Chuu described seeing. The last girl I stayed with also had a twin," Yves turned back to Hyunjin, "but… it couldn't have been you, she had actually been in Eden for a while…"

    Hyunjin turned to Heejin. "That must have been… Yeojin."

    Heejin gave a slow nod, looking back at Yves, who continued, "So, it might be up to Hyunjin to bring out this last girl. The only issue, however, is returning you safely. And considering how I treated Olivia Hye the last time… I'm not sure it'd be best for me to go back there and get her out. Alone, that is..."

    "Wait, she's ending up back in Eden?" Jinsoul returned, a disheartened expression across her.

    Heejin took out a cherry from her bag, watching as it swung underneath her finger. "They always switch spots. Somebody has to end up in Eden."

    After a couple moments of silence, Lip spoke up. "Can we just wait until the morning? I want us all home, fully awake… fully capable to carry this out."

    The group came to an agreement at that, returning to their rooms.

~ ~ ~

    Before they knew it, morning had come - Lip woke on the couch, having offered her place on the bed to ViVi. Over the next ten to twenty minutes, they woke one by one, a minimal exchange of words between them. Though Lip didn't shy away from the task at hand, she couldn't bring herself to motivate others without a tinge of superficiality. She also realized that it was that same superficiality Olivia Hye must have seen that night - in her position, Lip would have either been destroyed or furious… or a dangerous combination of both. As the minutes went by, the girls clambering into the van, she promised she'd stand up for them in quiet ways - in little favors, in supporting their endeavors, and even in their mistakes. She wouldn't aim to steer anyone else into becoming an Olivia Hye when the moment calls for it. They'd all have to live for each other.

    Behind her, Yves tapped her shoulder, asking for a drink. Lip got up and grabbed a bottle of water, handing it to her. Taking it, she placed it at the back of her seat and rested her arms on Lip's headrest. Leaning her head forward, Yves's proximity pushed Lip's face away in a grin.

    "So," Lip initiated, "what was it really like there? Inside Eden?"

    "Not perfect, for one. The only reason we're out and about is because we learned how to reject things for the way they are. We're all given our own room, all of them different based on who it's for. I suppose if you entered from the outside world, it'd be easier to pull yourself out, but for us four girls, it's all we knew.

"It's been a long while since I've been out, but I still couldn't tell you how long I must have been there, in my own room. Even now, every detail and placement… etched into my head. There's probably plenty more girls still there, but if they don't stand up for themselves at some point they'll never muster the courage to open the door. We haven't been friends with Hye for all that long before everything started happening - the day after she came out, you had come to find Jinsoul."

Lip rested her head on the window, traffic ahead slowing for the stop light. "What happened?"

"She won't say. I'm guessing she wandered out late one night, and saw something she wasn't ready for. But, we're all putting it in the past - at least we're out now."

A flare from the sun caught Lip's eye - they aren't out quite yet.

~ ~ ~

At the home, the girls had split into two teams - one to operate in Eden, the other to rescue this last girl back at home. Yves was the first chosen to help in Eden, with her knowledge of its workings and locations - Lip and Jinsoul figured they would be the most helpful with her, having the most experience of seeing beyond the veil. Once Hyunjin phases into Eden, the last girl will switch and they'll all carry on with their jobs.

"Afterwards," Jinsoul continued, "we'll do what we can to reunite the Eden girls and to find Yeojin. So, for you all," motioning to the remaining members, their bags at their feet, "you'll be searching for that girl on your side. Listen to Heejin," Heejin raised her hand, "and we wish you the best of luck."

Hyunjin grabbed her bag and headed upstairs, the rest of the team following. Yves continued rubbing her eyes, stopping occasionally in her steps. "I'm fine, it's just been bothering me recently," she reassured. Wiping her face down, she gave a thumbs up.

In a little huddle on the beds, Hyunjin took a cherry out of the can.

"What are you all being so dramatic for?" She smiled, her eyebrows slightly furrowed. "Either we're able to finish the job or we aren't, but at least we're out here making an effort. We've gotten this far without a true grasp onto everything that's been going on, right? We're made for this. Let's bring it home."

She took a bite. They followed suit.