Two

Cold Blood

CHOI SEUNGCHEOL:

Everything froze around us and the familiar feeling of a curtain being strung over my eyes, concealing me from the outside would was present again. I felt like Jeonghan was the only one who could see me and not the one on the outside: the weird, confusing, slightly mysterious mask I sometimes liked to hide behind, but the person hiding beneath the shell. The slightly shy, yet sometimes courageous teenager, who still remains single without an ounce of romance in his body.

Jeonghan smiled and I felt like I wasn’t the only one seeing and feeling this — he was too. I could see it in the slight twitch of his fingers and the way his neck tilted a little to the side to examine me much closer than before. It felt like he was scanning me for something and it made me uncomfortable. I tore my gaze away from the pale, beauty in front of me and glanced at Jun, who was glaring at the red haired male with his arms crossed. Whoever that male was, it was clear that Jun didn’t like him at all.

“What do you want?” Jun demanded in an angry tone and the red haired said nothing, merely stared intently at him, but then he lowered his gaze and Jun tensed even more. If that was even possible. Seokmin, Seungkwan and Soonyoung got to their feet with Seokmin helping Wonwoo up from the floor.

“We've heard many things about the proclaimed ‘Choi Seungcheol', so we came to see what exactly this famous person was like that seemed to have so much status in the school system. But, why we followed you out, however, was to see if Soonyoung was alright.” One of them said with a small smile. He seemed like the only one in the group that wouldn’t seem infuriating to me. His fingers were intertwined with another that had a strong jawline and sparkling eyes. They looked like a couple and if I was being completely honest, a really, really cute couple too. “Oh, I’m Hong Joshua by the way.” He added and Jun gave him a scowl.

“We don’t really care for your names: everyone knows them anyway.” Jun snapped and took a threatening step forward towards them, but I grabbed his shoulder and jerked him back, turning him to face me. His eyes were alight with a flame I hadn’t seen in so long — I sighed. “Get off me, Coups.” He hissed and I shook my head.

“Not the time, Jun. It’s no where near the time for this and you know that as well as I do. Just because you’ve heard things about them, doesn’t mean they are actually like that.” I replied and Jun pulled out of my grip and crossed his arms over his chest with a slight pout. The red haired boy stared at Jun. “Sorry about him, he’ll behave from now on, right, Junnie?” I asked, nudging him slightly. He scowled and kicked my shin making me cry out. Seungkwan tried to hold in his giggle by putting his hand over his mouth. “I’ll take that as a yes.” I muttered, rubbing my knee. Jun huffed. “I’m Choi Seungcheol ~”

“We know that.” The one holding Joshua’s hand said, matter of a fact kind of way. Joshua shook his head and muttered something unintelligible to the other, which made him smile falsely at us. “I’m sorry, that was rude. I’m Lee Chan.” He said and Joshua smiled at Chan before glancing at us.

“Kim Mingyu.” The tallest one said just as Joshua opened his mouth to speak. Mingyu smiled in accomplishment like the little action had been his mission all along. Chan glared at him and Mingyu laughed like this little feud between them was normal and they were just having a little bit of friendly fun like any other person would do in their daily lives. Some times when you look at someone as gorgeous as the group, you forget that they’re just like yourself in the end. The red haired one tilted his head slightly to the side and narrowed his eyes at me.

“I’m Xu Minghao.” He told me then held his hand out for me to shake, so I did the polite thing and shook his hand. It seemed that Minghao held a certain grudge of me and I predicted that it was because of a certain male standing to my left with a grumpy face. Jun's eyes flickered down to our hands before he quickly looked away, lips pursed and I just knew. Jun liked Xu Minghao: he liked him. I let go of his hand quickly like his touch had suddenly burned me as the realization struck and I smiled at Minghao for a moment before gulping and turning away.

“Lee Jihoon.” The boy who Soonyoung had been ogling during the time in the cafeteria spoke up. He was short, tiny compared to Mingyu standing beside him, but then again Mingyu was like a skyscraper compared to all of us. Jihoon had black hair raining down his face in short, straight strands and dark, opaque eyes. His lips were a pale peach colour to match with his almost colourless skin and scowling expression. He looked pissed off to be standing here talking to us right now and I honestly, could not blame him one bit. I really didn’t want to be here right now either — especially with Jun giving mixed signals to me about whether or not he liked a certain Xu Minghao or just really hated the whole group as a whole. I was starting to lean more towards the second prediction as Jun was still glaring at them all with his arms crossed and that little crease between his eyebrows that he always gets when he’s annoyed or upset. I had a feeling he was both currently.

“And I’m Yoon Jeonghan.” Jeonghan introduced and I really wanted to say that I already knew that and shut him down the way Jun loved to shut the whole entire group down whenever they got out even a single word. It was funny and infuriating at the same time to see the little feud going on between them, even if Jeonghan’s group had no idea it was going on in the first place. Soonyoung seemed to hold something in, but then he quickly bowed and excused himself quietly before sprinting down the corridors and disappearing into the males toilets. Jun glanced at me for a moment before nudging me in Soonyoung’s direction: I sighed and Jun squeezed my shoulder, shoving me this time in the right direction. I tried to kick him, but Jun dodged it and pointed at the toilets silently with a scary look plastered onto his face. Without further argument, I shuffled to the toilets entrance like a sad, kicked puppy.

“Soonyoung?” I asked as soon as I entered. The place stunk of hormones and along with sweat and toilet water. I hated it in here: it reeked. I had always had a sensitive nose, so when I walked into the toilet, I covered my mouth and gagged, shaking my head. I glanced around. The toilet was fairly small, with three stalls along with sinks of flecked marble and a metal thing running along the base of the floor for boys to do there business quickly. I resisted gagging again and turned to where Soonyoung was crouching on the floor and puking his guts up. The lucid smell mixed with the other scents and it was a little overwhelming for my nose, but I pushed through and went to Soonyoung’s side, patting his shoulder in reassurance. Soonyoung looked up before lowering his head back down and releasing the bile from his throat again. I choked silently and looked behind my shoulder at the wall, making a weird face before sighing. I really hated public toilets.

WEN JUNHUI:

Ever since Seungcheol disappeared into the boys toilets to go and see if Soonyoung was alright, an awkwardness like no other settled over us before Seungkwan and Seokmin began arguing over something. I glanced at them. They were looking at a wrapper that Seungkwan had pulled out of his pocket and were examining the back. They were arguing over how much sugar and calories the thing had inside it.

“No, Seokmin. Who do you think you are? A scientist? A nutritionist? No: I know my stuff and yes, I am eating perfectly well thank you very much.” Seungkwan growled, snatching the packet away and examining it closer. “This is just the right amount for my face not to swell a lot in the afternoon.” Seungkwan stated and Wonwoo snickered while Seokmin snatched the wrapped back and waved it in Seungkwan's face.

“This isn’t reliable at all, Seungkwan.” Seokmin retaliated. “You can’t even read what it says: it’s in Chinese!” He protested and Seungkwan snorted, grabbing the wrapper and walking to me, ing the tiny packet into my hands with an expectant look. I huffed and looked at the back.

“You want to know what it says, Seungkwan? Seokmin?” I asked and they nodded. I gestured for them to come closer to listen and they did, leaning in closer. “It says ...” I ripped the wrapped up and whacked them around the back of the head with a sneer. “It says to stop being so foolish and start taking some things seriously. I understand that this is how you have fun, but I’m really not in the mood right now and if you saw that and want to stay alive until you’re 80 then I would slowly back away and stay silent until Soonyoung and Coups get back.” I said and Seungkwan and Seokmin did just that with scared looks. I shook my head and lowered myself onto the floor before burying my face into my hands and shakily exhaling. This day was so not going how I planned it too.

Sure, I had expected a few questions and comments about the popular superior group in the school, but I hadn’t expected one of them to come up to Seungcheol and ask him to sit at their table. It was one deal of a lifetime and Seungcheol had declined for some crazy reason: I know I said I didn’t like them, but there was something that could set you up there for life. Jeonghan was looking at Seungcheol, staring even, and that was something he never ever did. Seungcheol was one lucky male and I guess he just didn’t see that. Someone slid next to me.

“Are you alright?” He asked and I shook my head in my arms before glancing up because I recognized that voice. It belonged to no other than Xu Minghao. Minghao was also from China too, I had heard at least, and it always infuriated me how he would have that slight smirk on his face. And the only thing that made me more annoyed was the fact that the little smirk made my heart flutter in ways it should never. And he always seemed to know that the little twitch of his features made my heart race. I hated it.

“I’m fine.” I snapped and he raised a perfect eyebrow at me in question, his beautiful face twisting gorgeously. I’m ... so in love. I sighed as his eyes sparkled, glinting slightly and shifting to gold. I blinked, but they were back to their normal dark brown colour like nothing had happened. Quickly glancing back to the space in front of my eyes, I shifted uncomfortably. “Fine,” I sighed. “I’m not alright — I have a huge, ing headache. I think it was because of that stupid imbecile, who threw me on the floor.” I stated and Minghao hummed, pulling his knees to his chest and glancing at me from the corner of his eyes.

“I can do something to help if you would like ..?” He asked, trailing off into uncertainty. I thought it was cute that he was so shy about it even though I should be the one being shy as a human being of absolute handsomeness was sitting in my presence and talking to me like he actually cared. Anyone would love for this to happen and I wasn’t complaining either. Although, he should’ve scooted a little further away from me: it was making me feel and think things I shouldn’t.

“If you can take the headache away then I won’t hate you.” I said, my voice turning slightly desperate as this headache was killing me. It was like it was twisting my brain into knots and pushing them against the edges of my skull. It was agony. Minghao smiled softly at me before reaching up and wiping the bangs from my forehead and tucking it behind my ear. An unhelpful blush spread across my cheekbones. Minghao's fingertips brushed my temple and a warmth spread through my head, chilling the headache until it disappeared completely. Minghao winced, squeezing his eyes shut tightly for a moment before opening them again to smile at me. I stared at him, dumbfounded. “How did you ..?” I trailed off into silence. He looked at his knees, eyes hazy from something I couldn’t place.

“There are things in this world that are stronger than your wildest imaginations, Jun.” My name on his lips sent shivers running down my spine in waves. Of course, he had said my name before, but both of them times it had been with a certain amount of malice and hatred in each syllable: now, however, he was saying my name with a warmth I had never heard before. It was confusing. “There are some things that make this world tick: hidden beneath the fabrics of the different layers of the Earth — sometimes they’re in plain sight while other times they are concealed. You never know who and where they could be.” He explained. I stared at him, perplexed.

“Does that mean that you’re ... one of those beings ..?” I questioned before the thoughts rattled in my head, reeling me back to reality. A harsh laugh slipped from my lips at the stupid thought. Minghao was human! A normal human being like the rest of us! He still had blood and veins running beneath his skin and a beating heart. It seemed like Minghao had stopped breathing. “I’m an idiot. You being a superior being — ha, no; that’s just wishful thinking.” I muttered and Minghao shifted, his feet moving outwards in front of him before he glanced at me. There was sadness in his gaze — and not just for the span of his life, but for the span of centuries: like he had been missing something for a very long time.

“How is it wishful thinking?” He asked and I hummed, my palms sliding across my knees and down my calves, caressing the fabric of my jeans like it would calm me down. And it did. I was so nervous right now.

“Well, everyone dreams of a supernatural being in their life when they’re younger — it’s a fantasy little kids envy. You read books and watch movies about these characters that have a huge journey and find love: a happy ending and a development. You envy them as they have an exciting life while you’re a kid, imagining things and going to school, waiting for a day that someone asks you out, hoping someone will feel the same. Hoping that you’ll have something exciting in your life and despite how hard you wish for it, that dream never comes true.” I explained and he nodded in understanding, lips twisting down into a frown.

“But, why would you wish for a monster?” His intense gaze locked onto my face and I gulped, adverting my eyes to the floor as he continued to stare at me, lips pulling down further. The question had some truth in it, a supernatural being wasn’t something that was meant to be made like Frankenstein’s monster or werewolves and vampires: they weren’t meant to exist. Except they had and wishing for something fictional and dangerous was just plain stupid — even for me.

“Not everyone of the fictional supernatural beings are monsters.” I argued and he irked an eyebrow, challenging me to prove my point against him. “Sure, originally they weren’t meant to have been made. For example, werewolves and vampires came to exist because of a disease and as such were hunted. But, the thing is, they’ve evolved from the rabid pack animals and monsters everyone deceives them to be: werewolves live in packs and protect each other: they fall in love and breed. They take care of each other. Vampires find love too and mate: they have a group and help and care for each other. Just because they look scary and terrifying, doesn’t mean they have a bad, ice cold — black heart like people write them out to be.” I told Minghao and he grinned.

“You’re one smart cookie, Wen Junhui.” He murmured and I sighed, inhaling a long breath before shaking my head in disagreement.

“I’m merely stating facts. I don’t see the world how others do: Coups says that all the time and most of the time, he’s joking, but there has been times when he’s completely serious.” I said, voice small and timid. Minghao laughed although his eyebrows had knitted together.

“Are you and Seungcheol an item?” He questioned and my eyes snapped to him, widening in horror, mouth falling open in utter shock. He looked confused. “So, is that a yes or no ...” He trailed off when I started to laugh, clutching my stomach and Minghao winced, rubbing his temples slightly and I stopped, abruptly.

“No, Minghao, God no. Me and Cheol?— no.” I said, almost bursting into laughter again at the mere thought. Me and Seungcheol? The thought was ridiculous in itself and the fact that Minghao had even thought of it was surprising. What was even more surprising, however, was the look of relief spreading across Minghao’s features. It made me question whether or not he liked Seungcheol: I mean who wouldn’t? Seungcheol had many ravishing qualities that anyone — male or female — would fall head over heels for. It must’ve been nice to be as perfect and loved as Seungcheol was compared to me. “Why do you ask?” Minghao adverted his gaze and chuckled, awkwardly.

“Well, you see, someone I know likes your friend — no, I mean, is interested in them and I thought that you were together — I mean, we thought you were together with how close you were. You seemed pretty touchy with each other.” He said the ending bitterly and I chuckled. Minghao was cute when he was stuttering.

“That’s because I literally have known Seungcheol my whole life. When we were younger, we used to take baths together when my parents babysat him. I wouldn’t be surprised if people thought we were a fling because we spend so much time together, but we’re just friends. I’ve never once had feeling for Seungcheol and neither has he had any for me.” I said and Minghao smirked.

“My friend will be delighted by the news.” Minghao told me and I hummed in amusement, leaning back and closing my eyes when Minghao nudged me. My eyes fluttered open just as Soonyoung and Seungcheol made their way out of the bathroom, both stunk of bile and dirty toilet water. I gagged on reflect as they got closer and saw Seungkwan, Wonwoo and Seokmin do the same.

“What the hell happened in that toilet? I mean, I get the dirty toilet water smell, but the puke ...” Seokmin paused when Soonyoung paled again, turning and running back into the toilet. Seungcheol walked to me and sat down: I turned to look at Minghao, but he wasn’t next to me anymore — he was talking to Jeonghan and glancing at us. Seungcheol sighed.

“Soonyoung’s not feeling well, I guess.” Seungcheol muttered and rubbed his forehead, stressed. “This day is so not going well and I’m pretty sure class has started.” He told me and I checked the time, eyes widening when I saw that we had indeed missed first class and were definitely late. Seungkwan strode over to us and collapsed onto the floor, Wonwoo and Seokmin copying him. Seungkwan wiggled between me and Seungcheol, leaning back against the wall and letting his head fall onto my shoulder with a huff.

“I’m bored.” Seungkwan said and I patted his head, calmly before getting up from the floor and stretching my legs. I reached out to pull Seungcheol to his feet and he took my hands, pulling himself up. Seungkwan fell to the side, dramatically and groaned, rolling over, but not getting up. Seokmin crawled on top of him with a laugh when Seungkwan shrieked some profanities — Wonwoo got up before diving on top of them. They both groaned in unison at the heavy weight and I sighed.

“What am I going to do with you lot?” I asked, turning to smile at Minghao for a moment, but the whole group had disappeared off somewhere. I couldn’t deny the tiny speck of disappointment burrowing in my stomach or the hope in my heart that was stomped on. I shook my head with a frown. “Come on guys, let’s get to class.” I whispered and Seungcheol glanced at me, worriedly, but I waved away his concern with a small exhale of breath. I wished Minghao had stayed.

YOON JEONGHAN:

“You shouldn’t have used your powers on Wen Junhui, Hao!” I shouted. We were out in the courtyard of the school. All the students were still in class and we had just left that strange little group alone in the corridors. I could tell that Minghao and Jihoon didn’t want to leave there — Minghao was feeling protective over Jun because of the new student: Choi Seungcheol and Jihoon was worried about Soonyoung. I’ve told them countless times to not get themselves into trouble with the humans. “Now, what is he going to think about you? About us?” I demanded and Minghao crossed his arms, while the others in the group stood back and watched silently.

“Is that all you care about?” He said, quietly, but because of our enhanced senses, I picked up the mutter quite easily. Minghao’s red hair fell into his eyes: now red from anger. “We hide our true selves all the time, Jeonghan, so this tiny clue wouldn’t change anything. Jun was hurting and I had to help him — he’s ... he’s important to me.” Minghao struggled to find the right words and I sighed, all the anger and frustration draining out of me like a balloon being deflated. Minghao had a point — we hid ourselves all the time and barely ever communicated with humans, if ever, so not very many people would’ve picked up the tiny slip-up Minghao had made. But, Wen Junhui was smart, more observant than others gave him credit for and I’ve seen the way he looks at Minghao. He’s going to be paying extra attention to him.

“Fine, I’ll let it slide this time.” I told him and Minghao smiled at me, relaxing against the wind. “But, when we get back, you and me have to talk. Alone.” I growled and Minghao gulped, but nodded nevertheless. The others seemed to unfreeze at my words and they all trotted forward and I turned to the forest a couple metres away from the school. They say that the forest is for ‘nature' purposes, but I don’t believe any of that. If that was true, then they wouldn’t let so many people litter on the edges of the trees and a few feet in the maze of branches and leaves.

“What are you thinking, hyung?” Hansol asked and I shook my head, shaking away the thoughts that threatened to spill over the edge of my mind. I closed my eyes and listened to the chirping of birds in the forest and the whine of deer's further on. There was more than just small animals in that forest, there were wolves: rabid pack animals if you ask me. Disgusting and vile.

“I’m thinking that we need to get closer to this ‘Seungcheol' and his group. They may know too much.” I whispered. Silence enveloped us all, closing off any of the doubt I had about the situation.

We had to keep that group quiet.