Three

Cold Blood

WEN JUNHUI:  

The next day consisted of normal things; me and Coups went into class with tired eyes and small smiles on our faces, Wonwoo, Seokmin and Seungkwan argued and bickered a lot.

Seungcheol turned out to be one of the smartest people in the class which honestly wasn’t that much of a surprise and by the time it was Lunch, all the rumours of Cheol had spread across the entire student body.

I sighed as I lowered myself into my seat, abandoning the thought on getting Lunch as I didn’t have much of an appetite. I knew that Cheol would eventually stir up some rumours and gossip, but I hadn’t expected it to be this big and exciting. It was draining me.

Millions of students had come up to me asking about Cheol and I was getting tired of it: why couldn’t they just ask him themselves and not come to me? Seungcheol got up and went into the cafeteria area — I could see everyone’s eyes following him until he disappeared.

“I wish Seungcheol wasn’t as popular as he seems to be right now.” Wonwoo muttered, voicing my thoughts out loud and the others nodded in agreement. “It would be so much easier if he was at the level we are, so people weren’t crowding around us like they were today: it’s just annoying and ... and overwhelming.” Wonwoo told us and I hummed.

“My thoughts exactly.” I said and Seungcheol made his way back over to us with a huge smile on his face, sitting in the chair and swinging his feet onto the table. I groaned when people started whispering and giggling: he was getting so much attention to the point where he was getting as popular as Jeonghan’s group. And it was ruining my friends lives. Seungcheol looked at me.

“Are you alright, Junnie?” He asked, eyebrows knitting together as he opened the straw and stuck it into the milkshake, taking a long sip. I sighed because I knew that Seungcheol wasn’t going to see the millions of students eyes on him all the time: he’s been like this since he was younger — not believing when someone said he was amazing at something.

I guess it kind of annoyed me in a way: the fact that he was so amazing at something and put himself down all the time. But, now that he goes to the same college as me, I can reassure him that he’s fantastic at something.

“Is everything okay?” He repeated and I blinked, turning to gaze at Jeonghan’s table. My eyes automatically found Minghao and I frowned.

“I ... Coups, your popularity is ... it’s causing us problems. Not just me, but the whole group and I just think that you should tone the coolness down a little. There’s too much pressure on me and the others — everyone keeps pestering us for every tiny detail about you and we’ve had enough, Coups. It’s too much to deal with.” I said and Seungcheol put his milkshake on the table before standing up.

“Well, maybe I shouldn’t sit with you anymore.” He said before turning and walking away. Wonwoo, Seokmin and Seungkwan looked at me for guidance while Soonyoung blinked like he was confused and leant back in his chair. I jumped to my feet.

“Come on, Coups, you know I didn’t mean it like that!” I shouted and he spun around, staring at me with something unknown in his eyes that I had never seen before. I approached him cautiously like he was a scared animal. When I was standing in front of him, I leant closer until only he could hear me. “I am not putting you down because you’ve never been to college before: I’m not telling you to stop being who you are, I just want you to tone it down.” I hissed and he pushed me back. I stumbled and fell on my backside, groaning in pain.

Seungcheol took a step back, face twisting in shock. He turned to leave again.

“Coups, wait!” I exclaimed, stumbling to my feet and reaching out for him, but he had already disappeared. The door slammed shut behind him. I huffed and strode back to my table, face twisting in anger. Not only had he stormed out and had been selfish, but he had humiliated me in ways people would remember for the rest of their lives at college. I slammed my hands on the table, breathing heavily until someone placed a chocolate cookie in front of me along with a chocolate milkshake. Everyone gasped.

“I’m sorry about Seungcheol, Jun, but I’ve seen that a chocolate milkshake and cookie can cheer you up in no time. So, I bought these for you.” I glanced up. Minghao was standing in front of me with a gentle, warm smile on his face and I felt my heartbeat pick up, blush spreading across my cheekbones.

But, I couldn’t be feeling these things right now: most certainly not when my best friend had just walked out of the cafeteria in a fit of rage and misunderstanding.

“Listen, Minghao, thank you for the food and drinks, but buying me things isn’t going to improve my mood any more than it already is. I get that you’re trying to help me and I thankful for that, but I’m really not in the mood to eat something right now, so please just leave.” I muttered and Minghao stared at me before looking at the others with a slight smile.

“My friends and I would like it if you would join us at our table for Lunch.” Minghao told them and Seokmin's mouth dropped open in shock. My eyebrows knitted together in confusion because the group wouldn’t just let us into their friendship group so easily: there must’ve been a reason for this.

I just had no idea what that reason was, but I would find out and soon. I started to protest, but Minghao held his hand up, stopping me in my tracks.

“We would be honoured if you could join us. And we insist you come along.” Minghao added and the others got up with hazy eyes, nodding in agreement. Minghao then looked at me and the world stopped for a moment. “You too, Jun.” He said and I blinked, standing up quickly.

He smirked slightly and the others made their way to Minghao’s table with unreadable expressions. I grabbed Minghao by the collar and dragged him closer to me.

“What did you do to them, Minghao?” I growled and Minghao looked slightly shocked for a moment before regaining his posture and facial features — he smiled at me. I glared at him. “I’m not joking, Xu Minghao, tell me what the you did to my friends.” I said and Minghao shook out of my grip before grabbing my wrist and tugging me to his table.

“I’ll explain everything soon, but we have to be alone. No one and I mean no one can know what I tell you, okay?” He asked and I nodded, dumbfounded because Minghao was actually agreeing to what I was saying and Minghao barely ever agrees to anyone, so the fact that he did say yes to me made something warm blossom in my stomach.

I had never felt this way before and it was driving me insane.

“I’ll explain, but first, Jeonghan needs to get Seungcheol.” I looked at the table and jerked my wrist out of Minghao’s hold before staring at Minghao with wide eyes. Minghao turned back to look at me. “What?” He questioned and I gaped at him.

“Are you joking? Yoon Jeonghan? With Choi Seungcheol?” I demanded and Minghao nodded, perplexed. “Hao, Seungcheol's attitude is indescribable when he’s in a bad mood: Jeonghan being there will make things ten times worse. He’s expecting me to leave him to cool down and then go after him: Jeonghan going after him merely five minutes after he’s got fired up means he’ll be like a bomb waiting to explode. Him and Jeonghan won’t mix well.” I explained and Minghao waved away my concern, a little shocked at the nickname.

I don’t know why I said it, but I did and I liked saying it. It sounded right — natural even.

“Jeonghan is fine: he can keep his own quite well if it amounts to a physical fight.” Minghao told me with a small smile. That didn’t make me feel any better. “Besides, Jeonghan’s pretty persuasive when he wants to be or has to be.” He added.

I sighed because I knew that he was right: I had seen Jeonghan being pretty persuasive with the teacher when he had gotten an A- in History only because he hadn’t used a proper pretext in his work.

I had seen the way the teacher caved and redid his score until the A- was replaced with an A+. It was mind boggling to watch and I knew that Minghao also had them kind of persuasive powers, but refused to use it frequently.

“Is that what you did to my friends?” I demanded and Minghao looked back at me with a small exhale of breath and an annoyed sheen in his eyes.

“Jun ...” He trailed off as I shook my head, jabbing his chest in anger.

“I’m not waiting around for you to hurt the people I love and care about, Minghao. You and your little group think that you’re so superior and above everyone else. Well, guess what? You’re not, so stop downgrading us like we’re scum on the bottom of your shoes, for ’s sake. I know that Jeonghan leads your group, but ~”

“Jeonghan doesn’t lead anything.” Minghao interrupted and I irked an eyebrow at him with a look of absolute disbelief because what he was saying was not true. At least I didn’t think it was — he was only defending himself and Jeonghan.

I could see why he would do that as they were friends, but it was plain obvious that Jeonghan was the leader of the group as he always took charge and ordered the others around. So much to the point that it was blatantly obvious with the way they looked to him in certain situations when they needed to be told what to do.

“Others that are higher than us tell us what we can and can’t do, Jun.” He whispered so that no one else could hear. I crossed my arms with a scowl.

“I'm not falling for your trick, Xu.” I snarled before getting in his face. His eyes flashed red and not that little glassy look of colour, but actual red. “I don't want to associate myself with people that can hurt the people I care about and you ... you ... I don’t even know you.” I said, reluctant to walk away and leave, but I knew I had too. Minghao took a step towards me and I took a step back in turn.

“No one has ever defied me, Wen Junhui, and it’s not about to start now.” He growled. Shivers travelled in waves down my spine at his voice. It was like a dog’s growl mixed with a lion’s roar: it was a sign of danger and a warning to be cautious. “You will come to the table to me and you will obey what I say.” He hissed. My legs felt like lead when he glared at me and my throat felt dry. I my lips, nervously.

“No, Xu Minghao.” I said and the feeling of my legs resurfaced as he looked shocked. “I won’t bow down to people like you. I won’t be a coward and let you bring down people and hurt my family like you just did. I don’t know how you did that, but I’m going to find out and as for my payback ...” I brought my hand up and slapped him around the face with all my might.

People gasped and heads turned our way, but I barged past Minghao and clicked my fingers at Seokmin, Seungkwan and Wonwoo, who had sat down at the table with confused looks and wide eyes at the scene in front of them.

“Guys, come on!” I shouted and they scrambled to their feet, sprinting over to me and I turned to glance back at Minghao, who was clutching his cheek and staring at me in shock. I winked at him before disappearing out the door with the others following behind me.

“What happened back there?” Wonwoo asked and I shrugged.

“Minghao was being a prick.” I stated then looked ahead. “But, forget about that right now. We have a Seungcheol to find and if Minghao’s being truthful then a certain Yoon Jeonghan too.” I said and Seungkwan, Wonwoo and Seokmin shared a glum look.