One

Cold Blood

Choi Seungcheol:

This was my first day of college and the only reason that I had enough money to afford everything that came with college was because of Jun. Jun's family are really wealthy and they’ve known me since I was two, so they didn’t pass off the opportunity to help me get a good education. It kind of hurt my pride that they had to pay for it, but Jun's parents have told me numerous times that they just want to help out and give me the best opportunities in life. I’m forever thankful for them, but now, standing in front of the gates of the college with Jun by my side, I’m starting to regret asking Jun about his thoughts on attending college. Curse Jun and his talkative nature.

“Remember what I told you, Seungcheol.” Jun said, opening the doors for me and leading me inside. Jun had gotten my schedule the previous week as I was pretty much starting in the middle of the academic year, but Jun had told me not to worry as it wasn’t that big of a deal. He had given it to me on the weekend and yesterday, the staff let Jun and me take a tour around the halls. I’m pretty sure I’ve got this maze of corridors and hallways pretty much memorized by now. Jun glanced at me when I didn’t answer, staring around the college in awe. Even though I had been here yesterday, the sight still managed to shock me; it was so beautiful and elegant — so ... wealthy. So not me. “Wipe that look off your face, Seungcheol.” Jun scowled. “You deserve to study here just as much as any other person walking the corridors of this place. Just because you’re a little shorter on money than the rest of the imbeciles here doesn’t mean you bring yourself down about it.” Jun muttered and I nodded. He was right — I sighed.

“I know, Jun.” I said as our footsteps echoed on the floor. Jun pushed the door to the cafeteria open and the metal slammed against the walls. I didn’t pay attention though, but rather carried on the conversation with Jun. “There’s just things I shouldn’t be seeing like this for example.” My eyes wandered around the cafeteria. It was a massive room with high ceilings and walls with intricate patterns carved into the stone. The archway over the doors was like a thick slab of expensive, beautiful marble with twists and turns of grey, black, white and dark blue. It matched the whole aesthetic of the college perfectly. “I don’t really belong in a place like this, Jun.” I finished and Jun hummed then grabbed my hand and smacked it hard: a thin rod of pain shot through my body. I stared at Jun for a moment as he glared at me, coming to a stop in the middle of the cafeteria.

“Don’t think bad things, Coups.” Jun sometimes liked to call me S.Coups and I guess Coups had just stuck with him as a frequent nickname whenever he could mention it. Sure, at first I hated it, but now I kind of liked how it sounded; it made me feel cooler; much more amazing then I felt right now. Jun smiled, small, the edges of his lips slightly curling upwards. “After all, that is my job.” He said and smirked, beginning to walk away with a slight skip in his step. He came to a stop in front of a table and slid into the seat next to a boy that looked around his age. My mind processed what the just happened and when it finally went in one ear and out the other, I shook my head with a tiny chuckle and started walking to the table when I stopped. I turned to look at a boy surrounded by some others: it was kind of hard not to notice them: they were making so much ruckus. Jun turned to see who I was looking at and shot to his feet with a sad look. I glanced at Jun then back at the boy who was breathing heavily, his eyes darting around the group like a deer in the headlights. I made up my mind in a split second as soon as a tear slid down the boy’s cheek.

“Coups, don’t!” Jun shouted, drawing everyone’s attention to us as Jun tried to clamber over the seats and rush to me, but he tripped and caught himself. I strode to the group and Jun scowled, fixing his clothes and stomping his feet slightly to show that he wasn’t messing around when he called me. Even though I’m older, Jun likes to think that he can boss me around: it’s kind of cute in a four year old way. “Coups, get your over here now!” He exclaimed, but I was already behind the first male I came across and was pushing him away and grabbing the scared male's arm and dragging him off to the table Jun was previously seated at. Jun extended his arm, mouth opening in a silent warning and I pushed the boy out of the way, skidding onto my knees and ducking down just as an object flew over my head and embedded itself into the wood of the table. I glanced back and the male was scowling, eyes malicious as another knife was clutched in his hands. I smirked and he huffed, turning back to his friends and after a hushed conversation, they disappeared out of the doors; not before the male threw the knife into a tray of dirty cutlery and looked back at me, dragging his thumb across his throat. I waved and he disappeared, slamming the doors shut behind him and a silence descended on the cafeteria.

“Choi Seungcheol, you absolute ing irresponsible, stupid, idiotic person! Why the am I even friends with someone like you; I swear to God one of these days I’m going to kick your so hard!” Jun growled, walking up to me and helping me to my feet before I scrambled to the other male on the floor, staring down at it in shock. Helping him to his feet and then the table to where Jun was sitting at, Jun continued with his scolding; to which I could only stay silent and nod. “I told you not to do that heroic ing thing you do and what do you do: go against my wishes! One of these days, Choi Seungcheol, I swear one of these days I’ll have to bail you out of jail!” Jun scowled and I chuckled, helping the male into a seat as he was shaking, legs quaking beneath him. Jun sighed and settled down, done with his little rant. “What’s your name?” Jun asked and the boy’s head shot upwards, eyes sparkling with unshed tears.

“S-Soonyoung; Kwon Soonyoung.” He murmured and I nodded before drawing out the two pieces of paper in my pocket: one was a schedule for the day while the other was a map of the college. Don’t ask me why: Jun suggested it and I wholeheartedly agreed: just because I think I know the place, doesn’t mean I actually do. “T-Thank you for y-you know ... saving m-me.” He stuttered and I hummed, glancing up from my schedule to smile at him.

“It’s what friends do, right?” I asked and Soonyoung’s eyes widened a fraction as he stared at me with utter disbelief and shock written plainly across his features. Clearly no one had initiated conversation with him and offered to be his friend. Then, Soonyoung nodded rapidly: curling in on himself when the door slammed open again. “What the is it with that door and slamming it open?” I questioned, turning to look at the group that had entered. They were ... beautiful. They just were gorgeous and everyone could see it as they were whispering amongst themselves: Jun snorted as Soonyoung lowered his head.

“What’s so high and mighty about them?” He whispered, eyes narrowing at them. One of them caught my eyes and he stared right at me. He looked like he was wearing contacts: bright ocean blue ... almost neon. His hair was white, gliding down his face like snow falling in the Winter and his skin was so pale — he almost looked translucent with the way his eyes glittered in the lights shining upon him. His thin, peachy lips stood out against his pale complexion and I narrowed my eyes just like Jun had done a second ago. One of Jun's friends gasped, slapping my arm with a huge smile.

“Look, look!” He hissed. “Jeonghan’s staring at Seungcheol.” He whispered, voice so low that no one heard him, but they might’ve anyway. With the way people were turning to look where Jeonghan was looking and finding me in the spot suggested mighty that, yes, Jeonghan was staring at me and did I hate the attention: yes. Did I hate his eyes on me? That one’s a no. I turned around in my seat with a shrug, leaning backwards in my chair and putting my feet up on the table.

“I don’t date bad boys.” I said and Jun snorted, using his index finger to shove my boots off the table until they tumbled to the floor, my body jostling in the process. He ruffled my hair before getting up and gliding to the cafeteria and into the space behind the wall which I predicted had all the food stored there. As I said before, it was kind of strange to be in such a fancy place, but now I realise that this school isn’t as different as the highschool I went too. There was the popular and bad kids, the goody-two-shoes and the shy, nerdy kids. It was like highschool all over again. I shook my head as a shout ran through the cafeteria before a male walked out of the space storing food with Jun, his hand on the back of Jun's neck. The male was one of the people in the group from earlier and I stood as he shoved Jun to the floor and Jun hit his head on the floor, groaning in pain. Jeonghan and his friends stared at the scene with little to no sympathy: no emotions; it was like their faces were carved out of stone. I stormed to Jun and crouched down, pushing his fringe back and studying his head for any injuries. Jun shouted in pain and shoved me off him: I scowled.

“Come here you big baby.” I said, gently inclining his chin to look at the back of his head and sighing in relief when there was no injuries — at least none I could see. Maybe a headache sooner rather than later, but that wasn’t anything fatal.

“Coups, you’re a stupid imbecile.” Jun whimpered and I chuckled when the male from before stomped up to us and grabbed my collar, pulling me until I was staring at him: right into his pale, watery eyes. Then he scowled and his already ugly face twisted even more. Jun tried to get to his feet, but cried out in pain as he clutched his head and fell back down again. Soonyoung hesitated slightly before getting up and rushing to Jun, helping him up and to the table with a smile of reassurance my way. I grinned back and turned my head to the side to grin in the males face. He shoved me backwards and I tumbled to the floor. The male brought his foot back and made to kick me, but I rolled to the side and punched him in the gut, my fist connecting with his stomach with a sickening thud. The male grimaced in pain and stumbled back. I put one hand on the floor and swiped my legs under his and he fell, back hitting the floor. I jumped to my feet and slowly approached his side, glaring down at him.

“Touch Jun again; you’ll never see the light of day again.” I grabbed his collar and lifted him slightly until his face was inches from mine. “Got that?” I whispered, dangerously and the male nodded rapidly, eyes frantic. I smirked and slammed him back down onto the floor, standing up and walking back to the table. I immediately drifted to Jun's side and felt his forehead; it was ice cold. Pulling off my jacket, I draped it over his shoulders and he shivered, putting his head in his hands, cradling it. “I’m sorry, Junnie.” I muttered and Jun hushed me, slapping my knee to silence me. After that, I stayed quiet and after a few minutes of absolute silence, Jun lifted his head and stared right at me, smacking the back of my head.

“Goddamn imbecile!” Jun shouted and I grimaced. He must have been feeling better. His head seems alright now. I mused as he sneered at me. “When will you ever learn: I would’ve been fine without your help, Coups!” Jun yelled and I chuckled. “I didn’t even get my chocolate milkshake and cookie.” He sighed in disappointment and his lips drooped into a pout. I squeezed his arm before getting up and walking to the cafeteria and entering inside. I grabbed the chocolate milkshake and a chocolate cookie before placing my hand on the scanner and it recognized who I was, face appearing on the screen. I cringed at my face and walked out of the cafeteria and back to Jun and the table, placing the food on the table. Jun screeched in delight and hugged me quickly before devouring the cookie and this time, thankfully, slowly drinking the milkshake. He sipped at it.

“Hello, I’m Choi Seungcheol as you know by Jun shouting it everywhere in the cafeteria.” I said and the others smiled at me. Soonyoung was staring at the table with Jeonghan.

“I’m Jeon Wonwoo.”

“Lee Seokmin at your service.”

“Boo Seungkwan.” They all introduced themselves and I smiled, eyes twinkling. I looked back at Soonyoung who was still staring at Jeonghan's table and I inclined my head to look at where he was gazing at. I was met with a male with pale skin like the others and black hair like the pale midnight of a freezing night. His eyes were dark brown and they glittered in the light. I smiled slightly then looked back at Soonyoung.

“He’s cute, isn’t he?” I asked and Soonyoung’s head whipped towards me, blush dancing along his cheekbones and he coughed awkwardly. I had just caught him staring at someone across the cafeteria. “Just go and talk to him.” I muttered and Seungkwan gasped, turning to look at me with an agape mouth.

“You cannot be serious!” He exclaimed, looking at Jun with raised eyebrows. “Did Jun not tell you anything about them?” He demanded and I shrugged.

“He mentioned somethings about them, but I don’t really pay attention that much to what he says to me half the time.” I explained and Soonyoung snorted with laughter. Jun sighed.

“This is why I never bring you anywhere.” He murmured. “But, anyways, Coups, they came into the school about a year ago as exchange students and now ... well, they’re hella' popular and gorgeous, you know?” Jun sighed and looked at me for confirmation for something. I stared at him, confused and he sighed again. “Stupid.” He murmured. “Anyways, when they came to the school they were mysterious, hell’ they are now, but everyone’s fallen in love with them from afar. No one’s ever talked to one of them before and you’ll be lucky if they ever look at you ... or stare at you like Jeonghan is currently doing.” He muttered before sipping the straw again. “Oh and by the way, be careful of them, you never know what they get themselves into. Especially with them looks: it’s just screaming danger and chaos, Coups, don’t go near them, alright?” Jun questioned and I nodded. “Jeonghan is the leader of the little group I think: well, he’s the most popular one at least and ... he's still ing staring at you — that’s so creepy. No offense, Coups, but it is.” He said and I turned to look at Jeonghan, only for our eyes to lock and a weird feeling to spread through me. One of them stood and patted Jeonghan on the shoulder, walking towards us and Seungkwan gasped.

“Hansol is coming over: Choi Hansol is coming over!” Seungkwan hissed and hid his face, pretending to stare out the window and I chuckled. Jun was frozen in place, staring at Hansol who stopped by our tables and held his hand out: right in front of me.

“I’m Choi Hansol.” He said before his mouth slightly twitched upwards into a smile. I sceptically looked down at his hand and then took it, shaking it. His grip was surprisingly strong and his hand was calloused and rough. I inclined my head to the side.

“I’m Seungcheol ... although you already know that.” I said with a smile. “Along with the rest of the whole ing cafeteria.” I muttered, bitterly and Jun kicked my shin and I pursed my lips while he crossed his arms with a huff.

“I was saving your .” I let go off Hansol's hand as I realised I was still shaking it and turned to scowl at Jun, who was glaring at me determinedly. “Besides, thing’s need to be said ~”

“And thing’s need to be done. Yes, I know that, Junnie.” I interrupted and he shrugged before settling back into the chair, reaching for his milkshake and grumpily drinking it. Hansol snickered and I looked up at him with a smirk. “So, what do you want?” I asked, getting right to the point and Hansol didn’t seem to care about the slight rudeness in my tone.

“I was wondering if you would like the join us at our table.” He said and I glanced at Jun who dropped his milkshake and it tumbled to the floor, the liquid squirting up and spraying all over me. I shouted and jumped to my feet, chocolate milkshake dripping down my clothes and staining the fabric.

“Jun, you ing idiot!” I shouted and tackled him to the floor, the chair falling backwards. Jun gave a shout and I pulled backwards, running my hands along his sides and tickling the living daylights out of him until he was a laughing mess on the floor. The chocolate milkshake seeped into Jun's clothes as well and he hiccupped through the tears, a huge grin on his face as he shoved me away and looked down at his clothes. He sighed.

“Coups!” He whined and I chuckled, standing up.

“Your fault, Junnie.” I retorted then turned to Hansol, still waiting. “No.” I said and his eyes widened.

“What? What did you just say?” He asked. I folded my arm over my chest and scowled.

“I said no: if I go, my friends have to come too.” I said and Hansol stormed to his table, retreating, and I pulled Jun to his feet, him immediately going to his bag and pulling out a bundle of shirts. “What the ...” I trailed off and Jun grinned.

“For emergencies like this!” He chirped and handed me a spare shirt. I tugged off mine. I wasn’t shirtless: God no, I had a tank top underneath that thankfully wasn’t wet — I had no idea how it wasn’t, but that was great for me. I pulled mine over my head — it was a pale baby blue colour and Jun pulled on a lavender one. It suited him. Once we were done, Jun turned to me. “You have to go and say yes!” He exclaimed and my eyebrows knitted together.

“Weren’t you the one that said to be careful of them?” I questioned and he nodded.

“Well, yeah, but ...” He trailed off into silence and Seungkwan snickered.

“He has a crush on a certain red haired Xu Minghao.” Seungkwan whispered and Jun took off his shoe and chucked it at Seungkwan, who yelped and ducked, falling off the chair. Wonwoo and Seokmin snickered. Soonyoung stayed awfully quiet; his breathing had picked up and Jun seemed to notice this.

“Soonyoung?” He asked and Soonyoung gasped, eyes fluttering and he got up, about to run to the door, but tripped and fell over. He fumbled for something in his pocket and pulled out something while Jun got up with a glance in my direction and slowly approached him. I was frozen: panic attack: I used to get these all the time when I was younger and Jun always helped me through it. He kneeled by Soonyoung’s side then turned to me.

“Coups, he needs air.” He said, frantically then looked at Soonyoung and whispered encouraging words to him as Soonyoung was gasping now. Jun looked back at me. “Coups.” He said, pleadingly. I unfroze and got to my feet, running to their side. Jun pulled me closer. “I know you struggle with this, Coups, but Soonyoung is hurting right now.” He whispered in my ear and I nodded. “You need to carry him outside — he can’t walk.” Jun told me and I scooped Soonyoung off the floor and began walking to the door and Jun pushed the door open after telling the others where we were going.

“You’ll be alright, Soonyoung.” I murmured, gently lowering him onto the floor. Jun tried to calm him down and help him get a normal breathing pattern again without hurting him by slapping his face. He had once done that to me when I had a panic attack and it didn’t really go well; he was young and it was my first panic attack with him by my side. Let’s just say that Jun learns from his mistake; no matter how much it looks like he doesn’t. The door creaked and I looked up to see three males walking out of the cafeteria, glancing around the space until their eyes landed on us. They were pale and beautiful. One of them was the one Soonyoung had been ogling, one was a red haired male and the third and finally guy was ... Jeonghan. Jun didn’t seem to notice them and glanced at me, a slight frantic look in his eyes; one hand on Soonyoung’s shoulder as the said male gasped for air, tears running down his face.

“Coups.” Jun muttered and when I shook my head to focus on Soonyoung, Jun clicked his tongue a little impatiently. “I’m only partially experienced, Coups. And I only know this because of you: you need to calm Soonyoung down; you know what’s happening and what he’s going through right now. You need to calm him down or he’s going to pass out.” Jun snapped and I stared down at Soonyoung for a moment before sighing and falling onto my knees, reaching for Soonyoung’s hand and rubbing circles on his palm. Whenever I had a panic attack, I always found this circulating motion relaxing; it helped me breathe normally again.

“Soonyoung I want you to breathe in for me. Big, deep breaths for six seconds.” Soonyoung tried to do what I instructed, failing a few times, but after a minute, he nodded. I smiled slightly. “Good. Now, I want you to hold that breath for seven seconds.” I said and he did as he was told, this time being able to do it faster. “You’re doing great, Soonyoung; let that breath out now. For eight seconds. Six ... seven ... eight. In ... hold ... out.” I ordered and he nodded, doing what I said. He did it for a few minutes and his breathing started to even out again.

“Inhaler ... I have an inhaler.” Jun offered and I scowled at him, shoving him, making him tumble to the floor as he was crouched on his knees. Soonyoung giggled as I stared at Jun with an unreadable look until he burst out laughing and I couldn’t help, but join in.

“You seriously are a , Wen Junhui.” I said and he grinned with a shrug, beginning to get to his feet when Seungkwan and Seokmin burst out of the cafeteria giggling with an angry Wonwoo chasing after them, shaking his fist and shouting curse words. Some of them should never be repeated in writing or in speech; it was a foul language. Seungkwan and Seokmin slipped past the trio standing silently to the side and they skidded to a stop next to us, panting, but laughing as they tried to hide behind us. It was kind of funny and enduring how the duo acted like little kids and Wonwoo was acting like the frustrated parent. Speaking of Wonwoo; he sighed and scowled at the duo with cold eyes. Jun laughed.

“What did they do now?” Jun asked and Wonwoo scowled again at the certain memory me and Jun had no part in. It kind of made me laugh a little bit at the face he was making and the fact that Seokmin and Seungkwan were exchanging mysterious, cheeky glances made me think that something was going on. Wonwoo wiped his brow and a black line smeared across his forehead and Seungkwan and Seokmin erupted into snickers. Jun gasped and put his hand over his mouth to hide his smile while I sniggered, not even trying to conceal it. Soonyoung snickered with Seokmin and Seungkwan, high-fiving them with a huge grin. I was happy the Soonyoung felt better because that he just went through is painful and it was scary for me to see someone like Soonyoung going crazy out of his mind.

“I see what they did now.” I said and Wonwoo shook his head, raising his eyebrows in question, but then his face twisted into understanding and he hastily pulled his phone out of his pocket and turned it on, examining himself in the camera lens. He growled at the picture he saw and the thick black line running across his forehead.

“Seokmin! Seungkwan! I’m going to ing rip your throats out and bury them before coming back for your bodies. I’m going to skin you alive and rip your eyeballs out, you dirty scum-bags!” Wonwoo shouted and the door opened, the rest of the trio's group walking out and stopping, raising their eyebrows at the scene in front of them. Wonwoo was standing over Seokmin and Seungkwan with his hand raised and his phone was in his hand making him look more menacing with an actual weapon while Seungkwan and Seokmin were still laughing. It was kind of crazy how hilarious they found this and Jun cursed in Chinese when he saw them walking towards the trio. The red haired male snapped his head towards Jun and smirked at his face: Jun glared right back at him. Seungkwan handed a wet wipe to Wonwoo that he pulled out of his pocket — seriously where was this stuff coming from? — and Seokmin laughed at Wonwoo's death glare towards them, eyes turning into crescents. Wonwoo rubbed away the black smear on his forehead then chucked the wet wipe at Seokmin, but it ended up flying into Jun’s face. Seungkwan giggled.

“You’re so dead, Wonwoo. Say hello to Hell for me, yeah?” Seungkwan teased while Wonwoo shot Jun a furtive glance. Jun peeled the wet wipe off his face and slowly got to his feet, eyes narrowing into slits and Wonwoo gulped.

“Yeah, Wonwoo, say hello to Hell for me.” Jun repeated, dropping the wet wipe and diving at Wonwoo, tackling him to the ground. They started to play fight and I sighed, getting to my feet and brushing off the dirt on my knees. Then, I walked to the two squabbling on the floor and grabbed Jun by the back of his collar and lifted him off Wonwoo and placed him on his feet. Seokmin, Soonyoung and Seungkwan were cackling behind us and I felt like the only responsible one for a moment before someone unexpected spoke.

“They’re almost as bad as you and Minghao, Mingyu.” Jeonghan stated then laughed lightly, patting Mingyu's shoulder as he did so. My eyes snapped towards him and our eyes locked; the whole world freezing around us.