[4]

Étoile
‘So.’ Yeri smiled after a little awkward silence overtook the table. ‘Can I ask something now?’ Her eyes shined with that childlike excitement and Irene wasn’t sure she wanted to say yes.




‘Sure.’ She replied anyways.




‘How did you and Wendy meet?’




Silence. Irene looked at Wendy for help. She wasn’t up for telling the story they have memorized.




‘Well!’ Wendy spoke up. Yeri turned her head to her left. ‘Irene and I have known each other since middle school. We weren’t in the same class, obviously, cause she is older, but I always had a fascination with her. She was very well known around school as baephrodite.’




‘Baephrodite?’




‘Bae Irene and Aphrodite mixed together.’ Wendy smiled. ‘She was extremely beautiful, not as much as she is now, but still.’




‘Oh wow.’ Yeri listened.




‘During high school I got to talk to her couple of times, a total disaster may I say.’




‘How bad?’




‘Oh, she couldn’t even finish a sentence. I thought she has a speaking disfunction at first but then I heard her talk with other people.’




‘Okay, that bad.’ Yeri laughed.




‘Hey!’ Wendy exclaimed. ‘Will you guys leave me alone?’




‘No.’ Both replied in unison.




‘Well then Irene, please do continue because I am not talking anymore.’ Said the short haired girl before crossing her hands and leaning back.




‘Okay.’ Irene sighed. Their pasta was long cold by now but who even cares. ‘After many attempts of talking to me, during my last year of high school I guess she got the courage and asked to drop me home with her car. That’s when we actually started bonding and little by little we became friends. Leaving for university was a challenge, we did distance from eachother but once she entered the same university we reconnected again.’ Irene tried to sound lovingly. ‘During my third year she asked me out on a date. I wasn’t into her then but with time I just realized she was all I looked in for a partner.’




‘What was it that won you over?’ Yeri asked curiously.




‘I’ve always said when asked that I want someone who’s caring, who is kind, understands me and my moods and listens to me.’ The oldest girl commented. ‘Wendy, she would bring me coffee and meals when I was stressing over exams, she’d send me songs to listen late at night when I couldn’t sleep, she would always try to make time for me but not be suffocating, always giving me my own space to do things.’




Yeri seemed extremely interested. She was listening, nodding her head as an indicator she was listening.




‘Then I realized I’m falling. And I didn’t want it to stop. We dated for three years before she proposed to me and here we are now.’




‘Wow. This sounds like soulmates story to me.’ The youngest commented.







Irene has read the script many times to memorize it. They had to be in harmony about their background and that was obvious. But something that was very true and real was the description of who Joohyun wants as a future partner.




As someone who hasn’t been in many relationships, two to be exact, both her partners were very disappointing. 




Daniel, he was very charming, very big gentleman, but once you get past through the colorful exterior, he was very much.. grey. He didn’t listen to Joohyun’s wants and needs, often not making time for her, preferring to watch sports with his friends and drink beer. So after five months, Joohyun broke it off.







Couple of years later showed up Sam. Sam Kim was a beautiful girl, a year younger but still, honestly she won Joohyun over with consistency and care. Sam had all qualities that the detective searched for and she thought she had found the one. Wrong. With time, Joohyun realized that the way Sam acts with her is completely different from how she acts outside of her relationship. She was very rude, unhelpful and ‘y’ to her friends, to other people and to her parents even. So Joohyun confronted her and after a big scandal, they broke it off. 




The older girl looked for someone who will be the same with her as with other people. After that she settled for being alone but she wasn’t lonely in any way. Or so she thought.




The past two weeks with another person have proved her very much wrong. She had a lot more to do and having someone’s presence made time fly a lot faster. She had someone to talk to, someone to watch TV with and she didn’t even like watching television, she felt responsibility about things like having food in the fridge, being stocked as a whole. It made her chest feel a little fuller having someone to grocery shop with, someone else to sit during meals with. It was different. New.




Adjusting to a life with someone you don’t know at al is different from when you have dated the person for some time. It’s like you dive in not knowing how deep it is. Wendy was many things. She was messy, she was loud, she was greasy but Wendy was also helpful, kind and caring.




That one time last week when there was only one piece of cake left and Joohyun knew Wendy wanted to eat it. She has been dying for some sweets and they didn’t have much, which did provoke a shopping spree the next day, the cake being the only thing left. It was a carrot cake she had baked the previous day and gave four pieces to Sehun’s house, leaving the other for them. She wanted to eat it but when Joohyun entered with the same idea since she was in that time of the month, Wendy just smiled and gave her the piece. The older detective later saw the girl drinking a lot of water to satisfy her thirst for sweets and it made her feel soft.




Joohyun didn’t know what to do. She didn’t really like dwelling on things so she just pushed her thoughts aside, they had a mission to focus on.




‘Unnies?’ Yeri brought back Joohyun from her thoughts.




‘Yes?’ Wendy replied, looking at her right, full of curiosity.




‘Would you like to join us for dinner tomorrow? We will have a traditional family dinner that we do once a week and Sehun asked me to invite you. It will be just me, Sehun, Sooyoung and Suho.’ 




Wendy looked at Joohyun and she knew immediately they thought the same thing. It will be a greta opportunity to spy on Suho a little, try to put some mics in the house, too. Irene nodded.




‘Yes, of course!’ Wendy clapped cheerfully. ‘Should we bring something?’ 




Yeri shook her head. ‘Just yourselves!’




-




‘Okay, this is our chance.’ Joohyun smiled at the mirror. ‘We have approval from Oh Sehun to put mics around the house and small hidden cameras. We just have to be careful of the sisters.’ 




Wendy came out from the kitchen, nodding her head. ‘I’ll try to cover the second floor, okay?’ 




‘Guys, just try to hide them well but make sure the mic isn’t covered so the sound isn’t muffled. Okay?’ Seulgi can be heard from the earpiece in both girls ears. ‘I will make sure the cameras lights are not seen during the might but for them to still record.’




‘Noted.’ Both replied.




Wendy turned around to look at Joohyun. Wearing a simple blue button up shirt and jeans, flat shoes and her hair in a ponytail, the older detective looked breathtaking. Effortlessly so. 




‘You look good. Should I have dressed up more?’ Wendy looked down at her long sleeve blouse and blue jeans. 




‘Hmm?’ Joohyun turned around. ‘Oh don’t worry, you look great.’ 




Wendy gave her a smile in return. 




‘You guys know Im still here right?’ Seulgi commended. Wendy quickly turned off her earpiece, scratching her neck.




‘Oops?’ She laughed a little when Irene turned hers off too. ‘Shall we go?’ 




‘Grab the wine. Make sure you have everything.’







-




The door was opened by a very much poker face and Wendy’s smile fell immediately. 




‘Sooyoung.’




‘It’s Joy.’ The girls replied before turning around and entering, leaving the door open for the guests.




Wendy looked at Irene. ‘Well that’s a very warm welcoming.’ she smiled awkwardly. ‘Let’s go.’ 




Once inside, Irene closed the door. Wendy was already looking around, getting familiar with the place. It looked very homey, warm, it was notable people were living here. It was a little messy, family photos were all around the walls.




‘Unnies!’ Yeri entered the living room from the back of the house. ‘When did you arrive!’




Wendy smiled at the youngest. She was wearing house clothes by the looks of it, a hoodie and sweatpants, making her look younger. ‘Just now, Soo- I mean Joy opened for us.’ 




‘I see. I hope she didn’t scare you all. C’mon my brother is outside at the barbecue with Suho. Shall we join?’




Irene nodded. ‘Actually I need to use the bathroom first, where is it?’ Wendy passed the wine bottle to her wife before looking around.




‘Upstairs, second door on the left.’ Yeri pointed up. ‘C’mon Irene unnie, let me show you thr backyard. You’re going to love our garden!’ and before Irene can say something she was dragged outside. Wendy laughed at the older’s expression, shaking her head a little. 




‘Okay now is my time.’ Wendy mumbled.




She started going up the stairs, it was dark outside. She was thinking how to approach this, how to put the devices without looking suspicious and she didn’t notice the figure standing at the end of the stairs.




Once she lift her head up, she screamed, almost falling backwards. 




‘Joy!’ Wendy put her hand on her heart. ‘You scarred the shut out of me.’




‘Where are you going?’ The girl asked, eyes boring into the shorter girl.




‘Bathroom.’ Wendy pointed.




‘You just came from your house.’ 




Wendy laughed embarrassed. ‘I have a bladder problem and I drank more water than I should last night.’ 




The taller girl raised an eyebrow skeptically. ‘The second door on the left.’ She pointed before starting to go down the stairs.




Before wendy can stop herself she spoke up. ‘Hey, Joy?’ She turned around. The called girl stopped her way down but didn’t make the effort to go down. ‘I know you probably dislike me and my wife for whatever reason there is but if you ever want to, join your sister to our dinners when your brother is not around. We would love to have you around!’




She didn’t get a reply and the girl continued her way downstairs. ‘Well at least I tried, right?’ Wendy mumbled before climbing the last stair.




-




‘And these are yellow tulips.’ Wendy heard Yeri when she approached them.




‘Those are very beautiful, Yeri!’ she chimed in. Joohyun turned around at the sound of her voice, looking straight at her eyes. A little nod was exchanged to tell her ‘done’ before she smiled.




‘Wendy unnie, thank you! I take care of those. I love tulips.’ 




‘Girls, everything is ready!’ All three turned their heads at the voice, looking at Suho who was waving at them to come.




To his side was Oh Sooyoung, or Joy, having a neutral face, her brother Oh Sehun exactly the same. They were copies of eachother and somehow that cheerful girl right next to them didn’t fit at all. 




As if reading their thoughts she spoke. ‘Look at their boring expressions! Sometimes I wonder how am I even related to them.’ before going forward.




The older detective next to Wendy laughed a little. ‘This kid is something else.’




Wendy smiled. ‘I got upstairs covered, couldn’t enter one room because it was closed, I think it’s Joy’s.’




Irene nodded. ‘Okay I’ll act a little later, let’s eat now I’m hungry!’ And Irene caught the younger girl’s wrist, dragging her to the table full of meat and salads.


A/N: So, Joy finally made a more significant appearance. We will find more about her very soon. For now I wanted you to get to know the lead characters more! Yeri is so cheerful! Or is she really? I'm excited for next chapter cause there will be some detective things going on!