[2]

Étoile
“Welcome to our new home, honey!” Wendy spread her hands, the suitcases on both her sides and Joohyun behind her. The younger girl turned around and smiled. “What do you think?” Joohyun shook her head.




It was a week after they met eachother and here they were, moving to the house they gonna work in for the next 10 months. Wendy was supposed to play the excited wife and in Joohuun’s opinion she was doing it right. She looked cute. 




In the week they had they got to know each other more and Joohyun realized how much of a dork Son Seungwan actually was. They have been appointed new names, Wendy was going by her real name Wendy while Joohyun became Irene. Son Wendy and Son Irene. 




Joohyun’s whole look was changed. Long coats, turtle necks and boots were forgotten and casual shirts and jeans with sneakers were her new go to. She had now had round specs on her nose, fake of course, and she looked like a kid.




Wendy had went for casual looks herself, not much change there.




“Babe, can we go inside now? It’s a bit cold.” Irene whined. The younger girl smiled and reached out her hand to be hold. For someone who said they’re not good at acting, Wendy surely was surprising Irene. The older girl hesitated before she wrapped her hand in hers, feeling warmth entering her body, and she was guided by the door by her friend, now wife.




“C’mon, I want you to be the first to enter.” Wendy smiled. “I feel like it will bring us luck.”




Joohyun was skeptical. “Why?”




Wendy smiled. She had to act, probably the whole neighborhood was watching. She leaned closer to the older girls ear and whispered. “You brought me luck when you entered through the doors of my department.”




Then she was away again, taking the keys out of her pocket, leaving Irene completely bewildered.




“C’mon, the neighbors are all watching.” Wendy pushed the door and gave signal for Irene to enter. The girl stepped inside, looking around. 




She felt a presence behind herself but she was quite curious about the house. Inside was a big hallway, with white marble floor. On the right side you can see a green door, leading to a kitchen. The hallway itself had a mirror and a big wardrobe for shoes and coats. 




“So, are you gonna enter deeper inside or we are going to stay here the whole day?” Wendy asked from behind her, carrying two suitcases in her hands. 




Joohyun moved up. She bas been on many undercover missions but they never includes fancy new houses. They were just miserable poor places where it smelled of tobacco and cheap deodorant.




“Well, what do you think?” Wendy asked, leaving the suitcases inside and closing the door. “I’ll take the other bags later.”




Joohyun nodded. “It’s huge.” 




Wendy nodded. “Let’s go and choose rooms?”




Going upstairs on a beautiful staircase which led to another marble hallway that was decorated as prettily.




“FBI surely has some money.” Wendy commented. “I thought they gonna make us sleep in the same room, probably the same bed, even.”




Joohyun laughed. “Inside here no one knows how we are except of course Oh Sehun, so I don’t think it’s necessary.”




Wendy nodded. Joohyun entered the first room on the right, seeing a beautiful purple and white decorated room. “I’m pretry sure this is my room.” She looked around to see a king size bed with purple sheets, a nightstands on both side and a lamp over. Kim Taeyeon knew her very well.




“Wow, it’s beautiful.” Wendy said in awe. “That is a big wardrobe.” she pointed at the other side of the spacious room. “And is that a flat TV?”  was hanging open. “Damn.”







Joohyun laughed. “C’mon let’s see yours.”




They entered the room across Joohyun’s. It was colored light grey, it was identical to Joohyun’s as interior but the window was bigger and there was a balcony.




“Why do you get the balcony and I get the TV? I don’t even watch TV!” Joohyun whined.




“You can take this room if you want to or just enter and use the balcony whenever you want. I don’t mind.” Wendy smiled. Joohyun softened. 




“Thank you.”




-




The doorbell rang just when Wendy put the last suitcase on the floor in Joohyun’s room. They looked at eachother before turning around to go down. They knew it was probably a neighbor coming to welcome them, wondering who will be the first. They have researched and learned everything about every single person in the neighborhood.




Wendy opened the door with Joohyun behind her. 




Im Naeyeon. 25. Owner of the flower shop down the street and couple more around the country. 




“Hello!” She smiled at them, holding a cake in her hands. “I’m Naeyeon. I live across the street!” 




Wendy decided it’s time to play so she smiled and wrapped a hand around Joohyun’s shoulder, drawing her closer to herself. She felt the older girl tense for a second before she understood what time is.




“Hi!” Wendy replied. “I’m Wendy and this is my wife Irene!” Joohyun nodded shyly, playing her role of the shy girl. She was quite surprised how well Wendy was doing. ‘Can’t act my !’ 




“I baked you guys a cake to welcome you!” Naeyeon handed it to Wendy. “Nice to meet you Wendy and Irene. By the way, you are really rocking that short hair!” Naeyeon told Wendy and winked. So obviously flirting.




Irene cleared  to remind her that she was there. Naeyeon just looked at her not really caring. “Every Saturday I gather the neighbors for a small barbecue in my backyard, you guys are welcome to come! We would love to have you.” She was looking at Wendy saying that.




‘God I want to slap her.’ Irene thought and tensed a little.




Wendy squeezed her shoulder. “Of course, my wife and I love barbecues!” Wendy smiled, clearly underlying the ‘wife’ part. “We will be there!”




Naeyeon nodded. “Dress casually!” She commented. “It was nice meeting you two!”




“You too!” Wendy smiled and closed the door.




“I definitely didn’t feel nice!” Joohyun mumbled.




“Chill.” Wendy laughed. “Why are you getting worked up over her? We got a cake!” 




Joohyun shook her head. “She was blatantly flirting with you tho.”




Wendy shrugged. “Don’t really care.” She smiled. “I have you, after all. Right?” She cheekily laughed and left for the kitchen. “We should call Seulgi to see if all cameras are set up.” She screamed from the kitchen. Their house was soundproof.




Joohyun entered the kitchen couple of seconds later. “Oh wait, that smells nice!” 




And seconds later Bae Joohyun has forgotten what she was even thinking about.




-




Wendy was many things. She was loud, she was a mess when she was comfortable around someone, she was a great cook, she baked even better, she was warm, she was kind, she was really nice. So it will explain why the stoic Bae Joohyun got too comfortable in such a short time. 




“I’ve never seen you getting this comfortable around someone that fast.” Seulgi commented in the earpiece.




Kang Seulgi was the closest friend Bae Joohyun has and it took her more than 7 months to even get the stone girl to tell her something more than ‘go away’. Joohyun shared with her later on that she thought Seulgi was trying to hit on her and she started talking right after she saw the younger girl with her boyfriend outside their building. Turns our Kang Seulgi wanted a friend, no, apparently she specifically wanted Bae Joohyun as a friend because she knew they will make a great team. Here they are 7 years later, talking thru an earpiece so they can’t be tracked down.




Joohyun was laying in her bed, spread like a dead meat, staring at the ceiling and thinking. “Son Seungwan” she laughed “she is just something else.” The older girl explained. “I don’t have options either way, we are already thrown in this thing so I would much more prefer my days being normal than full of awkward moments.” 




Seulgi hummed. “Either way, you usually doubt people. Took you 7 months and to see me with my ex for you to actually give me even a slight chance.”




Joohyun laughed. “Whatever. Tell me what more did you find about Oh Sehun.” 




Some keyboard typing was heard before Seulgi spoke up. “Honestly nothing more than what you already have as an information. He has couple of places for game players where they gather and play as much as they want. The shops are open 24/7, payment is monthly. He has 1 in Wild Rose right now, three in Seoul, two in Daegu, 2 in Busan, one in Jeju and is working on expanding outside of Korea. The guy is pretty well off taking the fact he is my age, so I’m kind of jealous.”




“Not like you don’t live in a penthouse.” Joohyun commented.




“Well yeah, but still.”




“Anyways.” Joohyun continued. “What more?”




Before Seulgi can speak a knock on the door was heard.




“Joohyun?” was heard from the other side. “You ready?”







Right. It was Saturday so they were supposed to go to that barbecue at Naeyeon’s.




“Yeah, yeah, coming!” Joohyun replied.




“Not too excited?” Seulgi laughed in her ear




“I don’t like that girl.” the older detective mumbled. “She is so annoyingly flirty.”




Seulgi laughed. “Have fun, unnie!” 




-




“Hello!” Wendy and Irene were sitting on the table, being a little awkward in the new environment. They both turned around when a high pitched voice greeted them.




‘Oh Yerim’ they both looked at eachother while scanning the girl. ‘Younger sister of Oh Sehun.’




“You are the new neighbors, right?” She planted herself on the chair at the other side of the table, having a drink that Irene highly doubted was a juice, in her hand. “I haven’t had the opportunity to introduce myself since I was away this week! I’m Oh Yerim but I prefer Yeri.” She cheekily smiled and extended her hand. Irene could easily tell the girl was underage even without the information she had but she was so cute. Her small teeth peeking while was was smiling widely, her hair a bold color of pink and put in two braids. She was wearing all denim and she just had this aura of happiness around her despite the things that happened in her family. She was a fighter.




“Yeri!” Wendy spoke first once again, taking the hand in hers. “I’m Wendy and this here is my beautiful wife, Irene.” 




Irene was a shy person, that was known, but she still shook hands with the younger girl, giving her a shy smile.




“She is indeed beautiful.” Yeri spoke, fascinated. “I like your specs!” She smiled.




“She’s a little shy at first.” Wendy wrapped a hand around her partners waist. “You look quite young, how old are you?”




Yeri nodded. “19”.




Wendy laughed. “Well you definitely are a lot younger that this one here.” and she pointed at Irene.




“Hey, shut up!” Irene pushed her blonde companion




“What do you mean?” Yeri quirked an eyebrow. “Isn’t she like 21?” 




“Ha!” Irene laughed. “In your face!”




Wendy just shook her head. “She’s 28 actually.”




“Oh wow, she does look younger.” Yeri nodded. “Have you met the other neighbors?”




“We met Naeyeon.” Wendy laughed




“Ew. I mean obviously if you’re here but still, ew.” Yeri made a face. “I bet she already hit on one of the two.”




Irene nodded. “On Wendy.” She commented, first time joining the conversation. “Right in front of me.”




Yeri laughed. “Naeyeon is weird, not gonna lie you. And I’m not talking about the amount of flowers I’ve never even heard of that she has in her house. This is another type of weird.” She looked around. People were scattered everywhere, having a conversation or laughing at something. The kids were in the far end playing. “This right there is my sister, Oh Sooyoung, or Joy as she likes to go by” Yeri pointed somewhere behind the couple and both of them turned around. A tall raven haired girl with a low crop top and shirts was laughing at something, leaning a little on the arm of a tall handsome guy with his head swept back. “That is Suho, her boyfriend.” He was wearing jeans with a simple black t-shirt and sunglasses on his nose.




Wendy and Irene nodded, listening. They knew all this information but they had to play along seeming as Yeri was the gossip girl of the neighborhood. “Suho and my sister have been together for approximately four years and they met through my brother, Sehun.” Yeri explained. “He is right there at the corner, talking to Bobby and handling he barbecue.” She smiled a little when she looked at her brother.




“Are you guys close?” Irene asked curiously.  Yeri looked back at her, confused. “You and your siblings, I mean.” 




Yeri’s eyes lost their spark for a second. “They’re the only family I have.” she explained, but did not elaborate on that statement. “I’ll fight everyone to protect them. So yeah, I guess we are.”




Irene’s eyes softened. There was a girl right in front of her who has gone through so much pain at such young age. She smiled at Yeri. “You’re always welcome to spend time with us,  not like we do much, right babe?” She turned to Wendy who nodded. Her eyes were a little teary, probably thinking the same as Irene.




-




“Well this was fun.” Wendy basically crashed on the couch,  loudly.




“Fun for you, yes.” Irene rolled her eyes. “I had to witness Im Naeyeon hitting on you every two seconds and being told by different people to stop.” 




Wendy clapped her hands. “Exactly! That was the fun part of it!” She stood up a little, putting her feet on the coffee table. “Everyone was annoyed by her antics.” 




Irene just shook her head and put two glasses of water on the table. “So what do you think? Anyone suspicious?”




Wendy leaned back, sighing. “Honestly, no one.” She closed her eyes. “They all look like such nice people, I can’t believe something like this can happen in the neighborhood.” 




Irene had to agree. Those people seemed so carefree, so fun, no one looked even a little suspicious or like a serial killer. The topics they had were about normal things like how one’s care broke down and had to call the other to get help or how one’s wife burned her cookies. No one talked about the vents that happened not even 3 months ago but Irene did notice that Oh Sehun was very quiet during the gathering. He didn’t speak if not directly asked, he did laugh to jokes and all, but he seemed very introverted, very into his own thoughts during the whole time.




“Did you notice the looks Jongin was sending Sehun during the meal time tho?” Wendy asked, opening her eyes. This got Irene’s attention. 




“No.”




“Well it looked like they were talking to eachother with eyes, you know like telepathically. “ she elaborated and took a sip of her glass. “It was just in one moment, before Suho and Sehun’s sister left.”




“Have we had any reports about Jongin’s occupation?” Irene asked. “I don’t think we ever got information about him and him being part of the neighborhood.”




“No, someone mentioned he showed up for the first time last week and that he isn’t from the neighborhood but is a close friend to Suho.”




Irene nodded her hand and took her phone, typing fast. “Texting Seulgi right now to run a check up on him.” She said. “He looked a little out of place.”




“And he looked at Yeri like she is a pray.” Wendy commented.




“Yet another reason to check up on him right?”