[1]

Étoile



“Look at you.” Mr. Yook laughed. He pointed at Wendy and laughed again. “And you want to reach the FBI level?” 




Wendy just put her head down, trying to not attack the guy in anger. Mr. Yook was the most misogynistic man she has ever seen in her life and she lived in Korea. Everyone here thought of women as nothing more than the basic human being. But Mr. Yook was another level. For him women were nothing but objects to play with. And the fact Wendy was one of the three women being part of the police was saying enough. 




Wendy, graduated in criminology and special services, having two times black belt in taekwondo and constantly seeking to improve herself. She was an honored detective with many cases solved behind her back in the 6 years career. She started young, barely 21 she managed to score the job in the Seoul Police district with impeccable resume and recommendations from her professors. From the start, everyone saw her potential. Wendy’s goal in life was to work for FBI. Who wouldn’t want that, right?




“I’m sure I can reach the FBI level, sir.” Wendy spoke through gritted teeth.




The man in front of her laughed again. “Sure you can.” He told her to look up. “Today, someone from the FBI will come, I want you quiet and no word to the detective, understood?”




Wendy wanted to punch him so bad. “Why sir?”




“Not your business. Just act as a secretary or something.” He spoke and waved his hand in a ‘leave’ signal before Wendy can ever reply.




Leaving the office, Wendy exhaled loudly.




“From 1 to 10 how much of an was he?” Zuho spoke from the desk on the left.




“I don’t think there is even a number to tell you.” Wendy laughed bitterly and started walking to her desk.




Couple of hours later, the door of the police opened and everyone turned around to see who is coming. A woman with black glasses entered. She was executing an aura of someone important, wearing a caramel tirtle neck shirt that was fitting her body perfectly, black pants with high heels and a black long coat. Wendy immediately recognized the woman.




Bae Joohyun. Probably everyone in Seoul knew her. No, everyone in Korea knew her. She worked for FBI and she has been part of some of the biggest mafia and drug related cases in Korea. Putting many internationally searched criminals behind bars while she had to work with little to no evidence.




Wendy immediately stood up and bowed deeply, full respect showing on. She was granted a nod and then the woman passed, entering Mr. Yook as she owns it. She kind of does, Wendy thought, sitting down.




“Holy .” Zuho whispered aggressively. “That’s the Bae Joohyun.” He spoke. Everyone around him was in a trance.




“Wendy!” Was heard from inside the office. Everyone looked at the girl and she sighned before standing up and walking. She knocked before entering.




“Yes, sir?” She spoke once inside. Bae Joohyun was sat on her right at the couch, glasses off now, and she was breathtaking in Wendy’s opinion. She looked like mirage. She looked like she shouldn’t even be close to Mr. Yook.




“Bring me a coffee with milk.” He spoke. “And for you, Miss Bae?” He looked at her.




Bae Joohyun lift an eyebrow. “Is she your secretary?” She asked, doubt seeping from her voice. Her voice, so melodic, Wendy almost melted. She was all in for this woman. She was a huge fan.




“She is.” Mr. Yook nodded.




Bae Joohyun hummed skeptically but added “Just a glass of water will be fine.” 




Wendy just nodded, acting as if she is actually a secretary before nodding and leaving.




Five minutes later she entered again with a tray and two beverages on it. Serving the coffee to Mr. Yook she heard Bae Joohyun spoke.




“I came here for this case because there is someone specific who I want to work with.” She spoke and Wendy turned around to pass her the glass.




“From my department?” Mr. Yook seemed surprised but he recovered fast. “Of course ma’am, my men are professional and very good at their job!” He praised and Wendy was seeping with anger. She passed the water to Bae Joohyun and the woman accepted it with a nod.




“I’m sure they are, Mr. Yook, but I’m actually here for your secretary.” Wendy was at the door, hand on the handle, when she stopped. She turned around and saw Mr. Yook’s shocked face.




“My secretary?” He asked.




Joohyun hummed again, drinking from her water and swallowing before speaking again. “Your secretary.” She air-quoted. “Last time I heard, which by the way was this morning, Miss Son Seungwan was a detective at your department, not a secretary.” She didn’t even left space for the guy to defend himself. “So to treat her as a secretary when you have an ace right here? What is the reason Mr. Yook Eunkgwan?” She drank from her water again. 




Wendy has never seen Mr. Yook speechless like right at this moment. 




“Did you really think I’ll come here unprepared?” She raised an eyebrow in amusement. “I’m a detective after all. I’d like to do my work before going somewhere.”




“I- no, miss.” Mr. Yook was stuttering. Wendy was paralyzed at the door, no words coming, no thoughts, head empty. The Bae Joohyun was looking for her. Her.




“Anyways. We have this case and my boss, the FBI leader, has been keeping an eye on Miss Son so she thinks she will be perfect for this job.” Joohyun spoke. “So we will be borrowing her from you for unlimited time, is that okay?” She humorously asked. Not like she needed permission anyways.




“Yes, ma’am.” Mr. Yook nodded.




Bae Joohyun stood up, leaving the empty glass of water on the desk. “Also, if you don’t want the word of how you treat your female workers to spread around, I suggest you change your attitude towards them. After all Miss Kim Taeyeon surely wouldn’t like to heard about her own gender being mistreated, am I right?” She spoke, before putting her sunglasses on.




Another nod from Mr. Yook and Bae Joohyun turned around, looking straight at Wendy. “Son Seungwan?” She asked even though she knew the answer already. She received a nod and she smiled. A bright smile, hands clapping. “Great. Please get your things and follow me, please.”




And Wendy scurried to open the door for Bae Joohyun before following, throwing the tray on Zuho’s desk and gathering her things in a rush. She heard a laugh from behind and turned around mid-putting her phone in her bag.




“You don’t need to rush, but I’d honestly want to get out of here fast. It kind of smells of men.” Bae Joohyun spoke to her. 




Wendy nodded. “To be honest, it’s been years and I’m still not used to it, Miss Bae.” Wendy nodded and stood up.




“Please call me, Joohyun.” Joohyun spoke just before they left the department. The sun was nowhere to be seen. Just clouds and very chilly wind. Wendy windered why was Bae Joohyun wearing sunglasses. “Do you drive?” The said woman turned around. 




Wendy nodded. “I do, Mi- I mean Joohyun.” 




“Great, let’s hop in your car and I’ll give you directions to the office.” She started going down the stairs. “Our driver is not available at the moment.”




Wendy just gulped, before going down herself. How will a woman like Bae Joohyun ride a Ford 2009 with two doors? She just didn’t fit.




“Um, ma- I mean Joohyun. Isn’t it better to grab a taxi?” She stratched her head while walking.




“Why waste money?” 




“I, um. I don’t know. I mean my car-“ Wendy got cut off.




“I don’t mind what your car is, Miss Son. I’m not all about luxury.” Joohyun replied.




Wendy nodded, embarrased. “It’s Wendy.” She shyly added.




“Okay then, Wendy.” Joohyun smiled. “Lead the way.”




“I think I’m underdressed for this event, miss Joohyun.” Wendy spoke while she took a left turn, as told by the woman on her right side.




“Only Joohyun, please.” She responded. “You make me feel old.” She laughed and Wendy nodded, apologizing. “There is no dress code for meeting my boss, you know?” 




Wendy laughed a little,stopping on a red sign. “I know but jeans and a button up with sneakers doesn’t really scream ‘I’m here to work with FBI’?” Wendy laughed at her poor choice of clothes. ‘Just today!’ She cursed herself.




The loud laugh she got from the small woman startled her before she started driving again once the green light showed and her heart calmed down. “You will be surprised just how fitting it is.” Joohyun laughed. “What movies portray FBI agents as and what they really look like is the funniest thing ever.” 




Wendy was skeptical though. “But you look exactly like how movies show you to be.” Wendy was blabbering. “You execute an aura of confident, powerful and dominant person, mis- I mean Joohyun.” 




Joohyun stayed silent for a second. “I guess you’re right. But you will see!” Joohuun clapped her hand and pointed at a small building across the street. “Park here and let’s go.”




-




Wendy always had big goals ahead of herself. Since a little kid she would want to exceed in everything. In middle achool she would go to bee spelling contests, taekwondo classes, she was part of a scouts group, she begged her parents to buy her a guitar and learned to play by herself, she studied and she had always had time for everything. When she entered high school, she witnessed a robbery while going back to school and the policemen, later finding out he had died in a shooting, was chasing a thief, jumping last second and tackling him down. Wendy was in awe and she thought the man was extremely cool. Going home she told her parents about the experience and herself in her room to search for police applications and what you need to study it. Along the way she got hooked on CSI cases and she put her logic and knowledge into it, getting herself a degree in criminology. As Wendy was physically good, she thought her mind was way better secret gun and instead went for a detective instead for a policemen. She searched for the man who gave her a goal in the future but she found out he had died couple of years after the robbery in an open shooting. She was sad but she still visited his grave and thanked him.




Entering the detective business, Wendy set a goal to work for FBI one day. She worked hard no matter the circumstances and her misogynistic boss. She dreamed of being part of this impeccable team of detectives.




So here she was, entering a small building, the Bae Joohyun ahead of her walling with confidence Wendy only wished she still had owned but it has been stomped by men and she was nervous. She was nervous to meet Kim Taeyeon, leader of FBI department in Seoul and she was nervous to find out what kind of case they thought will fir her.




Joohyun abruptly stopped before the elevator, turning around and taking off her sunglasses. She looked straight at Wendy and put a hand on her shoulder before she sent her a small smile and spoke up. “Don’t be nervous. I’ve seen your resume, you’re impeccable. Of you’re here then it’s because you deserve it.” And then the ding was heard, the elevator doors opening, inviting them to enter, a new but exciting start for Wendy so close to it. She nodded at the older girl and took a step to enter.




-




The ride to the seventh floor seemed quite slow in Wendy’s opinion. She took a dee breath when the doors opened and blinked when two men in suits immediately blocked the way.




“Chill guys, Taeyeon knows we are coming.” Joohyun stepped in front and moved the two guys who nodded in acknowledgment. “Don’t mind them, they are just doing their job. Taeyeon has a lot of enemies that try to enter disguised as normal people.”




Wendy shuddered before she nodded and followed Joohyun through the long hallway leading to a huge black door at the end of it. A small desk in front and no one on it.

The older detective rolled her eyes at the empty spot and knocked. She didn’t immediately enter like she did back in Wendy’s department and Me. Yook’s office. She waited for approval from the other side before before she opened the door.




Wendy looked around. A huge office, with warm brown colored walls and a lot of paintings. One huge window that was from the bottom of the top with glass and a nice view ahead. In the middle was a black desk with a black, soft looking chair. On the desk two frames. Behind the desk couple if certificates. On the chair was sitting a small woman looking a lot like Bae Joohyun herself. Truth is no one outside FBI department knew how Kim Taeyeon looked. She was anonymous, she stayed in the shadows, never giving press conferences. The only thing known about her was her name. Many rumors were going around about her looks, many photos being rumored to be her. But the woman in front if her looked nothing like these photos.




She stood up from her chair, a smile on her lips, her blond hair and bangs falling perfectly on her back. She wore a flower patterned button up with black jeans and black high heels.




“Ah, Son Seungwan! “ she clapped her hands and rounded the desk, coming close to the two women. Bae Joohyun bowed deeply, just like how Wendy when she herself first wntered her department, and was granted a laugh and a pat on the shoulder. Wendy followed fast, bowing a full ninety degrees but not going up. She heard laughter. “You can get up now, you know.” She straightened up, red tint coloring her cheeks in embarrassment. “She is cute, isn’t she, Joohyun?” She asked and got a quick ‘Yes ma’am’ in return.




Wendy scraped her neck nervously. “Umm thank you, ma’am.”




“Oh please, call me Taeyeon.” She  offered a hand for a handshake which Wendy immediately took. “Joohyun here just never learned to do it.” She laughed. “Pleasure to finally meet you, Son Seungwan.”




“She goes by Wendy, ma’am.” Joohyun spoke.




Taeyeon raised an eyebrow. “Wendy.” She checked the girl from head to toes. “I like it. It fits her.” Moving back to the desk and sitting and making a signal for invitation. “Please, get comfortable, we have a lot to talk about.”




Wendy scrambled to her seat, crossing her hands in front of her. Focusing now she could see a black folder sitting on the desk. Joohyun sat on a chair on her right, taking iff her jacket and putting her phone on the desk in front of her, making herself comfortable while leaning back.




Taeyeon nodded and then she opened the black folder, taking two papers out and handling them to both girls.




Wendy reached out, shaking a little, while she looked at the paper.




‘Oh Sehun’




‘26’




‘Born: Jungnang-gu, Seoul’




‘Graduated in IT and Technology in Seoul University’




‘Currently: owns a game playing place’




Wendy read it it and she looked at the photo. A young, quite handsome man that was  waiting for someone in front of a coffee shop. Wendy would say he did attract attention but not the bad kind, probably a lot of girls.




“Oh Sehun.” Taeyeon spoke. “His brother got killed last month.”




“Okay?” Joohyun asked skeptically.




“The thing is that his mother died the same way a year ago on the same exact day and month.”




“Okay, that is weird.” Joohyun raised a skeptical eyebrow and Wendy listened apprehensively.




Taeyeon nodded. “What’s even weirder is that the year before that his dad died on the same exact day.” This got both girls attention, both of them straightening up in their chairs. “All three of the family members have been killed the same way, most probably with the same object and here comes the weirdest part” Taeyeon took more papers spreading them on the desk to show the girls. “All three bodies were found situated in an X position, as if a message is being sent.” she pointed at the photos. “No prints left, nothing to work with. Whoever did it, knows their job to the finest.”




“No one is perfect.” Joohyun pointed out.




“Exactly.” Taeyeon pointed at her. “Now what is also weird is that we don’t know why they have targeted Oh Sehun. He has been a perfect student, great friend, has no criminal past, no debts, no credits from the bank. His business is blooming and he has enough money.” Taeyeon explained. “So he has reached to us because he has two younger sisters he wants to protect. And we have less than a year till August 6th comes around.”




“What is our job here?” Joohyun asked.




Taeyeon smiled. “We bought the house right next to Oh Sehun’s.” Taeyeon started her explanation. “And the new family is supposed to settle by the end of the week.” She smiled cheekily.




“Okay?” Wendy asked confused. “How do we fit in this?” 




“Guess who the new family is?” Taeyeon smiled.




A silence.. and then. “Oh god.” Joohyun grunted.




“What am I missing here?” Wendy looked between the two still as confused. 




Taeyeon pointed at Joohyun. “Greet your new wife, Wendy.”




-







“Wait, wait, what?” Wendy looked from Taeyeon to Joohyun who looked uninterested as ever.




“You and Joohyun will go undercover as a newly married couple.”




Wendy laughed. “No way!” She laughed again. “Why me? You can get every men in the world and they’ll all agree to it!!”




Taeyeon scolded. “Exactly why I want them all away from Joohyun.” She signed. “She has been molested far too much.”




Wendy froze. “I’m sorry. However I don’t think I’ll be good for this.” She scratched her head. “I mean I’m not good at acting.”




Taeyeon leaned back on her desk, lifting an eyebrow. “Oh really?” She receiver a nod. “What about this time you had to enter ‘Red  Flavor’ dressed as a cheap woman with an outfit so short it barely covered anything just so you can get to Ahn Jiwoo and get information from him?” Taeyeon stated.




Wendy shrinks in her seat, sighing. “I’d like to forget this happened.”




Taeyeon laughed. “I know it’s probably weird but yours and Joohyun’s minds are pretty similar and your logic seems very good. I believe it will be a great fit so please, just, get out on couple of outings, get to know eschother and make it believable. We will work on the ‘legal’ documents to prove your wedding and all.” 







Joohyun was already in. She didn’t really mind. Wendy sighed and Nodded her head. “Okay, I’m in. After all I’m extremely curious, too.”




Taeyeon clapped her hands. “Great. I recommend both of you to start packing first thing when you get home. It’s gonna be long couple of months.”




-




“How are we supposed to do this?” Wendy was leaning on her cheap car, hands in her pants pockets, while she was looking at Bar Joohyun, who was settling some things on her phone.




The older woman looked up, titling her head. “It’s not that hard, honestly.”




Wendy laughed. “You’re the Bae Joohyun. Going undercover might seem easy for you, but I’m just.. me.” Wendy sighed. “And I’m not good at these things. Being around new people and playing housewives.” Wendy rambled. “I’ve never been in a relationship for gods sake-“




“Wait, wait.” Joohyun cut her off and put her phone in her coat’s pocket. “Calm down, Wendy.” She approached. “Let’s get a dinner together tonight, yeah? Get to know each other, what we like, what we dislike.” Joohyun smiled. “I know we can make this believable.” Wendy nodded. “C’mon, would you mind dropping me off at my house before anything though?” 




“Sure.” And Wendy pushed herself up from the car, opening the door for Joohyun. The older girl smiled. “Chivalry, miss.” And then entered.




-




Wendy got assigned by Joohyin herself to pick her up at 8pm sharp. So she parked her car in front of the building she knew now Joohyun lives in and she felt a little out if place. Her red Ford 2009 was standing out amongst all the fancy cars. 




She opened the door and straightened her outfit. Irene didn’t tellvher where they’ll go but told her to dress casual/fancy so she opted for a button up, tucked in her black pants, with a blazer and flat shoes on. She almost felt like she was going on an actual date, if she knew how dates really work. But Bae Joohyun made her nervous. She was too pretgy for her own good. Hearing from her now boss Taeyeon that she has been molested by many guys made Wendy want to protect the woman more than she knew. She wasn’t always the one being picked up by men but she had her fair share on the street. And in bars. 




The building doors opened and from there emerged Bae Joohyun. Wearing what looked like a black shirt, tucked in black pants and high boots on. She had a grey coat this time around, Wendy assumed she wore many coats, her hair was straight and her sunglasses were hanging from the neckline of her blouse. What she needed them for when it was dark, Wendy didn’t know. 




“Hi.” She greeted once Joohyun approached the car. She bowed a little drawing a laugh from the older girl.




“Ho back.” Joohyun replied. “I’m sorry for making you wait, the elevator is out of service and I live on the 17th floor.”




Wendy shook her head. “No worried. That might be a problem going up later tho. Like going down is easier than going up.”




Joohyun laughed. “True. Might look for an alternative.” She smiled. “Shall we go?”




Wendy nodded and circled the car to open the door once again. The older girl lifted an eyebrow, Wendy noticed it’s a habit probably. “Are you making this a constant thing?” The FBI agent asked.




“What?” Wendy asked.




“Opening the door for me.”




“Oh.” Wendy chuckled. “I guess?”




Joohyun bent down to enter, nodding her head. “And you say you’re no good at these things.” She buckled herself up while Wendy closed the door and circled back to the drivers seat.




“I am not.” Wendy buckled herself up before starting the engines so the warm air can start circulating again. “So, where are we going?” She turned around to Joohyun. 




The older woman passed her a phone, the GPS started. “Follow the direction. It’s a restaurant I like a lot. A friend of mine owns it.”




“Bossy, aren’t you.” Wendy spoke jokingly and Joohyun turned around looking at her with an eyebrow raised, which made Wendy so nervous she almost dropped the phone. “I shall go.”




And Wendy reversed the car, leaving the parking lot of the very expensive place.




-




“I’d like some water please.”




“White wine for me. Not driving.” She laughed at the waiter. “We will order food in a little.” Joohyun smiled and the waiter nodded, leaving them.




The GPS had led Wendy to a small restaurant in the outskirts of Seoul, placed in a hill that overlooked the city. It wasn’t fanciest restaurant but it’s view made it ten out of ten for clients. For Wendy it was all so new, to sit with someone she is supposed to play wives with, that someone being the Bae Joohyun, the woman she looked up to, the amazing detective she was, and on top of it all, Wendy won’t lie that she had a little crush on the woman. Who does, I mean she turned heads with her entrance here.







“So..” Joohyun looked at the girl sitting in front of her. “Tell me, why Wendy?”




Wendy shied away for a second before she replied. “I lived in Canada for couple of years. It was hard for them to pronounce my name so  I came up with Wendy as a nickname and it kind of stuck.”




Joohyun nodded. “Why Wendy though, it could have been any other name?” 




“Umm..” the younger scratched her head. “Peter Pan is my favorite novel” she smiled cheekily “so Friendy Wendy.”




Joohyun heartedly laughed at that. The waiter put the glass of water and the wine in front of the respective girl before taking his notebook.




Joohyun was the first one to speak. “We haven’t really chose anything so, what can you recommend us?” She looked up at the waiter and Wendy could see him getting nervous, as everyone when they were talking to Bae Joohyun. She herself was like that.




“Umm.. ma’am I-I’d recommend the seafood, it’s f-fresh and extremely tasty. The crab is marinated and it’s amazing.” He seemed proud of what he did and Wendy giggled a little. 




“Marinated crab.” Joohyun thought. “What do you say, Wendy?” She looked straight at her companion. Wendy nodded a little, agreeing with the choice.  “Okay, we will get that and one salad as a started please.” She pointed the mixed salad and then handed back the menu to the waiter who scurried away faster than ever.




“You scared that poor boy.” Wendy pointed out.




Joohyun raised an eyebrow in question. “What exactly did I do?”




“Maybe smiling a bit more won’t make people sweat and die inside when they talk to you.”




Joohyun signed and took a sip from her wine. “I wasn’t like that before but being hit all the time by men makes you become neutral. Even the smallest smile convinces them they have q chance, you know?” Joohyun explained.




Wendy listened and asked something after. “Don’t girl hit you up too?” 




Joohyun laughed. “Not really. Once a girl told me I seem too out of everyone’s league apparently so they don’t even try.”




“And men still think they have a chance?” Wendy asked incredulously.




“Exactly.”




“Ridiculous.” Wendy exclaimed and took a long gulp from her water. “They’re brave and for what?”




Joohyun laughed again, their crab arriving soon after. They started eating before Joohyun continued the conversation. “And you? You said you’ve never been in a relationship. Is there a reason why?”




Wendy shook her head. “No, not really.” She swallowef. “I have just been so busy I never really had the time to look around and settle in.” She explained. “Working for a man that doesn’t really like women makes you work double what you should really.” She laughed. “I’m barely even in my apartment.”




“No friends?” Joohyun asked.




“I have one. We work together actually. She is extremely good with programs and IT things.”




“Interesting.” Joohyun notes. “So what do you do when you actually have free time?” 




“I go to the gym to train a little and I just scroll to find new songs.”




Joohyun looked interested. “You work out?”




Wendy shook her head. “The gym has this place where I can practice my taekwondo basically.” Wendy elaborated. “What about you?” 




Joohyun took a bite of the crab. “I’m by myself. Used to be in a relationship but like you I’m always busy and so he is so we called it off.”




Wendy nodded. “I know you worked undercover many times. I’m a huge fan of yours.” Wendy shied away a little. “I’ve always wanted to ask, what was it like when you had to go undercover in that drug case? Wasn’t in terrifying?”




Joohyun leaned back in her seat and soon a sip from her wine. She nodded her head. “Thank you. I’m flattered.” She smirked. “Well it was dangerous, but men are so easy to lie to, all you have to do is show off some skin and smile seductively and they’re all on their knees for you. Especially dirty gangsters.” Wendy listened carefully. “I had sanitizer with me and I had to rub my skin to remove their touches for weeks after. I felt really dirty but I’m glad the end was happy for our department.”




Wendy was mesmerized. “Wow.”




“Honestly, Wendy.” Joohyun leaned on the table, too close for Wendy’s liking. “To work with you is like a vacation for me.” She spoke low, almost as if she was telling her a secret. “So I intend to enjoy it along with it all.” She smirked to the younger girl. 




Wendy gulped heavily, thinking how dangerous this undercover might actually be for her poor health. She hopes she can survive. God help her.







A/N: I've been wanting to start a detective story for some time and it's been a work in process. I don't promise fast updates but I'll do my best. I hope you guys enjoy it!