The Hunt

The Dragon Prince
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Miyeon, it’s today, right?” You asked excitedly as soon as you opened your eyes.


Miyeon laughed and nodded, “Yes, princess. Today’s the day of the hunt.”


Leaping out of bed, you said, “Finally! I’ve been so bored and this kind of palace life is just too stifling! There’s finally an exciting event today!”


After a wash up, you headed to the dining table and a certain item caught your attention on the table.


“What is this?” You asked, bewildered, as you pointed to the white cakes on the plate.


“Yam cakes, princess,” Suyeon replied with a smile.


“I know… I mean, what are they doing here?” You asked in surprise.


Suyeon replied, “I just went to the imperial kitchen and the head chef notified me that Prince Jiyong has decided that he wanted a change of dessert yesterday. Prince Jiyong also said that whoever is interested can have the yams. The head chef remembered that we made a request for them so he reserved all the yams for you, princess.”


You stared at the yam cakes in front of you as you felt a fluttery feeling in your chest. Why did Jiyong suddenly want a change of dessert?


“It’s strange, isn’t it?” Suyeon said. “The head chef said that Prince Jiyong had never requested for a change in so many years so he was quite surprised to hear that. I wonder why Prince Jiyong decided he wanted a change.”


Picking up a piece of yam cake, you wondered if Jiyong’s sudden change of dessert had anything to do with you. Did he feel sorry for you after hearing how you got lectured from the empress about taking from his personal tray? You almost laughed out loud at that thought. It’s not possible. Jiyong could never feel sorry for you.


Placing the warm piece of cake into your mouth, you savoured the taste and eventually swallowed.


“Princess, have some chicken,” Suyeon said. “You haven’t been eating much lately and I’m worried that you might get hungry later. You just recovered and I’m afraid the outdoor event later will be too harsh for you.”


“Don’t worry, Suyeon,” You smiled but you took a piece of chicken anyway. “I heard that the spectators will be seated in a heated tent. I’ll be fine.”


Suyeon sighed, “I wish I can go. Miyeon’s so lucky. She has attended two years ago and gets to go again today.”


Miyeon shook her head at Suyeon and replied, “Our duty there is to assist the princess. It’s not to have fun.”


Suyeon’s face fell immediately at her sister’s lecture and you quickly jumped in and said, “Come on, Miyeon. Suyeon didn’t say anything wrong. She must be bored here as well.”


Suyeon shot you a grateful smile and you continued, “Why don’t Suyeon come with me this time? You don’t mind, right, Miyeon?”


Miyeon’s eyes widened slightly, “I don’t mind at all, princess. But it’s always me who has been serving you. I’m just afraid that Suyeon will not be up to the task…”


You turned to Suyeon and smiled, “Do you want to come with me, Suyeon?”


Suyeon’s eyes shone excitedly, “Can I, princess? I mean… Miyeon’s right. What if I’m not up to it? She’s your maid-in-waiting after all…”


“Don’t worry, you’ll be fine.” You replied. “Besides, I don’t think I’m that difficult to deal with, right?”


Letting out a giggle, Suyeon said, “Of course! Compared to the past, you’re so much more-


A nudge from Miyeon made Suyeon clamp shut immediately.


“Sorry, princess,” Suyeon mumbled apologetically. “I was out of line.”


You smiled, “It’s alright.”


Suyeon sighed with relief as you continued with your meal.

 

========================

 

After an hour’s carriage ride out of the palace, you and Suyeon stepped out of the carriage and found yourselves in the middle of the forest. The emperor and empress had gotten off their carriage as well. You watched as the five princes descended from their horses as everyone made their way to the wooden platform that was situated at a clearing.


The emperor, empress and you took your seats at the platform while the five princes and several high ranking officials stood in the snowy ground, facing the emperor.


“Father,” Seungri called out with a grin. “Will this year’s prize be the same like always?”


The emperor let out a laugh and nodded, “Of course! As usual, I will grant the winner anything he wants!”


“Then Jiyong hyung better start thinking about what he wants since he won the last few times!” Seungri said loudly.


Everyone laughed and nodded in agreement as Jiyong merely looked away awkwardly.


The emperor smiled, “Jiyong has done very well. You better up your game, Seunghyun!”


Seunghyun smiled, “I have been practicing, father, but I would gladly accept defeat if it’s Jiyong as we all know that he has the best shooting skill out of all of us.”


The emperor chuckled and then announced, “Alright then, if everyone’s ready then let’s start the game!”


A guard blew into the horn and you watched as the princes and guards all scattered off on their horses, leaving you, the emperor, empress and the rest of the guards and servants at the clearing.


When all is quiet again, the emperor turned to you and asked with a smile, “Who do you think will win today?”


Startled that the emperor was talking to you directly, you turned and let out a nervous laugh, “I really don’t know…”


“Come on, make a guess.” The emperor encouraged.


“I… I don’t know…” You repeated again uselessly.


The emperor smiled kindly at you, “You still look so shaken up. Are you sure you’re all recovered? Has the physicians been doing their job?”


“Yes, of course, father!” You said hurriedly. “I’m fine and the physicians have been taking good care of me!”


The emperor nodded with a smile, “Alright then.”


“So… what do we do in the meantime while they hunt?” You asked.


“We wait.” The emperor replied.


“For how long?” You asked.


“Two hours,” The emperor said. “The guard will blow the horn, indicating that the game is over and everyone will return with their kill.”


Two hours? You groaned internally at the thought. It was dreadfully dull here with nothing to watch or do and you have to wait two hours for them? No wonder the real princess found this boring. You had expected that it would just be an hour and that you would be able to see them hunt in action but then realised that it was a ridiculous thought. Realistically speaking, how in the world are you going to watch them hunt in action? That way would only be possible if you rode on one of the contestant’s horse with them. This, of course, is impossible.


Thankfully, the emperor’s guard entertained you and Suyeon with stories of what has happened in the past games. From one of the officials getting chased by a wolf to the exciting game where Jiyong and Seunghyun were both eyeing the same stag, in which Jiyong had won in the end.


“Jiyong is really good at this game.” You exclaimed, impressed.


The emperor laughed, “You know that game where they both eyed the same stag? Just between you and me… I think Seunghyun might have let Jiyong win.”


“What?” Your eyes widened in surprise.


The emperor nodded and continued, “Jiyong is truly good. But let me tell you, Seunghyun is not that bad as well.”


“Why did Seunghyun let Jiyong win? Does he do that all the time?” You asked.


“Since they were young, Seunghyun had always been protective of Jiyong. Seunghyun is really a good brother to Jiyong. But I don’t think Seunghyun lets Jiyong win all the time. Just once that time when Jiyong’s really upset. But of course, this is just my guess. Seunghyun will never admit to this.” The emperor smiled.


“Why did Jiyong get upset?” You asked curiously.


You watched the emperor’s eyes turn sorrow and as he was about to open his mouth, a guard came forward and said, “Your highness, the food in your tent is ready.”


The emperor gave a nod and stood up, “Since we’re waiting for them, let us wait comfortably in our tents.”


You gave a nod as you watched the emperor and empress leave as they made their way to their nearby tent.


“Princess,” Suyeon called out. “Your tent and food is ready too. We should go.”


“Okay.” You replied as you stood up and followed her.


As you ate in your tent, you wondered what Jiyong could be upset about that Seunghyun would secretly let Jiyong win in that game.


“Princess, we’ve ran out of hot water. I’ll go and ask for more, alright?” Suyeon said.


You nodded and watched as Suyeon left the tent with a pitcher. After what seemed like several minutes, you needed to go to the bathroom and as Suyeon has not returned, you opened the flap of the tent and stepped out to see two servant girls standing outside your tent.


“Do you need something, princess?” One of them asked.


“Yes. Where’s the bathroom?” You asked. “Is there one?”


The servant bowed, “Yes, there is a make shift bathroom built. Let me bring you, princess.”


Following her, you left the tentage area and walked away from the clearing, venturing into the forest.


“Are you sure it’s here?” You asked uncertainly, looking back at the small tents behind you.


“Yes, princess. The bathrooms are not to be near the resting and food preparation tents.” The servant replied.


Fifteen minutes later after a lot of winding and turnings, you saw the bathroom, a small wooden shack and the servant said, “I will stand out here and wait for you, princess.”


You then entered the bathroom and after you were done, you unlatched the door and stepped out to find that the servant girl was gone.


“I-I’m done!” You called out as you looked around for her.


Silence greeted you as you called out again. Just like before, she did not appear.


You decided to make your way back to the tentage area but as you walked, you realised that you can’t seem to find your way back. The thick trees that were covered in snow looked identical and everywhere you turned, everything looked the same.


Damn it. You seem to have gotten lost.


Out of the corner of your eye, you spotted a movement and when you whirled around in surprise, you spotted a grey rabbit hopping with a limp. Blood was oozing from one of its hind legs.


Gingerly, you tried to approach it but the frightened rabbit hopped faster, half dragging its wounded leg.


“Come back! I just want to help!” You called out as you gave chase.


Five minutes of chasing finally wore the rabbit down as it slowed down and you quickly scooped it into your arms.


“Poor thing,” You cooed softly. “You’re just a baby. Where are your parents? Don’t worry, I’ll fix you up and-


“Watch out!”


You jumped at the sudden shout but before you could turn around, you felt a push and before you knew it, someone had grabbed you and you shut your eyes as you tumbled to the ground along with that person.


When you opened your eyes the next moment, you found yourself staring up into Jiyong’s face as his hands were still around your waist. He was hovering above you but his angry eyes were not on you. Instead, he was looking up and when he finally felt that it was safe, he withdrew his hands from you and got up to his feet.


Still in a daze, he pulled you up to your feet as well with the rabbit still securely in your arms as you asked, “W-What happened?”


Jiyong said nothing and you followed his gaze that was on an arrow that was stuck onto a tree trunk. You were right at that spot a few seconds ago. If Jiyong hadn’t moved you out of the way, the arrow would have struck you.


You watched Jiyong pull the arrow out from the trunk angrily as he inspected it.


“Jiyong?” You called out to him softly. “Is someone… trying to…”


“Kill you?” He continued with a grim face. “I think so.”


Your eyes widened in fright as you stammered, “W-Who would want me dead and why?”


“I don’t know,” Jiyong replied. “It could be the same person who attacked you in the bamboo forest.”


You then noticed Jiyong’s sleeve was torn and a thin line of blood on his arm.


“You’re hurt!” You gasped.


“It’s nothing. Just a scratch.” He replied dismissively.


You swallowed guiltily and said, “I’m so sorry. You got hurt again because of me.”


“What are you doing here anyway? Don’t you know it’s dangerous for you to be in this area while the hunt is still going on?” He lectured.


“A servant was with me earlier but then she disappeared and then I got lost and spotted this wounded rabbit and followed it. It must have somehow led me here.” You replied.


Jiyong’s eyes fell to the rab

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter