The Empress' Lecture

The Dragon Prince
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The ride back to the palace was silent as your mind was still whirring from all the events that had happened that day. How Seunghyun had found out about your biggest secret and had decided to help you. How Seunghyun had brought you to Siwon and Yuri and even came up with a plan for the siblings to move to the city nearer to the palace, making future meetings with your friends much more convenient.


When the horse carriage passed through the eastern gate of the palace and came to a stop shortly after, you disembarked with Seunghyun and watched as the guard rode the horse back to the stables.


“You have been awfully quiet,” Seunghyun said as soon as the both of you were alone. “Are you alright?”


You walked beside Seunghyun on the deserted grounds that were leading back to your residence and replied, “I have been thinking about today.”


“What about it?” Seunghyun asked curiously.


“About how you have helped me so much today.” You replied. “I really am very grateful, Seunghyun. I never expected you to react like this.”


Seunghyun let out a small chuckle and said, “What did you expect?”


Nervously, you replied, “Actually… I thought that you might bring me back straight and throw me into prison. After all, I am an impos-


Seunghyun’s hand cupped over your mouth immediately as he leaned down and whispered, “Are you mad? You can’t say such words now that you’re back!”


Your eyes widened at his close proximity and he continued softly, “Remember, you are now the fifth princess. Think and act like her. You must not utter those words especially within the palace, got it?”


You nodded and Seunghyun released his hand from your mouth immediately. You exhaled in relief as he straightened back up.


The both of you continued on your way back to your residence and when you were almost reaching, you turned to Seunghyun and asked, “Can I ask you a question?”


Seunghyun turned to you and nodded.


Standing on your tippy toes, you whispered into his ear, “Where do you think the real princess is now?”


Whispering back, Seunghyun said, “I don’t know but I’ve sent my most trusted men to dig deeper into this.”


Your heel came back down as you nodded.


“Let’s not talk about this tonight. If you wish to discuss more, it would be best to discuss such matters within the walls of our own private residence.” Seunghyun said softly.


You nodded again and then asked, “Can I ask you one last question?”


“Sure.” Seunghyun replied.


“Why are you helping me?” You asked, looking up into his eyes.


Seunghyun blinked in surprise and then let out a smile, “All I can say is that I never used to be able to say no to this face and right now, it’s still the same.”


“H-Huh?” You stared at him in confusion.


“Go in,” Seunghyun urged. “We’ll talk more again. It’s late and you’ve had a long day. Just remember that if you need any help, come to me immediately, okay?”


“Okay, thank you, Seunghyun.” You smiled.


You watched Seunghyun leave until he disappeared from view and headed through your garden.


“Princess, you’re back!” Miyeon greeted you as she rushed out of the residence.  “Prince Jiyong had been waiting inside for almost an hour.”


Your eyes widened in surprise, “Jiyong? He’s here? Why?”


Nervously, Miyeon replied, “I’m not sure. Prince Jiyong just came by all of a sudden and when we told him you were out of the palace with Prince Seunghyun, he said he would wait. He brought a plate of yam cakes but then…”


“What?” You asked curiously.


“After waiting for you for about ten minutes, he grew impatient and ordered for us to dump the yam cakes. We told him that he should head back first and we would inform you to visit him once you return but he insisted on waiting.” Miyeon replied.


Finding the entire situation strange, you stopped in front of the front doors of your residence as Miyeon mouthed ‘Be careful’.


Pushing the wooden doors open, you stepped in to find the third prince sitting in the hall, an irritated scowl on his face. Upon your arrival, he looked up and quickly wiped the scowl off his face.


“You’re back.” He stated impassively.


You quirked an eyebrow at his stony expression and nodded, “Yes, is something the matter? I heard that you’ve been waiting for me.”


“Where have you been?” Jiyong asked.


“Out in town. With Seunghyun.” You replied.


You saw a flicker of irritation cross his features as Jiyong said, “Didn’t you just recover from your cold? Why were you running around town? Why did hyung even agree to bring you? What was he thinking?”


“I’m better already. Besides, it isn’t Seunghyun’s fault. I begged him to bring me as I wanted to get a birthday gift for Daesung.” You replied defensively.


Jiyong stared at you for a moment and then asked, “What did you get for Daesung?”


“I…” The words died from your lips as you were struck with a sudden realization.


You didn’t manage to get a gift for Daesung. After bolting out from the bookstore to send the letter, you were discovered by Seunghyun and after that, Daesung’s gift was the last thing on your mind.


Clearing your throat, you replied, “I didn’t find anything suitable so I came back empty handed.”


Jiyong continued staring at you and you wondered if he was trying to see if you were lying.


“Anyway, you needed something from me?” You hurriedly asked, trying to change the subject.


“What?” Jiyong asked in surprise.


“You came here looking for me, right?” You asked, confused.


Looking a little flustered, Jiyong hurriedly looked away as he replied, “I just wanted to check on you.”


“Why?” You blurted out in panic.


Your heart started thudding loudly against your chest as you wondered what Jiyong meant. Has he discovered your real identity? Is this why he was prying about why you headed to town with Seunghyun?


“I just wanted to check if you would be able to continue your tasks. I’ve given you a week to recuperate and tomorrow is the last day. But I guess I must have been too generous with you. Instead of resting, you’re taking the chance to hang around in town with hyung.” Jiyong replied.


You exhaled in relief and then said, “I wasn’t just hanging around. I told you I wanted to get Daesung a gift.”


Ignoring your explanation, Jiyong continued, “I want you to talk to Consort Kang tomorrow. In case you’ve forgotten, she’s Daesung’s mother.”


“Daesung’s mother?” You echoed in surprise. “Why do you need me to talk to her? If you want any information, can’t you just ask Daesung to get the information from her directly?”


Annoyed, Jiyong turned to you and said, “Don’t ask so many questions. I have my reasons for sending you.”


Letting out a deep sigh, you mumbled, “Fine, I’ll go talk to her tomorrow. Is there anything else? If not, I’m heading to bed.”


“This early?” Jiyong raised his eyebrows. “The sun just set. You haven’t had dinner.”


“I’m just really tired.” You said.


Jiyong gazed at you and asked seriously, “Are you feeling unwell again? You shouldn’t have gone out with hyung today.”


“No, no!” You said hurriedly. “It has nothing got to do with me going out! I just… I’m fully recovered!”


Jiyong shook his head and mumbled, “Couldn’t you just wait for me to bring you out? What’s the hurry? I was planning to bring you out in the next few days.”


“Speaking of that, you don’t have to bring me out anymore.” You smiled. “I won’t bother you with that anymore.”


“What?” Jiyong stared at you. “Why?”


“I’m sure you must be busy… Besides, I’ve given you enough trouble with what happened the last time.” You replied quickly. “Really, I won’t bother you with that anymore.”


“So… you’re never ever heading out of the palace?” Jiyong asked doubtfully.


You laughed, “Of course not! I’m still going. But I’ll be going with Seunghyun!”


“Seunghyun hyung?” Jiyong repeated.


You nodded happily, “Yes, he said he’ll be happy to bring me. It’s a win-win for all of us! You’ll be happy without me following you around. And both Seunghyun and I enjoy each other’s company as well!”


A deep frown settled on Jiyong’s face as he asked, “Are you trying to say you’re not helping me with my tasks anymore?”


“Of course not!” You quickly replied. “I’ll still help you like I promised. You just don’t have to bring me out anymore. Isn’t this what you’ve always wanted?”


Irritation flashed across the third prince’s face as you wondered what had gotten him into such a bad mood. Isn’t this the best for everyone? Since Jiyong seems to find you annoying, he will never have to deal with the trouble of you hanging around him outside of the palace. And since Seunghyun knows of your secret now, you would be able visit Yuri and Siwon freely with Seunghyun whenever he brings you out. There really is no point for Jiyong to bring you out anymore.


“Don’t worry, Jiyong. I promise I will never ask you to bring me out of the palace ever again.” You chirped. “I’ll still work for you as promised.”


Jiyong said nothing as he stood up from the chair and walked towards the doors.


“Jiyong, wait!” You called out.


You watched him turn to face you and you asked, “I heard that you brought some yam cakes over for me?”


After a pause, Jiyong replied impassively, “I did not.”


“But Miyeon said-


“I brought yam cakes over but they weren’t for you.” Jiyong said, looking visibly annoyed.


Without another word, Jiyong turne

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter