The Deal

The Dragon Prince
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It had been two days since your encounter with Prince Jiyong and his words kept replaying in your mind. What did he mean? Shouldn’t the palace be a safe place for you as a princess? Furthermore, the emperor and the crown prince doted on you so much. You couldn’t be any safer than this.


You had met the emperor shortly after your encounter with Prince Jiyong in the gardens the other day. As soon as you had returned to your residence, you noticed that there were thirty over guards standing outside.


“What happened?” You asked Miyeon in alarm.


“The emperor must be here.” She whispered with a smile. “He must be here to visit you!”


Miyeon was right. Once you stepped into the hall, you saw an elderly man dressed in a yellow dragon robe sitting there, waiting for your arrival.


Every servant in the room including Miyeon who had just entered kneeled to the ground as soon as they saw the emperor. You couldn’t believe it. Goryeo’s emperor was right in front of you, his eyes crinkling into a smile as soon as he saw you enter the hall.


You felt the strength leave your legs as you quickly knelt down in front of him.


The emperor let out a hearty chuckle as he said, “Why the pale face, my dear princess? Are you that afraid to see me?”


You were starting to tremble as you realised that this was the man that could execute anyone he pleases. There was no one higher than him. He doesn’t need a reason to execute a person. What would this man do if he realises that you’re not the real princess? Will he notice that you’re actually not the daughter he was so fond of? Can he spot any difference between the both of you? What if he notices something that both Seunghyun and Prince Jiyong failed to notice?


“What’s wrong with her?” The emperor asked in a panicked voice. “Why is she trembling all over? Is she unwell again?”


Before you realised, the emperor has descended from his seat and made his way straight towards you.


“Are you unwell?” He asked, worriedly as he gently lifted you up to your feet. “You know you don’t have to kneel in front of me. Come sit down. Goodness, why are you sweating and trembling?”


Once he led you to sit beside him, he angrily ordered, “Get the royal physician here! Why didn’t anyone inform me that the princess is so sick?”


Suyeon immediately scurried out of the room to fetch the physician.


Miyeon who was still kneeling, quickly replied, “Emperor, the princess was feeling fine before. My apologies, I shouldn’t have let her wander about in the cold for so long. It was my fault. I didn’t realise that the princess still hasn’t made a full recovery.”


The emperor’s frown deepened and you quickly forced yourself to choke out, “I-I’m fine, really. It’s not Miyeon’s fault at all. I insisted on taking a walk. She tried to stop me but I ignored her. I’m fine, emperor. Please don’t fault Miyeon for my own mistake.”


The emperor stared at you worriedly and then said, “Did you just address me as the emperor?”


Startled, you frantically said, “I’m so sorry. I shouldn’t have. It’s not right, is it? I’m so sorry. Please, how should I have addressed you?”


The emperor drew back in shock and turned to Miyeon, “How much did the princess forget?”


“Everything, emperor.” Miyeon replied regretfully. “The princess does not remember a single thing.”


The emperor turned to you, upset, “My child… I heard from the royal physician that you have lost your memories but I never expect that you had lost all of them. I had just arrived back to the palace and came over as soon as I could. I did not realise that your injury was so bad.”


You stared back at him as you couldn’t believe the all mighty emperor of Goryeo was actually looking at you, his eyes full of worry and concern.


The emperor took a deep breath and patted your hand, “You should never address me as the emperor, understood? You should address me as Father just like all the other princes.”


You could only nod just as Suyeon hurried back with the royal physician.


“Quick,” The emperor said. “Check if the princess is alright.”


The royal physician gave a quick bow to the emperor and started his work. Checking your pulse, your head for any new injuries and lastly, your eyes.


“The princess seemed to have an increase in heart rate but she looks to be the same as before.” The royal physician said.


“Why is she pale and trembling then?” The emperor asked worriedly.


“F-Father,” You called out hesitantly. “I’m fine… I was just startled when I saw you earlier. I mean, I have no recollection of you so all I see is the mighty emperor of Goryeo right in front of me. I was nervous.”


“Really?” The emperor asked, not entirely convinced. “If you are still unwell, then I think it’s best if you stay in bed for a few more days…”


“Father, I’m really fine!” You protested. “Really! I felt a lot better after the walk in the garden. I can’t stay in bed all day.”


The royal physician turned to the emperor and bowed, “The fresh air outside will indeed be better for the princess, emperor. Looking around the palace may help jog her memories as well.”


The emperor pondered for a second and finally said, “Alright, but make sure that you always bring Miyeon along with you so she can assist you whenever you need. Also, make sure that you’re dressed warmly enough for the cold, understood?”


“Y-Yes, father.” You nodded.


The emperor cast another worried look at you and addressed the room, “I want updates on the princess’ condition, understood? Make sure that she is eating her meals regularly. Any updates on her condition must be reported immediately to me.”


“Understood, emperor!” The whole room chanted in unison as everyone bowed to make way for the emperor’s departure.


Before he left, he turned and said warmly to you, “Get well soon. I hope to see you all lively again.”


It had been two days since you last saw the emperor and heard from the royal physician that the emperor was busy with the princes discussing an upcoming war battle strategy. You haven’t met anyone of importance the past two days as you had stayed quietly in your room, afraid to head out in case you bump into Prince Jiyong again.


The thought of your first meeting with him was so embarrassing and you could only mentally chide yourself for behaving so recklessly.


You heard that Seunghyun had visited the past two nights but as you were already asleep, he had no choice but to leave without seeing you.


“Princess, are you sure you want to stay in here all day again?” Miyeon asked. “Don’t you think that it’s time for you to pay a visit to the empress? It has been two days since you have woken.”


“The empress sounds like a scary person,” You replied. “Can’t I just stay here?”


“Hush, princess!” Miyeon shushed you immediately. “You can never utter such words about the empress again. You will get punished if someone hears that.”


“I thought you said that the emperor and Prince Seunghyun will protect me from being punished.” You said.


“It is true, princess. But this is the empress we’re talking about. She is the mother of Prince Seunghyun so even Prince Seunghyun can’t do much if his mother insists on punishing you. The emperor is always busy and in the past, you have often come into conflicts with the empress and the emperor wasn’t able to defend you every single time.”


“Why was I often in conflict with the empress?” You asked curiously.


“You were constantly talking back to her, princess. Nobody in the palace has ever talked back to the empress so naturally, she was always furious when you did. I mean, she is the empress after all. Even all the princes have to talk to her politely.” Miyeon replied.


“Wow, was I really such a brat?” You asked curiously.


Miyeon let out a nervous laugh, “W-Well… you were famous for having quite the temper. All the servants tried to steer clear of you if possible.”


Your eyes widened at the revelation. Was your doppelganger really such a horrible person? You recalled how Miyeon and the rest of the servants trembled when they spoke to you on the day you came to after the accident. Was the princess often cruel to them?


“Princess, I really think you should pay your respects to the empress. Word must have gotten out that you are well enough to roam the gardens. The empress will be expecting a visit from you.” Miyeon urged.


“Do I really have to? She must hate me. Why would she be expecting me?” You grumbled.


“Princess, you have to follow the rules of the palace.” Miyeon advised. “If you do not want the empress to come looking for trouble, it is best for you to pay her a visit right now.”


“Fine,” You sighed and stood up from the stool. “How should I behave then?”


“Be as polite as you can, princess.” Miyeon replied seriously. “Please try not to provoke her. You can’t talk back to her as well. If you have the urge, remember to swallow them down. You cannot make an enemy of the empress, princess. It is the most dangerous thing to do.”


Miyeon’s advice lingered in your mind as the both of you headed to the empress’ residence. Your heart pounded nervously with each step as you drew nearer to your destination.


“Do I really have to go?” You whined.


Miyeon stared at you sympathetically and nodded.


Once you reach the steps that lead to the residence, Miyeon said, “I will wait here for you, princess. Unfortunately, I will have to wait here for you. I am not allowed in unless the empress gives her permission.”


You nodded and with a heavy heart, you made your way slowly up the steps. The guards who were at the door recognised you and bowed immediately as they allowed you in.


A female servant bowed and said, “Please follow me, princess.”


You followed her dutifully and after a long walk through the enormous garden, the servant bowed and pushed open the door.


“The empress is inside. Please head in, princess.”


Clenching your fists, you took a step into the room and immediately heard several voices in the room.


“How was the battle? I’m sure you all have some stories to tell.” A female voice said cheerily.


“As usual, Jiyong hyung was incredible! The way he fought them was so impressive that some soldiers actually retreated from the battle!” A male voice said.


“There you go with your nonsense again…” Another male voice said.


“It’s true! I saw it too! Youngbae hyung, you saw it as well, right?” Another male voice said.


You made your way slowly to see a glamorous lady seated with four men across the table from her. There were platters of fruits on the table and it seemed like they were in the middle of an afternoon tea session.


“Ah, is that you, fifth princess?” The woman called out as soon as she noticed you.


The four men turned around and you paled as soon as you recognised Prince Jiyong to be one of them. The other three men must be the remaining princes you have not met. It was obvious from the way they talk and sit around Prince Jiyong.


“I heard that you have recovered two days ago,” The empress stood up with a smile. “Come, let me see you. Are you recovering well?”


The four men stood up as well and with shaky feet, you walked slowly to the smiling empress. Why is the empress so friendly towards you? Didn’t Miyeon say that the empress was never fond of you and that you often got into conflicts with her?


Something was definitely wrong and you realised that this was no time for you to space out.


Giving a small smile to the empress, you knelt before her and said, “I’m sorry I was late in paying you a visit. I intended to come on the day I woke up but after a short walk in the garden, I found myself unwell in bed again for the past two days. My deepest apologies to you, empress.”


“Please rise, my dear.” The empress said and you stood back up. “Of course I would understand. I heard that the accident really messed up your brain. Is that true? Did you really forget about everything and everyone?”


“Yes, it is true. But I am sure that my memories will return quickly.” You replied. “After all, the country’s best physicians are all here, isn’t it?”


The empress smiled, “Yes, you’re right. I’m sure you will recover your memories really quickly.”


One of the men peered at you good naturedly and asked, “Did you really lose your memories?”


You stared back at him, carefully avoiding Prince Jiyong’s gaze on you as you replied, “Unfortunately, yes. You are…?”


The men grinned, “I’m Daesung. And this is Seungri and Youngbae hyung. Oh and Jiyong hyung.”


Your eyes glanced from Daesung, Seungri and then Youngbae but you quickly dropped your gaze, purposely avoiding Prince Jiyong’s gaze.


“So, you really don’t remember a thing? I heard from Seunghyun hyung that you didn’t even remember that you were a princess?” Prince Youngbae asked.


You nodded, “It’s true.”


Prince Seungri exhaled in disbelief, “Wow, imagine the shock you must have felt upon realising that you are a princess.”


“You have no idea…” You muttered.


“So, what happened?” Prince Daesung asked, concerned. “I heard that you were found bleeding and unconscious in the forest.”


“That is what I have been told as well.” You replied carefully.


The empress patted your back softly, “I can’t imagine what had happened that day, dear. Why did someone target you?”


“I don’t know.” You replied.


The empress shook her head and sighed, “I’m just glad that you’re safe now. Come, sit down with us and we will chat some more.”


She patted the seat next to her and you complied.


Prince Youngbae turned to you, “I’m sorry we haven’t visited you sooner. Father had kept us busy the past few days but we have been getting your updates from Seunghyun hyung. We’re really glad that you are fine.”


“It’s alright,” You smiled. “Thank you and I’m sorry that I have worried everyone.”


“Noona…” Seungri said slowly as he frowned at you. “Whoever who knocked you out… Did that person steal your temper as well?”


“What?” You raised your eyebrows.


You saw Daesung trying to hold back his laughter and even Prince Jiyong who had been quietly sitting at the side had a little smile on his lips.


Seungri continued, “I have never heard you say sorry or thank you to anyone of us before.”


“That’s ridiculous.” You said, embarrassed.


Daesung laughed, “Sorry, noona. But it’s true.”


Prince Jiyong finally spoke up, “Her temper’s still with her the last time I checked.”


You glowered at him as he shot you an amused glance.


“Jiyong hyung, what do you mean?” Daesung asked. “Are you saying that noona still has her temper?”


Prince Jiyong said nothing as he took a sip of his tea. You bristled as you silently considered if the words he had said the other day about having more enemies than friends was a reminder to you that he sees you as an enemy.


The empress smiled at you and said, “Don’t just talk, princess. Here, have some fruits. Prince Youngbae brought these peaches back from his travels. They are most delicious.”


You stared at the strange looking fruits suspiciously. Is that truly a fruit? You have never seen or heard of such a funny looking fruit. The only fruits you have come across are apples, persimmons, pears and some other berries. But this fruit? You have never seen or heard of it.


“I-Is this really a fruit?” You wondered aloud.


“Is there something wrong with it?” Prince Youngbae asked.


“W-Well… it looks like an animal’s .” You replied honestly.


Once the words left your mouth, you were surprised to see Prince Youngbae, Daesung and Seungri laughing loudly. Prince Jiyong widened his eyes at you while the empress had a look of horror on her face.


“I-I’m sorry, did I say something wrong?” You asked worriedly.


The empress looked slightly displeased and Prince Youngbae quickly said, “Empress, I’m sure the princess was just making a joke. Seunghyun hyung mentioned that she seemed very disoriented so please forgive her. I’m sure she didn’t really mean it.”


The empress cleared and turned to you, “Like I have told the princes, I have decided to let go of our past and start anew with you. Ever since you got into that accident, I have truly felt terrible about what happened to you. I will not pursue this matter today but please be reminded that you are a princess and such words should not leave your mouth so carelessly. Do you understand?”


You quickly nodded, “Yes. My apologies, I won’t do it again.”


Prince Jiyong st

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter