A Helping Hand

The Dragon Prince
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Princess… she looks just like you…”


“Q-Quick… Take off her outer clothes and shoes.”


“I’m going to swap clothes and shoes with her… This way when they find her, they’ll think she’s me.”


“She’s as good as dead anyway! Just let her die here. When they see her dead, they’ll think that it’s me and will stop pursuing me!”


“Stick this jade hairpin into her hair so they’ll think it’s me! Quick!”


“I don’t care about the stupid pin! They’re going to kill me! Let her be me! Let her get killed in my place! Just hurry!”


You tossed and turned as you mumbled feverishly, “Don’t go… Don’t leave me here… I don’t want to die like this…”


“Princess…”


“Save me… Please…” You mumbled.


“Princess!”


You snapped open your eyes and saw Miyeon hovering worriedly above you as she said, “Princess, it’s okay. You’re having a bad dream.”


Breathlessly, you sat up in bed and realised that your eyes and face were wet with tears.


“Princess, you’re okay. Don’t worry. I’m here with you.” Miyeon said comfortingly as she brushed your hair away from your face.


Your mind was still reeling in shock as memories of the accident came rushing back to you. You remembered everything now. How you were almost unconscious when the real fifth princess stumbled upon you and switched out your clothes. How she stuck the jade hairpin in your hair so that her attackers would kill you instead of her. How she left you for dead in the snowy forest as she fled to safety.


“Princess, you’re trembling all over,” Miyeon said worriedly and then put her palm on your forehead. “You’re running a fever, princess!”


Tears continued pouring down as the images of what the fifth princess did continued to haunt you.


“Suyeon, go fetch a royal physician right now!” Miyeon shouted. “The princess is running a high fever!”


“W-What time is it?” You asked tiredly.


“The sun has just risen, princess.” Miyeon replied. “How are you feeling? Your head’s burning. Are you thirsty? Do you want a drink?”


You said nothing and Miyeon hurriedly poured you a cup of warm tea. You were still in a daze as she lifted the porcelain cup to your lips.


You drank a little as Miyeon said, “Princess, you must have caught a cold from two days ago when you went out to town.”


Again, you remained silent as you wondered who was out to kill the fifth princess. Who had the power to kill her? Who were those attackers? Did the attackers saw you and assumed you were dead on the day of the accident? Or did they not venture into that part of the forest? Why does anyone want the fifth princess killed?


“Princess, the royal physician is here.” Suyeon announced as she brought an elderly man in.


The royal physician bowed deeply and proceeded to check on you.


“How is the princess?” Miyeon asked worriedly. “She was tossing in bed all night. I think she was having a bad dream but when she awoke, I realised that she was running a fever. She looks deathly pale as well.”


The royal physician replied, “She is indeed running a high fever. I will prescribe some medicine for her right away. It is best if the princess remains in bed until she is full recovered.”


“Yes, of course.” Miyeon nodded and bowed.


After the physician had left with Suyeon, you lay back down on the bed as your head pounded heavily. Miyeon was now wiping off the beads of sweat on your face as she coaxed you back to sleep.


“Everything will be alright, princess. Just go to sleep. I’ll be here attending to you. Don’t worry at all.” She said softly.


You allowed yourself to relax a little and a moment later, you fell back into a slumber.

 

=========================

 

When you awoke a few hours later, you took a warm bath and had your medicine. You were back in bed again as the medicine was making you groggy.


“Prince Jiyong! Apologies, but the princess is very unwell. She’s too weak to get out of bed right now.” You heard Suyeon say in the hall.


“What happened?” Jiyong’s voice floated in.


“She’s running a high fever. Perhaps you could come back in a few days’ time?” Suyeon suggested.


You were starting to drift in and out of consciousness when you heard footsteps enter your bed chamber.


You thought you saw a figure that looked like Jiyong standing in front of you.


“Prince Jiyong, please let the princess rest. As you can see, she’s too weak right now.”


“Why didn’t anyone inform me that she was in such a state?”


“Apologies, Prince Jiyong, but the emperor was notified. We did not realise that you would be interested in the well-being of the princess.”


“I… Nevermind… Just hand this over to her when she awakens. Make sure she eats her medicine, Miyeon.”


“Of course, Prince Jiyong.”


As your eyes drifted shut, you watched the figure of Jiyong leave your room.

 

=========================

 

After drifting in and out of sleep for the next two days, you were starting to recover and your appetite had re the third day.


As you were eating your breakfast that morning, Miyeon handed you a parcel wrapped in a white cloth.


“When Prince Jiyong came two days ago, he told me to hand this over to you.” Miyeon said.


Curiously, you took the parcel and unwrapped it.


“Is that a dagger?” Miyeon’s eyes widened.


You gasped as a familiar steel dagger with peonies on the hilt fell onto your lap. Your stomach gave a funny flutter as you could not believe your eyes. Did Jiyong went and got it back for you?


“Princess, why did Prince Jiyong send you a dagger?” Miyeon asked, panicked. “Did you offend the prince? Is he… trying to threaten you?”


You let out a small laugh at Miyeon’s words and turned to her, “No, don’t worry. The dagger doesn’t mean anything. He just… found it and returned it to me.”


Miyeon relaxed visibly as she let out a sigh of relief. You placed the dagger on the dining table and continued breakfast.


“So apart from Jiyong, did anyone else come by?” You asked.


“Of course, princess. The emperor, empress, consorts and all the other princes came.” Miyeon replied. “Prince Seunghyun dropped by the most. He was so worried about you.”


After breakfast, you made your way to Jiyong’s residence to thank him for the dagger and you found him in his study in the middle of a discussion with Youngbae.


“Sorry, am I interrupting?” You asked, standing by the door. “I can come back later.”


Youngbae’s eyes crinkled into a smile as he said, “Don’t worry, we’re done. I was about to leave. How are you feeling?”


“A lot better. I heard that you and the other princes’ came by to visit when I was in bed. Thank you.” You smiled.


“That’s good to hear.” Youngbae replied and then turned to Jiyong. “Ji, just let me handle the issue with the minister, alright?”


Jiyong replied irritably, “What else is there to handle? Just execute him for his crimes.”


“We have to take into account that the minister’s deceased father had contributed a lot when he was running the finance department years ago in the palace.” Youngbae explained.


“So you’re saying that he should be pardoned because of his father’s contributions years ago?” Jiyong asked angrily.


“No, but I think it would be more fitting if he received another form of punishment,” Youngbae said. “You have already executed his son in such a brutal manner but since you have already given the order, we decided not to recall it.”


“Are you saying that you do not agree with how I dealt with the son?” Jiyong asked.


Youngbae quickly shook his head, “No, emotionally, I agree with you but Ji, you know the rules here. You can’t just go around executing whomever you please. Some of these offenders have families who have contributed a lot to our country.”


“I don’t think that their families’ contributions should lessen their punishments in any way.” Jiyong insisted.


With a sigh, Youngbae replied, “Ji, just leave this matter to me. Also, I would advise you to refrain from such brutal punishments the next time. A simple beheading of the offenders would suffice.”


Without waiting for a reply from Jiyong, Youngbae took his leave, leaving you and Jiyong in the study alone.


You could see that Jiyong was in an extremely bad mood now and you wondered if you should take your leave.


You were about to slink off when he turned to you and said, “Is anything the matter?”


“O-Oh, yes…” You stammered. “I just wanted to thank you for finding the dagger.”


Jiyong said nothing and you continued, “I hope it wasn’t too much trouble for you.”


“It wasn’t.” He replied simply.


You could tell he wasn’t in the mood for conversation and you were about to take your leave when he asked, “Where are you going?”


Startled, you replied, “Um, back to my residence?”


“Do you agree?” Jiyong asked seriously as he stared at you.


“Huh?”


“Do you agree with what Youngbae said?” Jiyong asked.


“I… I’m not sure…” You said uselessly.


“A yes or no would suffice.” Jiyong replied.


“I… I agree with you but after hearing what Youngbae said, I realised that there is a bigger picture to all of this. Youngbae is not just managing the offenders but he is looking at it from a political kind of view. He doesn’t have a choice. He’s probably afraid that executing the minister will cause an uproar among the other ministers and generals.” You said slowly.


“I know,” Jiyong replied with a sigh. “I know the politics but it just isn’t fair.”


You nodded, “Besides, what Youngbae said is right. You have executed the son… in that manner. That is probably enough to send a warning to the public and any ministers or officials.”


Jiyong let out another deep sigh as he pinched his fingers between his eyebrows. “I want to change that someday. That a person’s actions should lead to the appropriate punishment despite his families’ contributions or achievements.”


“That sounds like a far-away dream…” You said. “But maybe it can happen. If you become the emperor, you can enforce this new rule.”


“I don’t wish to be the emperor,” Jiyong replied.


You looked at him in surprise. You have always thought that all the princes’ wish was to become the emperor.


“Besides, I have faith in Seunghyun hyung. He will make a good emperor.” Jiyong said. “Much better than I will ever be.”


You let out a small smile, “Don’t sell yourself short. You’ll make a good emperor too. I’m sure of it.”


Jiyong lifted an eyebrow at your remark but said nothing more.


“Anyway, I should go.” You announced. “Which consort do you want me to visit today?”


“No one,” Jiyong replied. “You can start visiting again next week.”


“Why?” You asked curiously.


“I don’t want you to collapse while talking to any of the consorts.”


“Are you worried about me? I’m fine now, really.” You smiled brightly.


“No,” Jiyong said impassively. “I don’t wish for you to scare any of them by fainting in their presence.”


You scowled at Jiyong darkly as his lips twitched slightly. Quickly clearing his throat, his attention went back to the papers on his desk and you took your leave.

 

=========================

 

With nothing else to do in the afternoons, you found yourself constantly thinking back about the real fifth princess and her current whereabouts. Is she even alive? Did her attackers get to her or do they think that she was back in the palace now that you have taken her identity?


There was no one you could talk to about this and you felt even more frustrated as you missed your friends more and more each day.


On the sixth day of moping around, you learnt that Seunghyun was taking a trip to town that afternoon. That morning, you hurried to his residence, interrupting his breakfast as you pleaded for him to bring you along.


“Please, Seunghyun,” You begged. “I promise I won’t leave your sight at all.”


Seunghyun let out a sigh as he placed his chopsticks down on the table, “Didn’t you just head out last week with Jiyong? And look what happened to you.”


“Come on, I was just unlucky that time. Please, Seunghyun. You said that you would help me, right? I want to go out. I need to go. Being confined in the palace is making me go crazy.” You pleaded.


Seunghyun stared at you silently and you continued, “I’ve been so depressed lately and going out will really cheer me up. Besides, I’ll stick by your side all the time. I won’t get into any trouble, I swear.”


“What exactly is so intriguing in town?” Seunghyun raised an eyebrow.


“I heard that Daesung’s birthday is coming soon and I want to get him a present.” You replied. “You’re not going to make me look like a bad sister, right? I promise I’ll be quick. We can come back right after I buy his present, okay?”


You gave your best puppy face and Seunghyun eventually caved, “Alright, fine. But you have to promise to stay within my sight at all times. You’re not allowed to run off by yourself, got it?”


“Got it!” You beamed happily at him. “You’re really the best, Seunghyun!”


Seunghyun let out a defeated sigh but smiled at you and said, “Meet me at the eastern exit at noon and we’ll depart from there.”


Rushing back to your residence, you grabbed some papers and headed to the desk.


“Miyeon, quick, get me a brush and some ink.” You said as you sat down and stared at the blank papers in front of you.


You have decided to write a letter to Siwon and Yuri since it looks like you are not able to visit them anytime soon.


Once Miyeon brought the brush over, she started grinding the ink stick and then mixing it with some water on the ink stone. When all was ready, you dipped the brush with ink and began writing.


You knew you couldn’t be too detailed in case the letter falls in the wrong hands and you pondered over how you should write the letter. With your limited knowledge of writing, there weren’t much words you are able to write as well.


Eventually, you wrote out the words: I am fine. I miss you both. I will be back.


There. Your friends should understand and it wasn’t too detailed as well. You didn’t even dare to sign off but you knew your friends would know that the letter was from you.


Tucking the letter into an envelope, you wrote down the address of an elderly lady who lived down the street. Writing the exact address of your home would be too risky and you believed that the old lady would pass the mail to either Siwon or Yuri. Carefully writing down Yuri’s name on the envelope, you let the ink dry after and then proceeded to conceal the envelope by stuffing it into your robes.


When noon came, you entered the carriage with Seunghyun nervously and as the horse trotted out of the palace, you wondered if you would be able to send this letter out successfully without Seunghyun’s knowledge. You had decided that when Seunghyun was distracted, you would pop into the post office and put the envelope there along with some money and make your way immediately back to Seunghyun. The people at the post office would then proceed to deliver your mail to the old lady.


You knew that it was a flimsy plan as Seunghyun may not even be distracted at all but if done right, this would barely take three minutes. You had to at least try.


“So, what are you getting for Daesung?” Seunghyun asked in the carriage.


“Hmm?” You pulled yourself out of your thoughts and said. “Um, I’m not sure yet. I thought maybe you could help me with that. What does he like?”


“Well, Ji is giving him a sword and I have bought a set of brushes for him…” Seunghyun said slowly. “Maybe you can get him some books? He has been reading a lot recently.”


“Okay! We can go to the bookshop and you can help me pick!” You replied with a smile.


When the carriage came to a stop in the middle of the same town where you had been with Jiyong, the both of you got out and just like what Jiyong had mentioned, Seunghyun had reminded you that your identities must be kept a secret.


You patiently followed Seunghyun around in the next two hours as he paid a visit to an old minister who had retired many years ago. The elderly minister was surprised and pleased at your presence and had his wife bring out their best wine and desserts. You were not allowed to have any wine; being a princess and whatnot, so all you had were the rice dumplings which you enjoyed thoroughly. You sat quietly beside Seunghyun as you ate while the men talked about politics and the emperor’s recent health. There was more talk about the upcoming Chinese emperor’s visit and the old minister kept saying that the emperor had been waiting for a long time for this visit.


When Seunghyun finally stood up and said that it was time for him to leave, the minister and his wife bowed deeply to the both of you and escorted you out of their fancy residence.


“Sorry it took so long,” Seunghyun said as the both of you returned to the busy street. “He had always been a loyal minister and is one of father’s most trusted official. I thought it would be good to remain in close contact with him as he is extremely experienced with the politics of the palace. It would be good to learn some things from him.”


You nodded in agreement and thought about what Jiyong had said a few days ago. About how Seunghyun would make an excellent emperor. Jiyong was right. Seunghyun was really smart and is already making connections with the right people.


“It’s okay. I know that it’s necessary for you to visit these ministers. After all, you’re the crown prince. There must be many responsibilities for you compared to the other princes.” You smiled.


Seunghyun stared at you, bewildered until you raised a questioning eyebrow.


He cleared his throat and looked away, then said, “We can go to the bookshop now.”


You nodded and kept your eyes focused on the street before you. You remembered passing by a post office while you were running away from Jiyong the other time. As you and Seunghyun headed to the next street, your eyes lit up when you saw the post office at the end of the street.


Thankfully, Seunghyun stopped in front of a bookshop that was located on the exact same street. You gave the post office another longing look as you entered the bookshop with Seunghyun.


Will three minutes be enough for you to run to the end of the street and return? Most likely not…


“Actually, I have no idea what genre Daesung likes,” Seunghyun said, his eyes on the books on the wooden shelves.


“Mmmhmm…” You replied distractedly.


“Is everything alright?” Seunghyun asked, concerned.


Snapping your attention back to him, you quickly replied, “W-Well, I’m hungry.”


Surprised, Seunghyun lifted his eyebrows and asked, “Didn’t you eat a lot at the minister’s house?”


You forced out a laugh and replied, “Yes but I’m still hungry…”


Seunghyun stared at you, amused and then replied, “Alright, let’s go get something to eat. What do you want?”


“I saw a vendor selling some fried pancakes on the street behind. Could you get some for me while I stay here and pick out Daesung’s present?” You asked hopefully.


“Oh, why don’t we go together?” Seunghyun asked.


You pretended to cough and said, “I think the winter air outside is too cold for me. I’m afraid I’ll get sick again. Sorry, Seunghyun. If you want me to come with you, I can do that, I guess.”


Concerned, Seunghyun quickly felt your forehead and asked, “Are you feeling sick? Shall we head back?”


“No, no!” You protested. “I’m feeling fine since I’m not out in the cold. I didn’t feel very well earlier when we were on our way here so I’m just afraid that…”


“Alright, I’ll get your fried pancakes for yo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter