Sunday Morning

In My Heart ♥️ - A ChanSoo Fanfiction
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“This bruschetta is divine!” Mrs. Park enthused as the families of Yoora and her fiance decided to have an intimate brunch among family and friends—a small gathering of twenty people–before holding a separate bridal shower and bachelor’s stag party the next day.

 

The pristine outdoor villa was the perfect setting, as glorious weather greeted the guests on that lazy Sunday morning.  Chanyeol still had bouts of jet lag and still found himself tired, despite having returned to Seoul for a few days now.  There were several scrumptious food on the brunch, but he found himself smelling fresh fruits to keep awake, especially oranges.  He would nod and respond, not really absorbing the chit chat around him, until someone enthusiastically slapped him up the back just as he was gulping down some water.

 

The mess he’d made as water unceremoniously dripped down his mouth and white crisp shirt only made the perpetrator laugh harder.

 

Chanyeol was about to take a swing at the culprit when his jaw dropped and laughed in return. “JONGDAE-YAH!!!”

 

If Yoora had told him Jongdae was invited, he would have been looking forward to this event.  Or maybe his sister did, only he hadn’t been paying attention.  Either way, it was so good to see Jongdae again!  He squeezed his childhood best friend tightly and shook him in joy like a rag doll, as Jongdae whined childishly.  “YAH!  LET GO OF ME, YOU MASSIVE BRUTE!”

 

Yoora and the rest of the wedding party were laughing in amusement at this energetic display of affection.   

 

Chanyeol apologized profusely and let Jongdae down to his feet, after which his thinner, smaller friend was able to hug him properly.  “I missed you too, pabo,” Jongdae whispered fondly, patting Chanyeol’s back as the taller one contentedly laid his head on his shoulder.  “How have you been?”

 

“Fine,” Chanyeol murmured, finally pulling back to take a good look at his friend, whom the years had been very kind to.  “I feel much better, especially seeing you here.”

 

“Well, you’ve certainly grown up in a lot of ways, especially in muscles.  You stood like a long pole since we saw each other last, whereas I pretty much look the same, or so I’ve been told,” Jongdae cajoled and then met the smiling bride’s eyes. 

 

Jongdae winced.  “Sorry, noona, I was late!”  Then he rushed over to give Yoora a kiss on the cheek.

 

He also handed her a small gift, while Chanyeol’s sister reminded him that he promised to sing at her wedding. “I wouldn’t miss it for the world, noona,” Jongdae guaranteed with a sincere smile, as he moved to hug Mrs. Park and shake hands with Mr. Park.  After all this, Jongdae was introduced as a dear family friend and he bowed to the members of the groom’s family.

 

Jongdae then comfortably sat on the seat next to Chanyeol as the newcomer was served some entrees.  “Fancy restaurant, huh?” He elegantly placed the burgundy napkin over his lap and tried the spinach soup.  “Noona told me you’ll be back for good.”

 

“That’s the goal,” Chanyeol said casually, twirling his fork with strands of spicy pasta.  “I’ll be setting up Maa in Seoul.  Some plans have been underway.  I’ll be needing some staff soon.  Where are you working now?”

 

“I sing at bars and weddings full time and I teach singing lessons to kids on my days off.  I’ll have a class later, actually,” Jongdae shared, humming appreciatively as he tried the pasta himself.  “This pasta is top-tier!  No wonder this restaurant is booked for months.”

 

Chanyeol frowned.  True, the pasta was to die for, but he would see to it that Maa Seoul would be at the same level within months of opening.  “Maa would need a chef of this caliber.  Let me know if you have recommendations.”

 

Jongdae nodded but not before taking another forkful of the pasta.  “Sure, I’ll ask around.”

 

Around half an hour passed and the brunch was pleasantly commencing.  Family and friends caught up with each other and took pictures and videos to share on SNS and with each other.   Taller and heavier Chanyeol even liberally jumped on Jongdae and they took a hilarious photo of the former on piggyback.  

 

 

A waiter came around to refill the guests’ glasses with water minutes later, when Yoora shyly asked, “My apologies, but may we talk to the chef in charge of our meals today?  We would love to give him or her our compliments.”

 

The waiter smiled and bowed.  “Of course.  It’s our sous chef that prepared everything for you this morning.  I will call him for you.”

 

Chanyeol and Jongdae were in their own little world, ribbing each other about old times, when Chanyeol heard his mother say:  “Kyungsoo-ssi?  Is that you?”

 

Chanyeol froze, suddenly unable to turn around.  Did… his mother mean… Do Kyungsoo?

 

Kyungsoo… the one he… 

 

Left…?

 

He’s alive?

 

The shocked expression that quickly transformed into an ecstatic grin from Jongdae gave Chanyeol his confirmation.

 

“KYUNGSOO-YAH!!!” Jongdae screamed gracelessly, jumping out of his seat to launch himself forward.  

 

Chanyeol’s back was turned to them and he couldn’t find the strength or the audacity to face him.  

 

SEVEN YEARS.

 

He… disappeared without a trace after all that time. 

 

He found himself getting up from his seat and running indoors, nearly knocking over a server with plates full of food in his arms.  

 

He apologized mindlessly until he turned for the men’s room, automatically locking himself inside a cubicle, trying to catch his breath.

 

 

Could it be… real?

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter