Chapter nine

Anything could happen under a Moon of steel

“You know what? I’ll just let them take everything they want, the company can go down and everything with it, I’ll find a way to stay up. I don’t care!” She watched Sunny nod with a sardonic smile on her lips, meanwhile her teeth were sinking in the umpteenth fried chicken wing. “What? You don’t believe me?”

Smacking her sauce stained lips she seemed to think hard about it. “Ehm… no. So try a step you’d actually do.”

The fact that she couldn’t figure out any other step was disturbing her appetite.

“Also you need to eat, can’t bring down Satan’s minions with an empty stomach.” A chicken wig was presented on , kind eyes behind it. She gave a bite and then her tummy grumbled, making them both laugh. “Told you, come on then.”

She knew Sunny was still angry with her, she could see it in the shades of those brown eyes, and really she didn’t deserve this gentle treatment.

“I don’t think it’ll make much of the difference but now I am hungry. Maybe it’s your endearing way of eating that opened my stomach.” Sunny thinned her eyes sensing the sarcastic tone, an eye on the plate and another on her.

“Thank you.” It was the witty response.

“You are very welcome.” She tried to not laugh, but the smirk stayed put.

In the end she couldn’t think at anything that wasn’t Sunny eating.

 

“We have a discourse left open, do you remember?” She immediately saw Taeyeon stiffen, the hold on the chopsticks toughening. But she nodded and reverted all her attention to her eyes. It was almost nerve fretting the way that girl could hold her stare so much, her clients never did, they avoided her eyes, like it was some sort of mirror on the reality and reminded them of the gravity of their actions.

“Also, you are watching me again.” She heard the suffocated sigh and raised an eyebrow in question.

The blonde agitated her water glass and sighed again. “How am I supposed to not look at you when I am having lunch just with you, and you are talking to me.”

She shrugged her shoulder. “You figure it out.”

“God I think I need alcohol to carry on this conversation.” She giggled and watched the roof in search of help. Sunny offered her own glass of beer with nonchalance.

“Maybe it’ll loose your tongue.” Taeyeon snorted but refused.

“I assure you my tongue is loose enough.” The double meaning made the brunette grimace but with a smile on her lips. “Also I am driving and you are already terrified of my driving.”

“I am not terrified and that was disgusting.” Sunny tried to put on serious mask but failed really fast and giggled.

Taeyeon found herself smiling ear to ear with easy. “So disgusting you are laughing, yeah sure.” The other girl just sticks out her tongue and continued to sip her beer.

Clearing out she focused on what she wanted to say, trying to organize her thoughts. In reality she was overthinking the situation over and over in her head, without finding a meaning or rationality of her feelings. It should come obvious that feelings don’t have rationality but her mind always worked better than her heart.

“I don’t know what I want to do, this is the more honest answer I can give you.” And it was, it was confusing to this point.

The brunette lowered her head, disappointment in the lines of her face, it caused a drop in her circulation, a missed beat. “I can understand that I am trying to, but I’d rather not stay in this limbo.” Amber shining eyes raised up, meeting hers in a stalemate. Her hands were sweating.

“What if we’ll just go with the flow?” She got an eyebrow raise for answer, that meant explain yourself before I get angry.

Taeyeon swallowed and tried again. “I mean I want to spend the rest of the days we got here with ease. While I’ll try to solve other things, we could do just what we feel and then when we go back in the states see what we want to do.” Her hands were just sweating more watching Sunny contemplate her discourse, a pout on her lips.

“This is a exact definition of a limbo. You do realize that?” The pout got bigger and the frown on her forehead too.

She found her hands playing with the handkerchief, torturing it as it was happening to her soul. “I-I can’t give anything sure, I-I am sorry.” And there it was again apologizing, so uncommon it felt wrong on her tongue.

Sunny was staring at her again, in that unsettling way of hers, when you couldn’t read a single thing. “Maybe I just want too much.” Then there was a sigh and several moments passed, her hair was tucked under her little ears now becoming red. Taeyeon was almost hypnotized, watching every move, every twitch, trying to understand something.

The brunette fissured her eyelids, playing with a chicken wig. Then extended her open hand a small smile on her lips. “But no , I was promised so.”

The blonde blinked, glancing at the hand in between them, what now? “I wasn’t thinking about .”

“Just take it before I rethink this.”

Her hand acted on her own and shake the others. Now what? “Now what?” It was impossible to keep the question bottled in. Now everything felt itching, the blood pumping faster then usual.

Sunny giggled and shrugged. “I don’t know, it is your plan.”

And she was perfectly right.

With three-four days to go what to do?

 

“What people do to dates this days?” They were just walking in a park near, the air crispy with the Sun appearing and hiding behind the clouds.

“Is this a date?” Sunny glanced at her questionably.

The hands inside her coat twitched. It wasn’t supposed to feel this awkward. She didn’t think it’d be like this when she suggested it. “I think?”

“Well I don’t know, I don’t go on dates.” It felt harsh even for her and watching Taeyeon visibly shrinking she felt guilty. “But I think you need to just be more natural.” And with that she took the blonde hand inside of her coat and in her hand. It was cold, she learned that the other girl was always cold, so she tried to kept it warm.

Taeyeon hummed, the breath creating fog in the air, her eyes pointed just forward. “Acting natural never rewarded me.” Sadness reversed in every word and she just wanted to ask, unveil something of her past, but knew that a wall was expecting her.

The hand in hers was starting to relax and maybe it was an opening. “Just try it with me, the rest of the world can wait.”

She hummed again, like the weight of everything was on her not so broad shoulders. “What makes you special?” It was an honest question but left her speechless.

Gripping her hand harder she thought about it. “I am not special, but you like me, that gives me few points.” The blonde watched her behind unsure dark orbs.

“Neither liking someone ever rewarded me.” Now it was starting to be frustrating, honestly.

She huffed and left the hand in hers to the cold wind, immediately hearing a sigh of disappointment. “You want to do it or not?”

Taeyeon almost jumped, her eyes big for a second, like she was back on earth again. Interlinking their fingers again she was brought closer with a delicate push. “I am sorry.”

Who knows maybe someday she’ll learn to get past that gentle tone, but that time wasn’t today.

“I am not good at communicating, never been really.” Sunny nodded, their shoulder touching, people watching them all around, but she couldn’t care less. “My ex-girlfriend, umm.” Now she got all of her attention, she was hanging on those pale lips. “She used to say that to me every time we got into a fight.” The sad smile on made her heart throb. “At the end I am glad that wasn’t why she broke up with me.”

She felt like a icy cold breeze passed inside her body, and was dying to ask.

“You want to know I guess?” The voice was tiny and the big sharky lawyer she learned to know disappeared for a while.

“If you want to tell me, I am all ears.” Sunny heard the groan and smiled a bit.

Taeyeon spotted a bench and lead her to sit on it. Then she took a big gulp of air, she was playing with her fingers now, caressing each one as if it was a shocking sight. “You have very small hands.” That made her cheeks get pink.

“Just get on with your story before I snap yours.” She laughed and put their hands near to compare, Taeyeon’s were longer almost by a phalanx, that made her swallow. “It’s cute thought.”

Sunny squinted hard trying to resist the need to blush. “On with it Taeyeon.”

The girl huffed and restarted to paly with her fingers, distracting a big part of her brain.

“It’s very simply really, I was just an idiot.” It sounded like it was the most difficult thing someone ever asked her to do.

“What is her name?” She asked trying to help.

“Sooyeon.” Her voice actually cracked and she smiled in sympathy. “Anyway she was a waitress in a Korean restaurant I used to go when I missed home. She was very sweet with me from the very beginning and you know how these things go…” She calmly breathed in and out. “I was so in love, I didn’t see anything else, not the way she was with me just for the money or the way she wasn’t into me, at all. My friend told me, time and time again, but I just wouldn’t listen.” A heavy sigh, it was crystal clear that it was taking a toll on her. “So, one day I decided to propose, and she said yes! Can you believe it, I was on the moon.” Her onyx eyes started to tear and she tightened the hold on her fingers. “But then when my parents insisted on a prenuptial agreement she just changed, I saw her real face and then she just left, no goodbye.” No tears made it out of her eyes but the voice cracked a bit.

Sunny didn’t know what to say, it was harsh and a cruel story. Even so because she could see that the other girl still wasn’t past this. “I am sorry it sounds very painful.”

Taeyeon blinked the tears away and shrugged. “Now you know why I am very reluctant to start anything.” The other hand was tormenting her leg. The tension written all over her shoulders.

“I am not going to steal all your money and run away, Taeyeon.” Their eyes met and it was fire and ice in just a moment. “But you can’t really trust anyone, can you?”

She shrugged again, the lines around more pronounced than before. “I want to try to. It hurts.”

The pain reached her to, making her blink unexpected tears away.

Then the hand in hers moved on her leg and squeezed it, with intention. A sparkle followed the line of her spine. Taeyeon in a moment gotten closer, their noses almost touching, little air between them.

“I still want to kiss you, thought.” The pain was still here, but the smile broke something into her. She felt her heart jump in . Her hands were trembling but she shortened even more their distance.

Taeyeon’s eyes darkened and she felt long fingers tracing her cheek and then her lips, slowly, like she was afraid to break her. And maybe she was.

It was her at least that couldn’t hold it anymore and kissed those lips Infront of hers. The blonde gasped on before responding to the kiss, tenderly, as if they’d have all the time in the world.

She tasted like her mint chapstick and something bitter that was addicting, neither of them deepened the kiss, satisfied to just brush against each other in a slow dance.

Finally air was needed and they detached, just for connecting their foreheads. Taeyeon was smiling at her again, and it was wide, breathless.

“Now, that was worth reviving the heartbreak again.” Sunny choked on that and felt something warm swarm in her stomach.