Chapter four

Anything could happen under a Moon of steel

“Big sister!” Her two brothers were perched behind her door, big smiles and teasing eyes. She hugged them both, barely reaching their chests with the head, maybe she missed them a little.

“Mom told us you finally found a woman, eh?” Her baby brother Dowon, just eighteen and always a champ in teasing her. “She even told us she’s your secretary.” And then he winked dirty.

No she didn’t miss any of them.

“Don’t , come on.” Jaeho, the second born, always in the middle. She didn’t trust him one bit. “Is she a hot kind of secretary?” They started to laugh in their expansive looking suits.

She let them for a few moments, biting her lip, crossing her arms. “This means I got to finally see your girlfriends? Did the both of you managed to get a girl who doesn’t want the money you actually don’t have right now, I am impressed.”

Dowon grinned bigger before snorting. “Bye big sister, see you at the party.” Planting a metaphoric white flag.

The other boy crossed his arms, watching the floor. “If you could convince Mom to actually give us some power, well maybe.” Typical, that was always what he wanted, to use her.

“Jae, if you were trustworthy then they would without me asking for you. And I am sorry, but for the last time I won’t’. You need to handle this yourself.” She put a open hand on his chest, that he immediately yanked away.

“Just say that you don’t want too, .” And then went away leaving her to lean on the door, huffing at no one.

Throwing a punch on the wall she resisted to the urge of screaming her lungs out, instead reentered in her room.

Sunny was moving around in a soft pink dressing gown, still feet patting on the parquet, doubt on her bare face. She was still that pretty without any make up, her heart got two size smaller, it hurt feeling things her own self gave up onto.

She was obviously just affection and touch deprived, just that.

Taeyeon was just about to bit her own hand when she was addressed. “So, for this party, how should I dress? Is it elegant? Casual?” She was staring at her open luggage.

“Hmmm, let’s see. It’s not something so formal, so not really elegant, in the middle?” The hand scratching her neck was trembling a bit just thinking at the evening.

Sunny stared at her like she had snakes for hair. “What’s supposed to mean? What does it mean in the middle?”

The fact that the gown finished a lot above the knee wasn’t helping, she wasn’t supposed to picture those thighs clenching around her hips. God, how am I going to survive a week?

She cleared . “In the middle, you know some good pants and a blouse kind of thing?” That was what she was going to wear anyhow.

The girl nodded biting her plump lips, scanning her suitcase with hesitation. “I don’t think I have any good pants, but I have a black pencil skirt. What do you think?” Taeyeon started to chuckle right away and at the unimpressed face of the other she laughed harder. “What?” She was searching for a top to combine, her client was really strange sometimes.

“Nothing, I am sorry. It’s just, you know, the stereotypical attire for a secretary in a lawyers studio.” She was still chuckling until it evolved in a full laugh, a very particular one.

Sunny watched the other woman as if she was an alien, the deep and round laugh shocked her. It was pretty entertaining thoguht and she found herself cracking a smile. “Why are you laughing that much?”

The blond started to breathe normal after few moments and holding her heaving chest she dropped on the couch. “Nothing… nothing, I think I just have a strange sense of the humor. Well everyone tells me so anyway.”

She just huffed and kept searching the top. “Who was at the door before?” She was also curious.

“My brothers, probably you should know it. I got two younger troublemakers, Dowon the younger one and then Jaeho, my real thorn in the side.” She passed a hand on her forehead, already feeling the return of the headache.

“You don’t get along?” She found a pastel red blouse to get along with the skirt in the meantime.

Taeyeon snorted. “Let’s say we could do better, you’ll meet both of them in a while. I warn you, they can be quite evil sometimes.”

“I think I can handle a pair of riches boys with a sharp tongue, I had worse.” She got up and adjusted her bangs not missing the way the other was staring intently ad her. Sunny heard the loud huff coming from the couch.

“Right.” Why she always ends up making the atmosphere awkward, her face hidden between a hand was getting rosy.

 

Few hours later they were both ready to come down for the evening. Taeyeon found in her cabin closet a white plain blouse and some striped pants to put on, with a high ponytail and a simple hand of make up finished her look. Now she couldn’t look away from the brunette applying thoroughly a soft shade of red lipstick on her lips, it was hypnotizing, she was stuck. And then she was finished.

“So how do I look?” Sunny actually did a twirl, a unstable smirk on now red lips.

Taeyeon especially liked how the skirt put out those round hips, but that wasn’t going to evade . She cleared . “Really great, I think we are ready… right?” Her fingers hitched to touch.

The other girl nodded watching herself in the mirror for the last time. Then took the hand waiting for hers as if it was natural, like it was already an habit. It irked her a bit this facility, the too easy way in which she found herself lulled in an alternative universe, where she was the girlfriend of a gentle and pretty lawyer. She must remind her mind that this was going to end and she must return to her real life. But for the time begin the warm hand in hers felt strong and those onyx eyes staring at her reassuring.

 

Taeyeon was holding back from just wrapping an arm around Sunny’s hips, instead she contented with the hand that was resting on the incave of her arm.

As she was expecting the little party with few people was actually a full business party, all of the big investors where there with family, smiling at her and waiting to talk. Her parents had already presented them to a storm of new associated, mostly young ones that eyed the both of them with the usual educate disgust mist of want. Sunny smiled at every single one of them as if she didn’t notice and she was grateful for that, but she wished to break every slick neck.

Watching her fake girlfriend nod with a blank expression to the umpteen boy explaining to her how she was supposed to do her job, Taeyeon remembered exactly why she lived in New York now.

“Thank you Mr. hmmm Mr. Yang is it? Well these were really helpful info, but I think I need a drink after all these numbers.” She faked a laugh. “If you’ll excuse us… oh and maybe you could remind your father of the rate due to last month? You know maybe the bank made a mistake, it can happen, but the money didn’t arrive. Thank you again.” She left the boy with embarrassment on his face and red ears.

“Oh God, thank you. I don’t think I could’ve taken another rant on whatever the he was talking about.” She chuckled at Sunny frustration and nodded.

“Yeah me too, I think we deserve a drink, right?” Sparkling eyes met hers and she almost missed a step.

“More like ten, but yeah.” She was getting lost in it, in this posh fantasy, it didn’t help that Taeyeon was always so sure, so stable next to her, eyeing her from the side, she had never seen that shade of gentle, of fear mist of kindness. Maybe drinking wasn’t the best option right now, because she was already dizzy from all of it, but you live only once right?

That was the best Martini she had ever had, and she had so many, it didn’t just burn your throat, it was actually good to drink. Popping the olive in she felt a pair of eyes on her. “What?”

“I don’t think I ever saw someone make a one shot of a Martini.” Taeyeon had open.

She just shrugged chewing, a blush evident in her cheeks.

Taeyeon sipped her own drink with a grin on her lips, watching with fascination the girl decides on the next drink. How her lips were pursued and her eyes squinted in concentration. Abruptly the night wasn’t going so bad anymore, if only they could be alone in this bubble.

But live was a .

“Big sister! You didn’t introduce us!” Dowon was already a bit tipsy, smiling from ear to ear. The other brother next to him, a glass of prosecco in one hand.

She tried to smile without scowling, that was hard. “Brothers, meet Miss Sunny Lee.” They exchanged meaningful looks, bowing slightly.

Sunny watched both of them from head to toe, noticing the considerably expansive suits, she didn’t see them on Taeyeon, not at this extent. With a more focused inspection she found that their eyes were the same, the exact same shape and black shade, all the three of them. But the most curious thing was that the boys's seemed so different from the attorney, hers were dull but so warm, they looked like swirling hot chocolate. She was automatically drawn into.

“You know we believed our sister was going to be one of those horrible spinster with ten cats, but now we breathed a sigh of relief.” Jaeho was still sipping his prosecco, staring with those deep eyes, observing like a wolf in search of a prey.

Taeyeon rolled her eyes, resting an arm on the counter of the open bar, boasting into dry laugh. “I am only twenty-nine, I don’t think you need to worry about that for the time begin.”

The brunette watched the exchange that was surely more of what it seemed, those stares were sharp like knives. She was drinking her second Martini, her mind trying to read between the lines. Then she felt eyes on her skin, it was the younger brother, but he was more scrutinizing her.

“Do I know you thought?” He was fixated on her face, an dark eyebrow raised.

She gulped and tried to remember his face, no she didn’t know him. “I never been to Korea, I don’t think so.”

Taeyeon bit her lip looking at Dowon putting on the face she most hated, the calculating one. He had always been so analyzing, so lucid even being drank.

“But I know your face, I never forget a face Miss and yours truly I couldn’t have.” His stare didn’t even move from her face, it was getting creepy.

She shrugged. “I don’t remember yours, I am sorry.” She tried to look more normal and unfazed she could, even if it was a bit disturbing.

“Stop it, you are being weird. Don’t creep her out, she already had to put up with all those sleezy people. Go around to annoy someone else.” Her voice was low and no joking at all, her tone a little mad and unforgiving, Sunny’s heart started beating faster at the tension around them, you could feel it on your skin, sticking and threating to take your breath away.

The two were immobile, staring at each other, the time started to tic slowly. Then finally Dowon decided to let go and smiling went away, bringing the other brother with him.

The brunette restarted to inhale and exhale normally. “God, that was intense.”

Taeyeon finished her drink and nodded. “But I think he was telling the truth, he never forgets a face for real, and he comes to New York a lot.” She throws her a glance, a worried one. “What do you think? It is possible he saw you somewhere?”

Sunny blinked, trying to think. “I really don’t think so, I never saw him, I am sure.”

The other girl nodded again, her hands trembling a bit on the counter. Then she looked around, eyeing the barista and the clients at their sides. “Would you like to see the garden now? At night it is all illuminated, it’s really a sight.”

She knew immediately that the garden was the last thing on the blonde’s mind but agreed, nevertheless.

 

It was truly a spectacular sight, all illuminated in bright colors, lights at every step you could walk, arches of flowers on your head at every turn. Finally the fountain seemed to come from a tale, a truly light and water show. “It is really beautiful, you should have your party out here.” The wind brushed her arms and she shivered.

Taeyeon chuckled. “Yeah we usually do, but not with this temperature.” She took her jacket and wrapped it around her shoulders, making her squint. “You are freezing, I got a long-sleeved blouse under, it’s okay.”

Sunny adjusted it and was about to protest but the tormented look on the other stopped her.

“You think he could’ve seen your pictures on the site?” Her firm eyes were shining under all of those lights, but the argument killed all the magic.

She sat on the marble circling the fountain and sighed. “I don’t know, maybe? He’s going to tell your parents?”

The blonde palmed her forehead and groaned. “He is a snake, I am sure he’ll come out with something worse.”

“Well, you can just say that we broke up.” She was tormenting her reddish lips, her feet didn't touch the ground, trying to not feel bad about what she just said. Crazy is it?

Taeyeon put both hands at her side on the marble, watching the water play. “Is not that simple.” The grave turn on her voice made her actually worry.

“Then explain it to me.” A stare pierced her face, it was deep and searching.

“My parents want to give to me my part of the heredity and retire. But they don’t want if I am not stable, and for them it means being married or at least in a good relationship.” She stopped to inhale and watch her again. “Now my brothers obviously don’t like that the biggest part of it goes to me and want to push me out. I don’t really care about the money, but I know that they would do a mess and I can’t let that happen.” Taeyeon seemed to be investigation her soul whit those looks. “Can you understand me?”

She could, or at least she thought so, she didn’t have any heredity to worry about, just debts. Sunny just nodded and broke their staring contest, watching at the roses blooming all around.

“I don’t think you can rent me forever, thought.” She giggled a little, the giggle died in when Taeyeon shifted right in front of her, her hands at her sides, almost trapping her.

There were so many thoughts going around that head, she could hear the wheels spinning and then it abruptrly ended. Taeyeon was just observing, tracing her face with just her irises. “I can’t, can I?” That was so low she almost didn’t get it, but her lips were so close she could read it on them.

She felt the tension englobe her whole, her breath shortened while Taeyeon’s nose brushed hers. It felt all like a dream, the scent of forest and sea combined overwhelmed her and goosebumps were forming on her arms.

Sunny couldn’t seem to be able to talk, her lips sealed, watching the other’s get closer and closer. The blonde eyes alternated between her own eyes and , their legs touched and a warm hand brushed a leg, making her unconsciously spread them.

Now she felt puffs of air hitting her cheeks, and Taeyeon was leaning in, her heart started to beat so fast she couldn’t hear anything else. Her eyelids closed on its own and she waited.

The pressure never arrived and she felt cold again watching the other girl step away, her face red as a bloomed rose.

“I am… I am sorry.” Her voice cracked and she couldn’t look at her. “We… we should head inside, it’s starting to get really cold.”

 

Taeyeon was still having difficult to breath normally while they walked, she really was about to kiss someone who she paid to be with her. She felt like tearing her inside out and beat herself to blood, punch her ing face until she couldn’t feel it anymore.

The atmosphere was seriously playing with her mind, the way Sunny looked like her last hope, an angel under all those lights, under all those stars made her brain freeze.

Luckily she stopped in time, right.

But she couldn’t get out of her mind those alluring sweet eyes staring back at her from up close.