BEHIND CLOSED DOORS

DESTINY

'Oppa, can't you at least pretend that you're actually enjoying this?'

Umji's voice brought Jinyoung back from his wondering thoughts. He just glanced at the petite girl next to him with a forced smile.

'Sorry...I just had a lot of stuff going on...' He said.

The couple was at a gallery opening event organized by Umji's cousin.

'If I know you're gonna be like this...I might as well attend it alone...' She whined.

'Didn't I tell you that I'm busy? You dragged me here...' Jinyoung retorted. He's this close of leaving the girl behind and flees.

'So it's my fault then?' Umji was fuming. Why did she have such an insensitive fiancé?

'Look...I don't want to argue with you...I'm already tired from work and I'm not in the mood to fight...I'm going to the bathroom.' Jinyoung said, walking away.

'Oppa!' Umji called but the guy just ignored her.

Meanwhile...

'Thank you for coming unnie...' Hyejin said as she hugged Moonbyul.

'It's our pleasure...right honey?' Moonbyul said, linking her arm with her husband, Mark.

'Yeah...thank you for the invite…this is impressive...' Mark said scanning around.'

'Thank you oppa...I gotta go now, I'll see you later ok?'

When Hyejin left...

'So, Hyejin is an artist? These artworks are incredible...' Mark looked at various paintings on the wall.

'Yeah...she was my roommate when we're studying back in New York...funny, very talented woman...' Moonbyul smiled. 'You ok?'

'I'm fine...why wouldn't I be?' Mark frowned, looking at his wife.

'I dunno...I thought I'd just ask...'

'I'm okay Byul ah...' Mark patted Moonbyul's hand. 'Thanks for asking...'

Jinyoung's mood went from bad to worse as the night progressed. He wanted to leave a.s.a.p.

'I think we should leave now...I have early meeting tomorrow and I need my rest...'

'But...my friends just got here...' Umji pouted.

'Well, in that case...I'll just head home alone then...bye...'

Umji was flabbergasted when Jinyoung decided to leave her behind at the event. Jinyoung was driving past the gallery when he saw Mark walking out, arm in arm with a woman, laughing. He felt a tug in his chest.

*You look good tonight*

It's been over a year since their break up and while Mark is now happily married, Jinyoung kept holding back his own marriage. He gave various excuses and busied himself with work trying to dodge the big M questions.

'You know that he's at the event right?' Moonbyul glanced at driving Mark. They were on their way back home after the event.

'I saw him...'

'Why didn't you go and talk to him?'

'It's not necessary...besides, there's nothing to talk about.'

'Mark...'

'So...shall we stop somewhere and eat? I'm kinda starving...' Mark said trying to change the subject.

***********************

'I can't believe you ditch your own fiancée at the event!' Mr. Park stared at his son.

Jinyoung just sat at the end of the conference table, flipping pages of a document he had in his hand.

'Park Jinyoung!' His father's voice got louder, harsher.

'What do you want me to do? Wait for her?' Jinyoung talked back.

'She's your fiancée. That's your duty!'

'Is it? I don't see it written anywhere in Engaged 101...fiancé duty...' Jinyoung said sarcastically.

'I've had enough of your attitude Jinyoung. Umji didn't deserve to be treated that way!'

'And I do? Please dad...just leave me alone...I did what you asked me...'

'And one more thing...you two has been engaged for over a year...you should be preparing for your wedding...' Mr. Park said.

'I'm too busy...look dad, I like to stay and chat but I gotta business to handle...'

Jinyoung took his file and head towards the door ignoring his father calling his name. His assistant bowed as he arrived at his office and followed him inside.

'Hold all my calls for today...I don't want to be disturbed.' He instructed.

 

'Even from Umji ssi?' His assistant Hyunjin asked.

'Especially her...'

'Yes sir...'

'And cancel the rest of my appointment. Thank you Hyunjin ah...' Jinyoung smiled.'

'You're welcome sir...'

Hyunjin bowed and left the office. Jinyoung pulled the drawer next to him and two silver ring bands was in there, staring back at him.

*I missed you so much Yi En...*

Moonbyul walked into Mark's private room inside his office and saw the man was sleeping soundly on the bed at the corner of the dimly lit room. She went closer and sat at the edge of the bed and saw her husband holding his cellphone in his sleep. She carefully took the phone away and when she accidentally touched the screen, it light up. The picture on the screen caught her eye. It's a picture of Mark and Jinyoung together with ocean in the background.

*I know you still love him...*

She put the phone away, and shakes Mark's body gently.

'Mark...wake up...'

The guy slowly stirred from his sleep.

'Hey sleepyhead...I knew you'd be here when I didn't see you at your desk...'

'What time is now?'

'Almost 6...'

'I'm so sorry...are we already late for dinner?' Mark said, getting up from the bed.

'I told my mom we're gonna be late...don't worry ok?' Moonbyul assured him.

'Thank you...' Mark kissed his wife's temple.

The dinner at his in-laws was pleasant to say the least. Moonbyul was an only child and her parents doted on her.

'So, any baby news yet?' Mrs. Park asked when they were sitting together at the living room having wine.

'Mom...' Moonbyul frowned. 'Not that again...'

'What? It's been over a year since you two got married...'

'But we're not ready for kids yet...I'm not ready...'

'Byul ah...you're not getting any younger...or did any of you got problems?'

'We're perfectly healthy mom...it’s just the matter of time...when the baby come, we'll let everybody know.'

Mark glanced over at Moonbyul as he drove back to their house.

'I'm sorry...' He said.

'For what?'

'Everything...'

'Mark...I thought we've talked about it...'

'I know...it feels like I'm holding you back when all of this happens...'

'Believe me...you're not...'

That night...

It's almost 2a.m when Moonbyul wake up from her sleep. She looked over and saw Mark curled over on his side of the bed. She got up and walked out from the bedroom and went to the kitchen.

 

Sitting alone at the island, Moonbyul lets out a heavy sigh.

*So, any baby news yet?*

There's a lump in ...she wanted babies...she could raise a basketball team if she can…but after getting married with Mark, she knew that dream of hers would just stay as a mere dream…nothing more, nothing less.

Moonbyul loved Mark, she truly did…but Mark doesn’t feel the same way towards her. She knew the marriage was just a façade…a mask that doesn’t mean anything…especially to Mark. Their marriage is just another strategic move to strengthen the unity between two powerful leaders in the business industry.

Flashback

‘Are you sure about this Moonbyul?’ Mark asked as the two meet up at a private café a few blocks away from his office.

‘I just want what’s best for our company…if marriage is what it takes to elevate us to the next level then why not?’ Moonbyul looked at the man in front of her.

‘This is an arranged marriage so to speak…’

‘I don’t mind…we could fall in love in the future…who knows…’

‘Love? I don’t think I could love you Moonbyul…or any other woman…’ Mark said.

‘What do you mean?’

‘I’m gay…and I’m in love with someone else…a man…’

There’s a change on Moonbyul’s face after hearing Mark’s words. She never knew that Mark was gay. She first met him when she accompanied her father to a golfing session and there she knew Mark Tuan, the youngest son of Raymond Tuan, President of Tuan’s Electronics…her father’s friend. They get along well and soon she found that she’s indeed falling for the quiet, reserved guy. When her father told her that Raymond Tuan wanted her to become their daughter-in-law, she was more than delighted.

‘I don’t want you to force yourself for this...you’re far too precious to be in a loveless marriage with me…’

‘What if I really wanted this?’

‘You do?’

‘Yeah…I’m comfortable with you Mark…we understand each other…”

‘I don’t want you to regret this in the future Moonbyul ah…’

‘I know I’m not…so what do you say?’

End of Flashback

They got married and Moonbyul hoped that Mark eventually fall for her but that day never came. She got to know Mark though…he was a considerate partner; he respected her space and never crossed the line. To the outside world, the two of them is the epitome of power couple that exude confidence and charisma, loving husband and wife duo that made people jealous of their seemingly perfect life.

 

It's not like what it seems for our men...

Don't forget to leave a comment!

BBYONG!!!