Who's That Girl?

The Boys (Incomplete)

“Aish…” Yoseob looked at the book in his hands. He hadn’t been able to concentrate on the radio program all day, and his corner had fizzled to a dead end. Something was bothering him, and he didn’t want to face it. He’d finally had no choice but to take out the diary. Just why did Da Eun affect him like this? And if he wasn’t mistaken, the other boys had the same problem too. Dongwoon, that lucky punk. Countless girls come along and he just had to hook this one. He sighed. Well, he would rather have her as a friend than as nothing. He had the feeling Dongwoon was right about that, at least. Shaking his head, he placed the book carefully in his bag and tried to concentrate on his work.

 

***

 

Da Eun stared at the girl in the mirror. Who was that? She seemed to have her height, but she’d never been that pretty. She pinched herself. “Ow!”

“Yah, what do you think you’re doing?” Hyunseung smacked her gently. He grinned at her reflection, proud. “I think I did a pretty good job, hm?”

“I’m sure the hairdresser did all the work, Bambi, so-“ She ducked, giggling as Hyunseung indignantly tried to smack her again. “Just kidding!” She hesitated, then smiled. “Gomawo, Bambi.” Fast as lightning she gave him a hug and dashed out of the hair salon.

 Shell-shocked, Hyunseung stood motionless in the middle of the salon, hardly daring to believe what had just happened.

“Yah, Da Eun’s out there having some sort of conniption fit. What’d you do to her?” Junhyung asked casually as he strolled in.

“Hm? Nothing.” Hyunseung denied. “Did you see her hair, though? What d’you think?”

“Not bad.”

“Just ‘not bad’? Ffft. Liar,” Hyunseung grinned, cuffing him lightly. “Come on; it’s time for clothes,” he said, walking out of the salon.

Behind him, Junhyung allowed himself a little grin. The hair wasn’t just ‘not bad’. In fact, the only reason he’d gone into the salon was to hide how struck he was by her appearance. It’d taken him a few seconds to recognize her, though eventually it was because of her clothes. He winced. That’s right, they had to get rid of those. He wasn’t going to stop at just ‘pretty’; he was going way past that. The others were going to go into cardiac arrest when they saw what she really looked like.

 

***

 

It was finally noon. Before it hit 12:05 Yoseob was out the door and dialing, his desk as if he’d never been there.

“Yeobosayo?” Doojoon’s tinny voice came through the speaker.

“Yah, hyung, where are you?” Yoseob asked.

“At the gym with Woonie and Kwangie. Wae?”

Yoseob winced. “Ah…”

“You want to come join us? We missed yesterday’s-“

“No! I mean, uh, where are Seungie and Junnie?” Yoseob interrupted him.

“Remember Woonie’s plan? They’re off with Da Eun-“

“Aish…”

“Wae?”

“Nothing! Um… Hey, when you guys are done, meet me for lunch? At the café? Cause we missed that also yesterday.”

“Mmkay. Lemme ask the kids.”

Yoseob grinned, waiting. He knew how enthusiastically they must be replying.

“Sounds good. Meet you there in… forty-five minutes?”

“Kay. I’ll call the others.”

 

***

 

“That’s nice,” Hyunseung said contemplatively. “Junnie?”

“Hm?” He turned around. “The dark turquoise v-neck?”

“Yup. I didn’t want to pick something too bright. I’m thinking she would feel a bit uncomfortable.”

“It’s alright. Pair that with the black skinnies,” Junhyung said offhandedly, attention already on the racks in front of him.

“Kay.” Hyunseung grabbed the shirt and the jeans, then walked up to the dressing room door. “Da Eun-ah, do those fit?”

“Um…”

“Mind if I come in? You’re all dressed, right?”

“Yeah, but-“

“I’m coming in,” he called, then pushed open the door. He stopped in his tracks. “You think those fit?” He shook his head. “I’m guessing you couldn’t really pick and choose your sizes before?”

She nodded, not even that uncomfortable talking about it anymore. “They all fit like this.”

“Da Eun-ah, these are too loose. You can tell cause if the shoulder seams lay where they should, the neck is too low, and of course there’s too much room in the waist.”

“Mm.”

“Let’s try a size smaller, shall we?” Hyunseung went back out and exchanged the clothes he held for a smaller size, then called to Da Eun, draping the clothes over the door. “Get those off and try these ones on instead while I get you another size.”

“Araso!”

Pulling his phone out to check the time, he was surprised to see he had two missed calls and a text. “Oops.” One call and a text from Seobie, one call from Woonie. Bringing up the text, he read: “We’re meeting at the café for lunch, ‘round 1.” His eyes widened. It was already 12:40 and the café was half an hour away.

“Aish…” Hyunseung poked his head out. “Junnie, Seobie just sent a text; we’re meeting for lunch at 1.”

“What time is it?”

“12:40.”

Junhyung stopped looking through the racks. “Seriously?”

“Yup.”

“Aish...” Junhyung shook his head. “Do the skinnies and the v-neck fit? We can just go now and continue after lunch.”

“I’ll ask her.” Hyunseung popped back into the dressing room and knocked on the door. “Does it fit?”

“Can you check?” Da Eun said timidly from inside.

“Kay. Coming in-“ Hyunseung stopped in his tracks once again. “Whoo…” He exhaled. “That’s…” He trailed off, staring.

Da Eun fidgeted nervously, eyes on the mirror. “Is it alright?”

“Perfect. It’s perfect,” he declared. “Let’s just get you some shoes, then we’ll be ready to go. We’re meeting the others for lunch.”

“What’s wrong with my Converse?” She protested.

Hyunseung ignored her, towing her out of the dressing room as she grabbed all her belongings. “Junnie, get her some heels-“ He looked at Da Eun’s feet. “Never mind, get her some flats. Da Eun, tell him what size.”

Da Eun did so, then returned with Junhyung and a pair of metallic silver flats.

“Not black?” Hyunseung inquired.

“Nope. Too… conservative,” Junhyung replied smoothly.

Da Eun fidgeted, feeling uncomfortable with the cashier’s stare.

Junhyung coughed and leveled a stony look at him, just happening to crack his knuckles as he did so.

She giggled as the cashier paled, swiping Hyunseung’s card a few times before turning it the right side up.

“Wait, didn’t you say Gikwang-“ She started to argue, but stopped when Junhyung elbowed her gently.

“Yah, this is where you say-“

“Gomawo,” she filled in, resigned but smiling. Junhyung was shedding more of his unfriendliness by the hour.

“Come on, let’s go! It’s already 12:50,” Hyunseung ushered the two of them out the door, having paid for Da Eun’s clothes like it was the most normal thing in the world.

 

***

 

“Yah, didn’t you say you called them?” Doojoon asked impatiently.

“I did! Seungie didn’t pick up, so I sent a text. They should be here any moment now,” Yoseob said defensively.

“Pfft. Those two and shopping,” Doojoon rolled his eyes.

“I’m hungryyyy,” Gikwang whined.

Doojoon smacked him in the stomach.

“Ow- Wait.” Gikwang narrowed his eyes and flexed. “Do it again.”

Dongwoon sighed and punched him, hard, without looking away from the door.

“Hnnngh… That hurt.”

“Pfft. Sissy. Guess you don’t have abs after all,” Doojoon teased.

Gikwang pouted, eliciting a series of sighs from all around. He smirked and winked at a random girl, making her choke on her coffee. “Oops,” he winced. “Mianhamnida,” he dipped his head slightly at her, sending her off into fits.

“Yah, stop that. You player,” Doojoon reprimanded him.

“Look who’s talking. Say, have you gotten over your rejection yet?”

As Doojoon sputtered, Dongwoon half-stood as a chorus of murmurs swept through the café.

“Yah, guys… Isn’t that Seungie and Junnie?”