Chapter 5 (Final)

Our Love Can Only Grow

This is the last chapter, it's rushed but I just didn't know how to continue this since I've lost interest in this story. Didn't proof read it either, so there will be mistakes. Well I hope you enjoy anyways. :)


It was a nice day in Daegu, not too hot and not too cold, it was perfect. There were lots of children out, running and playing games, enjoying the time of innocence. The day was enjoyed by many, yet Siyeon couldn’t even think to enjoy it when all she had on her mind was a funeral. Her father’s funeral. If only the weather had matched the gloomy event happening later that day. Both were wearing black dresses that went down to their ankles.

She and Minji were walking to where the service would be held, it was a short walk, only about 15 minutes from the hotel they were staying at. But Siyeon wished it would have been longer, she was not prepared to face her relatives after years of no contact. She was regretting coming back to her hometown, she didn’t have to be here. There was still time to turn back. Yet, she didn’t want to turn back, she didn’t know why but she wanted some closure by attending the funeral. She had no idea how idea how but maybe she’ll feel better afterwards.

Siyeon must have been lost in thought for a while because she suddenly felt Minji squeeze her hand getting her attention. She turned to look at her girlfriend, seeing a look of worry on her face. Siyeon gave her a small smile, trying to reassure her, but it probably made Minji more concerned. They spoke no words during the walk, both lost in thought at what was there to come.

Siyeon just couldn’t help but think of the worst scenario that could happen, she knew she shouldn’t, but the thought would just not leave. She was going to be facing a person who had hurt her for so many years, and relatives who never knew what happened behind closed doors. They always thought of her as a bad daughter for leaving her family, but they didn’t know the truth and they probably would never find out. Siyeon wasn’t close with them anyway.

Soon they both saw the hospital within view. They stopped right outside the building, Siyeon needed to prepare her before stepping inside and Minji knew that.

“Hey, it’ll be alright, I’m going to be by your side the whole time. Plus, you know that whatever they say doesn’t matter. They don’t know the real you, they don’t know just how amazing you are, their opinion does not matter.” Minji hoped that this little pep talk will help. She knew that some negative comments will most likely be said to Siyeon, and just the though of it happening made her mad.

Siyeon could only nod and smile at Minji, she couldn’t trust her voice right now. She could feel the knot in , she only hopped it would go away. She didn’t want to show weakness in front of everyone, especially her mother.

With that, they walked inside the hospital, heading the room where her father’s coffin was at.

After a few minutes, they made it to the room, immediately Siyeon tensed up at seeing her mother.

The years had not been kind to her mother, probably from the alcohol her parents had abused. Her hair was much grayer from the last time, there were know more wrinkles, but the way her eyes looked remained the same. The same look that Siyeon had inherited, the intimidating look that scared many people away. The intimidating look that had haunted Siyeon for years, that will forever be in her memories.

Siyeon couldn’t move, she was too scared. Even after becoming an adult and trying to overcome her past, her mother still intimidated her.

Sensing that Siyeon had stopped and gone tense, Minji looked over to Siyeon. The look on her face was something she wished Siyeon would never show. Siyeon was terrified. Quickly, Minji looked at where Siyeon’s eyes were focused and there she saw an older woman.

The woman was grieving, kneeling in front of the shrine with the picture of a man. But since they walked in, the woman had turned to look at them. Even with tears in her eyes, Minji could see the intimidating gaze she was giving them. She could see where Siyeon had gotten her eyes from, but that was about it. From the looks of it, Siyeon looked nothing like the man on the shrine, and only had the same look as the grieving woman.

Slowly, the woman had stood up, not taking her eyes off them. This worried Minji, she didn’t know what the woman was planning, and hoped it was nothing bad. She looked back at Siyeon, squeezing her hand, hoping to snap Siyeon out of the trance she was in. She succeeded, but it seemed to terrify Siyeon more once she realized the older woman was walking towards them. All they could do was wait and hope for the best.

Once the woman was in front of them, she sneered at Minji, giving them a dirty look.

“This event is for family members only. That means no friends allowed Siyeon.” The woman’s voice was raspy and hoarse, displeasure clear in her voice.

“S-she’s not j-just some friend,” Siyeon said in a meek and wobbly voice. It was hard to hear, and nervousness was clear in her voice.

“You know you need to speak up Siyeon. How many times have I taught you speak up, it’s very disrespectful.”

“S-she’s not my f-friend,” Siyeon sighed heavily, “Minji is my wife, mother.” Her voice was still shaky, but it was now louder and more confident.

“What?!?” The word was laced with venom and hatred, this worried Siyeon and Minji, they knew this was not going the way they had hoped for.

Siyeon spoke up again, “She’s my wife and has been for 2 years now.”

Suddenly Minji heard a loud slap.

The woman had just slapped Siyeon across the way. Siyeon’s face was now turned to the right, her cheek already red.

“I thought your father and I had taught you a lesson for dating a girl, and now you tell me, you’re married to one. You just keep disappointing me,” she spat at Siyeon. Sneering once again at them, this time even worse than before.

This had angered Minji greatly, she just couldn’t stay calm after seeing her wife being slapped by this terrible woman who didn’t deserve to be called a mother. Remembering how Siyeon had broken down in front of Minji, telling her of her mother, fueled this anger more. She couldn’t let Siyeon be abused again, she had to protect her wife.

“HOW DARE YOU LAY YOUR HAND ON YOUR OWN DAUGHTER! HOW CAN YOU JUST CALL HER A DISAPPOINTMENT WHEN YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT HER!!” Minji was raging at this point, she didn’t care that they were in the middle of the funeral, she didn’t care who saw her. She was just so angry at this woman.

“You don’t deserve to be called a mother, when you treat your child like this. She came here hoping for you to accept her, but now we see that you’re still as bad as all those years ago.”

“How dare you come into my husband’s funeral and yell at me on how I raised Siyeon. She needs to be taught a lesson for her mistakes, just like when she was a child. You just don’t understand what it’s like to be a parent,” the woman remarked, hoping to turn the tables and catch this girl off guard, “You’re just a disrespectful punk who’s corrupted my Siyeon. It’s always the same with you homouals.”

“You’re wrong about that, Siyeon has made no mistakes, and I don’t need to be a parent to see how terrible of a mother you have been to Siyeon. We will be leaving, Siyeon doesn’t need to be yelled at the minute she shows up to her father’s service. Goodbye.” And with that, Minji pulled Siyeon out of the service, walking outside the building.

Minji was taking Siyeon to a more secluded area, hoping to be able to comfort her wife. This much stress isn’t good for Siyeon. Stress isn’t good for anyone.

Soon, they arrive to a bench at the park where there aren’t many people around, and it’s even covered by trees and bushes, making it feel even more secluded. As soon as they both sit, Siyeon breaks down. It must’ve been tough to hold it for this long.

Minji holds Siyeon close, rubbing her back gently, letting Siyeon cry for as long as she wanted to. It broke her heart to hear her wife’s wails, but she had to be strong right now, she needed to comfort her and make sure she was okay.

Siyeon’s sobbing had slowly gotten quitter, she was still shaking, and a few whimpers would leave her lips, but she was much more relaxed now. Minji just kept rubbing Siyeon’s back and rocking her as well. She closed her eyes and started humming a little tune, hoping it will help comfort Siyeon, Siyeon did always like to de-stress with music.

Suddenly Minji had felt her hand being pinched, she opened her eyes and saw Siyeon pinching her hand without realizing it. She knew very well this habit that the younger girl would do in order to relax and feel more comfortable. Minji had always found it cute even though Siyeon would sometimes be embarrassed by it.

“Baby?” Minji asked in a soft voice, trying not to startle the other girl. “Are you feeling much better now?” At this point Siyeon had looked at Minji, her eyes red from crying.

“Mhm, but c-can we s..stay like this for a little more?” Minji just couldn’t handle moments like these, moments where Siyeon sounded and acted like a baby. Her little pout made her even more adorable.

“We can stay like this for another while, but we’ll need to head back to the hotel later.”

“Mkay. Minji, you smell nice. Seems like you finally showered.”

Seems like Siyeon was feeling better, which made Minji smile. “Excuse you, but I shower every day. So I should always smell nice.”

“Probably because you sweat every day from the gym.”

“Well at least I go to the gym unlike someone who sits in their bed all day.”

With that Siyeon had started pouting, it seemed like Minji had won this little game.

“Aww, I know you rather stay at home where it’s safe, and I find that adorable. It makes me want to protect you all the time.”

As Siyeon was about retort, she suddenly felt Minji’s lips on hers. She didn’t waste time, and quickly returned the kiss. A sweet kiss full of love. Soon they broke apart, staring at each other lovingly.

“How we head back so we can lay and cuddle. It was a tiring day after all.”

“Yeah.” It seemed like Siyeon more on her mind, but Minji wasn’t going to force it out yet, Siyeon had just faced her mother after years not seeing each other and having all her childhood memories resurface.

They both stood up from the bench, gathering their stuff to head to the hotel.

“Hey Minji?” Minji hummed in acknowledgement, telling Siyeon to continue.

Siyeon looked a little nervous, hopefully she wouldn’t break down. It just wasn’t healthy. “Do you think my mother will try to look for me again.”

“Siyeon, I don’t’ think she’ll come looking for you since we probably embarrassed her at your father’s service.” Minji gave her wife a reassuring smile. “Plus, if she comes back, she’ll have to deal with me and the others. We will always be here for you and you should know that.”

“Yeah, you’re right, and thanks for always being here for me. I love you Minji, you’re the best thing that ever happened to me”

“I love you too Singnie, I’ll always be here, don’t you forget that.”