A Shooting Star

Starlight, Starbright

IU - Someday [Dream High OST]

A series of knocks echoed through your room. Realizing what time it was, you groaned. "You've got the wrong room!" you insisted desperately.

The door opened, revealing none other than your nurse. "Really, HaeMi? Really?" he smirked at you. "That's got to be the worst excuse yet."

He set a tray on your bed. "It's dinner time!" he announced cheerfully. You glared at him. "Oh," he looked down. Putting on a sad expression, he mumbled glumly, "I mean, it's dinner time."

"Was that better?" he asked, grinning again.

You pretended to think for a minute. "It would be much better if you take this away," you suggested, edging the tray closer to him.

"Nice try, kiddo," he messed up your hair. "But you've got to eat."

"But, Nurse Baek!" you complained. "Look at this!" You gestured to your tray. A number of different pills was set on your tray beside the plate filled with bland hospital food. "Are you punishing me?"

The man rolled his eyes and headed for the door. "You better be done when I come back or else," he sang brightly as he left your room.

Sighing, you poked the unseasoned mashed potatoes with a fork. "I don't want to," you protested under your breath, but you took a bite anyway, knowing that you had to.

To take your mind off of the tasteless food, you rested your head on the palm of your hand and counted the medication on the tray. "1.. 2.. 3.. 4.. 5.." You began flicking them off your tray one by one. "5.. 4.. 3.. 2.. 1.. 0."

You watched them slide onto the floor. "Bye bye~" you laughed to yourself.

Your laughter echoed slightly in the room before it faded away. You sighed again and turned to your window.

Heavy blinds blocked the scenery outside, giving off a prison-like atmosphere. Wanting to see the night sky, you took hold of the rope connected to the pulley and gave it a tug.

It barely moved. Persistently, you tugged at the rope again, but with no results.

Nurse Baek peered through the small square of translucent glass on your door and smiled dryly. He knew that you weren't supposed to open the blinds because too much exposure to the sun was bad for you.

He walked in and took the rope from you. "HaeMi," he began seriously.

"Please?" you interrupted him. "The sun's not out right now," you pointed out before he could say no.

He noticed your full tray. "If I open the blinds for a bit, will you eat?" he bargained.

You nodded obediently. With a sigh, he pulled the rope and the blinds switched angles, letting you see the view.

"It's pretty." You rested a few fingers on the window. "Look at the stars, Nurse Baek," you told him, pointing at them. "Aren't they beautiful?"

Following your direction, he stared up at the sky. "I don't know," he admitted. "I've never really noticed before."

Without warning, a sudden streak of white flashed across the heavens.

"What was that?" you whispered.

He laughed softly. "A shooting star. Close your eyes now."

Obediently, you shut your eyes. "Now what do I do?" you prodded.

"Make a wish."

You gasped softly, opening your eyes. "I can do that?"

"Hurry up," he chuckled.

Closing your eyes tightly, you balled your hands into fists. Please.. give me strength. I want to get out of here permanently. Not just for a few days or weeks. I want to live life and make it count, you thought firmly.

"Done?" Nurse Baek asked.

You opened your eyes and smiled at him. "All done," you confirmed.

With a swift tug, the blinds were closed again. "That's it for tonight," he said, exiting your room. Upon shutting the door to your room, he shook his head. "What am I doing giving her hope like that?" he muttered to himself as he went to finish his rounds. "I'm an idiot."

Alone once again, you took the tray and set it on the floor. Forgetting about the lousy potatoes, you sat back and wrapped your arms around yourself. "It feels so.. empty. Like always."