2. Entrance Ceremony

Wishing Upon the Stars

Ring.

Ring.

Ring.

 

Jihoon glanced over at his sound asleep roommate as his alarm went off for the fourth time that morning. He debated if he should wake him up or not as Hoshi’s arm hit his phone sporadically to snooze the alarm. After watching this, Jihoon decided it was best for him to let Hoshi figure things out on his own as he continued to brush his hair.

 

Today was the first day of his new school life. No. Scratch that. Today was the first official day of his new life in general. He woke up early, 20 minutes before his alarm, probably due to pure anxiety. He didn’t feel ready at all. In fact, none of this even felt real. He felt as though he’d walk out this door and this bad dream would be up. He’d be back in his mansion, the house cook making breakfast, and on his way to the first day of his senior year at his old school.

 

He stared at his hair in the mirror. It was blonde with almost a pink tint to it. His parents had forced him to dye his hair just in case someone for whatever reason knew their family. This new hair color really did make him look completely different from what he normally looked like. Slicked back black hair, and designer clothing fitting his petite frame just right. It was completely different from his image now. Almost pink hair that was way longer than he would like and a uniform that was a least one size too big and practically engulfed his body making him look way shorter than he actually was. He looked a mess and there was nothing he could do to fix it.

 

Ring.

Ring.

Ring.

 

Jihoon sighed as he slipped on his shoes. Guess he better wake him up.

 

Ring.

 

The alarm kept blaring as Hoshi buried himself further in his blankets. “Yah,” Jihoon said tapping the boy’s shoulder. No response. “Yah, wake up.” He said again, more aggressively.

 

“Don’t want,” Hoshi murmured from under his blankets.

 

Jihoon breathed sharply inwards in annoyance. “I don’t care. Wake up or you’ll miss the entrance ceremony,” Jihoon picked up Hoshi’s phone and moved the alarm closer to his hidden head. “Come on,”

 

“Nooo,” Hoshi groaned. At that moment there was a pounding knock at their door. “Door,” Hoshi murmured.

 

“Yeah, I got it,” Jihoon said annoyed. That boy is really testing my patience, he thought as he walked over to the knocking. He opened the door to see Hoshi’s friends from yesterday.

 

“Is Hosh up yet?” Seokmin asked cheerily. Jihoon slowly shook his head ‘no’ as Hoshi’s alarm started blaring again. “Ah, I see.”

 

“Don’t worry, we got this,” Seungkwan said, entering the room and rolling up his sleeves. He walked over to Hoshi’s bed and cleared his throat. “Hosh, I’m sorry that it has come to this but you leave me no choice.” He leaned close to Hoshi’s ear and then started sing-screaming, “Oh ladyyy~ this is my story~! Wake up, wake up, wa-wa-wake wake-up!” Hoshi groaned and tried to roll away but Seokmin moved fast from the doorway.

 

He jumped on Hoshi’s bed and held him in place. “You brought this on yourself!” He yelled, laughing as Seungkwan continued to get louder and louder. “Just accept it and get up!”

 

Hoshi finally sat up, shoving both boys away. “Yah! I’m awake!” He yelled as the two started laughing hysterically. He looked at Jihoon in a playful, angry manner. “Never, ever, let them in here again!”

 

“Hey, I just opened the door like you asked me to,” Jihoon sighed, going back over to his desk and beginning to pack up his bag. Seungkwan decided this was an invitation for him to also go over there. Jihoon glanced at him but didn’t say anything.

 

“Why’s your hair pink?” Seungkwan asked bluntly.

 

“Yah, Seungkwan, manners,” Hoshi said quickly from the bathroom through a mouth full of toothpaste.

 

Seungkwan scoffed in disbelief. “I wasn’t being rude, it was just a question.”

 

Jihoon sighed, he really didn’t know how to respond. “I just wanted to change it up. You know. New school, new me or something,” He lied through his teeth. He glanced at his hair in the mirror which seemed to get pinker and uglier the more times he saw it.

 

“I love that attitude!” Seungkwan exclaimed. “It’s so fresh. Unique. Such a badass move to stunt on hoes you don’t even know yet,” And from that sentence, Jihoon had completely figured out who Seungkwan was. Yes, he was sassy, but he also appreciated people being real. If only he knew why Jihoon had really dyed his hair.

 

“Yeah, it totally gives you an ‘I don’t give a what you think’ vibe. It makes you intimidating yet interesting. Like, I totally want to know your story, Woozi.” Seokmin added from Hoshi’s bed. And Seokmin is just like Seungkwan, Jihoon thought. This may be tiring.

 

“Well, I hope the intimidating thing is true. I don’t really like people,” Jihoon said, putting some pens in his backpack.

 

“Ooh, so you’re one of those?” Seungkwan asked, hopping up on Jihoon’s bed because apparently personal space with these two.

 

“What do you mean?” Jihoon asked, placing his bag on the ground by his feet and facing the boy.

 

“You’re too cool to have friends. One of those loner types,” Seungkwan said, pulling out his phone and typing away as if the conversation was already uninteresting.

 

“I guess so,” Jihoon said. This might be good for him. These two seemed to have big mouths so if they thought he was an unapproachable loner, then maybe no one else would want to get to ‘know his story’ as Seokmin said. That way he wouldn’t have to constantly put on the “Woozi” persona and could just focus on trying to get into the clique. If he could join them, then he wouldn’t have to worry about anybody else. He’d be protected by Seungcheol.

 

“He met Seungcheol yesterday!” Hoshi exclaimed, coming back into their room. “He said he was nice. Can you imagine just randomly running into the Choi Seungcheol? Ugh, jealousy.”

 

Seungkwan put down his phone, interested once again. “Tell us everything.” There went Jihoon’s chance at being uninteresting.

 

“Um, I went on a walk yesterday night and he was outside. He talked for a second, and that was it really. Nothing special,” Jihoon said, trying to sound as uninteresting as possible.

 

“Nothing special?!” Seokmin exclaimed, hands over his mouth. “This fool really said ‘nothing special’ as if Choi Seungcheol just talks to everyone.” He fell back onto Hoshi’s bed in disbelief.

 

“Woozi, listen to me,” Seungkwan said very seriously. “I have known Choi Seungcheol since elementary school. He has never, ever, spoken to me. He only talks to those he feels are worthy. He talked to you.” As Seungkwan talked, Seokmin and Hoshi nodded urgently. “Woozi, you could potentially be in the clique. I know it probably isn’t your style, but please don’t screw this up for the rest of us!” Seungkwan pleaded, his hands clasped together and shaking in the air.

 

“Skrew what up?” Jihoon asked slowly. He felt as though he didn’t even want to know at this point.

 

“Well,” Hoshi started bashfully. “It’s always been our goal to get into the clique. I mean, they are literally the school’s elite. Plus, it would be so much fun to be loved like they are and show off our talents. Girl’s from the private sister school literally flock over to see them put on their showcase and even just walk to class!” Jihoon cocked his head to the side. He was so lost. “Wait, you don’t know about the showcase?” Hoshi asked, shocked as though he forgot Jihoon just got to this school.

 

Jihoon shook his head ‘no’. Maybe the clique wasn’t something he wanted to join after all.

 

“Remember how I told you they are all really talented? Well, they aren’t shy about that at all. At the end of every semester, they perform at a big showcase. Everyone from the student body and family to talent scouts and alumni donors attend. The clique isn’t just something Seungcheol formed with his friends, it’s a high and powerful tradition this school has held onto for many years. They start scouting the clique members from elementary school so that way they’re ready by high school. Seungcheol got scouted first so he’s the leader. If you get on his good side you have a good shot of getting past the audition and into the clique itself,” Hoshi explained.

 

So the clique wasn’t just a powerful group of students. It was a mass-produced group of the best and most talented students. Eyes were probably on them 24/7. Jihoon knew he now needed to stay far away from this at all costs.

 

“Our roommate got scouted last semester! He had just transferred here and before we could even get to know him he was in.” Seokmin explained. That must be the Vernon guy Hoshi mentioned last night. “Now we barely see him since he’s constantly working on things for the showcase.”

 

"Isn't the showcase is pretty far away?” Jihoon questioned. This was all beginning to sound way too much like a mass-produced idol group than a group of high schoolers.

 

“Yeah, but they start working early. Usually, they do mini-performances throughout the semester leading up to it. It adds in a hype factor,” Hoshi explained.

 

“So,” Seunkgwan started, getting off of Woozi’s bed. “You’re our in now. They’re supposed to hold the firsts ever open audition sometime soon. If you befriend Seungcheol and he knows you’re friends with us, we have a better shot of getting in.” Ah, so not only was Seungkwan, sassy he was manipulative.

 

“I don’t really want to join the group,” Jihoon said, grabbing his bag and getting ready to walk to the opening ceremony.

 

“First of all, it’s the clique, not a group. Second of all, I’m not asking.” Seungkwan said sassily. All three of them grabbed their bags, and together we walked to the entrance ceremony.



 

The entrance ceremony was split up into classes. Seungkwan and Seokmin went and found their respected classes, while Hoshi and Jihoon sat down together towards the back of the senior class. Many people stopped to say ‘hello’ to Hoshi before giving Jihoon a glance up and down and going on their way. Maybe his stank eye was a little too unapproachable?

 

“Oh! There’s my friend!” Hoshi said excitedly. He stood up and started waving his arms in the air aggressively. Every person in the auditorium must have been staring as their conversations around started to die down. “Jisoo! Hey! Over here!” Hoshi yelled, oblivious to the awkward atmosphere he created.

 

A pretty boy with a soft smile waved back at him and happily walked over, also oblivious to everyone staring. Behind him followed two other boys who definitely didn’t look happy to have that much attention on them.

 

“Hey Hosh, how’s it going?” The boy said happily. Hoshi and he did an awkward-looking bro-hug before he turned to face Jihoon. “And you must be Hoshi’s new roommate?” He smiled again with that same warm smile.

 

Jihoon nodded, extending his hand which the boy generously shook. “I’m Woozi, nice to meet you,”

 

“Hong Jisoo, the pleasure is all mine.” Man, this boy was polite. “These are my two roommates,” He said, motioning to the two annoyed boys behind him.

 

“I’m Wonwoo,” the shorter of the two said in a quiet deep voice. His eyes looked Jihoon up and down before saying, “I dig your style.”

 

Jihoon smiled, almost offended by the comment but didn’t say anything. If he likes this style, Jihoon couldn’t even imagine what he’d think of his old designer style.

 

“I’m Junhui, but you can call me Jun!” The tall boy said enthusiastically. He then did a sharp, 90 degrees bow which really took Jihoon off-guard.

 

“Um, it’s nice to meet both of you. I’m Woozi,” He didn’t know if he should also bow or not so he decided to just do a small, half-assed one.

 

Suddenly, the lights in the auditorium flashed on and off. “Oh, it’s starting soon!” Hoshi exclaimed in excitement. Jisoo sat down next to him as Wonwoo and Jun gave a short wave ‘bye’ and walked over to the sections that Seokmin and Seungkwan were sitting in.

 

Onto the stage of the auditorium walked the principal of the school. Jihoon knew who he was due to the many threats his father made to him saying, “If you piss this guy off I will personally kill you.” The principal reached the mic as appulse filled the air. “Good morning students,” he said through a cheeky smile. “Welcome to Pleiades School for Boys! I am Han Sung-Soo, and I am very excited to start this new school year.” the appulse grew louder until Mr. Soo put his hands up to hush the crowd.

 

“Ah, another year is starting,” He said in awe. “I am so grateful to be standing here in front of all of you today. Pleiades is an elite school that only the best of the best are able to attend, so I commend you all on your hard work.” He took a moment to clap which the audience dutifully followed.

 

Jihoon glanced over at Hoshi who was hanging on his every word. Then Jihoon realized everyone was like that. This guy must be awesome, he thought as he decided to listen more intently to the speech.

 

“From our freshmen to our seniors, you are all incredible. You are all here for a reason. And you are all definitely stars. I am so proud to be your principal.” He took a breath and just smiled at the crowd, scanning over the entire audience, basking in their awe-struck faces. “This year we have so much in store to make the school year incredible. From hard curriculum to push you to your limits to more events to connect the student body to SVT holding their first open auditions,” he paused for applause. The students started to holler. There wasn’t a single person who wasn’t excited to try out for the elite group. Everyone but Jihoon was thrilled and filled with passion to make it. It was astounding.

 

“Ah, yes, yes. Very exciting,” Mr. Soo laughed. “I am so excited to see how each and every one of you grow this semester. But now, I would like to end my speech here and turn it over to our entrance ceremony performance: SVT!”

 

The students began to freak. Apparently, no one informed them that SVT was going to be performing. This was the loudest room Jihoon had ever been in and he didn’t know how to feel. He wanted to close his eyes and run back to his dorm room to escape the noise but before he could even move he saw him. Seungcheol graced the stage with confidence, unlike anything Jihoon had ever seen. He smiled a wide gummy smile and looked around at the audience as the other members took the stage.

 

“Ah, let me point each one out to you real quick!” Hoshi whisper-screamed in Jihoon’s ear making him flinch. “Okay so on the left, the guy with light brown hair and the bandana in his hair is Vernon.” Vernon graced the stage with probably as much confidence as Seungcheol did. He was smiley and waving to the crowd. A natural performer.

 

“Okay, the really fashionable one over on the left side, that’s Minghao aka The8.” Hoshi pointed. He was right. The8 was extremely fashionable, probably more so than Jihoon had ever been. He definitely would have been up his for fashion tips if this was his old school.

 

“Next the really tall and super handsome one towards the middle is Mingyu. Wonwoo, who you met earlier, is actually close friends on the down-low with him if you know what I mean.” Hoshi said, pointing towards the boy. So that must be the resident hoe, Jihoon thought to himself as he watched the handsome boy wave and wink to the crowd. He watched him look over to Wonwoo’s section but quickly look away. Drama, Jihoon thought.

 

“Then we have the baby, Chan aka Dino, who’s next to Vernon on his right,” Hoshi said pointing to a shorter kid with a wide smile. He looked so happy to be on stage as he kept jumping up and down. Jihoon couldn’t help but laugh a little at him. “He’s really a cute kid, I know,” Hoshi said smiling.

 

“Finally, we have Jeonghan. Long-haired and beautiful, next to Seungcheol,” Hoshi said dramatically pointing to the last performer. Jeonghan was leaning on Seungcheol’s shoulder, whispering something in his ear, before he pulled away leaving both of them smiling. It was like they were in their own world even though they were up on stage for everyone to see.

 

SVT waited for the crowd to calm down slightly before taking their formation. When the music started, Jeonghan’s melodic voice filled the air. They all started to dance right on the beat, super synchronized as if they were one body. Jihoon couldn’t take his eyes away from Seungcheol however as the song went on. Finally, when it was his turn to rap, Jihoon felt himself audibly gasp. He was perfect. Beyond perfect. He was marvelous. When he finished his rap he gave the crowd a cheeky smile that Jihoon felt himself take a mental snapshot of. From that moment Jihoon knew that he needed to get to know this person.

 

When the song finished, SVT stood in a line and shouted: “Thank you all! See you in class!” which left the audience laughing and cheering. Jihoon understood the hype now. They were phenomenal.

 

After SVT left the stage, the students were dismissed to go to their first class. As Jihoon stood up, Hoshi grabbed his arm. “So, what did you think?”

 

Jihoon thought for a second before saying, “I get it now. And I’ll help you guys get in.” He knew it was going to be risky but it seemed worth it.

 

He needed to have Seungcheol in his life.