-6-

The Kings Bride
The two of them at at the table, quietly picking at their food and looking at each other once in a while casually catching glances when the other was busy. Jongin was trying to think of a casual way to bring up the event they had to go to and Jinhee was trying to find a way to get away from this awkward situation as quickly as possible. Every once in a while she would glance at her phone, hoping something would pop up at work but tonight seemed to be the quietest night in the history of the hospital.
 
"So..." Jongin finally spoke up and Jinhee choked on her food from the sudden talking. He apologized for startling her and when she chugged half of her water he continued on. "How's everything at work going? You're a doctor right?"
 
"Yeah, I work with babies in the NICU...you know...pre-mature babies and stuff..." Jinhee liked talking about her work and could do it for hours but she knew that Jongin's work was equally busy and important so she didn't want to bore him with that.
 
"Do you work tomorrow?" Jongin sipped on the wine he ordered and Jinhee pulled up her schedule and saw that she worked the night shift. "Is it possible to switch with someone? My work is hosting a charity event and the investors want to meet you."
 
"Me? Why do they want to meet me?" Jinhee felt the palms of her hands grow sweaty at the idea of being forced into a stuffy room with old men that were going to judge her in every possible way.
 
"Because you're going to be marrying the future owner of the company they invest." Jongin chuckled and held out a clam. "Do you want to try this? It's incredible." He didn't know why he suddenly offered her food, that was only something he did with his family and friends and he suddenly felt shy about the action.
 
"No thank you, I'm allergic to shellfish." Jinhee responded and she looked at her phone and wondered if she should just make up an excuse to not go, but he was right. If she was going to be his wife, then she had to act the part. "I can ask people, but I can't promise anything."
 
"As long as you try, that's fine." Jongin made a mental note about the shellfish and continued eating until he heard Jinhee muttering at the other side of the table as the typed away on her phone. "Sorry?"
 
"I don't have a dress." She admitted with an embarrassed blush across her face.
 
"Does that mean you can go?"
 
"I got someone to switch with me, but I don't know how to dress for a charity event." Jinhee couldn't eat the rest of her food as the nerves took over.
 
"I can set it all up for you tomorrow. A car will pick you up, get the dress, makeup and hair. The whole package." Jongin waved the waiter over and asked for Jinhee's food to be wrapped up and to get the bill.
 
"sounds good, thank you." Jinhee and Jongin walked out of the restaurant and were heading to his car when she noticed an ice cream stall with a small line. "Let's go get some." She grabbed him by the elbow and guided him towards it.
 
"I'm not a huge fan of sweets." Jongin admitted when they were waiting in line.
 
"This place is great, I've seen it all over social media. I'll have an oreo sundae and he will have a small pistachio in a waffle cone." She ordered for the two of them and before Jongin could pay, she whipped out her cash and paid. "You bought dinner, only fair that I get dessert." For the first time in a while Jongin found himself smiling without it being forced. She handed over the ice cream and he look a hesitant before finding out that he really enjoyed it. "See, told you it was good." She giggled to herself for a job well done, and the two of them walked around the streets while they enjoyed their ice creams. They talked about themselves and their likes and dislikes. Jinhee talked about her love for manga and Jongin talked about how he used to dance as a kid and even wanted to be a ballerino.
 
"Why didn't you do that?" Jinhee finished off her sundae and Jongin took the garbage so she didn't have to carry it around.
 
"My dad didn't want me to be a dancer so he stopped paying for the lessons. I used to run off and practice in the middle of the night at the empty studios but when he found out, he signed me up for extra school lessons and I didn't have the time to practice. Plus I always had someone watching me by that point so it was easier to just give into what he wanted." Jongin could see the sad expression in Jinhee's eyes and he nudged her. "I love my job and I am super excited to be the owner one day. Although he was tough, I appreciate what my dad did for me. I just dance for fun and exercise now which makes me happy. Enough about me, did you always want to be a doctor? Isn't your dad one too?"
 
"He was, he's just on the board now. I always knew I wanted to help people, my mom originally wanted me to be a nurse and I thought about it but when I went to the hospital once to get my father I saw the NICU section and how those little babies are so pure and they needed all the help they could get..." Jinhee trailed off as she faded into her memory. She shook herself out of it as Jongin wandered over to a garbage can to get rid of their stuff. "Yeah, anyways, once I saw that I knew what I wanted to do and my father helped me every way he could think of."
 
"He sounds like a good man." Jongin led them back to the car and opened the door for her. Jinhee slipped in and the conversation continued seamlessly as they headed back to her place. They got back to her building and Jongin ran around to let her back out again. "Tonight was fun, I cant wait to see you again tomorrow." Jongin held out his hand and Jihee gave him an odd look. She slapped his hand away and gave him a quick hug.
 
"Thank you for dinner." She whispered before running into her building and jumped into the first available elevator. When the doors closed and she couldn't see him anymore she leaned again the wall and let out a heavy sigh. She hated to admit it but she had one of the best nights in a while. Hanging out with him was awkward at first but once they started talking there was no stopping them. Jongin got back into the car and headed back to his own place. He caught a glance of himself in the rear-view mirror and saw the stupid smile that was on his face. Trying to force it off didn't work so he his favourite music and danced by himself in the car. This was something he hadn't done in a while and felt childish doing it but he didn't care. He had a lot of fun with Jinhee and even if they didn't work out as a couple he felt like he found a life long friend in her.