-1-

The Kings Bride
"! I'm going to be so late!" A young woman was sitting in the passanger seat of a car that was weaving in and out of traffic. She was trying to finish applying her makeup in the tiny window while the man driving was screaming at other cars to move.
 
"Don't worry, I'll get you there with tons of time left." The man said before another curse word slipped through his lips.
 
"Chanyeol, watch out!" She screamed and the man slammed on the breaks before hitting the back of a car sitting at a read light.
 
"Sorry Jinhee, did I mess up your eye liner?" He looked over, worried that his friend would be mad as she shoved her makeup bag back into her purse.
 
"No it's fine. I'll just walk the rest of the way, thanks for driving me." Jinhee grabbed the door handle and was halfway out the door when Chanyeol called out for her again.
 
"We still going for our dinner date tomorrow?" He asked with a big grin on his face.
 
"It's not a date Yeollie, just dinner. I'll text you later okay?" Jinhee closed the door and walked as fast as she could down the street to a fancy resturant where her father was waiting to have lunch with her. Her father traveled a lot for his work as a surgeon so actually being able to sit down and talk with him was a treat. She reached the restirant a few minutes later and she was brought to the private room in the back. The door slid open and sitting as a large table was her father in his nicest suit with his round glasses sitting on his face. Since she was a child, Jinhee had said her father looked like Santa Claus and even after all these years he looked as just as jolly. His health has been failing him lately but to Jinhee's knowledge, it was nothing too serious. Jinhee looked at the head of the table and saw a gruff looking man in a suit that looked so expensive it could probably pay for her apartments rent for the year. She straightened out her dress and made her way into the room, making sure to greet both men formally.
 
"This must be your daughter." The gruff man said as Jinhee sat beside her father.
 
"Yes, this is my lovely Jinhee. She's a neonatologist." He boasted proudly and the other man nodded his head before looking to Jinhee for confirmation.
 
"Yes sir, I treat sick or premature newborns." Jinhee quietly thanks the waitress who filled her water cup and thought about elbowing her father under the table for not telling her that she was going to be meeting one of his friends.
 
"That's a very noble profession." The man said and Jinhee thanked him for thinking so.
 
"She even traveled for Africa for a year to help out down there. She's very dedicated." Her father's laughter filled the room and Jinhee felt a nervous knot growing in the pit of her stomach. It happened every time her family bragged about her work to other people, as if it made her better than other people. The gruff mans phone began ringing and he excused himself and left the room. As soon as the door closed Jinhee nudged her father and glared at him.
 
"Why didn't you tell me I was meeting your friend, I would have worn something different." Jinhee looked at her plain black dress and felt wildly out of place in the lavish room surrounding her. It was the most expensive thing she had owned and now she felt like it was a piece of scrap fabric.
 
"He's an old friend of mine, we went to university in America together. He wanted to catch up and see how I was doing in life and there was no way I wasn't going to show off my beautiful and talented daughter. Now act on your best behaviour, he's the founder of one of the biggest tech companies in the world." Her father chugged his water as he began to get red in the neck.
 
"Which company?"
 
"You know the one on the side of all of the hospital equipment? Yeah, that one." Jinhee choked on her water right before the man walked back into the room, now followed in by a handsome young man in a tailored black suit with his hair perfectly styled. He had tanned skin and sharp eyes as he looked to Jinhee who was trying to cough out the water she had taken into her lungs. "I'm sorry, she is a little clumsy." Her father apologized as he pat her on the back, a little harder than was necessary.
 
"I would like to introduce you to my son, Jongin. He's currently working under me at the company." Jinhee and her father stood and greeted Jonin before all four of them sat down. The two older man talked for another ten minutes as the staff members brought in the set menu food and laid around twenty dishes down in front of them. Jinhee would casually take glances at Jongin and couldn't deny how handsome he was but he didn't seem interested in her at all which was a little hurtful but a man like that must be used to being surrounded by models, not doctors. Once the food was all brought out and the staff was all gone the two men stopped talking and nodded to each other.
 
"The reason we brought both of you here today..." Jinhee's father started out and the two children looked at them and he nervously looked to his friend.
 
"We would like the two of you to be married." Jongin's father said and the room grew heavy with tension. "Before the end of the year." Jinhee and Jonin looked at both men and then to each other, realizing what was happening around them. They were being set into an arranged marriage. Both stood up, glaring at their fathers.
 
"WHAT?! NO WAY!"
 
"I can't marry this man, I don't even know him!" Jinhee cried out and pointed at Jongin who rolled his eyes.
 
"I agree, could you imagine what people would say if I married such a plain woman like her?"
 
"Plain?" Jinhee snapped at him and he scoffed.
 
"Would you have rather I say ugly?"
 
"UGLY?!" Jinhee screamed and her father begged for her to be quiet. "You're nothing special either! You wear fancy clothes so women don't have to look at your gross face."
 
"So childish." Jongin muttered.
 
"You started it." Jinhee shot back and the two of them kept taking jabs at each other. The two older men began eating and looked to each other, a little worried that maybe they had made the wrong choice but they were both too stubborn to correct themselves.
 
"I plan to marry for love." Jinhee looked to her father, begging him to call off the marriage.
 
"Who could ever love a childish woman like you?" Jongin spat out and Jinhee thought about reaching across the table and slapping him. Finally, Jongin's father slammed his palm on the table and the room was silent once again.
 
"You two will be married. You will join our families and bring honour to both of us. That's final. So you better get used to each other." He ordered them to sit down and eat. Jinhee and Jongin sat down in their chairs, both sure that their lives were officially over.