Birthday

Laughter Is The Best Medicine

NOTE: Just in time for Solji's birthday :) Enjoy!


LE frowned as she peered into the room. For the past few months, she had constantly visited Solji with the purpose of making her laugh. It seemed like her efforts were not in vain, for Solji had been well enough to surprise them at their 2017 Asia Tour, and even join them in the recording of their Full Moon album. However, her condition suddenly took a turn for the worse and she was unable to join them for promotions, being readmitted into the hospital instead. LE knew she was unhappy. She could tell from her texts and even in the birthday card that came with Solji’s gift to her. And her thoughts were confirmed when she had stopped by to visit Solji in time for her birthday, only to see Solji staring out of the window again.

“Unnie.” Solji looked to her as she entered with a knock, and gave her a sad smile.

“Hyojin.” She greeted simply. LE sat down next to her, and Solji just sighed, not hiding her sadness away. “It’s pathetic, don’t you think?” LE remained silent, listening as Solji continued. “I tried to rush my recovery and ended up making my condition worse. And now, thanks to that, it’s my birthday, and I’m stuck here in the hospital.” She muttered bitterly. LE just reached out and lightly grasped Solji’s hand, offering her silent comfort. Solji returned the grip with a small smile. “Thanks, Hyojin. Somehow, you always make me feel better.” LE smiled at that.

“It’s my specialty.” Solji chuckled, and LE knew that meant Solji had cheered up, even a little. “Ok! I’ve decided!” Solji looked curiously to her at her exclamation. “Today, I’m going to juggle for you!” Solji let out a laugh at that.

“You’re going to juggle? Really?” She asked incredulously, a smile growing on her face. “Do you even know how to juggle?” LE just grinned as she reached into her bag.

“I can try anyway! It can’t be that hard, right? Look, I even came prepared!” She said as she pulled out a red clown nose and put it on, the mere sight making Solji laugh. “Do I look funny?” She asked as Solji nodded, only to laugh even more when LE made a funny face, the red nose making her look funnier.

“You do!” Solji laughed, clapping her hands. LE chuckled as well, infected by Solji’s laughter virus, as she reached into her bag and pulled out 3 juggling pins.

“Jugglers usually juggle with these, right? Alright, let me try.” And so, the laughter parade began as Solji watched LE try and fail hilariously at juggling. She didn’t know if LE was pretending or if she really couldn’t juggle, but either way, she couldn’t stop her laughter. It was as if LE’s hands forgot how to cooperate with each other, and she ended up fumbling around. “Argh, I give up!” She pouted adorably as she picked up all the pins she dropped again.

“Ah~ that was so funny.” Solji took a few deep breaths to calm herself down, but LE had other plans as she tossed the pins back into her bag, only to pull out 3 balls.

“Ta-da! Maybe I can do better with balls instead!” And Solji found herself clutching her sides in tears as LE repeated the same process again, only the pins were replaced with balls. LE gave a small frown as she picked up the balls from the floor. “Ok, maybe balls weren’t a good idea after all.”

“I-It really wasn’t!” Solji managed out between laughter and gasps for air. LE just shrugged.

“Oh well.” And then she put the balls back and pulled out bean bags. “Let’s try with bean bags then!”

“There’s more?!” Solji shrieked with laughter as LE continued to try and fail at juggling. “Stop, wait, Hyojin!” She held out her hand, hoping for a chance to catch her breath. However, LE wasn’t about to give her a break.

“Ok, if pins won’t work, and balls won’t work, and bean bags won’t work either, how about if I use all three then?” She suggested, as though it was a fantastic idea, as she pulled out one of each, and tried again to juggle them. Unsurprisingly, this attempt went as well as the previous three did.

“Stop, stop! Hyojin, stop! Please!” Solji wheezed, as LE finally stopped, putting the items back into her bag. She watched with a proud grin as Solji wiped her tears, her laughter finally slowing. “Ah~ my stomach hurts…” She let out another laugh as the memory of LE’s juggling attempts replayed itself in her mind. “Ah~ I’m seriously going to go crazy.” She tried to shoot a fake glare to LE, only to go straight back into loud laughter when she saw LE still donning the red nose. "Stop~~~!" She whined in complaint for her aching stomach. LE just smirked as she finally put the red nose away, holding out a wrapped gift.

"Happy Birthday, Solji unnie."