Chapter 15

Shot Another

Chapter 15:

Irene bit her lip. She couldn’t help but look over at her phone every chance she had in between applicants and regulars. Seulgi had enough reason to be worried but Seungwan has been on a good streak of healthy behavior. She was tempted to ask Seulgi for a picture of the cut just to make sure but she let that thought go. If the cut was concerning, Seulgi would have already attached a photo to the message. Instead, Irene accepted the incidence as an accident and decided to let it go. It should be just a flash in the pan but she was determined to check in on the two anyway.

It would be a nice idea to get Sooyoung exposed to a college campus environment too. That’s not to leave out Yerim on that too especially since she was now a senior. Best case scenario for the two youngest’s college plans is that they join Seungwan and Seulgi at the same college but those last two were on the independent side but that’s not to say that Seungwan and Seulgi were wholly dependent. That wasn’t the case but Irene highly doubted that Sooyoung and Yerim would want to be limited to that one campus. They had a bit more breathing room thanks to their families’ support.

Joohyun gathered her case files that needed signing from her supervisor so she could send it down to claims. There was some concerning heating problems at one woman’s studio that needed immediate addressing.

Later, as she shouldered her bag her phone let out a cheery chirp. Irene immediately recognized the number and for that reason, she was hesitant to open the message. But her needed assurance and need-to-know personality had her opening the message as she got onto the elevator as its sole occupant.

‘How are you?’ Minho.

‘Fine.’

‘Did you eat?’

‘No.’’

Irene debated internally if she should write another response but she was already in the basement. Tentatively, she pocketed her phone and stepped off the elevator. She needed to be at attention right now. Even though she honestly didn’t think Joy’s incident wasn’t dire or held much to be suspicious about, it was better that Joohyun still be on the lookout.

And so, Joohyun kept on alert all the way to her parked vehicle. She listened for the distant squealing tires and the screeching brakes on other levels of the public parking garage. She kept her eyes trained on the remaining distance between her and the car when she heard it. The footsteps outside of her own. Joohyun adjusted the straps of her bag much more securely. She didn’t turn around because that would be a weakness. Instead, she charged on as she estimated how far the stranger was but she detected the person wasn’t right behind her.

  1. the footsteps stopped, Joohyun kept walking as the sound of a car door opening reached her ears. She didn’t fumble with her car keys as she manually opened it with a steady hand.

As she swung the door open she kept her face passive. She gave that stranger the view of her back at the appropriate angle before she got settled in her seat and pulled the door closed. With her seatbelt strapped, Irene knew the situation wasn’t over when she caught the driver staring over at her before the person’s head ducked down to look at a phone or whatever.

When the engine was running, Irene pulled away and the other car followed her out to the basement parking’s exit. As she waited at the toll booth, Irene sent a quick message to Joy to be waiting for her.

She pulled into traffic as normal as could be and luckily, she got lost into it as she was used to in order to get to the far side of the road so she could make the turn off.

As soon as she pulled into her apartment’s parking spot, Irene caught sight of Yeri anxiously waiting at the elevator entrance. At that sight, Irene felt sad but still kept her strong disposition as she exited the car. Yeri, trained as she was, didn’t falter at her position and Irene walked right past her and got into the elevator without her.

It was ten excruciating minutes when Yerim came in. “Perimeter is secure.”

Another five unbearable minutes before Sooyoung came in from the third bedroom. “Nothing on CCTV.”

Joohyun nodded as she took a calming breath in as the two young girls joined her at the table.

“Who was it?” Joy asked. It was the more direct way of asking ‘who could it be?’

Irene thought back to the past few days. “Maybe a barista or someone in the same office building.”

Joy nodded. “Nothing from you?” she asked Yeri and the younger girl shook her head.

“None that fit the vehicle’s description.”

Irene didn’t like this. She really didn’t like this.

Just then her phone did its messaging chirp again and it instantly drew all three girls’ attention. Joy swiped up for her in her impatience and the three leaned over the table so they could make out the message.

‘Good night.’

None of them lost their rigid postures until Irene sighed and slumped in her seat. Yeri and Joy both shared a look and Irene thought it best to explain her reaction. “It’s Minho.”

Taking their cues from the oldest, the two youngest settled into their seats more comfortably.

And just like that, things were at ease.

“He’s still pining?” Joy asked cheekily. She was usually the first to get back to normal.

“Aww, if only I could do what you do,” Yeri added a bit wistfully but was still eyeing the phone.

Irene shot them warning glances as she replied back to Minho with an identical message.