Chapters 13 & 14

Shot Another

Chapter 13:

“Did you think that,” Wendy delicately cleared but didn’t continue whatever she was about to say.

Seulgi sat up a little straighter in her seat. “That what?” She waved her hand forward for her friend to continue. Whatever Wendy said could probably assist in dissipating the tension surrounding their table.

Encouraged by Seulgi’s eagerness, Wendy continued. “Did you maybe think that the guy was only staring at you because you’re pretty?”

There was more than one gaping mouth except Irene who nodded with certainty. “Most likely that may be the case.”

Seulgi was quick to recover like always. “That is a highly probable possibility.”

Joy frowned, “Are you making fun of me?”

All four girls turned to her. Seungwan and Seulgi were quick to share an amused smile with each other while a similar interaction was done between Yerim and Joohyun. Such visual interface did not assuage Joy’s mild accusation as she frowned a bit more severely before a drastic change occurred but she let it go because these four girls wouldn’t hurt her with any mean intent. Her feelings did a total one-eighty.

“Hey! Why didn’t you suggest that?” Joy accused the younger girl who only rolled her eyes. “We could have stayed at the park longer.”

“Not like you’re that good looking.”

Seulgi and Wendy shook their heads in dismay while Irene sighed but the three older ones still shared another smile

Chapter 14:

Wendy and Seulgi weren’t much of the touchy feely types. They left that to Joy. But even so, as they walked back to their dorm from the bus stop, they grasped each other’s hands like a life line while a similar thing was happening at the apartment they left thirty minutes ago. Yeri sat in the middle of the couch with both Joy and Irene on either side of her as an old movie favorite of theirs ran its course on Irene’s modest television set.

As similar as they could be, different thoughts circulated through each of their minds and it is through their shared link within the five girls that there was no hiding the shared animosity to whoever so threatened their lives and their hard-earned peace. Even as the three girls stayed at Joohyun’s apartment and the duo at their dorm, the presence of each other was a constant that would never change unlike the many variables of life.

 

Wendy ran her finger down the length of the neck of the guitar along the string before it snapped. With a gasp, she dropped the musical instrument onto her lap without much thought. The blood was already pooling to the tip of her finger and Wendy placed the digit in . She moved the instrument to the side so it wouldn’t be in her way as she got up from the bed and walked out of her room. Seulgi had been about to place something in the microwave crammed into the corner of their small kitchenette as Wendy walked behind her to dig through a drawer to the side.

“Hm?” Seulgi looked at Wendy as she dug through the contents of the drawer with her non-dominant hand. “What’s wrong Seungwan?”

“Cut my finger.”

Wendy straightened up with a satisfied air as she pulled the small first aid kit from within the confines. But what she did not expect was the heavy silence from her friend. A little unnerved now, Wendy looked to see her friend’s sudden sharp stare. “What?”

“You cut your finger?”

Wendy immediately frowned at the authoritive tone in her voice. “Not like that.”

“Let me see.”

Seungwan groaned, “Are you serious? It’s. Not. Like. That.”

Seulgi held her hand out expectantly and even a little condescendingly much to Seungwan’s annoyance and irritation. “Seungwan.”

“Fine.” She dropped the first aid kit and showed the other girl her finger. “See that? A clean cut from my now broken guitar string. What? Do you need to run diagnostics on that too?” she asked with the weight of the situation and its perceptions heavy in the air.

A beat of silence as Seulgi examined the angle of the cut and was beyond tempted to check the guitar but decided to let it rest. Seulgi blinked and the look in her eyes immediately melted. She dropped her eyes, “I’m sorry.”

It took a deep breath from Wendy for the tension to give and she nodded. “I’m sorry too.” She knelt to pick up the hastily dropped first aid kit. “I understand your concern.”

Seulgi nodded too as she wordlessly helped her friend sanitize and bandage the small cut. Once the band aid was securely wrapped, she said, “I’ll tell Joohyun what happened.”

“Fine.” Wendy allowed as she snapped the kit up while a little bit more careful with the band aid in its place. She quickly made her way back to her room and shut the door gentle as can be while Seulgi watched her go feeling more than protective.

The next day, Seulg sat in the canteen once more for lunch. Usually Seungwan would be sitting opposite her but after last night’s incident, Seulgi sat alone. And because of last night, Seulgi wasn’t feeling too hungry as the look of hurt in her roommate’s eyes prevailed at Seulgi’s mild accusation.

It’s not that she wanted to keep watch over her like that. It was just something that’s designated to her as Seungwan’s best friend. She had to watch over her and protect her even if it’s from herself. Seulgi absently tapped her chopstick against the tray as she thought about what would work better to bring up Wendy’s spirits.

A short distance away, the person staring at her had chanced moving a table closer to her. He was taking shot at it but his object of attentions was completely oblivious both to his advantage and disadvantage. He fought back his own smile when he luckily caught her eyes lighting up but that smile of his disappeared as she started hastily collecting her things to leave. He could only helplessly watch as she made her departure without any glance to her surroundings much less at his table.