Chapters 17 & 18

Shot Another

Chapter 17:

Joy found her way back to the park. She knew she shouldn’t be here again so soon after what happened last time but she just wanted out of the apartment for a little while. She needed to clear her head and she would use mapping the layout of the park’s CCTV posts as an excuse should Yerim tattle on her.

As she crossed through the park’s entrance, she kept her ears perked and her eyes trained on her surroundings. It was during peaceful times that she let such instincts rest since nothing required her heightened awareness these days. But it was better that she not be careless even if it seemed like a false alarm.

It wasn’t until her first sighting of a very familiar dog that she dropped her defenses the tiniest bit. She was close to the playground when she spotted the same dog she encountered that first day in the same pen she left it in. Without much thought and with caution thrown into the wind, Joy made a beeline for the dog. She couldn’t hide her excitement to see the dog and in her elation, she didn’t’ know she was being watched. Again.

“Aww, hello again pretty doggie.” The dog’s tail was wagging up a storm at her attention as she appraised it on the opposite side of the gate. She knew better than to pick up someone else’s dog now that she knew that its owner had found it. Just as she was about to look around for the owner for permission to pet it, she finally spread out her senses and realized her predicament. She didn’t show it that she knew she was being watched as she idly looked around as if looking for the owner. When she felt that she gave the image off enough, she knelt down by the oblivious animal as it tried to jump out of its confinements just to get to her. Sooyoung felt her heart melt but stopped her emotions to take her situation in.

Feeling it was time to go, she assessed her surroundings once more and found an out.

She gasped as another dog joined the fray. It was so cute and big! The only thing that blinded her happiness at this canine’s attention was the dog on the other side of the fence was now barking at the intruder. Joy didn’t think it was good to agitate the much smaller dog any further and so stood up.

As she walked off with the other bigger dog at her heels, she didn’t feel the attention of burning eyes. She was feeling better until the dog took off as soon as it heard its owner whistling for it. Joy watched it go with the usual feeling of a dismissal.

She continued walking as she took in the CCTV camera’s positions and the angle they were shooting as well as their brands. Most of it was up-to-date as far as public surveillance cameras were but nothing that she was not already exposed to. Idly walking around with her hands in her pockets gave the illusion that her walking path was aimless but she was well versed in the usual layouts of public surveillance and so each step she took was with a purpose.

It’s not until she has the whole grid planned in her mind does she consider going back to the apartment. As she decides that’s the next best course of action as Yerim really shouldn’t be left on her own for long periods of time, Joy turns around sharply. Just in time to catch the eye of one guy.

Recognition is a two way street between the two individuals.

“Hey Sooyoung!” Baekhyun waves at her.

Chapter 18:

Seulgi laughed as Wendy fumbled in her steps down the stairs. “Ms. Kang?” Wendy asked in near perfect English. “What are you laughing at?” she asked next as she spared her roommate the barest glare as she shuffled her slipping books in a better position in her arms.

“Nothing,” Seulgi was now doing her best to contain her laughter. A person going up the steps stumbled and he seemed almost transfixed at the sight of her mirth.

“Hmph,” Wendy turned her nose up at the situation. “I thought you would at least reply back in English but I guess it hasn’t improved at all since high school.” She kept up the English act.

Seulgi pouted as they continued their trek down the steps. Behind them, the same guy continued to watch after them.

For the rest of their short journey to the cafeteria Seulgi’s disposition was on a downward track as Seungwan kept up the English much to her dismay. “And what did you think of the professor’s lecture, Ms. Kang? Wasn’t it very informative? What are your thoughts on the currency between two adaptors when in ultra-heat temperatures?”

“Fine, fine, fine!” Seulgi raised her voice enough to get her seated admirer’s attention when he recognized her voice. “I’m sorry for laughing at you!”

Wendy eyed her before using her free arm to pull Seulgi into a side hug. “It’s fine. But now you know how petty I can be.”

Seulgi let out a sigh, “Yes” she then lowered her voice, “How can I forget?”

Wendy dropped her arm. “I heard that.”

They got into line but as soon as they sat down at their usual table, they were talking normally. “So what did you think about the currency between two adaptors in ultra-heat temperatures?” Wendy asked in Korean.

Seulgi slowly nodded. “It’s fine. Something to consider when the weather gets hotter.”

“Yes that was what I was thinking. Nothing like applying what we learn in class when we look through our stuff set up at lower elevations and on the islands.”

Seulgi rotated her chopsticks as she sat there idly not yet eating. “We can consider the temperature towards the end of spring and then we’ll see what Joohyun thinks about changing locations for operations.”

The two were in the middle of the cafeteria with the atmosphere filled with chatter about everyday things. It is this conversation between the two girls that stood out but because they kept their tone conversational and with no fear of being overheard that they were easily overlooked. If anything, it was only one admirer that kept tabs on them but from a distance that was out of hearing range.