december (i)

every second with you

 

Bomi never really has one shocking moment of realization that she is indeed, in love with Naeun. It comes in at small, tiny fragments along their time together.

 

The thing is, Bomi loves Naeun—who wouldn’t? She’s pretty, has a good personality, a cute toothy smile, adorable and—girls who read books are kind of hot.

 

But there is this little sense of fear lurking in her chest that she doesn’t want it to turn into something else. Maybe it’s because of her powerful family background—maybe because Naeun is just too good for her.

 

It’s in the beginning of freshman year that Bomi falls into Naeun’s charms; how she has this exact routine of reading books in the morning, always choosing a plain Americano without any add-ons, is obsessed with Adidas brands and makes sure to never skip a class—something Bomi could never do.

 

During summer, Bomi goes in awe when she sees Naeun in a swimsuit. She can’t stop thinking about how her proportions just fit so perfectly into anything she wears. Bomi also realizes that Naeun is a great swimmer—the girl thinks she’s the god of the ocean. Seeing her become one with the sea, Bomi was sure Naeun could levitate water at some point.

 

When Christmas comes, Bomi’s heart melts when Naeun prepares a gift for everyone in the house. She even receives a heartfelt letter, poured with all of her emotions and feelings. In that letter, Naeun thanks Bomi for always being her beacon of happiness, like a bright sun who is always there to light her path. Every now and then, Bomi reads the letter sometimes whenever she’s feeling down.

 

At one of those usual parties Eunji hosted, Naeun was there for Bomi when she was totally drunk. She was there when she lost an embarrassing game of beer pong and camped at the toilet for hours. Even when she was stinky and reeking of vomit, Naeun was there for her, no matter what.

 

Eventually, it happened somewhere along the way that knocked some sense into Bomi who took so long to finally figure out her feelings with Naeun.

 

It was when everyone was gathered for movie night and Eunji randomly cracks a joke, making Naeun laugh loudly. At this point, Bomi thinks to herself—Damn, I love her with my whole heart.

 

It was a random, sudden thought. But it was real and sincere.

 

So, of course, when Naeun suddenly decided to end things with her, Bomi was not upset. Not at the very least mad. Just, sad.

 

She’s just happy to spend such intimate moments with Naeun. To be able to keep such good memories forever in her heart, is already good enough.

 

Bomi is happy that Naeun is dating Taemin. He seems like a nice guy, and not those typical jerks. As long as she finds her happiness in someone better, that is good. After all, if anything happens, Bomi will be there for her.

 

After all, they are friends.

 

Best friends. 

 

 

 

xxx

 

 

 

Winter has arrived at the house. But there is no snow. Not yet. But December is Hayoung’s favourite season and she is motivated to spice things up.

 

When she went Christmas shopping with Chungha, Hayoung spammed the group chat with tons of pictures, asking for opinions for trees, decorations and presents.

 

After spending four months together, the housemates have learned that the baby of the house is very persistent and will annoy the out of you until you reply.

 

“You, what?” Chorong almost chokes on her coffee as Eunji’s just staring stunned at Hayoung.

 

“A party! Let’s hold a party!”

 

“Oh, I’m not sure about that…” Bomi hums as she exchanges a glance at Eunji, and then to Chorong.

 

If anything, the oldest in the house makes the decisions. Even though there were many instances where that rule was ignored.

 

“How many people are you planning to invite?” Namjoo asks, somewhat interested but then she remembers that her roommate is probably going to bring her girlfriend along, and suddenly she’s sullen about it.

 

“Well, if you make it an alcohol-free party, I think your sister might allow…” Naeun murmurs, her eyes focused on the book.

 

“C’mon sis, I know you put a party ban on Eunji-“

 

“Hey!” The accused calls out playfully.

 

“But there’s no ban limit on me!” Hayoung puts her hands forward to her chest, trying her best to convince Chorong on the party.

 

The older sister sighs, “It was really nice and quiet without any parties for the past months.” She chews her words and gives a smile at Hayoung. “But I guess, I do miss the noise sometimes. Let’s hold a Christmas party.”

 

“Alright!!!!” Hayoung cheers as she pumps her fist in the air. Eunji is surprised while Bomi joins in the excitement.

 

“What about the date we promised?” Eunji whispers to which Chorong replies back, “I don’t need to babysit her when she’s holding a party. She’s old enough.”

 

Eunji coos at her roommate, “Oh, is that so? Big sister decides to let go of the baby bird huh? How sweet.” Chorong smacks her shoulder and rolls her eyes.

 

For the housemates, holding a party is nothing. But to Hayoung, it is a new kind of freedom.

 

She spends nights excitedly planning an itinerary, she does video calls with Chungha almost every day, she writes a list of things to buy and do, she starts to think about the people she wants to invite.

 

As much as Hayoung wanted all of her housemates to attend the Christmas party, she has learned that sometimes, it is impossible to have all of your plans to go your way.

 

Naeun tells her that she will be spending Christmas with Taemin. Chorong informs her that she and Eunji already have plans for Christmas. This leaves Bomi and Namjoo who are somewhat available.

 

“Twenty-three people? Honestly, that’s not a lot. We’ve have had bigger numbers at the house. But that doesn’t mean I’m encouraging you to invite more.” Namjoo suggests after hearing her roommate’s concern on holding her first ever party.

 

“I don’t really have that many friends anyway…” Hayoung mumbles softly as she’s scrolling through the Facebook invites of people who clicked “attending”.

 

“As long as they aren’t total strangers, it’s fine really. Sometimes, you just need to have a few, good ones close to your heart.”

 

“Wow, you’re sounding a lot like Chorong.”

 

“Shut up. I’m only a year older than you.” Namjoo scoffs as she lies down on the bed, stretching her legs up on the wall. “Anyways, I’m guessing your girlfriend is coming right?”

 

“Nope, she isn’t.”

 

“What? Why?” Namjoo suddenly leans upwards.

 

Hayoung shrugs. “I mean, that’s what you get for dating a really popular girl. She’s already booked for Christmas. But that’s okay. I understand her situation.”

 

Namjoo looks at her worriedly, hoping that her heart hasn’t torn to pieces yet. Although this may seem nothing, but for the baby of the house, this can be a very big thing. “Hey, sometimes, it’s not necessary to be with your girlfriend 24-7. Sometimes, its good to give each other space.”

 

“Yeah, I know. It’s just, Christmas is really special to me…” Hayoung says, “Chungha is just there to accompany me throughout my planning process. She feels sorry about it and it’s the most she can do. Real sweet of her, really.”

 

Namjoo knows Hayoung is doing her best to mask her disappointment. But anyone who has gone through a relationship can see through that wall. So, she gets up from her bed and hugs her roommate from behind.

 

“Don’t worry. I’ll be here for you. On Christmas.”

 

“Thanks. You’re the best roommate.”

 

Namjoo scrunches her nose and grins, wrapping her arm around Hayoung’s shoulder. “Of course, I am!”

 

 

xxx

 

 

Aside from Chorong, Eunji’s next closest person is Bomi. To her, there are no romantic feelings involved. But they are probably the perfect example of best friends forever.

 

They are the same age and even share the same month. Their personalities, likes and interests are somewhat similar and the two have bonded often over many things—especially sports. When it comes to secrets, there’s nothing hidden between them. Eunji and Bomi see each other clearly like thin paper, their emotions are easy to read and either one knows when they are having a hard time.

 

That’s why Eunji can’t stand seeing Bomi like this anymore.

 

It was obvious in the beginning when Bomi started having with Naeun—the very clear-to-the-eye hickeys and strange sounds coming from their room.

 

And it was a lot more obvious when they suddenly stopped doing it.

 

Now, Eunji knows that she shouldn’t be meddling into the businesses of others, especially complicated relationships like that of Bomi and Naeun. But it frustrates her so much at just, how dumb her friend is. She has been sitting and watching this play for four years straight now. And nothing. Nothing was done.

 

Eunji has come to the conclusion that Bomi won’t change unless someone tells her straight in the face.

 

And that someone, has to be her.

 

It happens on a chilly morning when Eunji invites Bomi to the gym. The latter agrees, having no idea what she’s getting herself into. When they arrive, Eunji insists that they head to the boxing ring and begin their exercise there. And being the dumb Bomi she was, she simply agrees without questioning anything.

 

The conversation starts with Eunji asking about her classes. As usual, Bomi sleeps all the time and forgets about the lectures. She’s really just there for attendance. Then, the topic shifts to Naeun’s new boyfriend, Taemin.

 

“He seems like a nice guy. I think if those two go far enough, they will probably get married.” Eunji says as she throws a soft punch at Bomi, hitting the padding wrapped around her hand.

 

“They make a good couple.” Bomi comments, pacing her feet back and forth. “She looks happy.”

 

“But are you happy?”

 

Suddenly, there’s a shift in the atmosphere.

 

“…What?”

 

“I said, are you happy?” Eunji asks again as she throws another punch at the padding. But this time, harder. Bomi stumbles backwards, albeit surprised at her question.

 

“Y-Yes. Of course, I am. Why would you ask me that question?”

 

“God, you really can’t read the situation, can you?” Eunji sighs, throwing another punch as Bomi manages to hold on this time.

 

“What situation? You’re not making any sense? In fact, why are you suddenly talking about Naeun and her new boyfriend? Aren’t you the one jealous here?”

 

“Oh, please. I’m doing this for your sake. Open your eyes, Bomi. You shouldn’t have let her go.”

 

“Let her go?” Bomi snaps. “She can’t just start a new relationship if she’s still having with me! That’s just not right!”

 

“Oh my god, you still don’t get it!” Eunji groans as she punches hard onto Bomi. This time, the force is strong and Bomi falls down.

 

“Don’t get what?!” Bomi shouts, confused at why Eunji’s suddenly so mad at her.

 

“For sakes, Naeun loves you!”

 

Its slaps right onto Bomi’s face, that Naeun loves her. Suddenly, she’s beginning to realize. All these little, soft moments they’ve spent together.

 

Every single time Naeun stays behind for her, every single time Naeun laughs and smiles at her silly antics, every single time Naeun looks at her with the sweetest look ever. It’s starting to make sense. A lot of sense.

 

But is it?

 

To Naeun, she is my best friend. I love her. That’s why she’s my friend.

 

Bomi looks at Eunji silently, still confused, lost and conflicted.

 

“You’re really an idiot. You really have no idea that Naeun’s been having a crush on you for years! Years, I tell you!”

 

Eunji sighs with frustration and takes off her boxing gloves. She throws it towards the floor and approaches Bomi, pulling her close to her eye.

 

“You know Naeun better than I do. She’s the type to be careful, cautious and wary of the people around her. She’s never explicit with her emotions. She’s scared to hurt you but she loves you very much. She loves you so damn much that she gave up on you, knowing that you will never realize it.”

 

“…I…” Bomi blinks once, eyes now looking away.

 

“Don’t you see it now? The little things that she does for you? The sacrifices she made?”

 

Bomi lowers her head. “…It’s too late now, anyway…she has a boyfriend now and she seems happy-”

 

And Eunji slaps her. Hard. So hard that its sound is loud and clear, echoing clearly in the boxing ring.

 

The pain is numbing and Bomi stays stunned at what just happened. She looks at Eunji with shock, but she isn’t mad. No, she’s grateful that Eunji slapped her. It was what she needed to knock some sense into her skull.

 

“…Ow.”

 

“Yeah, ow. You want another one?”

 

“Uh, no.” Bomi looks away as she chuckles. “I’m a coward aren’t I?” She smiles sadly, hand rubbing against her swollen cheek.

 

“And a total idiot too.” Eunji scoffs, her face slowly loosening up in relief. She heads over to her bag and takes out a cooling pad. She tosses it to Bomi who catches it.

 

“Wow, you prepared it as if you knew you were going to slap me.”

 

Eunji smiles, “It was the last resort. Know what to do now?”

 

“Maybe.”

 

“Maybe?”

 

“I mean, yes. Yes, of course! Hey, don’t scare me like that. You know, you looked like a lion at one point.”

 

“Roar.”

 

Bomi laughs and says, “Thanks buddy.”

 

Most friends never go the extra mile. But Bomi knows Eunji’s a keeper.

 

She’ll do anything to make you realize that you’re wrong, even if it will hurt you, hard. The next time Bomi gets slapped in the face, she’ll probably see Eunji first before anyone else.

 

 

 

xxx

 

 

 

Chorong doesn’t know when it happened—this thing she has with Eunji. She denies that it was love at first sight. But she also has no idea when she started falling for her.

 

And now, she’s kissing her.

 

Right here, in their bedroom where they have shared those four years together. It just…happened. Randomly out of the blue, the sudden need to kiss her.

 

It was when Eunji returned from the gym. It was also the day where Chorong decided to sleep in.

 

She wakes up to the sound of the cupboard closing and the scent of a fresh shower. Peeking her eyes open, she sees Eunji’s bare chest—and those hard rock abs her roommate has been working on. And honestly, the sight makes her heart jump.

 

For a moment, Chorong is thankful to wake up to such a sight. And suddenly a random thought passes about waking up to this every single day.

 

“I know you’re awake and I know you’re admiring my awesome abs.”

 

Eunji says quietly as Chorong suddenly turns around, covering the blanket over her head. She hears Eunji laugh behind the covers and listen her sandals shift near the bed.

 

“Are you pretending to sleep?” Eunji giggles as she tries to tug at Chorong’s blanket but the latter is too strong. “Just admit that you like my abs. Here, I’ll give you the honour to touch it.” Her roommate grins and playfully lifts her shirt up halfway.

 

Chorong slowly peeks her head out, somewhat interested. The first thing she sees is Eunji—no, Eunji’s abs and then, her. She hates how her roommate is literally tempting her with how she’s casually sitting on her bed and gleaming those crescent moon eyes at her.

 

She frowns at Eunji but mutters a “Poke” as her index finger snuck out from the blanket to jab softly at her roommate’s abs.

 

“That’s ticklish.” Eunji giggles, a little surprised but she manages to catch hold of Chorong’s finger. It wriggles and struggles to escape her grip. “Caught ya.” She smirks, leaning forward to corner her.

 

To counter that, Chorong opens her hand and brushes it against Eunji’s bare stomach. “…Poke.” She says, this time attempting to tickle her. Eunji laughs and squirms, eventually releasing the grip.

 

“Wow, that’s cheating.” Eunji whines as Chorong’s hands finally return under the blanket. Chorong gives her an adorable “so-what” face and Eunji can’t help but to brim all over at that expression.

 

If only Chorong knew, just how much Eunji loves her. Just how much she’s willing to drop everything for her. That whenever Eunji looks at her, her eyes just melt.

 

There is a moment of silence as the roommates are caught staring at each other. Eunji’s looking down at Chorong still stubborn to stay in bed. Her head is leaning slightly downwards, fighting the urge to kiss her forehead.

 

“You should wake up. It’s almost noon.” Eunji says as she gulps her saliva down, thinking that she should probably back away. But there seems to be this magnetic force that’s keeping her close to Chorong.

 

“Yeah. I probably should.” Her roommate mutters quietly, eyes fixed on Eunji’s face. It lowers to her lips. And there is this odd, silent tension building up in those short seconds.

 

Suddenly—Chorong kisses her. She wraps her arms around Eunji’s neck and pulls her closer.

 

Hungry lips now latched onto each other, itchy hands reaching for a place, Eunji did not expect her morning to start off like this. But she loves it. And she hopes to have many more mornings like this.

 

They are making out and naturally, Eunji finds herself climbing on top. Knees caught in between the blanket, she wants to take it out so bad, so that she can feel Chorong’s body, right in her touch.

 

Chorong moans into Eunji’s mouth, feeling her tongue penetrating deeper down . Its powerful, strong, and something that makes her core heat up.

 

Suddenly, Chorong stops and pushes her away. There’s a sudden fear crawling down Eunji’s spine as she’s afraid that it happens again. Afraid that whatever that happened during summer break returns and eventually, she is going to run again.

 

But instead, Chorong is blushing hard and her eyes are looking somewhere else. “W-wait.”

 

Eunji stares at her with a confused look as Chorong removes her blanket. “Swear that you’ll keep this a secret. It’s only…for today” She gasps quietly while clutching tight onto her loose pants, she can’t hold it in anymore. She wants it now. “…that I’m letting you do this to me.”

 

There’s a sudden relief in Eunji’s heart as she’s just smiling softly at her. “Oh…wow…” She hums with a smirk, eyes trailing down to her roommate’s body. “It was only a kiss but you’re damn wet.”

 

“S-Shut up!” Chorong’s face turns redder and Eunji can’t help but to laugh. Her hands slowly move down to catch the hem of her pants.


“Cute.” She chuckles and whispers into Chorong’s ear, “Don’t worry. We’ll keep this a secret.”

 

 

xxx

 

 

It’s Christmas Eve and everyone promised to have a grand dinner, according to Hayoung’s wishes—since not all can be present on the big day itself. And as always, these girls will do anything for the youngest in the house.

 

So, Chorong decides to cook up a turkey. Eunji and Namjoo help her out with the preparations. Naeun and Bomi goes out to buy snacks and drinks. Hayoung stays to set the table and organize the perfect Christmas Spotify to play for the whole night.

 

The spacious common area at the house has become brighter and colourful with Hayoung’s hand-picked Christmas lights and decorations. There is now a small, green tree positioned at the corner with a yellow, twinkly star on top. The walls have these bulbs hanging up, that blink occasionally. Although it isn’t much but it makes Hayoung ecstatic.

 

“This is the best Christmas Eve ever!” Hayoung squeals in excitement as she’s all smiles.

 

Namjoo peeks over from the counter to see Hayoung running about. She laughs and is happy that her roommate is having the best day of her life, like an adult turned to that five-year-old kid again. There’s something about seeing Hayoung like this. It makes her heart flutter—and it’s a good kind of feeling.

 

Eunji hands over a bag of cut potatoes and whispers into Chorong’s ear, asking if Hayoung’s always like this during Christmas. The sister replies with a nod. “All year, no matter how old she is. I’m used to it. Not sick of it though, cause it’s cute everytime.”

 

Chorong scrunches her nose when she looks at Eunji and the latter is fighting the urge to poke it right now.  

 

Despite the freezing temperature outside, Bomi made sure that Naeun was warm. During their short five-minute walk to the convenience store, the girl has been giving occasional glances to her roommate. She’s been wondering how to convey her feelings.

 

Ever since she got slapped by Eunji and finally got her senses knocked in, all that’s on her head these days is figuring out the right words and timing to tell her.

 

“You’re awfully quiet.” Naeun says as she notices it immediately. Usually, Bomi never stops talking. She will never run out of topics to chat about but today, the chatterbox seems to be broken.

 

“Oh. Is it? I guess, it’s just really cold.” Bomi answers as she shivers, somewhat managing to lie to her. Naeun looks at her worriedly and insists that they speed up on walking.

 

Eventually, they arrive at the convenience store and pick out the snacks. The two took note to also buy a bottle of soju for Eunji, a can of beer for Chorong, a bag of potato chips for Namjoo and a bite-sized red velvet cake for Hayoung. Once they’ve paid, Bomi and Naeun are back out in the cold.

 

At this point, they’re speed walking. And Bomi knows she’s running out of time. She’s supposed to tell her before they go back to the house. Otherwise when Christmas comes, Naeun will be busy with Taemin and she will grow more distant with her. The time is now.

 

Bomi suddenly grabs onto Naeun’s hand and stops her.  

 

“Naeun, wait.”

 

She turns around. “Did we forget something?”

 

“No.” Bomi shakes her head. “I have something to tell you…”

 

Naeun looks at her with a raised eyebrow but says, “It’s cold out here. Can’t you tell me later?”

 

But Bomi holds tight onto Naeun’s hand. “No. I want to tell you now. Right here.” She sighs and sees the confused look on her roommate’s face.

 

“What is so urgent that you need to tell me right now?”

 

“The thing is I…” Bomi stumbles with her words but she pauses and takes a long breath. Her face suddenly blushes in the midst of the cold as she finds the courage to look into Naeun’s eyes.

 

“I really, really like you Naeun. Wait, no-“ Bomi shakes her head and smiles at her softly, “I love you.”  

 

 

--

 


a/n: bomi's finally did it- after much talk from eunji (best mvp) but was it...too late, now that Naeun is bound to Taemin? Hayoung's religion towards Christmas is no joke, but the fact that her girlfriend Chungha isn't going to be with her on such a special day, Namjoo, this is your chance. Eunji and Chorong are ... ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) a certain someone is feelin thirsty after seeing someone's abs eh? hehe