october (ii)

every second with you

 

Hayoung knows she shouldn’t be here.

 

She’s got two assignments due next week, a test to study and the last train leaves in about an hour—but Namjoo insisted that she’ll drive her back.

 

Her phone is buzzing, probably a call from Chorong asking where the hell she is. Hopefully her sister doesn’t actually call the police and start a whole city search for her…that’ll be embarrassing. It’s a fact that Hayoung is a total sweetheart and won’t turn down a plea for help.

 

That goes the same when she’s leaving campus and is stopped by Namjoo, explaining that one of her club members suddenly can’t make it for the night excursion and needed someone to fill up the space.

 

Now, one thing that Hayoung knows is that Namjoo is always busy with clubs. Club this, club that, she’s missing during the weekends and comes back to just sleep.

 

There hasn’t been a moment where Hayoung actually got to know Namjoo better besides that month in September. But that’s probably because not a lot of things were happening yet and Namjoo had some spare time on her hands.

 

So, Hayoung thinks agreeing onto this sudden night excursion to a mountain is a good moment to strengthen their bond—at least that’s what she’s trying to convince herself as they are trekking up this dark path.

 

The club members are separated into teams of two as the path is too narrow, making it dangerous for a larger group to go. The noises of crickets, shallow dim of the moonlight, occasional cracks of the leaves they step on and nothing but darkness in front of their eyes, Namjoo is clinging dearly onto Hayoung.

 

She’s so close that Hayoung can hear her rhythmical breathing and feel the little movements of her thumbs circling around her arm. Hayoung isn’t used to this and hopes Namjoo can’t hear her heart thumping loudly.

 

“Scared of the dark huh? I wonder who was too excited and forgot to bring a torch light along…” Hayoung hums, trying to act calm and waves her phone light over.

 

“Ok, I’m sorry. At least if we trip over and fall, we’ll die together!” Namjoo whines as she has her eyes closed shut. Hayoung chuckles and feels the tight grip on her hand. It kinda hurts but she doesn’t want to say it does.

 

“So, all we’re doing is getting to the top to see some stars?”

 

“You don’t just call them stars. It’s constellations!”

 

“I’m not really an astronomy person but okay.” Hayoung shrugs as she feels Namjoo’s grip loosen up. Looks like starting a conversation managed to calm her down. “Wait, how many clubs are you in again?”

 

“Drama Club, Athletics Club, Cooking Club and this one, Space Club. So, that makes it four.”

 

“Geez, that’s a lot. How are you able to handle juggling all the tasks with college as well?” Hayoung sighs and shakes her head, knowing that she’ll never sign up with all that crazy workload and stress that comes along with it.

 

Namjoo laughs nervously at that. “I’m not exactly that great with my GPA. It’s just a result of my big boost of enthusiasm at the start of my first year. To be honest, I am kind of regretting about being greedy.”

 

“But you can just quit, can’t you?”

 

“It’s not that easy, Hayoung. Try staying in for a year or so, and feel pressured by the responsibilities and expectations of others.” Namjoo pats her back. “Some people join clubs to expand their networks, others to build up their portfolio but for me, I’m just finding a reason to keep myself busy.”

 

Hayoung notices the sudden drop of Namjoo’s usual cheery tone and opens to say something. But Namjoo beats her to it. “Look! We’re almost there!”

 

Their conversation hangs there as they start hiking up the steps. They focus on the climb, making sure not to slip and twist an ankle. As much as Hayoung wants to ask Namjoo a lot of other questions, looks like she’ll have to save it for another time.

 

“Wow, your stamina !” Namjoo comments as she reaches the top first and watches Hayoung pant. She reaches her hand out, “Come on. Lemme help you.”

 

“Thanks. I’m not exactly the athletic type.” Hayoung grunts as she is pulled up.

 

“And you still said yes to this excursion, knowing that you’re going to hike up a mountain?”

 

Hayoung shrugs, “Doing for my roommate.”

 

“Aw, you’re so sweet.” Namjoo coos and pats her head. Hayoung blushes but Namjoo doesn’t notice due to the dark.

 

The other members who reached earlier already finished setting up the telescope and everyone takes turns to see through the scope. Hayoung sits down and observes the twinkling stars in the sky. Maybe the climb was really worth it. The view is beautiful.

 

“Here. Complimentary drink. Thanks for filling in the space.” Namjoo sits next to Hayoung and taps a cold can of sprite against Hayoung’s cheek.

 

Hayoung thanks her and opens the can that fizzes away. She takes one sip and sighs. The two quietly watch the stars together.

 

“Is Chorong going to kill me for kidnapping you?” Namjoo asks jokingly. Hayoung scoffs and brings up her phone, showing the ten missed calls.

 

Namjoo gasps while Hayoung laughs, “Yeah. She’s gonna kill you.”

 

 

 

xxx

 

 

 

The thing about sharing a house with three final-year students means the common sight of them just lying on the couch and staring blankly at the ceiling with the television running. Coffee in the morning, afternoon and night. Random slurs, body stretches and loud sighs.

 

This is all totally normal.

 

But everyone has their own way of handling it.

 

Chorong spaces it out with breaks in between, sometimes going out for a walk and getting that fresh air. Bomi deals it by chatting with others—being surrounded by people recharges her energy. Eunji is similar to Bomi, but she’s heavily leaning towards lots of alcohol and caffeine.

 

“That’s it, let’s hold a ing party.” Eunji groans as she lifts her feet up from Bomi’s lap. Chorong is sitting at the other end of the couch, legs crossed and hands occupied with a journal book borrowed from the library.

 

“Didn’t you say that you weren’t going to hold any more parties?” Chorong asks, slightly annoyed but honestly, she lowkey wants one.

 

“Don’t be a party pooper.” Bomi pouts and brings out her phone. “Wanna do it tonight? I think my group should be free.” She winks at Eunji who nods in response, their two brains thinking alike.

 

Chorong rolls her eyes at the mention of a spontaneous party planning but doesn’t stop them. As Bomi and Eunji are excitedly discussing who to invite, Chorong texts Hayoung about the party that is bound to happen in a couple of hours.

 

Hayoung replies that she’ll stay out of it and wait for the party to be over at Sooyoung’s dormitory. It’s the safest since its within campus grounds and parties aren’t allowed. After all, she’d rather use that precious time to work on her assignments.

 

In a blink, twenty people start coming in.

 

Bomi invited mates from her dance and taekwondo club which she is now a part-time member. There’s suddenly a lot of chatter and laughter. Eunji is busy handing out drinks to everyone, Bomi is calling pizza and Chorong just sits at the counter to observe everything.

 

“Hey Chorong! Long time no see!” Solar brims in with her girlfriend, Moonbyul.

 

Moonbyul is the leader of the dance club and also the one who encouraged Bomi to sign up. Chorong isn’t close with her, but when it comes to Solar, the two of them were in a group assignment for that one compulsory general elective that everyone had to take as long as they were a Korean citizen. It was something about ethics and history—boring stuff.

 

It was a period where Chorong actually had a groupmate who wasn’t a total jerk.

 

“Hi. I see that you two are still together. That’s great.” Chorong smiles as she watches Moonbyul whisper something into Solar’s ear, kisses her cheek and goes off into the crowd.

 

“Yeah, we’re celebrating our second anniversary soon. So, how’s everything going?” Solar says as she glances at Moonbyul go and sits down to pour a glass of beer.

 

“Like what?”

 

“Don’t act like you don’t know anything.” Solar smirks and nudges her elbow. “Are you two together yet?” She whispers, eyeing over at Eunji who is greeting Moonbyul with a hug.

 

Chorong places her cup down and sighs. “Sorry. It’s…complicated.” Solar understands the tone and pats her shoulder.

 

“I know we don’t really talk much ever since we were done with that course but really though, if there’s anything troubling you, I’m here to listen.” Solar drinks from the glass. “Sometimes, there are things that your housemates are better off not knowing.”

 

Chorong fiddles her fingers around the glass. As much as she knows that Solar is genuine with her words, but the past haunts her. She just can’t trust anyone anymore. Not when she still sees him in her head sometimes.

 

“Thanks Solar.”

 

It’s all that Chorong says as Solar pats her back and leaves to be with Moonbyul. Naeun comes downstairs and slips into the empty seat beside Chorong, “I thought Eunji said no more parties?” She says while observing the scene. Today, she doesn’t plan on drinking.

 

“Beats me. At least it isn’t as crazy as last month.” Chorong shrugs as she looks at Naeun with a smile. “I don’t know if you realise it but Bomi is being very obvious with whatever you guys have been doing.”

 

Naeun’s face lights up in a blush as she awkwardly brushes her hair behind her ears. “Sorry. I told Bomi not to be obvious but just like you said, she’s dumb.” She laughs, “But dumb cute.”

 

Chorong looks softly at Naeun, finding it rare to see her smile and talk about the person she loves and admires.

 

She knew about Naeun’s crush on Bomi ever since Valentines two years ago. When Bomi happily accepted the box of chocolates and ate it without even thinking that it was a love confession—just Bomi being Bomi. She can be both dumb and frustrating at times, but Chorong does not want to interfere with their relationship.

 

After all, she has her own relationship problems.

 

“Did Bomi say anything about it though? Or are you guys just going to keep having…”

 

Naeun nods slowly as Chorong draws a concerned look.

 

“I don’t know. We’ll just see where this leads us. Bomi seems to like it. I mean, having with me.”

 

“I hope you know what you’re doing Naeun. Becoming friends with benefits is kind of risky…”

 

Naeun sighs and says, “I know”.

 

Eunji starts to gather everyone for beer pong. Bomi hurries over to bring a box of ping pongs from the storage room. Namjoo runs into the house as she hears there’s a party at the house and joins.

 

“You guys wanna play?” Eunji asks, eyes darting between Chorong and Naeun.

 

Chorong shakes her head with a “No thanks.” and leaves. Naeun joins as Bomi welcomes her happily. Eunji doesn’t say anything else and watches Chorong go upstairs.

 

She stands there for a long second, thinking about going after her. But just as she makes a decision, Bomi comes to drag her back and urge her to start the game.

 

This time too, Eunji doesn’t chase after her.

 

xxx

 

 

Bomi staggers as she climbs up the stairs halfway. Naeun has her hand around Bomi’s waist and helps her to their room.

 

Even after years of knowing each other, it is common knowledge that one should not have Eunji as their opponent in beer pong. The reason is simple—Eunji throws well. So, Bomi’s pretty much wasted as her team loses with Eunji still very sober and active downstairs.

 

Something hits her stomach and it sends Bomi hurling to the toilet, vomiting everything into the bowl. Naeun stands by the door, ready with a towel and waits for her to finish.

 

This isn’t the first time this has happened.

 

“Thanks, Naeun. You’re the best.” Bomi groans, turning to the sink to rinse and then taking the towel. She smiles, always thankful that Naeun is there for her.

 

If it was Eunji, she will just leave her be. If it was Namjoo, she’d care but then starts making jokes. If it was Chorong, she will be taken care and then her ears will bleed with all the nagging. But when it’s with Naeun, everything’s perfect.

 

“You never learn do you?” Naeun chuckles, rubbing her hands up and down Bomi’s back.

 

“I keep forgetting that Eunji is a master at beer pong.” Bomi laughs and smiles weakly. “But wow, the world is spinning. I think I gotta go to bed.” She holds onto Naeun, her head feeling heavy.

 

“Yup. No more drinking for today. Go to bed, woman.” Naeun says in a motherly tone and leads Bomi back to their room. Just as she’s about to collapse into the mattress, Naeun grabs her wrist.

 

“Wait. Change your clothes. You can’t just go to bed with vomit on your shirt.”

 

“Oh.” Bomi looks down and then grins. She raises her hands up like a child, “Do it for me!”

 

Naeun laughs but also blushes because Bomi’s being really cute right now. She pulls her shirt up and over her head, eyes widening at the s now in front of her face.

 

 “Y-you didn’t wear a bra today?” Naeun stutters, trying to look away even though she should be used to it now, especially since they’ve been having for a couple times already.

 

“It’s the weekend anyways. Whole lot more comfortable without them around.” Bomi replies with pursed lips.

 

“Right.”

 

After grabbing a random shirt and plopping it over Bomi, Naeun feels a wet peck on her cheek as Bomi thanks for all the help. The drunk girl finally crashes into bed and immediately shuts down.

 

Naeun chuckles as her hand is automatically touching the part where Bomi kissed. It’s still striking hot and feels tingly. Usually, she will just leave Bomi be and return to the party downstairs.

 

But today, she decides not to.

 

Climbing into bed and cuddling with Bomi, Naeun pulls her close. One hand around Bomi’s stomach, she rests her head against Bomi’s neck and closes her eyes. Naeun hopes that the night will pass like that with just her and Bomi sleeping in this small bed.

 

 

xxx

 

 

Hayoung heads back to the house at four in the morning.

 

Yeah, she’s slowly adjusting to the college life—appearance of heavy eyebags, irregular eating times and a sudden obsession for coffee. At least, she can rest easy with one assignment complete and ready for submission.

 

After waving goodbye to Sooyoung and her roommate, Yeri who came to see her off, she enters the common area, thinking that it’ll be a mess. And as expected, it is.

 

There are empty beer pong cups littered, leftover pizza boxes open on the floor, soju bottles and a lingering scent of something she can’t quite make of—somewhere along the line of vomit, alcohol and detergent. But she notices someone leaning against the couch.

 

Hayoung approaches her and lifts her head up, realizing its Eunji. She’s fallen asleep. As much as she would love to be that little and leave her there, or take a marker and draw all over her face as revenge for all the teasing, Hayoung is a sweetheart.

 

She grunts and shakes Eunji awake. “Come on, unnie. You can’t sleep here. Go back to your room. Otherwise, you’ll wake up with a sore back.”

 

Eunji shifts her head around and groans. “Leave me alone.” She mumbles lowly. Hayoung stops and crouches down to look at her.

 

“Are you…okay?”

 

Hayoung pauses with a worried look. But shakes her head and thinks there’s no point trying to talk to someone who literally went crazy at a party. Instead, she tries to pull Eunji to her feet. She fails. Too heavy. So, she manages to lift her up onto the couch and that’s it.

 

She dusts her hands and sighs. “This is why Chorong unnie always tells me to never drink. Drinking makes you like this.” Hayoung decides to just let Eunji sleep on the couch and heads upstairs.

 

Hearing Hayoung mutter Chorong’s name makes Eunji sigh.

 

 Now alone as its all quiet, Eunji places her hand over her forehead as a small tear rolls down her cheek. She’s feeling these emotions erupting inside her chest. Everything that’s been holding on inside, only to break apart because she’s drank past her limit.

 

Eunji knows how to control her drinking. But at today’s party when everyone left, she finishes the leftover cans by herself—even though she could just throw them away. Today, she wants to drown herself in alcohol and maybe, make herself feel better about the thing that’s happening between her and Chorong.

 

She just wants everything to go her way. She wants a happy relationship with her. Not this.

 

“Why can’t you trust me?” She chokes and closes her eyes once more. “Why?”

 

It’s only three hours later when the sun begins to rise that Eunji feels herself being carried somewhere. Her head is slanted against someone’s shoulder. It’s firm. Her arms are wrapped around someone’s neck. It’s warm.

 

And then, she’s tucked gently in bed. Eunji tries to open her eyes a little, but pretends to be asleep. She sees someone, a blurry figure and a voice all too familiar.

 

“Every single time, I have to do this for you. When do you ever learn?” Chorong murmurs softly to herself and closes the room door.

 

Eunji opens her eyes fully this time and realizes that it was Chorong who brought her upstairs. She was the one who carried her on her back, even when she’s reeking with alcohol and dirty with all the grime from yesterday.

 

This time, she doesn’t want to let it hang like this.

 

This time, she will chase her.

 

Stumbling out from her bed, opening the door and turning around, Chorong is standing right there, ready to head downstairs. Their eyes meet. Chorong looks at her stunned and Eunji approaches her, ignoring the pain that’s throbbing her head right now and grabs her wrist.

 

“I’ll change.” Eunji says in a slur.

 

“…What?”

 

“I said I’ll change!” She says again, her words becoming clearer. “To become a better person for you. No more drinking parties. No more hookups. No more playing around.” Eunji stops to catch her breath. “I will change for you because I want you to trust me and accept me.”

 

Chorong looks at her blankly as nothing is coming to her head. One part of her thinks that Eunji is spewing nonsense because she’s drunk. The other part of her wants to believe that Eunji is genuinely saying the truth.

 

“…And if you don’t?” Chorong asks hesitantly.

 

Eunji smiles sadly as she vows under her breath.

 

“Then I’ll leave this house and I’ll leave you alone.”

 

The end of October signaled the start of Autumn.

 

The end of October also marked the ending of random drunk parties and the hook-up spree of Jung Eunji. She stopped messing around with people’s feelings and began to work seriously on her grades. No more flirting with strangers.

 

The girls at the house were aware of these changes but never asked Eunji why, simply because it was a change for the better. But some secrets are better left unsaid.

 

And that was why when Namjoo overheard Chorong and Eunji’s conversation that morning, she became the only one who understood the problem between those two. In time, she will dig for more answers. But for now, she will stay quiet and watch everything play.

 

“Am I seeing this right? You’re choosing ing tea over your favourite soju?” Bomi gasps as she watches Eunji brew over the counter. Its such a bizarre sight that Bomi had to slap her cheeks twice to make sure she wasn’t dreaming.

 

“Come on, tea is healthy.” Eunji shrugs, stirring the spoon around. She tries to sip the hot liquid and glances over at Chorong, who simply gives her a half-smile. “Hey, does the caffeine work better if I add three more packets in this?”

 

Chorong gets up from her seat and heads to the counter. “No, you idiot. You don’t make tea like that.”

 

“Oh.” Eunji chuckles and watches Chorong put away the tea packets.

 

Chorong talks to Eunji now, just like normal. As if all of that never happened. And Eunji does not bring the topic up. She thinks that Chorong needs time and she’ll always be patient when it comes to her.

 

At least, they are getting somewhere.

 

--

 


a/n: seems like chorong's slowly opening her heart to eunji. naeun's loyal love to bomi is cute but its upsetting how the latter never notices. namjoo almost slips her tongue on a small part of her past & guess hayoung's going to find another time to crack that open. also, introducing moonsun as a couple in the story. their role will be more prominent later on in the story ;)