epilogue

every second with you

 

 

THREE YEARS LATER

 

 

Hats are thrown up in the air. Students are cheering. People are clapping. The weather is great and sunny. Today is nothing but a joyous, happy occasion for many final years, especially for Hayoung—it’s the long-anticipated graduation ceremony.

 

After four years studying for her degree, surviving all the exams and projects, cramming overnight, losing sleep and countless of parties held to rid the stress, she did it. She ing did it. And even better, she’s already secured a permanent job at Nexon Korea as a programmer.

 

Everyone comes to congratulate the batch. They pose and take photos. Some are holding bouquets of flowers; others clutch onto teddy bears and a smaller few have embarrassing life-size cut outs of their favorite celebrities.

 

“Congratulations on your graduation!”

 

Hayoung turns around to the familiar voice. No, it will be anti-climatic if it was her sister. This woman gives off such a different vibe from others. She dresses differently, luxurious brands all over. Neon pink blazer. White high heels. Black sunglasses. Accessories, glam and glamour.

 

She’s used to this new look of her girlfriend, Namjoo who started working with Chanel Korea last year. Sure, she tends to grab a lot of attention with her fashion style but that’s fine.

 

“I thought you couldn’t make it.” She says as the girl pulls her girlfriend into a warm embrace. Namjoo smiles at her and removes her sunglasses.

 

“Let’s just say I left work early in exchange of an addition four hours working overtime next week…” She laughs nervously. The woman notices the look of worry on Hayoung’s face and softly pinches her cheek. “It’s fine. Not like I hate working there anyway.”

 

As much as Namjoo would love to kiss Hayoung right now, they can’t. They are in public. Their parents are present and if she does, Hayoung will leave with a red lipstick mark.

“As long as you don’t become a workaholic. Thank you for coming.”

 

Hayoung looks softly at Namjoo. She turns to Yerin and asks her to take a photo of them. Her best friend agrees and takes the phone. As she positions the camera, she gives a teasing smirk.

 

“Why are you two posing so casually like that? Be a bit more romantic!” Yerin shouts as the couple blush embarrassingly. Sooyoung hears this and joins in the fun.

 

“How about you two kiss?!”

 

“We are in public. Shut up!”

 

Hayoung yells as her face turns red. Namjoo nods furiously in agreement. Sooyoung mumbles a “no fun” while Yerin suggests they at least hold each other’s hands or something. Standing side by side with a smile is gonna look so lame.

 

The couple eventually give in on that. Namjoo wraps her arm around while Hayoung holds onto the bouquet of flowers.

 

“I hope our parents didn’t hear that.” Namjoo mumbles.

 

“It’s too noisy here so high chances they didn’t. Otherwise, we are pretty screwed.” Hayoung replies.

 

“Okay, I’m taking the photo!” Yerin yells.

 

At the count of three, they smile as the camera clicks. The picture is then sent to the group chat.

 

Chorong sees it first and replies with a “Congratulations”. She adds a heart emoji and then, apologizes for not being there on her sister’s important day. But she promises to be present at the celebratory dinner later.

 

As she finishes sending the text, Chorong puts the phone back on the night stand and goes over to the person sleeping beside her. She presses soft kisses onto the woman’s . Snuggles her head on her shoulder and whispers into her ear, “Wake up.”

 

The woman finally groans awake. “What time is it?” She yawns and rubs her eyes.

 

“A little past two in the afternoon.” Chorong answers with a giggle.

 

“Wow, it’s that late huh?” She sighs and turns around to face Chorong.

 

The woman shrugs in reply. “Working life does kinda .”

 

“Thank god it’s a weekend. Good morning.”

 

Chorong is kissed on the lips. Even though they’ve done this so many times, it always leaves this tingling feeling behind.

 

“You mean afternoon, Eunji.”

 

Her girlfriend beams and simply says that the time of the day doesn’t matter anymore. Chorong chuckles and tells Eunji that they should be getting up now.

 

It has been a year since Chorong and Eunji started living together. They rented out a small studio apartment in Gangnam. Perhaps its fate that their jobs are conveniently located in the same area. This meant they could walk to work together, see each other during lunch and go back home every working day.

 

A dream come true.

 

Chorong now works as a project manager at a small event planning firm. Eunji stays with Samsung after receiving a special contract towards the end of her internship period. From time to time, they become partners as their two companies sometimes collaborate with one another. Like now.

 

“We totally crashed the moment we completed the proposal.”

 

Chorong says as she walks past their living room, seeing the mess from last night. There are papers and documents scattered all over. Leftover coffee mugs. Empty ramen cups. And their laptops now out of charge.

 

“Don’t you think a workaholic couple sounds y?”

 

Eunji replies as she walks into the counters to make coffee. Her white blouse is only worn halfway, buttons still undone. At this point, Chorong has gotten used to Eunji walking around the house . She might have a shirt on but no pants. Well, not that she’s complaining. She gets to enjoy this sight in their own house.

 

“Anyways, we have a meeting at four with the vice president. I hope he’ll be happy with the revised version.” Chorong sighs as she goes to Eunji, naturally helping her with the buttons.

 

“This is the sixth time we are revising the copy. I swear if he wants us to change again, I’m going to flip the table. It’s just a proposal anyway. What’s the big deal?” Eunji groans as she rests her hand on the counter.

 

She doesn’t say anything else and focuses to look at Chorong fixing her buttons. To have her this close still brings butterflies to her stomach. Hands moving up slowly, fingers delicately sewing them into piece. It’s probably just Eunji but right now, Chorong looks hot like that.

 

“So, after the meeting, we’ll head to the dinner party for Hayoung’s graduation, right?”

 

Chorong nods. “We promised her after all.”

 

“It will be nice to see everyone again.” Eunji smiles and easily lifts Chorong up on the kitchen counter. “Brings back good memories.” She leans in carefully, reaching for her lips.

 

“We are going to be late.” Chorong gently pushes Eunji’s forehead away with a frown. But when she sees the disappointment on Eunji’s face, she can’t possibly say no. If anything, Eunji looks like a puppy now, begging for attention and love.

 

Chorong rolls her eyes but, loops her arms around Eunji’s neck. “Fine. Just this once.” She makes the first move and kisses her. Eunji smiles into the kiss and relaxes her hands on Chorong’s waist.

 

On the other side of Seoul, it’s busy. Or rather, it is always busy.

 

Ever since the Son Corporations changed their presidents and made history by electing their first female as leader, things have been different. Unlike Mr. Son’s or Son Dongwoon’s way of handling things which has been rather backward and traditional, Son Naeun has the mind of a true entrepreneur.

 

She doesn’t take risky acts that bears no fruit. She considers each move strategically and logically. She isn’t afraid of psychological games played by her competitors nor panics at urgent situations. As a result, the stocks for the Son Corporations have been seeing a gradual rise over the years since her seat in office.

 

When it comes to the employees, she considers them as friends. No overtime. An equal work-life balance. And there is a policy that everyone should go home by six. As a result, she won the hearts of her staff, is praised and respected. She may be young but she has a lot of potential. This makes her grandfather proud.

 

“Greetings Miss Son. The president of Hyundai is downstairs waiting for your presence.”

 

Seungwan comes in with a bow. Naeun greets her with a smile and tells her to drop the formalities. But her cousin refuses and simply gives an excuse that office mannerism is important, especially when she is her boss.

 

“Fine. You win, vice president.” Naeun says as she gets up from her seat. “Let’s go and see what Hyundai has to say about the partnership deal.”

 

Whenever Naeun exits her office, she will always pass through the corridor. On both her left and right side through the transparent windows, she can see her employees working hard at their desks. But everytime, without fail, her eyes will always manage to find her.

 

Yoon Bomi.

 

Sure, this might be an actual description of letting your girlfriend work with you except she is your worker, and you are her boss, leaving a gap of hierarchy. But it’s better this way.

 

Bomi wasn’t getting much luck anywhere with jobs. It’s not that she slacks. In fact, Naeun knows that Bomi is hardworking, determined. But simply, a little slow at learning. One has to be patient and Naeun has all the time in the world.

 

“How is she doing?” Naeun asks quietly. Seungwan looks at the direction where her cousin is looking and smiles. Her eyes eventually catch hold of Bomi quietly working at her desk.

 

“Besides the spelling errors she made in the last report, Bomi has been very careful since. But she doesn’t let her mistakes get her. Your girlfriend is very optimistic and strives to be better.” Seungwan explains.

 

“I see.” Naeun nods as they wait for the elevator.

 

She decides to send a text to Bomi, reminding her about the dinner gathering later. Seungwan notices and can’t help but to think of her own girlfriend. Unlike her cousin, Joohyun is working overseas and Seungwan doesn’t get to see her often.

 

Bomi replies immediately with an emoticon. Naeun anticipates that she would write something more but Bomi doesn’t. And it shows a lot that Bomi puts a line between her work and love life.

 

“It must be difficult sometimes, to have your girlfriend work in the same place. Don’t you have to fight off the urges?” Seungwan asks curiously.

 

Naeun raises her eyebrows. “Like what?”

 

Seungwan gives a smirk and whispers into Naeun’s ear, “Oh you know, like you and Bomi having in the office.”

 

“W-Why would I do that for?” Naeun turns red and blushes hard. Seungwan winks and simply comments, “Because it’s fun.”

 

The elevator opens and the two enter. Naeun mumbles something about how its Seungwan’s fault for making her fluster all of the sudden. Her cousin gives a quick apology and lets Naeun have time to collect her composure. The woman takes a deep inhale and exhale. She closes her eyes and meditates for a minute.

 

When the elevator door opens again, Naeun’s strong image as the CEO is back. She walks forward with confident steps and greets the president of Hyundai.

 

By evening, the employees of Son Corporation start going home. Bomi leaves her desk and waves goodbye to her co-workers. At this hour, she never leaves the office. Instead, she is always going somewhere else. Her boss’s office. In other words, where her girlfriend is.

 

She knocks three times and waits for the cue. Bomi enters and smiles warmly at Naeun, now wearing glasses and working hard at the laptop.

 

“It’s about time to go.” Bomi says as she stands by the door.

 

“Give me two more minutes.” Naeun mumbles as her fingers are still busy typing away.

 

Bomi exhales a sigh and walks to her desk. She closes the laptop and crosses her arms. “According to office policy, no one is supposed to work after six. That includes you, boss.” The woman leans a little forward to Naeun, but gives a small distance in between. She stares at her silently.

 

“It’s been awhile since I’ve seen you mad…”

 

Naeun blinks, fighting the urge to literally kiss her right now. She thinks about what Seungwan said in the afternoon and boy, she hates her so much for suggesting that idea. There is no one in the office anyway.

 

“I know it’s a lot of work since you’re the queen here. But sometimes, you need to relax and keep your mind off things.” Bomi says with a frown. “I worry about you, okay? There is so much burden on your shoulders. Share some of that with me.”

 

Naeun gives her a soft smile and moves in to gently peck Bomi’s lips. “Thank you.” Her girlfriend grins in reply as she lends out her hand. “Come on. Let’s go to Hayoung’s dinner celebration. Everyone is going to be there.”

 

Hayoung and Namjoo arrives early at the restaurant. They are led into the table they booked and the door closes. It’s a private room for six people. There is a bell to call the waiter and the walls are soundproof—not that it implies anything.

 

The couple chat non-stop even when alone together.

 

Namjoo rants about the fussy clients she has, always changing their orders last minute and asking for special requests that are just annoying to do. Hayoung listens in and laughs at her girlfriend’s frustrations. She also learns that Namjoo is in a runway project for the upcoming Seoul Fashion Week F/W in two months and her girlfriend already secured a free ticket for her. This touches Hayoung’s heart and assures Namjoo that she will be there to support.

 

Hayoung shares about her future plans after graduation. She plans to move back with her parents living in Seoul. The girl has also started raising a puppy named “Bbang”. This gets Namjoo excited because she too, owns a puppy named “Po”. The conversation becomes loud as the topics jump to pets.

 

“You know, I can hear you two from outside.”

 

Eunji says as she opens the door. Chorong waves at the two and is pulled in by Namjoo’s hug. Hayoung coolly greets her two former housemates and gives them the menu. Minutes later, Bomi and Naeun come in and suddenly, the whole room becomes really noisy.

 

Bomi starts singing a congratulatory song for Hayoung. Eunji joins in with the harmonies. Naeun and Namjoo clap along to the rhythm. Chorong films it on her phone. The youngest of the house is finally out and ready to be an adult. It felt like yesterday when Hayoung first moved in and feeling completely lost. But now, so much time has passed.

 

“Hey, we should start ordering soon. Otherwise they might kick us out for being so noisy.” Eunji jokes as she hands out the menu to the rest.

 

The room finally grows quiet as they look through the pages, deciding on what to order. It takes them five minutes until the waiter is called. Once the orders are written down, the man leaves and it becomes noisy again.

 

To have six girls reunited, leaves a nostalgic feeling. Although they may no longer live under the same roof anymore, but no one has changed. Everyone is the same old, except they have become working adults, each finding a place as members of society.

 

“…and the two of us are working together temporarily.”

 

Eunji says as she explains the project, she was assigned with Chorong. Samsung wants to arrange a product launching event for their new series of phones. To do that, she is paired up with the project manager of the event management company, who happens to be her girlfriend.

 

“Don’t lie. I bet you guys probably kissed somewhere while working.” Bomi eyes on the couple.

 

“No. Work is work.” Chorong firmly says with her arms crossed.

 

“Although we do reward each other when we pass through some hurdles.” Eunji leans in with a wink. This leaves Chorong blushing and everyone laughs.

 

Naeun proceeds to tell everyone the good news of Son Corporations and the successful signing with Hyundai Motors. Bomi becomes the first employee to hear of this, besides the vice president, Seungwan. Perhaps, that’s benefits of being lovers with your boss.

 

The ladies clap and pray that Naeun’s company will only prosper along the way.

 

“Honestly, who would’ve thought that among the six of us, Naeun ended up with the highest ranking position?” Namjoo says as she sips her beer.

 

“She may be quiet most of the time, reading books. But her intellectual is powerful.” Eunji says as she taps lightly on her forehead.

 

“Of course. My girlfriend is amazing, okay?” Bomi says with pride.

 

“I’m glad we all did good after college.” Chorong sighs in relief.

 

“Hey, this is only the beginning, unnie! There is going to be a lot more things to come. Happy days, sad days. But I just know we’ll be able to go through it.”

 

Hayoung says as she stands up to raise her glass high up in the air. “To many more years together, guys!”

 

Everyone smiles at the youngest and follow suit. They raise their glasses in the air and say it loudly in unison.

 

“Cheers!”

 

 

 

 

 

Every second with you.

End.