november (i)

every second with you

 

Everyone gathers to the common area one weekend when Hayoung texts the group that she’s bringing over brownies that she’s been baking with her friends.

 

Namjoo skips her club meetings. Eunji sits out on her evening runs. Bomi drops her plans with her friends. Naeun cancels the dinner appointment with her family. Chorong doesn’t go to the library.

 

For the first time, everyone in the house stops whatever they’re doing and comes together.

 

It isn’t because Hayoung forced them or anything. They did it out of their own free will. Out of their pure love and endearment for the youngest in the house.

 

“Wow, miss club addict actually skipped her meeting. Good job.” Eunji claps her hands together as Namjoo comes to sit beside. The girl gives her a “duh” face and says, “I’ll do anything for Hayoung.”

 

Bomi whistles and jokes, “Then why isn’t she your girlfriend yet?” while Naeun giggles. Namjoo gasps and opens to say something but Chorong shushes everyone as she peeks out of the window.

 

“She’s coming!”

 

The group scramble at the door, waiting excitedly like kids on Halloween as it opens. Everyone greets Hayoung cheerily and meet her friends, Sooyoung and Yerin. They squeeze through the door and crash. It’s a rather cute sight to start off November as laughter fills into the autumn air.

 

Bomi, Eunji and Namjoo are happily ushering Hayoung’s friends inside. Chorong, Naeun and Namjoo help Hayoung with the brownies, bringing and setting them on the table.

 

“Smells delicious!” Namjoo squeals with excitement and gives a thumbs up to her roommate. “I haven’t even tasted this yet but I know it’s going to be good!”

 

“Uh…don’t let your hopes up…” Hayoung laughs nervously while Sooyoung hangs her arm over Hayoung’s shoulder.

 

“She wanted to make something as a token of appreciation for all the warm hospitality you guys have given her for the past month.” Sooyoung says, playfully poking her friend’s cheek.

 

Yerin jumps in and snickers playfully, “But our friend here is too shy and begged us to help with her sweet little gift.”

 

Everyone in the house chimes with an “aww” and leaves Hayoung blushing fast. Yerin and Sooyoung all laugh at their tomato-faced friend and quickly leave even though the others insisted them to stay—it’s their way of revenge after being bossed around to make the brownies.

 

“I hate them…” Hayoung mumbles, watching her two friends scurry away from the window.

 

She turns around to the hums and moans of everyone digging into the brownies. “I-Is it good?” She asks, scratching her head and looking shyly at them. Everyone nods and smiles.

 

“They’re great! Thank you so much for making these brownies for us. You really didn’t have too, you sweet angel.” Bomi pops another one into as her words disappear into a mumble.

 

She crawls back to the couch as Naeun joins Bomi, bringing along a plate of brownies and sets it on her lap to share with her.

 

Chorong pats Hayoung’s back and winks. “Don’t worry, I already sent a photo of your masterpiece to the family chat.”

 

Hayoung gapes, “You did not-!” She whines but Chorong nods her head with a laugh, “Yes I did. I need to let mom and dad know that you’re settling in just fine.” The younger sister groans, thinking that she’ll get a call from mom later.

 

“We are all eating it, but the chef herself hasn’t. Go on, try it.” Namjoo says, giving a brownie to Hayoung “Ah~” The girl blushes but shyly lets her roommate feed her.

 

Even though there’s nothing embarrassing about being fed, it’s the person who’s feeding her that’s making her heart jumpy.

 

Hayoung opens her eyes wide in surprise. She thought everyone was just being nice and lying but it’s actually really good. Namjoo laughs at her and coos, “Look at your face. You’re so cute Hayoung.”

 

And Namjoo’s comment is one that will leave Hayoung thinking for the whole night.

 

Everyone decides to watch a movie together since they’ve cancelled all their plans and it’s too late to go out and do anything. They spend minutes debating between an action blockbuster film or a romance one. Eventually, Thor is picked and the room begins to grow quiet as the movie plays.

 

Naeun and Bomi are seated in the far corner, sharing the plate of brownies. Hayoung is squeezed between Namjoo and Chorong at the centre. Eunji chills on the beanie next to her roommate.

 

Its only halfway through the movie that someone yawns and starts to get playful.

 

“Never have I ever had while high.” Eunji says randomly out of the blue.

 

“Eunji, what the .” Namjoo comments.

 

“Never have I ever seen chickens.” Bomi joins in.

 

“Bomi, shut up.” Chorong sighs. Naeun laughs while Hayoung curiously asks, “Really?”

 

“Only seen them on pictures. They don’t count, do they?”

 

“But you eat chickens. They count.” Namjoo says while Eunji counters, “She meant a live chicken. Not a dead one, dummy.”

 

“Can we stop talking about this and focus on the movie?” Chorong groans, shifting her legs around.

 

“Never have I ever smoked.” Namjoo continues.

 

“Never have I ever skinny dipped.” Naeun adds.

 

The rest snicker at how no one is listening to Chorong. For a moment, they’ve forgotten about the movie. The night is still young and in a rare timing where all housemates are together? It calls for something more than just a boring screening.

 

“Why are we even playing this game? There isn’t even any drinks involved.” Chorong comments while Bomi sits up, “Well, there’s some in the fridge.”

 

“I’ll go get them.” Naeun says while Namjoo agrees and follows her into the kitchen.

 

Eunji waves her hand and reminds them not to get one for her. Chorong notices and realises her roommate has been sticking true to her promise.

 

She knows how much Eunji loves to drink and she’s been going at this torture for close to two weeks now. Even though she knows the reason why Eunji is doing this, she can’t let her suffer.

 

“Give Eunji a drink. She needs a break on her no alcohol diet.”

 

Eunji gives her a surprised look. She wants to say something but decides not to. Instead, she just smiles softly at Chorong and turns to the Naeun.

 

“Alright, you heard the queen. Give me one can of beer please!”

 

 

xxx

 

 

With the weather beginning to turn cold and chilly, it gives more reasons to stay indoors.

 

November is a time where everyone can be found at home. Alcohol is replaced with sweet, hot chocolate. Parties are replaced with cozy movie nights. And the noise in the house is reduced thanks to the upcoming mid-terms.

 

This meant more cramming, more studying and more all-nighters.

 

Eunji notices Chorong has been studying non-stop. Her roommate simply goes out for classes and returns to drown into books. Her desk is piling with printed copies of lecture slides, highlighters scattered all over and floor buried with the charging wires.

 

Usually, their room is clean thanks to Chorong’s neatness. But with it being messy, it’s a clear sign that exam season is here.

 

“Need another refill of coffee?” Eunji asks as she slips into her desk next to hers.

 

Unlike Chorong, Eunji’s desk is pretty much bare. That’s because she isn’t the studying type. She doesn’t take notes or borrow supplementary material from the library. She just uses her laptop.

 

“It’s fine. Don’t talk to me. I’m thinking. You’re going to break my flow of thoughts.”

 

Eunji chuckles and pretends to zip . “Alright. I’ll shut up.”

 

The roommates quietly study as hours pass. With their desks side by side, it’s something the two always do whenever its exam season. After all, it’s always nice to have a study buddy. Chorong could just go to the library but she stays here, with Eunji.

 

Simply, because.

 

As much as Chorong does not admit it, she enjoys Eunji’s company. As much as Chorong does not admit it, she is in love with Eunji.

 

But because of her past, she hesitates and tries to push those feelings away. Even though she’s trying so hard, Chorong isn’t aware that she’s unconsciously letting Eunji into her heart, bit by bit.

 

Chorong doesn’t realise that the longer she spends time with Eunji, the deeper she’s going to fall in love until there’s no way out.

 

It’s a little into the evening that the sun goes down. Sunday passes so quickly like that.

 

“Oh god, its five. Where did the time go?” Eunji groans as she stretches her back and leans her head outwards.

 

She turns to face Chorong, head resting on her hand as she smiles, noticing that her roommate did not hear her.

 

“I know you’re still studying but there are times where we need a break, miss.” Eunji waves her hand in front of Chorong. “Besides, your cup is empty.” She looks at the finished coffee from this afternoon.

 

Chorong closes her eyes and sighs. “Fine. Let’s take a break.”

 

“Good.” Eunji gives her thumbs up and suddenly grabs Chorong’s hand. “Come on, let’s go on a walk and let out all that stress.”

 

Chorong’s eyes perk as she’s staring at her. “A walk? I thought you’d be running at this hour.”

 

“Oh, you want me to run when its ten degrees outside?”

 

“Then you want me to go out for a walk and freeze to death?” Chorong counters.

 

Eunji goes “oh” and slumps back into her seat, resting her head on the desk in defeat. The sight makes Chorong chuckle. Her roommate gets up and opens the cupboard. “Catch.” Chorong says as she tosses a thick brown coat to Eunji. She takes another spare coat and wears it over.

 

Eunji looks at her blankly and goes, “Huh?”

 

Chorong rolls her eyes. “Let’s go for a walk, you dummy.”

 

 

xxx

 

 

It starts with Bomi giving up on studying halfway and starts a Google search on ways to relieve stress. One of these options came up with “ual ”. And being the dumb Bomi she was, the girl brought this up to Naeun who was very much engrossed in memorising her textbook.

 

“I can’t believe you.” Naeun scoffs but suddenly doesn’t mind the fact that Bomi is literally inviting her for a session. She watches as her roommate begins to undress without even waiting for her consent.

 

Now, the girl has gotten used to Bomi randomly stripping out of nowhere. Long gone the days where Naeun would blush heavily and cover her eyes, whining her roommate to put some clothes on. But here, she’s memorised the way Bomi’s body is structured. The way her s are positioned perfectly together and that cute slab of fat on her stomach.

 

Naeun hears Chorong and Eunji coming out of their room as they pass through the hallway. She opens the door slightly and peeks through the opening, hearing them talk about going to a nearby park that they haven’t gone to in awhile. Naeun assumes they will be gone for at least an hour.

 

Then, she remembers that Hayoung went to the library with her friends. She also notes that Namjoo isn’t around. That leaves her and Bomi alone at the house—meaning they could have fun without anyone having to hear them. Oh, yes.

 

“What are you looking through the door for?” Bomi asks, now and ready. She slithers her way to Naeun and smirks. “Come on, undress. Or do you want me to do it for you?” She bites her lips and stares at the easy shirt her roommate is wearing.

 

Naeun blushes hard at Bomi’s bold words. If its one thing that will keep her surprised all the time, its how unpredictable Bomi is. She can say the most random lines that can either shock, surprise or make you shy.

 

She closes her eyes and easily exposes her neck for her. “We’ve done this a few times. Why don’t you take control for today?”

 

“Okay. I’ll show you the fruits in the art of .” Bomi presses her lips against Naeun’s skin as the latter laughs at the commentary. “Really?”

 

“Hey, hey, don’t doubt me when you’re going to making a lot of sounds later on.”

 

Naeun gives her a wry smile and kisses Bomi without any warning.

 

After one good round, here they are, cuddling on Naeun’s bed. under the sheets, limbs wrapped in each other’s warmth, Naeun is quietly reading her book while Bomi is scrolling through Instagram. Its as if between them never happened.

 

But its always calm moments like this, the “cooling” period that Naeun cherishes the most. Just being this close to her in an enclosed space without any of Bomi’s nonsense or antics. Just Bomi in her very, normal self.

 

“You’re been spacing out lately.” Bomi comments quietly as she exits Instagram. “I know you like to keep your thoughts to yourself and I respect that. But you know, I’m your best friend. I’m always here to listen.”

 

Best friend.

 

Naeun smiles, even though that just threw a stab into her heart. “Thank you. But I’m fine. Just, tired.” She says as her eyes land back on the pages.

 

In the end, Bomi sees her nothing more as a friend.

 

A best friend who is always there to help her. A best friend who is willing to have with her and gain new experiences. It’s just that. The definition of their relationship.

 

As much as Naeun loves spending every moment with Bomi without her knowing her true feelings, she’s worried that Bomi will probably never notice at all. It’s exactly what Chorong warned. Bomi takes this as an act of kindness from a friend.

 

As much as she would love to shout and tell Bomi how long she’s been crushing on her, as much as she would love to go straight to her face and say that she doesn’t want to be someone that she just has with, she can’t.

 

Those words don’t come out that easily.

 

“I see.” Bomi looks at Naeun for a short moment as she suddenly stretches her body. “Anyways, I think I’m pretty energised after all that! Time to grind!” She groans and jumps out of bed.

 

Bomi grabs the textbook she gave up reading minutes ago and speedily flips through the pages as if she’s a prophet. She clears her throats and begins to chant the mathematical equations again. And of course, this act leaves Naeun laughing.

 

“At least wear some pants.” Naeun says as she throws it over to her roommate. She catches it and clumsily wears it over, eventually tripping over the chair.

 

“Ack! That hurt!”

 

Naeun chuckles once more, her smile spreading wider than ever. She watches as Bomi mumbles to herself as she staggers back to the desk while rubbing her injured feet.

 

“I love you, dummy.”

 

Naeun blurts quietly. Bomi doesn’t hear it. But that is more than enough. Every little effort counts.

 

As long as her feelings were delivered in this room, that’s all that matters.

 

 

xxx

 

 

It’s chilly out at the park that is just a twenty-minute walk from the house. With the moon glowing among the skies, there is barely anyone around except the two of them. They sit on the swings, casually going back and forth as it creaks into the cold air.

 

“Eunji.” Chorong starts, looking down at the ground. “Have you like considered what companies you might be choosing for internship?”

 

“Oh.”

 

The conversation hangs for awhile as Eunji gives it a moment of thought.

 

“Honestly, I haven’t even processed the fact that we’re final year students. Those three years fly by so fast. I still feel like a freshman.”

 

“And I can’t believe my little sister is already in college.” Chorong comments as she sighs at the thought of growing old. “Eventually, we’re going to leave the house when we graduate. We’re going to start finding jobs, earning money and officially become…adults.”

 

“Deep.” Eunji chuckles and looks at her. “Is that what happens when you study too hard? But I get what you mean. You’re the type to plan things ahead. I don’t. I just do whatever happens in that moment.”

 

“That’s why you end up hooking up with total strangers and suddenly getting yourself into a million of relationships that you can’t handle.”

 

“Hey, I already broke up with all of them.”

 

“But the memories stay.”

 

Eunji can’t counter that and sees the hurt in Chorong’s eyes. Maybe she shouldn’t have said that.

 

“Sorry.”

 

“It’s fine. It’s your nature. That’s why you’re used to it.”

 

“And I’m changing.” Eunji emphasises.

 

Although she didn’t plan on having this kind of conversation with Chorong, but it just naturally flowed like that.

 

“That’s the old me. Yes, sometimes, I am ashamed with what I’ve done. It was fun for a moment, but eventually, I came to realise that I’m just selfish. I did a lot of reflection about that. The people whom I dated. The one night stands I had to I don’t know, release stress? Forget about things?”

 

“Eunji.”

 

“It’s because I didn’t want to be a burden to anyone, that’s why I wanted to satisfy people. Let them know that I can do it. If they told me to drink, I’ll drink. If they told me to have with them, I’ll have with them.”

 

Eunji tightens the grip on the swing handle.

 

“Eventually, I found joy in these short moments I spend with strangers. It makes me forget about my past. About my uncle who loathes me. About my grandmother who worked so hard until she died. About the fact that I…don’t really know where to go from here.”

 

Chorong closes her eyes, not wanting to let her past haunt her again.

 

The way Eunji’s explaining her past, putting herself as the victim in the story, it’s just so familiar yet different. She knows that Eunji meant no harm in this. She knows that Eunji is different. Eunji isn’t him.

 

But she can’t help it.

 

She can’t help but to think that Eunji’s saying all this to pity her, to force her into a relationship, just like the way he did.

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

It’s all that Chorong says after quietly listening to her roommates’ story. She doesn’t want to continue the conversation and Eunji notices it from her facial expression.

 

Eunji inhales and exhales slowly, breathing in the cold air as she gets up from the swing. She thinks that’s enough for today.

 

She’s scared that anything else that comes out from , might make things worse.

 

“Let’s head back.”

 

 

 

xxx

 

 

 

Mid-terms came and left—that calls for a celebration.

 

Hayoung tells everyone that she’s going to a party organised only for the freshmen via the group chat. They all coo and tease that the “baby” of the house is all grown up.

 

Chorong nags her to control her drinking. Bomi insists that she can fetch her after the party. Eunji reminds her to be wary of strangers. The ‘baby” sends a rolling eyes emoji and doesn’t bother opening it for the rest of the night.

 

Sooyoung fetches Hayoung in her car as they meet up with Yerin, along with their group of 96’liner friends. They are attending a party by Jennie Kim, a.k.a—the super-rich and popular girl who got in easily thanks to her father’s influence but plot twist, she isn’t a but is actually really sweet.

 

The first step into the large, gated mansion and Hayoung can tell that this is a lot tamer compared to the wild, raw parties at her house—which is a good thing. No one’s suddenly stripping their clothes off or doing crazy drinking games.

 

There’s calm music, people are laughing while holding their champagne glasses, everything is so elegant and proper. Boy, Hayoung is so lucky to have Jennie Kim in her batch.

 

“What the hell, there’s a huge pool too!” Sooyoung exclaims.

 

“Oh my god, there’s a rainbow unicorn floatie!” Yerin squeals as the two rush over and begin taking turns to pose for photographs. Hayoung shakes her head, knowing that her Instagram feed is going to be spammed with that.

 

Instead of joining them, she finds an empty table, sits down and observes the party. There are a couple of faces she knows, some that she doesn’t.

 

Sejun is her Computer Science buddy and he’s already got his own group of friends. There’s Chanmi, a member of the Dance Club—she thinks Bomi might know her. Other than that, Soobin, Yeonwoo and Handong seem preoccupied with food.

 

Yeah, she kinda at making friends. Maybe parties aren’t really her thing.

 

“Are you guys done taking pictures? Oh no- guys, this isn’t a pool party! You guys aren’t even wearing swimsuits!” Hayoung groans, seeing her two friends run to the other side.

 

“You’re just no fun!” Yerin comments as she drags Sooyoung away.

 

Hayoung rolls her eyes with a sigh.

 

“Parties not your thing?”

 

Someone comes over to Hayoung’s side and lands her champagne glass on the table. Hayoung freezes as she looks up. For a moment, perhaps she stopped breathing. Out of all people she could meet in this party, it had to be her.

 

Kim Chungha.

 

Not that she’s a bad person or anything. In the 96-liner group chat, Hayoung knows Chungha as one of those cool kids. She’s Youtube famous for her dance covers, has a million subscribers. She’s charismatic, charming—everyone crushes on her.

 

“Uh, y-yeah. I guess so. Just, not good- at socialising I guess.” Hayoung robots her words together while scratching her cheek, avoiding eye contact with Chungha who easily notices her awkwardness.

 

“I can see that.” Chungha chuckles, glancing over at Sooyoung and Yerin who were now dipping their feet into the pool. “Your friends ditched you huh?”

 

Hayoung shrugs, “Great friends indeed.” She says sarcastically, “What about you?”

 

“Same.” Chungha smiles, “Hey, I overheard the butlers talking about a fireworks display starting soon. Wanna go and get the best spots?”

 

“Like where?”

 

Chungha points to the rooftop of the mansion. “There.” She looks into Hayoung’s eyes, expecting her to follow. And honestly, who can say no with all that shimmer and sparkle?

 

So, Hayoung takes one quick look at her friends who were now laughing and returns her gaze to Chungha, nervous as the first thing she sees is her warm smile. There’s something that causes her heart to dance, something that make the butterflies in her stomach active, something that feels very familiar.

 

A feeling so familiar, to that of the first time she met Namjoo.

 

“Okay. Let’s go.”

 

Hayoung mumbles, somewhat enchanted by Chungha’s charms as she follows her into the mansion. Sooyoung and Yerin notice it and being the best friends, they were, they did nothing to stop her.

 

“I’m betting 10 bucks she’ll get kissed tonight.” Sooyoung says.

 

“Oh yeah, I’m saying she’s going to get laid tonight.” Yerin adds.

 

“You’re pushing it. But that will be really interesting if she does.”

 

“At least this can be a wake-up call for our dear friend who has no idea that she’s gay?” Yerin laughs as Sooyoung wraps her arm around her shoulder.

 

“Seeing how she’s obeying so quickly, she’s a super bottom alright.” Sooyoung snorts while Yerin playfully slaps her shoulder.

 

A week after Jennie’s party, Hayoung gathers everyone in the house for something “important”.

 

This time too, Namjoo skips her club meetings. Eunji sits out on her evening runs. Bomi drops her plans with her friends. Naeun cancels the dinner appointment with her family. Chorong doesn’t go to the library.

 

Just like before, everyone stops whatever they are doing and comes together for the ‘baby’ of the house.

 

“What is it now?” Chorong sighs, thinking her sister might’ve done something bad.

 

“You’re going to scare the poor girl. Drop that scowl on your face.” Eunji laughs, tapping onto her roommate’s shoulder.

 

“Let’s all give Hayoung space and time for whatever she’s going to tell us.” Namjoo shushes everyone and comforts the girl, giving her a comforting smile, telling her that she won’t get in trouble for whatever she’s about to say.

 

“Right.” Hayoung clears and flutters her eyes around the living room, unsure who to look at.

 

Naturally, it falls on Namjoo and her fingers are suddenly fiddling about.

 

“So…you know the party I attended last week? The one that was freshmen only?”

 

“Oh yeah, I heard it was fancy. Like REAL fancy.” Bomi emphasises.

 

“Did you break something expensive?” Chorong interrogates with her eyebrow raised.

 

“No, I did not break anything. But yes, the party was super fancy.” Hayoung clarifies, nervously waving her hands around.

 

“Fancy party calls for fancy alcohol.” Eunji hums but catches a glare from Chorong and decides to shut up.

 

Hayoung sighs and closes her eyes. She inhales and exhales slowly. Her cheeks flare up and her heart is beginning to jump at what she’s about to say.

 

“I’m d-dating someone from my batch.” She confesses with a stutter. Head looking downwards, she continues, “And it’s…a girl.”

 

--

 


a/n: hayoung x chungha y'all, the namjoo ship sunk lmaoo... naeun is starting to have second thoughts on her friends with benefits agenda with bomi and chorong's past with her abusive ex continues to haunt her. :( 

p.s also the fluff scenes at the beginning is a + bonus hehe