bonus: one

Too Far for Me

Baekhyun finally finished his first year in college and celebrated by burning all of his assignments throughout the year with his boyfriend, Chanyeol. It was a tough year for the pair as Baekhyun struggled to adjust to the college lifestyle as well as juggling with the bumps of his relationship. There were times where Baekhyun would occasionally dye his blonde hair to relieve stress, but he ended up damaging it. As a result, he cuts it shorter. Now looking like a cute blonde puppy with a small mullet and bangs, he is arguing with Chanyeol through the phone on a Wednesday morning.

 

"Babe, I told you to volunteer with me! You're breaking our promise to impress my mom's elderly women!" Baekhyun whined as he softly kicked his feet on his mattress. "I'm going to snitch to Jongin if you don't come with us to the senior home."

 

The tradition of volunteering at the camp started between Chanyeol and Jungmyeon when they started high school. Ever since the day they went for their eighth grade trip, they decided to begin a tradition where they volunteer with middle schoolers every summer. Even as college students, they still continued their tradition and brought other people to join like Jongin, Minseok, Jongdae, Kyungsoo, and Sehun. However, this year was different because Baekhyun decided to join the tradition, but it was actually his mother's.

 

Chanyeol rolled his eyes, something he started to do since the final exams week for Baekhyun, while glaring at Jongdae besides him on the bus full of middle schoolers he was assigned to direct to the camp grounds. They met all of the school buses outside of the entrance to the entire campsite. He continued to hear his little boyfriend convincing him to skip on the tradition and follow him and Jongin to the senior home that his mom used to volunteer at. Before he joined the friend's tradition, he always volunteered with his mom and received a lot of praise throughout the years. This year he hoped to bring Chanyeol to prove the elderly women that he trapped a hot boyfriend, but here they are.

 

"Chanyeol! Are you even listening? Why is it so loud on your end?" Baekhyun asked as he tried to listen to the background noises. "Are you with kids? Wait— DID YOU GO?" He gasped out loud and quickly sat up on his bed.

 

Jongdae began snickering with his ear against Chanyeol's phone. Chanyeol quickly shooed him away and took a deep breath. "Yeah, I went—" He was interrupted with the younger's whining.

 

"Why? I told you last night that Jongin is going to remove you off the volunteer list," the younger pouted as he scratched his head. "How could one of my best friends do this? Thank goodness I have Kyungsoo with me."

 

While Baekhyun continued to scold Chanyeol for being such a bad boyfriend, the bus went over a speed bump that could barely be seen by the bus driver, and caused the call to end due to the connection in the campsite. Chanyeol thanked God and slid his phone into his camp leader vest pocket. Jongdae started to burst into laughter before teasing Chanyeol about Baekhyun's recent attitude. "You better confront him before he lives like that forever!" He snickered.

 

On the other hand, the blonde back in his room looked at his phone after the disconnection before tossing it aside. Taking a deep breath, he faced the small photo collage of him and Chanyeol on the wall. "Maybe I am becoming a , or maybe he just can't handle me anymore," he said to himself. Baekhyun shrugged it off and got himself up to get ready for the day.

 

[bonus: one]

 

The day began with getting schools sorted into the cabins and operating with walkie talkies for the staff. Since there were only four people, Chanyeol had to pair and room with Jongdae while Jungmyeon shamelessly took Sehun as his partner. Chanyeol and Jongdae had once barely talked with each other since they practically fight over Baekhyun, but lately they have been getting along since the day they were at Baekhyun's house for a movie night. Chanyeol didn't think it would be a bad idea to be with Jongdae; however, the younger had other plans that involved annoying the elder.

 

"I want the lower bunk," Jongdae said while Chanyeol was rearranging his belongings in the drawers. Chanyeol looked over his shoulder to see the younger with wide eyes. "I'm serious, Park!" He laughed out loud when Chanyeol hit his head against the opened upper drawer above him.

 

In the other cabins for the camp counselors, Sehun and Jungmyeon were playing rock paper scissors for the upper bunk bed. Sehun never prepared himself to be Jungmyeon's partner, especially since he has a small crush on the elder. He wasn't sure when his feelings developed for Jungmyeon. All he knew was that he felt his heart skip multiple beats the first two times he met Jungmyeon. He had no intentions of asking him to date because he was inexperienced. He also believes that Jungmyeon won't see him in that type of way.

 

"HA! I AM ON TOP!" Jungmyeon exclaimed while clapping his hands in excitement. "How convenient for you! You won't have to ball yourself up like how Chanyeol would every single year," he laughed.

 

Sehun let out a small laugh as he sat on top of his mattress. "Yeah, I agree with that. I can sleep well," he said. The younger started to press his hands into the mattress to have a feel for it. It wasn't a comfortable one, but maybe he can tolerate with it. He usually sleeps on harder mattresses rather than softer ones. "I should tolerate with it for a few days."

 

Jungmyeon slapped his hand on his back, making the younger flinch and look up at him with alert in his eyes. "Did I scare you? I'm sorry—" Sehun immediately shook his head and shot up from his bed. He walked over to where his belongings were and began to unpack, distracting himself from the sudden contact. It was the closest he has ever gone with the elder, and he was certainly not prepared for it at all. Sehun activated his gay panic mode as he transfered his clothes from his bag into the drawers.

 

[bonus: one]

 

It was officially day one of service that the boys survived through. Chanyeol and Jongdae had an easy day trying to play lots of icebreakers as well as making sure no sneaky kid was going off to the woods to meet their crushes. Sehun and Jungmyeon were more on the strict side of handling the campers, yet still made sure that they had fun. Even Minseok came along to be in charge of the activities. It was a good start for the first day, and hopefully will be better until Sunday evening. As for the other three boys, Baekhyun did not have a great start. While Kyungsoo and Jongin were taking care of some of the elderly they were assigned to, Baekhyun was with the elderly women he knew since the day he started service with his mom. Besides the constant nagging over his boyfriend, Baekhyun wasn't as enthusiastic as his previous years.

 

It became clear to Baekhyun that he was in the wrong in his relationship. He always reminded Chanyeol that communication is key to a successful relationship, and now he was being a hypocrite for not doing the same. For months he was not as affectionate or caring to Chanyeol due to his studies. The messages were always dry or discontinuous, they barely go out, and Baekhyun would end up brushing the elder off to leave him alone. Even his attitude towards Chanyeol and blaming him for not being the greatest boyfriend became obvious to the smaller. Clearly, he was the terrible one. Every time he talks to Jongdae about it, his best friend would simply say: Well, Chanyeol is always patient. He understands. Baekhyun doubted that because to a certain point, Chanyeol would give up, and he believed it when his texts weren't going through to Chanyeol's phone.

 

Baekhyun pouted down at his phone while drying his hair. None of his messages came through to the elder's phone. Little did he know, Chanyeol is in a ing forrest, so clearly there is no service there. He turned off the tiny hair dryer and hooked it back on the wall, turning off the light as he left the bathroom. He crawled onto his bed and rested his back against the soft pillow, putting all of his attention on the old television screen that was playing some late night comedy. If only he was roommates with Kyungsoo, but his best friend wanted to be with his boyfriend. Baekhyun rolled his eyes at the thought of it. If only Chanyeol was here.

 

A knock came at the door that made Baekhyun question who could be awake at this time. It was unlikely to be Kyungsoo because he was drained out from the day. It wouldn't be Jongin either because he is practically glued to his boyfriend. Baekhyun had a feeling that it could be his mom, so he rushed to the door and unlocked it. He opened the door to see one of the women he tends to the most.

 

"Baekhyun? May I come in?" Ms. Seo, a woman who watched Baekhyun grew throughout his life, asked as she clutched onto her cardigan. "I have something to ask you."

 

The boy immediately opened the door wider for her and guided her inside to his bed. She plopped down softly on the mattress, waiting for Baekhyun to lock the door and grab the desk chair. He placed it in front of her and sat down, worried eyes looking up at her. "What's wrong, Ms. Seo?"

 

"Oh please! How many times have I told you to address me as grandmother? You are more forgetful than I am," she teased. Baekhyun blushed and nodded his head. "I know it is late, but something has been bothering me. It's almost as if it was a sign, but please tell me," she placed her hand on top of his, "are you okay?"

 

In shock, Baekhyun only laughed and started rubbing the woman's hand. "It's only my first day! How can I ever be tired of helping—"

 

"Love-wise, Baekhyun. Your relationship," Ms. Seo sighed. "You bragged about him, of course, but the energy is not the same."

 

Throughout the entire day, Baekhyun was as lively as he has always been. Even when he speaks about Chanyeol, he was always proud of how he has him in his life. Especially as his boyfriend. However, Ms. Seo could read his behavior like an open book. His smile would always fall whenever the other women praised him of being so good to Chanyeol. He would often switch the topic to focus on Chanyeol and how he has treated him, but they knew too much that they only wanted to hear about Baekhyun's side. Ms. Seo knew too well that something happened, which is why she cannot sleep until she knows what is wrong.

 

Baekhyun absentmindedly pouted at her and looked down at their hands on his lap. Of course she would notice. "I have not been doing my part, grandmother. I think I am making him drift away," he mumbled without making eye contact. "I know that I saw too many good things about us, but this time I am making it worse. College changed my attitude due to stress, and I am not as affectionate as I used to be towards him. It's like a love-hate relationship at this point, but Chanyeol never complains." Tears began to form in his eyes as he explained.

 

"He never addresses how I am. It makes me think that he would give up on me, and I know the cycle. If he wants to give up on something, he accepts the reality of it and slowly drifts away until he is sure that he wants to end it. I'm scared, grandmother. I want to explain but I'm afraid he will brush it off and say that what I did didn't hurt him. I know I hurted him many times..."

 

Silence fell into the room for a few moments as Baekhyun reflected back on his behavior. He remembered the times where Chanyeol would fall silent and would wait for him to calm down before opening his arms and pulling him into an embrace. Baekhyun never understood whether or not Chanyeol was doing it to make him feel better because little did he know in the past, Chanyeol loved him too much to the point that he didn't want to hurt him if he confronted. It was a thought that suddenly became realization.

 

Ms. Seo lifted his chin up to wipe the fallen tears that escape his eyes. "He's quiet because he didn't want to hurt you when you hurt him. He wants you to figure it out yourself. He wants you to learn from your mistakes because you know better. You did mention to me that he hates getting into arguments with you because he doesn't want to disappoint you."

 

"He should though. It took me months to now realize it? It's pathetic," Baekhyun chuckled into his tears.

 

"It is something you both need to discuss about. Tell him you want him to voice his opinions because you need to hear it to make things work, yes?" The blonde nodded. "If you love him, which you do—" she said teasingly to lighten his mood, "then fix it."

 

The woman softly grabbed his arm and pulled him into a warm embrace. Baekhyun cradled her fragile body and buried his face on her shoulder to calm himself down. He was grateful for her to check up on him when he needed it the most. 

 

"Where did you say he was volunteering?" She asked while patting his back to soothe him.

 

Baekhyun slightly pulled away to look at her as she quickly wiped away more tears. "He is in the forest with students," he hiccupped.

 

Her concerned smile dropped after his answer and she crossed her arms abruptly. "Baekhyun, I need you to listen to me, okay?" She received a small nod. "Do you know why those messages never went to his phone?" Baekhyun shook his head. "He is in a forest."

 

"That doesn't do anything, grandmother. There is wifi there!"

 

"Have you messaged your other friends?"

 

"Yes, and their messages also didn't— on a second thought, I am sorry—"

 

"I love you, but let's go to sleep, hmm? I should go now!"

 

[bonus: one]

 

"Everyone is dismissed for lunch!" Jongdae cheered as the students cleared their tables and ran out of the cabin.

 

Once the group of students left to go to the cafeteria, Chanyeol and Jongdae slouched onto the couch near the desk and took a deep breath. If it wasn't Chanyeol suggesting to play competitive games, they wouldn't be as exhausted. In the lake area, Jungmyeon and Sehun were supervising the kids swimming. Sehun watched as Minseok, who came last minute, dive into the lake to cool off from the heat.

 

"Do you like anyone, Sehun?"

 

Sehun bashed his head to the elder with wide eyes. He shook his head immediately while waving his hands. "No, I don't like anymore."

 

"Yeah? How can someone as handsome as you be single?" Jungmyeon asked. "It's strange. Look at you!" He leaned over to cup his cheeks, causing Sehun to turn pink in a matter of seconds. "What girl does not want you?!"

 

GIRL? Sehun screamed internally. I LIKE YOU!  "Maybe because I'm too lanky?" He made up a fair excuse. He is anyway. To his surprise, Jungmyeon lifted up the hem of his shirt, flashing his subtle abs. Sehun yelped and quickly covered his tummy embarrassingly. 

 

"You're such a liar!" Jungmyeon laughed out loud before getting up and walking over the the lake. The younger sighed out loud before lying down on the picnic mat.

 

Walking out of the cabin behind him, Chanyeol stumbled out by accidentally hitting his forehead on the roof. The ledge was low enough for him to hit his head. He groaned as he rubbed his head before heading to the main cabin for a meeting. He got the sudden call from one of the staff members to interview a late volunteer. It's been two days, yet someone wants to volunteer for the remaining two more? It was strange to Chanyeol.

 

He reached the main cabin and was about to go inside until he heard someone yelling behind him. Chanyeol turned around and saw his tiny boyfriend with a book bag stuffed until it was full. Jongin and Kyungsoo opened the entrance door where Chanyeol was and closed it once they saw Baekhyun approaching Chanyeol.

 

"Baekhyun?" Chanyeol called out as he stepped down from the porch to meet up with the younger. "Why are you here? Your skin is going to easily burn. Let's go in the shade, yeah?"

 

"No." Baekhyun spat. "I will burn my delicate skin to apologize to you."

 

Chanyeol rose an eyebrow. "For what?" He asked with honest concern.

 

"Cut the crap, babe. You know what I am going to apologize for. Don't act like it's not affecting us negatively either!" The younger said as he tried to keep his emotions together.

 

"What do you think they are saying?" Jongin asked as Kyungsoo listened through the window inside of the cabin. "Is it bad?"

 

His boyfriend just shrugged. "Just know that they will settle and break some of the rules here. I bet my entire existence on it. Right, miss staff member?" The girl nodded her head.

 

Meanwhile, Sehun was watching as Jungmyeon played in the water with some kids before Minseok approached him with Jongdae. They both sat on either side of him and stared at him teasingly. Jongdae began poking at Sehun's cheek while Minseok kept staring.

 

"What do you two want?" Sehun spoke out.

 

"Wanna know a secret?" Minseok asked.

 

"We aren't kids, Minseok." Sehun spat.

 

"So you don't want to know what Jungmyeon thinks of you?" Jongdae teased.

 

"I think he is very cute!" All three sets of eyes stared up at the guy they were talking about and they looked down in embarrassment. Especially the two who were trying to hype Sehun up. "I'm not lying either," Jungmyeon said and walked away with his belongings to wash up in his cabin. Once he left, Minseok and Jongdae continued spilling the tea to the younger so that he understands. Jungmyeon, as he walked back to his room, felt relieved to finally understand his own feelings.

 

On his way, Jungmyeon spotted two people in the middle of the forest sitting on the ground. They were in front of the main cabin from where Jungmyeon was passing. He spotted Jongin and Kyungsoo with the volunteer shirts in their arms and, as if on cue, they turned and saw him. They quietly made their way to follow Jungmyeon, leaving the couple alone. Not even the girl inside of the main cabin was bothered by them sitting outside in the heat.

 

Baekhyun swatted the nth mosquito that tried to his blood as he listened to his boyfriend, who was close to tears. "I always wanted to confront you, but I didn't know how. I knew I would hurt you. I have never been mad at you in my entire life either. The thought of hurting you pains me, and you can say that I love you too much. I do anyway. I always had open opportunities, but you always lash out on me. So how could I confront you when you are always mad at me for the smallest reasons?"

 

The blonde nodded in agreement. "I understand. I really do, and I promise that won't happen again. I have missed you so much, and it was all my fault," Baekhyun sighed. "Chanyeol, let's not argue like this anymore. I promise I will not behave like this. Even I know how unhealthy this is on myself."

 

Chanyeol glanced at the smaller with glossy eyes before being cooed at and having his head snuggled against Baekhyun's chest. "I'm so sorry, Chanyeol. Don't cry, hm?" The younger began to pepper the elder's cheek with light kisses before being tickled onto the hot ground. The staff member cooed at the sight before reaching for her walkie talkie and turning it on.

 

"PARK CHANYEOL, STOP KISSING THE NEW VOLUNTEER. THAT IS STRIKE ONE."

 

[bonus: one]

 

It was finally the evening when Sehun had to face Jungmyeon back at his cabin. He was purposely avoiding the elder because he was too shy to face his crush and the fact that his crush likes him back. It was weird because... why him? Sehun took a deep breath before turning the handle of the cabin door, only for it to be opened and Jungmyeon was in front of him.

 

"O-Oh. Sehun, you're here—"

 

"I'm sleeping with Jongin tonight," he lied.

 

Jungmyeon widened his eyes. "Huh? He is sleeping with Baekhyun though? You know the rules—"

 

"I lied. Can we talk?" The younger asked as he pushed the elder back into the cabin. He closed the door behind him before being straightforward. "Why do you like me? How long? Why me?" He blabbered. 

 

The smaller only chuckled nervously as he rubbed his nape. He didn't expect his behavior to be like this at all. "Well, the day we started volunteering? I always liked you, but this time I feel sure about them. But—"

 

Sehun gasped dramatically and ran to his mattress falling face down. He clung onto the pillow as he kicked his legs screaming BUT? BUT!! continuously. Jungmyeon began to panic and ran to his body, patting him on the back to get up. Obviously none of them have been in this type of situation before.

 

"Sehun, listen! I am not ready yet, but I do want to be with you one day!" Jungmyeon confessed, watching Sehun relax. "I mean it too. College is a bit overwhelming right now, and it would be best for me to focus on it until I am in a better state of mind to be with you."

 

The younger turned his face to the side where Jungmyeon was, looking at him with wide eyes. He cursed himself for letting his emotions control him. "Uh— YEAH. I would like that too. Also, I liked you for awhile too. Also also, I am sorry for behaving like that. Also also also, I have never been confessed to by someone I also like, so..." Jungmyeon laughed in the midst of his explanation, causing him to blush. 

 

"I understand now. Are we good now?" The elder asked as he soothed Sehun's head.

 

With wide eyes, he nodded. "Will you wait for me?" Jungmyeon also asked. Sehun nodded once more, but this time, with a cute smile on his face.

 

After talking normally again and acting stupid for some time, the two left their cabins to go to the cookout by the lake with the other volunteers. Jungmyeon noticed that almost everyone was present, except for two obvious people. He began asking around for them and no one spotted them. He even used the walkie talkie, yet no response. Jongin came back with Kyungsoo from a boat ride and reported that they saw someone across the ocean at another campsite's territory. So what did Jungmyeon do? Terrorized Jongin with ghost stories for the boat and went to see who it was. He knew Jongin hated scary stereotypes.

 

He went to the middle of the lake and grabbed his binoculars to see who was on the other side. With sharp vision, he yelled out Chanyeol's name. "PARK CHANYEOL! YOU ARE NOT SLICK AT ALL!" Chanyeol quickly got off of Baekhyun, who was lying on his jacket on the ground, and pretended as if he was not just making out with him by the lake. "GET YOUR BACK HERE BEFORE WE GET IN TROUBLE!"

 

"HUH? HOW DID WE GET HERE?" Chanyeol hollared as he stretched his arms in the air as Baekhyun sat up with his eyes wide open. "BAEKHYUN AND I TOOK A NAP," he yelled. 

 

"I CAN SEE HOW LUSTFUL BAEKHYUN LOOKS. HURRY UP!"

 

"WHAT? I AM STILL A !" Baekhyun screamed before getting up and throwing Chanyeol's jacket at his boyfriend. "I'm leaving you!" Baekhyun stuck his tongue at Chanyeol and began moving the boat back into the lake with Chanyeol scrambling to not be left behind.

 

[bonus: one]