shorties: one

Too Far for Me

[shorties = short side stories of past and other members]

 

 

The bell rung at exactly twelve o'clock on a Wednesday afternoon. For once the bell is on time. Everyone was running out of their classroom and going to the lockers to get their lunches and heading to the cafeteria. Always being the last one out of math class, eleven-year-old Baekhyun walked out with a huge smile on his face with a paper against his chest. He quickly walked to his locker down the hall and placed the paper in between his mouth to unlock his combination. Once he unlocked it, he opened his locker and was faced with a brown paper bag inside of it. He placed his paper down inside the locker and took the brown paper bag and opened it. There was a sticky note inside of it with a bag of cookies.

 

I studied your combination when you opened it the other day. Now I can put stuff inside! Enjoy it, Baekhyun! -Yeol

 

Baekhyun sighed. There goes that same feeling in his heart going badum, badum, badum. It was weird. A little too weird. Baekhyun had a crush on his childhood friend, Chanyeol, since "forever." If someone would had to ask him, he really couldn't say an exact time. It'll always be, "Since the day I stared at him at the park. I do not remember!" He had always liked Chanyeol, but when he turned eleven he started to feeling different. Probably in a good way. Wrapping the bag up and taking the paper out again, he grabbed his lunch and close his locker to see currently thirteen-year-old Chanyeol standing right next to him. His growth spurt is completely taking over right now.

 

"Baekhyun! Did you see my note?" The chubby boy asked as he pushed his glasses up. The smaller nodded and waved the bag in front of his face. "Mom told me to give you some, but I thought I should give you all of my cookies! Eat them, okay?" The smaller nodded again, but this time his face was expressionless. Chanyeol cocked his head and frowned. "Why are you so quiet? Did you pass your math test?"

 

Soon Baekhyun slapped the test in his face and squealed, causing Chanyeol to get excited and catch the paper. He saw the big one hundred bolded in red and gasped. "As always, Baekhyun! I am proud of you!" He raised his arm up for a high five and Baekhyun slapped his hand.

 

"I was also named the math genius!" Baekhyun chirpped. Chanyeol smiled widely and patted the younger's head, which caused Baekhyun to stiffen. 

 

"You should go to lunch. I'm going to go to the art room to play with the hamster." Chanyeol suggested as he looked at his watch. "I'll see you later—" Right as he was about to scurry down to the end of the hallway to go to the third floor, Baekhyun grabbed his uniform sweater to stop him.

 

Once Chanyeol stopped and turned around, Baekhyun opened his mouth. "You've been skipping lunch. That's not good, Chanyeol." Lately Chanyeol has been skipping lunch to play with the hamster, but Baekhyun knew something was wrong. His heart began to beat faster, which made him nervous. "Don't play with the hamster. Sit with me."

 

Chanyeol blinked and looked at his watch again. "But I'm fat—"

 

"NO! I like you like this so come and sit with me!" Baekhyun huffed out. He crossed his arms with the bag of cookies clutched against his chest and faced away from the elder. Chanyeol, being the sweetheart that he is, sighed and extended his hand out. The younger looked at him with a questionable stare and Chanyeol sighed. "What?" Baekhyun asked.

 

"If you want me to sit with you, I need you to take me there." Chanyeol replied as he put Baekhyun's test under his arm.

 

"Walk behind me and that's it." Baekhyun said.

 

"Hold my hand, Baek."

 

The taller grabbed the brown paper bag and took Baekhyun's hand, dragging him downstairs to the cafeteria now. "Don't worry, Baek! I won't be insecure anymore, okay? Now smile for me!" Baekhyun didn't know if it was the luck of his birth month or if this was what "love" is based on what his mom had told him, but whatever it was, he needed it to keep going. He flashed a small smile and Chanyeol cooed as he pinched the smaller's cheek. Yeah, keep going.

 

[shorties]