Dialogues and Introductions

Outside Forces

Story and cover art created by Kyren_Rayne on AsianFanfics.

Permission has not been given to post elsewhere.

 

Spoiler- Rina’s art teacher (mentioned up to this point as Dr. Choi) is Choi Minho lol. I didn’t feel like having to find a way to casually mention that within the story, so I just thought I’d clarify really quick. Sorry for being lazy owo.

-

Despite all of Suyeon’s hard work, her plans to have Lucy move in with her and Elly had fallen through.

Instead of doing the logical thing and having Lucy move to her own dorm with another freshman Alpha though, it had been decided that Lucy would move in with Elly, while Suyeon would be forced to go to a new room with a new roommate.

She assumed that the Alpha board had caught wind of all of the drama surrounding Elly and Lucy, and this was their ridiculous attempt at trying to nip the issue in the bud.

They couldn’t have an A1 Alpha like Lucy bogged down by scandal, now could they?

It was almost like one of those children’s shows where two characters would get handcuffed together in order to make them become friends.

Stupid and unrealistic.

Both the shows and the university’s plan.

Suyeon was grateful that both girls were Alphas, meaning that their dorm would at least have separate bedrooms.

That meant Lucy could keep Elly’s anger off of her sometimes.

The other factions weren’t as lucky, Beta and Omega roommates being forced to sleep in a single room.

It had been a little over a week since Lucy had moved into the dorms, and about two since her party.

Normally this week would have been a nightmare full of Elly throwing a fit about having to room with Lucy, but the elder girl had been too busy moping about Rina to care about anything else.

She hadn’t gone to any classes or events since the incident.

Honestly, she hadn’t really even left her room.

On one hand, Lucy kind of appreciated that she had some time to settle into her new living arrangement without having Elly constantly towering over her, attempting to find a way to get rid of her.

On the other hand though, Lucy was still Lucy.

Just like Suyeon, she didn’t have to be friends with someone to care about them.

She cared about everyone and hated seeing Elly in a bad situation.

“Hey,” Lucy opened the door to Elly’s bedroom, not bothering to knock because she knew her elder wouldn’t respond anyway, “I wanted to check in on you. Suyeon’s been worried about you…”

The redhead was sitting at her desk, her head down on top of her laptop.

She simply gave a halfhearted hum in response.

“Look, I know you hate me for some reason, but I wanted to give you some advice that I’ve heard Suyeon mention before. You don’t even have to listen if you don’t want to,” Lucy took a single step closer to Elly, “I get that you’re torn up about Rina, but just sitting around in your room isn’t going to fix anything. If you don’t even try reaching out to her, she’s going to think that you don’t care about her anymore and she really will move on. She may not answer, but I know that hearing from you would go a long way towards fixing things.”

Lucy waited for a moment, hoping for a reply, but when she got none, she sighed and backed out of the room.

“I’m going out for the evening, so you’ll have the dorm to yourself if you want.”

With that, Lucy closed the bedroom door and headed downstairs.

Elly laid still, the younger Alpha’s words bouncing around relentlessly in her mind.

She’d hate to admit that Lucy was right, but she’d hate losing Rina even more.

Tossing her head back, she released a puff of air from .

Time to put on your big girl pants, Elly.

She slipped her cell phone from her pocket and stared down at her reflection in the black screen, trying to work up the courage to unlock it and call Rina.

“Would she even want to hear from me?” Elly questioned, her finger hovering over the power button of her phone.

Pushing the worry from her mind, she typed in her pin and opened her contact list.

When she reached Rina’s number, her head started spinning.

The little heart emoji by the Omega’s name seemed so out of place now.

Not able to bare looking at the picture anymore, Elly hurriedly pressed the call button and moved the phone to her ear.

One ring.

Two rings.

Three rings.

Four rings.

If Rina was going to answer, she would have picked up by now.

Just as Elly was about to admit defeat, the ringing stopped.

“Hello…” the Omega practically whispered.

“Rina,” Try as she might, Elly couldn’t contain the sound of relief in her voice, beyond thrilled to finally hear Rina’s voice again.

Silence passed between the phones, both girls simply relishing the presence of the other.

“How have you been?” Elly’s voice wavered.

“I’ve been better,” Rina chuckled dryly, “What about you?”

The Alpha didn’t miss a beat, “I miss you.”

Another moment of silence.

“I miss you, too…”

Elly’s heart skipped.

“This is probably the longest we’ve gone without seeing each other since we started dating, huh?”

The empty laugh she let out vibrated painfully in her chest.

“Yeah…You’re right,” Rina hesitated, “Elly look,” Elly felt herself physically deflate upon hearing the other girl’s tone, “Like I said, I miss you. God, do I miss you. But I’m standing my ground on this. You need to work on yourself before we figure out what we’re going to do.”

“Rina, I-”

“I need you to show me that my opinion matters to you. Show me that you are willing to put me ahead of your little Alpha games,” Rina continued before Elly could respond, “I…I have to go. I have class soon. Bye, Elly.”

There was a click and then silence.

They had been dating for quite some time- Elly knew Rina’s schedule.

She didn’t have any classes that day…

-

Because Suyeon was a junior, the board had a bit of difficulty finding her another roommate after she was forced to leave Elly.

The majority of Alphas in her grade already had their own roommates.

She had waited a whole week before the dean had given her a new dorm number.

Lucy’s parents were grateful for everything she had done for their daughter thus far and had no qualms about letting Suyeon stay at their house until everything had been sorted out, so truthfully the week wasn’t that terrible.

But the girl was definitely relieved to finally have her own space again.

She had already moved all of her boxes into her new dorm, though she hadn’t had the opportunity to meet her new roommate yet.

Suyeon assumed that it was probably because the other Alpha was busy with her own classes.

When she returned to the dorm after one of her morning classes, she could hear singing coming from her bedroom.

Which was definitely a little weird.

Despite assuming it was just her roommate, she still entered the room hesitantly in case the noise ended up being an intruder who was bad at their job.

Suyeon stood in the doorway of her bedroom, watching as a girl with dark brown, shoulder length hair fiddled with something on her desk.

“Um, excuse me,” Suyeon stated sternly.

The other girl startled, her singing halting immediately as she whipped around to face Suyeon.

She placed her palm against her chest and took in a deep breath as she tried to steady herself.

“You must be Suyeon,” the words came evenly from , the girl having already managed to calm down.

Suyeon stepped closer to the girl, reaching a hand out to her.

“That I am,” she gave a short nod, “Which means you must be my roommate. They didn’t give me much information on you, so I don’t actually know your name. Sorry.”

The other Alpha’s face brightened as she smiled warmly at Suyeon.

Still smiling, she confidently stepped up to Suyeon and took her hand.

“Haseul Jo, but you can just call me Haseul.”

As they shook hands, Suyeon couldn’t help but observe the girl a bit more closely.

She didn’t really seem like an Alpha.

She was bright, friendly, feminine, and smiled a lot.

Her personality was a bit more fitting of an Omega.

But judging from her firm handshake, Suyeon could tell that she was a bit like Elly.

More of a hidden Alpha.

When they dropped their arms back down to their sides, there was a moment of silence.

Suyeon wasn’t sure what to say, obviously still a little confused as to why Haseul had yet to leave her room as well as why she had been in her room in the first place.

As if able to hear Suyeon’s thoughts, Haseul clapped her hands.

“Oh, I forgot!” she stepped to the side and motioned towards Suyeon’s desk, “I was just leaving a little welcome basket for you. It’s mostly just some random stuff that my friends helped me pick out,” next she pointed to a card that was affixed to the gifts, “And this is a list of contact information for myself as well as some other important people, like the floor supervisor and campus security.”

Suyeon chuckled, “Let me guess. You’re the mom friend, right?”

Haseul hesitated, suddenly looking a bit deflated.

However, she quickly recovered, putting on another smile as she nodded happily towards Suyeon.

“Yep. It kind of makes me look like a loser of an Alpha, but I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

A gentle smile found its way to Suyeon’s face.

“Yeah, I completely understand…”

Another brief moment of silence.

“Well, Suyeon,” Haseul finally stepped past the elder girl to exit the room, “It was nice meeting you. I hope you feel comfortable here and if you need anything, just let me know.”

“Thanks. The same goes for you.”

As Haseul left, she shut the door behind her.

Add courteous to the list of her not so Alpha-y traits.

After a quick glance around her new room, Suyeon decided that she’d check out Haseul’s gift basket before beginning to unpack.

She settled down in her desk chair, removing the card first.

‘Nice to meet you!’ was written at the top, followed by a list of phone numbers and emails, and finally Haseul’s signature.

Sure, they had just met, but Suyeon had a feeling that she and Haseul were going to get along pretty well.

And her Alpha instincts were rarely wrong.

-

Despite it having been a couple of weeks since the night they kissed in Lucy’s car, she and Sei had only met up once since then- today making the second.

Lucy thought it was because Sei was nervous to be around her.

Maybe she’d overstepped that night and, being an Omega, Sei was too shy to tell her that she didn't want to hang out anymore.

Lucy had decided to try her best to be calm and encouraging when around Sei, hiding her normal Alpha energy in an attempt to put as little pressure on Sei as possible.

She really liked Sei- obviously- and she definitely didn't want to scare her off by coming on too strong.

As Lucy parked in front of the Omega dorms, she could feel her heart speed up.

She wasn’t nervous, but rather excited to see her elder.

She shot off a quick text to Sei to inform her that she was outside.

Within seconds the Omega came walking out of the building and towards Lucy’s car.

Sei had definitely been waiting for her.

That was a good sign.

Lucy hurried out of her car and to the passenger’s side, opening the door for her guest.

When Sei reached Lucy, she smiled, a tinge of pink present on her cheeks.

“Thank you,” her words came out as a breathy giggle as she slipped into the vehicle.

Lucy smiled to herself as she shut the door and returned to her spot on the other side of the car.

“Hey,” the Alpha said casually, turning to face Sei.

“Hi.”

Lucy paused, trying hard to remember the advice Suyeon had given to her that night after her party.

“Alphas can be intimidating even when they’re not trying to, especially in the eyes of Omegas. Try your best not to come on too strong, but don’t back off entirely. Sometimes Omegas are too shy to share their feelings and need a little encouragement. Just don’t push her.”

“I appreciate you, uh, wanting to meet up again today,” she was speaking slower than usual, attempting to phrase everything in a manner that showed Sei that she wasn’t trying to make her do anything that she wasn’t comfortable with, “Was there anything in particular that you wanted to do together?”

Lucy immediately panicked.

No, wait.

She definitely shouldn’t have added the word ‘together’.

Had the question come out too suggestively?

Would Sei be offended and already want to leave?

Either genuinely not noticing Lucy’s stressed demeanor, or choosing not to acknowledge it, Sei let out a soft chuckle.

“What, you didn’t plan anything for our date?”

When the Alpha’s face visibly paled, Sei quickly bumped her shoulder against the younger girl’s and giggled.

“I’m kidding,” she tilted her head gently to the side and smiled brightly towards Lucy, “We can do whatever you want. I’m just happy to finally see you again.”

-

Elly had decided to go the gym to think over Rina's words.

She always felt at peace there.

Like she could release the Alpha energy that she tried so hard to bottle up.

Not that she was particularly good at that...

She had spent nearly three hours silently alternating between running, boxing, and weight lifting.

On her last set of reps on the weight bench, someone stepped in front of her, stealing her attention away from the ceiling tile she had been blankly staring at.

“Hey ya, Jung. Been a while since I’ve seen you push yourself this hard.”

Elly set her barbell into its holster above her on the bench, still keeping her hands around it though.

“Eunbi Kwon,” the younger Alpha gave a short nod, “I’ve been busy with other things...But I was getting weak.”

The darker haired girl let out a deep chuckle as she crossed her arms.

“Elly Jung admitting she’s weak? The world must be coming to an end.”

Elly rolled her eyes, picking up the weight and beginning to do a few more slow reps.

“Or,” Eunbi moved to stand behind Elly’s bench, pressing her hands roughly down onto the bar, “Maybe it’s got something to do with that Omega of yours?”

Elly staggered a bit as she pushed upward against her elder’s weight.

“What are you-”

“Word gets around pretty quick on campus. I heard all about your little incident with Rina at that freshman party,” she leaned down to put even more pressure on Elly.

“I’m not looking for a fight right now, okay, Eunbi? I'm just trying to get my mind off things.”

Despite her calm demeanor, there was a strong fire behind Elly's eyes.

And Eunbi could see it.

“You’re an Alpha. You shouldn't have to go crawling back to an Omega, ya know.”

Normally Elly would've kicked Eunbi's for suggesting they were better than Rina.

But this time she used all of her willpower to refrain.

She was trying to behave.

For Rina.

“It pisses you off to think of her now, right? You’re mad that she left you- that she thinks you need to change, yeah?”

Elly could feel the adrenaline rushing through her veins as she tightened her grip on the bar she was holding.

Eunbi knew exactly what she was doing.

“Show her she’s wrong. That you're just behaving like an Alpha. Make her sorry. Make her jealous.”

Elly easily straightened her arms to fully lift the weight above her, letting out a strained growl as she did so.

A smirk rose to Eunbi’s face as she watched the younger girl bare her fangs.

She finally dropped her arms back to her sides, leaving Elly to set the weight back down.

“You did good,” her eyes drifted a bit lower, taking note of how hard Elly's chest was heaving now, “Let me get you some water.”

Elly sat up slowly as she watched Eunbi walk to the desk at the front of the gym.

Moving her hands to grip roughly at her knees, she let out a hot puff of air.

She could feel her entire body shaking.

She’d actually managed to keep her Alpha instincts at bay.

“,” she sighed as she closed her eyes.

It shouldn’t have been so hard.

For the first time in her life Elly felt cursed by her Alpha title.

“The damn gym store's outta bottled water right now,” Eunbi slapped a palm against Elly's sweat dampened back, startling her slightly, “How about we go grab a smoothie together? My treat.”

“That,” Elly reached her hand out to Eunbi who grabbed it and helped her stand, “Would actually be great.”

Truthfully, Elly hadn’t been eating much since her fight with Rina.

She probably wasn’t feeling weak from a lack of working out, but rather a lack of calories.

It was practically a miracle that she’d been able to exercise for so long without passing out.

Though a smoothie wouldn’t solve all of her problems, it would definitely be a good start.

“Awesome. You walk here or?”

“Yeah,” Elly was still working on catching her breath, “Felt like jogging.”

“Of course you did.”

The elder Alpha led Elly out to her car before heading to a smoothie bar.

They grabbed their drinks quickly, deciding to head to Eunbi’s and chill for a while.

The pair had made casual conversation while driving, but when they reached the Alpha dorms, Elly couldn’t remember a word of it.

She was still focusing on controlling herself.

She had done it once, surprisingly, and was determined to continue.

For Rina.

Even that second of letting Eunbi get in her head back at the gym was too much.

“Welcome to my humble abode,” Eunbi chuckled as she opened the door to her suite.

When Elly walked in, she quirked an eyebrow.

Suyeon.

Her scent was lurking in the dorm.

It was faint, but definitely there.

“Been a while since Suyeon and I have hung out with you, huh?” The younger girl questioned casually.

Eunbi hesitated and Elly knew she’d caught her.

“Yeah, it has been,” she took a sip of her smoothie, “How’s she been?”

The three of them had hung out a lot when they were freshmen since they'd all been at the same sorting ceremony.

It was more of an obligatory friendship.

As they all went their own way for their majors though, Eunbi had kind of been separated from the other two.

“Good. She’s been good,” Elly plopped down onto the couch, “Though I’m sure I’ve been making things more difficult for her.”

“Hey, look at you finally being the bigger man,” she joined the younger girl, “By the way, sorry about what I said about Rina at the gym. Was just trying to get you pumped.”

Elly’s smoothie suddenly felt thick in as she choked it down.

“I uh-”

“Look,” the elder girl shifted in her seat so that she could face Elly, “Let me be honest with you. Part of being an Alpha is taking care of your Omega. I know it’s an old-fashioned view, but that’s just how things are. Honestly having a beautiful, happy Omega on your arm does better for an Alpha image than acting tough.”

“Then why did people still disrespect me even when I was with Rina?”

“Maybe because you throw temper tantrums like a five-year-old? There’s a difference between being tough and being a jerk,” Eunbi bumped her shoulder against Elly’s, “Anyway, I know you really love Rina and Alphas are kind of expected to date Omegas, but you should really try out other Alphas. Way less drama.”

Elly squeezed her cup tighter, crushing its sides a bit.

“I’m not giving up on Rina.”

“Okay, okay. That’s fair…But just keep it in mind.”

-

The following day, Rina thankfully had her favorite art class.

She had been hoping that it would give her a nice distraction from sulking about Elly.

But she was wrong.

She had spent the entire hour and forty-five minutes of the lecture just blankly staring at a new piece that she had begun right after her and Elly’s fight.

A somewhat generic sketch of two faceless bodies that had grown almost grossly intertwined attempting to pull apart.

Rina had been focused on the painful way their fingers seemed to claw at their surroundings as they struggled to tear away from each other.

Despite their break being her own idea, she couldn’t hide that she missed Elly.

It was evident in her art.

Her actions.

Her expressions.

And clearly Rina’s uncharacteristic behavior was noticeable to others because as everyone was exiting the art room to head to their next classes, Dr. Choi stopped her before she could leave.

“Rina,” her instructor placed a careful hand on her shoulder, “I can tell something’s off. Would you like to talk about it?”

Rina was hesitant to open up, but she was rather close with Dr. Choi, having been in numerous of his courses throughout her academic career.

He had been the one who encouraged her to submit some of her work to Damien’s upcoming gallery after all.

Plus, he was a very kind, knowledgeable man, and she could truthfully really use some advice.

“It’s Elly…”

“Ah,” the man let out a knowing sigh, “The girl from your painting, I presume.”

“Yes, she’s my girlfriend. Has been for a while now. But,” her voice shifted to a softer volume, “We’re taking a break right now. It’s because of-”

“The incident at that off-campus party?” Rina nodded slowly, “All of the staff know about it. The Alpha dean has his eyes on the young girl whose party it was- says she has a lot of potential- so when he found out about the drama, word got around pretty quick.”

“It just really got to me that night. She’s always so aggressive for no reason. I always put up with it, but there was something different about the way she was acting that night…” Rina sighed, “Do you think I’m in the wrong, Dr. Choi? I could really use an outside opinion.”

“Well,” he leaned back against his desk and crossed his arms, “I don’t think there’s ever a right or wrong in relationships. Just two different opinions. And in order for a relationship to work, you don’t have to always agree, but it is important to compromise. That doesn’t mean one of you has to settle for silently being unhappy to keep the other happy. It just means that you have to work hard to find something that can make you both happy.”

“But what if we can’t find a common ground?” Rina paused, shifting her eyes to the floor, “What if we can’t both be happy?”

“Hm,” Dr. Choi shook his head, “I guess if that’s the conclusion that you reach then that’s that. You never need a reason to do something if you feel that it’s what’s right for you. Your life is far from over, Rina. Even if you’re not meant to be with Elly, it’s no one’s fault and it’s okay for you to move on. Though,” he pushed away from his desk in order to stand at his full height, now towering over Rina, “It’s always good to try one last time before giving up on something that you truly care about.”

-

Yoojung was walking back to her dorm after one of her classes, listening to music and focusing on the sky.

It was a particularly sunny day and something about the warm weather reminded her of Lua.

The other Beta was generally a bit of a gloomy individual, making her personality rather chill and similar to Yoojung’s own.

However, after the heart-to-heart the pair had at that Alpha party, Yoojung had definitely noticed a change in her friend’s disposition.

Lua had seemed more talkative, more willing to interact with others, and overall more positive.

Yoojung found herself smiling at the thought of Lua being happier.

Distracted by thoughts of her friend, Yoojung was startled when she felt someone tap her shoulder.

Her stride stopped quickly as she turned, immediately quirking an eyebrow in irritation.

In front of her was a brown-haired girl, smiling confidently.

Yoojung’s eyes had to trail higher to meet the other girl’s, as she stood a good six inches taller than Yoojung, despite being slightly hunched.

She gave a small wave causing Yoojung to impatiently pull her earbuds from her ears.

“Yes?” She questioned, genuinely confused as to why this random person would be stopping her.

“What can you hold without ever touching?”

Yoojung’s jaw dropped slightly as she tried to comprehend what was happening, “I’m sorry, what?”

“A conversation,” the taller girl straightened her posture and smiled brightly, “I’m Doyeon,” she stretched a hand out to Yoojung.

When the Beta hesitated in taking her hand, she retracted.

“Not a fan of jokes?”

“I’m sorry, but what exactly can I help you with?” Yoojung questioned, once again feeling a bit irritated by the odd situation.

“Well, I saw you at a house party a couple weeks ago, but didn’t want to bother you then since you were with your girlfriend the whole night,” she chuckled, “Anyway, when I saw you walking just now, I took it as a sign that I should go talk to you. One of my friends said she has a lab with you and-”

Yoojung put a hand up, motioning for her to be quiet.

Taking the hint, the taller girl’s words came to a pause.

“My girlfriend?”

“Uh, yeah,” she nodded matter-of-factly as if confirming her memory of that night, “That other short brunette you were with,” Doyeon paused, “Well, short, but still taller than you…”

Realizing that Doyeon was talking about Lua, Yoojung couldn’t help but roll her eyes.

“She’s just one of my friends.”

“Oh, but,” Doyeon raised an eyebrow, “I saw you two, ya know…kiss.”

Her last word was punctuated with a shrug causing Yoojung to let out a breathy laugh.

“Definitely just friends.”

“Oh,” Doyeon repeated as a smile returned to her face, “Well either way, my friend said she has a lab with you and that she thinks our personalities are similar and that we’d make good friends, so I just wanted to ask if you wanted to maybe hang out sometime and see if she’s right.”

Being the social Beta that she was, Yoojung was never one to deny an opportunity to make new friends, especially if it meant she could promote the A.B.O. relations club to someone that wasn’t Lua.

She shrugged, giving a brief smile.

“I just finished my last class for the morning. Wanna go grab a coffee or something?”

Doyeon excitedly grabbed the straps of her backpack, which hung loosely over her feminine shoulders, and nodded.

The two easily fell into stride beside each other as they headed towards a campus café.

“I’m Yoojung, by the way.”

-

So…This chapter is a bit half-baked because I couldn’t get things worded exactly how I wanted to, but I didn’t want to keep you guys waiting any longer lol. Hope you still enjoyed it.

Not sure when the next update is going to be because I think I’ve sort of fallen out of writing fanfiction. Who knows though, I may come back ¯\_()_/¯

Thanks for reading, and for sticking around with me for so long!