Three

Something About Us

 

The next morning, Rowoon comes pick Seo Yoon up. She gives her mother a goodbye hug.

Rowoon is putting her luggage into his trunk.

"I promise I'll take care of your daughter for you," Rowoon assures her mother. "We'll come visit with the baby."

Her mom nods her head.

Rowoon and Seo Yoon climb into his car, and he drives away. On the way to his house, the two of them don’t talk to each other. Seo Yoon has her back toward Rowoon. 

The silence is too awkward for Rowoon.

“How far along are you,” Rowoon asks.

Seo Yoon fixes the way she sits and looks in front of her. 

“Two months,” she replies.

He nods his head. “I see.”

At home, Rowoon shows Seo Yoon around before he shows her her bedroom. 

“You can sleep in here,” Rowoon says. “My bedroom is two doors down. Call me if you ever need anything and feel free to roam about the house like it’s your own home.”

“Thank you,” Seo Yoon says. “Also, I’m sorry.”

“Why are you sorry? It’s my fault.”

Seo Yoon shakes her head. “It’s my fault.”

“It’s our fault. I’ll take full responsibility. If you need or crave anything, tell me and I’ll get it for you right away.” He pulls out his phone from his shirt pocket. “Give me your phone number, and I’ll give you mine. Call me anytime.”

They exchange phone numbers.

“My phone will be open all the time,” Rowoon tells her. 

She nods her head. “Thank you,” she says.

“This is embarrassing,” Rowoon says. “But I don’t know your name.”

“Yoon Seo Yoon.”

“Yoon Seo Yoon. I’m Kim Rowoon.”

“I know.”

“Right. Because of the hotel incident.”

Awkward silence.

“Go ahead and unpack,” he says.

She nods her head.

Rowoon walks away.

Seo Yoon starts unpacking. Once she is done, she exits the bedroom. She heads downstairs to the living room, but Rowoon isn’t there. She turns her head to the kitchen and sees Rowoon mixing something in a bowl. She’s also noticed that he’s changed out from his suit

“What are you doing,” she asks him.

He lifts up his head. “I’m making lunch,” he replies. “Did you eat yet?”

Seo Yoon shakes her head. 

“Go ahead and sit at the island,” he says. “I’m almost done.”

Seo Yoon sits at the island. 

Rowoon brings the bowl over to the island and sets it in front of Seo Yoon.

She smells the food and turns her head. Seo Yoon covers her nose with her hand.

Rowoon notices. “What’s wrong,” he asks.

“The smell is making me feel nauseous,” Seo Yoon says.

Rowoon quickly removes the bowl. “Sorry,” he says. 

Seo Yoon removes her hand. 

“Is there anything else you want to eat,” he asks. “Tell me, and I’ll get it for you.”

Seo Yoon thinks. “Tteokbokki,” she replies. “But not the spicy one. I don’t like eating spicy food.”

“Okay. You stay home. I’ll go buy some tteokbokki for you.”

 

Rowoon returns and serves her the tteokbokki. 

“Thank you,” Seo Yoon says. “For going through all the trouble.”

“Not a problem,” Rowoon replies. “Enjoy.”

Seo Yoon takes a bite and smiles.

Rowoon grabs the bowl of food he made earlier. 

“Is it okay for me to eat with you,” he asks.

She nods her head. “That’s fine,” she replies. 

Rowoon sits across from her and starts eating. He looks at Seo Yoon eating happily.

“This is the first time you’ve smiled since you’ve been here,” Rowoon says. “Food is so powerful.”

After they finish eating, Rowoon is cleaning up the kitchen. 

“Do you need any help,” Seo Yoon asks.

“No, thank you,” Rowoon replies. “It’s not a lot. You can go sit on the couch. I’ll join you afterwards.”

Seo Yoon makes her way to the couch and sits on the edge.

Rowoon joins her afterwards when he is done cleaning the kitchen. He grabs the controller that is sitting on the coffee table and starts surfing through the channel.

“Do you want to watch anything,” he asks.

“No,” she replies. “I can just watch whatever you put on.”

“Is there something you like to watch? Perhaps a drama or a variety show.”

“I like watching Running Man.”

“Me too,” he says. “Kim Jong Kook is my role model. I wish to be as strong as him one day.”

“I like him too. He’s very funny.”

Rowoon stops when a rerun of Running Man is showing. 

The two of them laugh when the members start tripping and telling jokes. Then, a commercial comes on.

“Seo Yoon,” Rowoon starts. “Is your boyfriend mad that you have to marry me?”

“No,” Seo Yoon replies sadly. “We broke up already. We broke up after the accident.”

“Did you tell him what happened?”

Seo Yoon shakes her head. “I couldn’t explain myself. He broke up with me first.”

“Why?”

“I don’t know. He never told me the reason.”

“I’m sorry.”

Seo Yoon shakes her head. “What about you,” she asks. “Was your girlfriend mad when she found out about that night?”

“She was pretty mad.”

“What did you do to calm her down?”

“I planned another trip for her.”

Seo Yoon nods her head. “Why didn’t she go to the first trip?”

“She’s a model. She got called in on the last minute, so she couldn’t say no.”

“Ahh. I see. What’s her name?”

“Oh Seyeon.”

“Oh Seyeon? I love her. She’s so beautiful.”

“She’ll be happy to hear that.”

“Are you two still dating?”

“Yes.”

“Does she know about our marriage?”

“Yes, and she’s not happy about it.”

“I feel so bad for her.”

“It’s okay. I explained it to her already.”

“Are you planning to continue dating her?”

“I would be a bad guy if I say yes.”

“But you love her, and you want to be with her. I’m just a person who’s carrying your baby.”

“That may be true, but you’re my priority since you have my baby.”

Running Man comes on again, and their attention goes to the tv. 

That night, Seo Yoon is lying in bed. The bedroom is as big as her old living room. It’s so spacious that it makes her feel cold. She snuggles inside the blanket and closes her eyes, hoping to fall asleep.

The next morning, Seo Yoon walks into the kitchen and sees Rowoon making breakfast.

“Good morning,” he greets her.

“Good morning,” she greets back. 

“Breakfast is waiting for you.”

Seo Yoon sits at the island table.

“Is a sandwich okay,” he asks.

She nods her head. Seo Yoon takes a bite.

Rowoon joins her on the island. 

“Is it good,” he asks.

She nods her head.

“The fridge is filled with food,” he tells her. “You can make whatever you want for lunch and dinner.”

“Are you going somewhere today,” she asks.

“I have to go to work. I took yesterday off to come pick you up.”

“What type of work do you do?”

“I’m the president to the mall you and mom was at yesterday.”

“That was your mall?”

Rowoon nods his head.

“I’m so sorry,” Seo Yoon apologizes. “My mom caused a commotion at your store yesterday.”

“No don’t apologize. I deserved that.”

He looks at the time.

“I have to get going,” he says. “If anything happens, call me.”

Seo Yoon nods her head.

Rowoon leaves, and now Seo Yoon is all alone.

After she is done eating, she cleans up after herself. Now, she doesn’t know what to do. The house is very big, but it’s very cold.

“How can he live like this,” she asks herself. “Or does Seyoon come visit him often?”

Rowoon walks into his office, and he is greeted by the man who was with him at the mall.

“What’s the plan today,” Rowoon asks him.

“You have a meeting right away this morning,” he says. “Then, at 2 o’clock, you have a lunch meeting with our partner.”

“Is that all?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Cool. Let’s go, secretary Kim.”

After the meeting, Rowoon and secretary Kim are in Rowoon’s office. Secretary Kim is sitting on the couch in front of Rowoon’s desk. He is on his phone. 

Rowoon, on the other hand, is on his laptop. He is typing something and scrolling.

“Boss,” secretary Kim says. “What are you doing?”

“My next meeting isn’t until 2,” Rowoon says. “So I’m doing research.”

“What kind of research?” He stands up and walks over to Rowoon. He looks at Rowoon’s laptop. “Ahh,” he says. “How to take care of your pregnant wife. You’re so dedicated to her.”

“This is my first time,” Rowoon says. “So I thought I should do some research.”

“I understand, but wouldn’t it be wise to take her to the hospital first? You said she’s two months pregnant. Did she even visit the hospital yet?”

Rowoon stops scrolling. “You’re right. We have to go to the hospital.” He picks up his cellphone that is sitting on the desk and dials for his doctor. “Hello, this is Kim Rowoon. I would like to set up an appointment.”

After that is done, Rowoon continues to do some research.

Secretary Kim has gone to his office.

Rowoon finds an article and starts reading it.

“A pregnant woman will crave for food,” Rowoon reads. “So be sure to have your fridge stacked with her favorite food and snacks.” Rowoon picks up his phone. “I should know her favorite food and snacks,” he talks to himself. Rowoon starts texting Seo Yoon. “Will you tell me your favorite foods and snacks?”

Seo Yoon is sitting on the back porch enjoying the weather, and she receives Rowoon’s text. She reads it and starts texting him back her favorite foods and snacks.

Rowoon receives the text. He reads down the list and smiles.

After his meeting at 2, he doesn’t go back to his office.

“Where are you going,” secretary Kim asks. “To the store.”

Rowoon is walking back to his car, and secretary Kim is following him.

“I can go in your place, boss,” secretary Kim says. “Just tell me what you need.”

“It’s okay. I can go,” Rowoon replies. He unlocks his car with his key. “It’s not for me. It’s for my wife.” He smiles at secretary Kim. “You’re good for today, secretary Kim.” Rowoon climbs into his car and starts his car before he drives off. 

Rowoon’s cart is full of Seo Yoon’s favorite foods and snacks, and when he enters his house, his arms are full of bags. He looks around and Seo Yoon isn’t in the living room or the kitchen.

“Seo Yoon,” Rowoon calls. “Seo Yoon!”

“Yes,” Seo Yoon answers from the top of the stairs. She sees Rowoon carrying the bags. Seo Yoon hurries down the stairs to help him.

“No,” Rowoon says. “Don’t run down the stairs.”

But she had already made it over to him.

“Why not,” she asks.

“I don’t want you and the baby to be hurt,” he replies.

Seo Yoon smiles. “Don’t worry, the baby and I will be fine.”

“I read an article saying that walking up and down the stairs at an early stage of pregnancy can cause a miscarriage if not careful.”

“You did some research?”

“Of course.” 

“Let me help you.” She reaches over to help Rowoon with the bags, but he turns away from her.

“I’ll carry them,” he says.

Rowoon walks over to the island table and sets all the bags there.

“I read another article saying that a pregnant woman carrying heavy things can cause a misscarriage too,” he says. “Unless the doctor says so.”

“When did you read all these articles,” she asks. She follows him to the island.

“I had a lot of time in between meetings today.”

“What did you buy,” she asks. “It’s so much.”

“I read another article saying that husbands should stock up on his wives favorite foods, so I went out and bought you your favorite foods and snacks. Now you can eat them whenever you want.”

“Thank you.”

“You’re welcome. If I missed anything, or you want anything else, you can just tell me okay?” He starts to put everything away.

She nods her head.

“Oh,” he continues. “Did you ever get a hospital check up?”

“I went with my mom once,” she replies.

“Alright. We have another check up tomorrow. It’s at eight in the morning.”

“Okay.”

“Did you eat dinner yet,” he asks.

"I ate," she replies. "I made you something too."

"Thank you."

After Rowoon finishes putting the food and snacks away, he eats the food that Seo Yoon made.

"Is it to your liking," she asks.

"It's not bad," he replies. "Next time, add some water to it. It's a little dry."

"Ahh. Okay. I got it."

"Did you cook a lot when you lived with your mom?"

Seo Yoon shakes her head. "She did most of the cooking, but I do know how to cook simple things. By the way, do your parents know about us?"

"They do. They're very happy and excited to see you. We'll go visit them when we have the time."

Seo Yoon nods her head.

After Rowoon finishes eating, he washes his dish and puts it away. When he turns around, he sees Seo Yoon about to go up the stairs. 

"Wait," Rowoon calls. He rushes over to her and stops her from going up the stairs. "I'm going to restrict you from climbing the stairs. You'll sleep down here from now on, but I'll also sleep here with you."

"You have bedrooms down here?"

"Just one."

"We'll sleep together?"

"I'll take the ground of course. Stay here. I'll go bring your belongings down.” He runs upstairs and transfers her belongings and his belongings to the one bedroom downstairs. This took a while since he wouldn’t let Seo Yoon help.