Four

Something About Us

Seo Yoon is lying in bed while Rowoon is lying on the ground. Seo Yoon is staring at the ceiling.

“Are you asleep,” Seo Yoon asks.

“No,” Rowoon replies. He is also staring at the ceiling. 

“Is it uncomfortable down there?”

“It’s okay,” he replies. 

“I feel bad for making you sleep down there.”

“It’s okay. Get some sleep.” He closes his eyes.

Seo Yoon closes her eyes as well. 

 

The two of them go to the hospital the next day. The doctor examines Seo Yoon.

“I’m very happy for the both of you,” the doctor says. 

The doctor is more of an older man. He seems sweet and friendly.

“Thank you,” Rowoon replies.

“When did you meet her,” the doctor asks. “I’ve known you for so long, and you’ve never mentioned your wife before.”

“Our meeting was unexpected,” Rowoon replies.

“Yeah? My wife and I also had an unexpected meeting. We always bickered, but here we are loving each other deeply.”

“You two sound very sweet,” Rowoon replies.

“Thank you,” the doctor chuckles.

“Is it too early to find out the gender of the child,” Rowoon asks.

“Not at all. Just let me finish prescribing your wife her pills and we can do an ultrasound.”

“Thank you, doctor,” Rowoon replies.

The doctor finishes typing up the prescription and hands it to Rowoon.

“If you two have any questions, don’t be afraid to give me a call,” the doctor says.

“Thank you,” the two of them say together.

“Okay,” the doctor says. “Let’s go do that ultrasound.”

Seo Yoon is lying on the hospital bed while the doctor is looking for the baby with his probe. 

“There’s the baby,” the doctor says. “That’s the head.”

Seo Yoon and Rowoon are astounded. Suddenly, they hear some beating.

“That’s the heartbeat,” the doctor says.

“Wow,” Seo Yoon says surprised. “This is real.”

“This is real,” the doctor says.

Rowoon also feels the same way Seo Yoon is feeling.

“You two have a little girl,” the doctor says.

“A little girl,” Rowoon asks. He sounds so happy.

The doctor nods his head. He is happy for the couple.

On the way out, Rowoon is holding onto the bag of prescription and helping Seo Yoon walk.

“It’s okay,” Seo Yoon says. “I can walk myself.”

“No. I’ll help you. After hearing the baby’s heartbeat, this no longer feels like a dream.”

Seo Yoon smiles. “I know.”

Seo Yoon raises her head and sees Hani walking with Tony heading over to her.

"Hani," Seo Yoon calls.

Hani looks up. She is happy to see Seo Yoon.

"Seo Yoon," Hani calls. "What are you doing here? You don't feel well?"

“No,” Seo Yoon replies. “I feel fine. It’s just,” Seo Yoon trails off. She puts her hands on her belly. “I’m pregnant.”

Hani’s eyes widen. “Pregnant?!”

Seo Yoon nods her head. 

“With Rowoon,” Hani asks. “I saw him with another woman the other day.” Hani is angry. “I meant to call you, but haven’t found the time. What happened?”

“Tone down your voice,” Seo Yoon says. “We’re at the hospital. Let’s go somewhere else to talk.”

They go to a nearby cafe, and Seo Yoon tells Hani everything.

“That bastard,” Hani curses.

Tony and Rowoon are sitting next to their woman, but they’re not saying anything. They’re just listening and sipping their drinks.

“Seo Yoon,” Hani continues. “Let me tell you. He never put you first. He always puts himself first and did whatever he wanted to do. You were always following him around like a lost puppy.” Hani rolls her eyes. “Gosh I hate him! I’m so glad you broke up with him.”

“Now that I think about it,” Seo Yoon says. “You’re right.”

“I’m not trying to be rude. I was happy that you were happy in that relationship. I just hated how he treated you like trash. I kept telling you, but you wouldn't listen."

"I'm sorry. I'm happy that you tried to protect me though. I was too in love that I didn't even notice."

"That bastard. Anyway. Now. You're pregnant with this man's child?"

Hani eyes Rowoon.

Seo Yoon nods her head. 

"And this happened because that bastard didn't show up to your vacation," Hani asks.

Seo Yoon nods her head.

"He has the same name as that bastard too," Hani asks.

"That's how he came to my room," Seo Yoon replies.

"I have to say, he looks better than that bastard. I hope he's treating you better than that bastard."

“Far more,” Seo Yoon says.

“I believe so,” Tony chimes in. “He was helping Seo Yoon walk out of the hospital.”

“Yes,” Rowoon agrees. “I’m afraid to lose the baby, so I always help Seo Yoon whenever I can.”

“He won’t even let me sleep on the second floor of our house because he’s afraid I’m going to fall down the stairs and lose the baby,” Seo Yoon says. “We’re sleeping on the first floor.”

“He sounds reliable,” Hani says.

“I try to be,” Rowoon replies.

“I don’t want to be that friend, but I’m going to be that friend. Please treat Seo Yoon well. That bastard treated Seo Yoon horribly. She was always the one who was giving. He always received and never returned.”

“I promise I’ll treat her well,” Rowoon replies.

“By the way,” Seo Yoon says. “Why did you two go to the hospital? Are you sick?”

“Just monthly checkups,” Hani replies. “Nothing bad. When you’re free, we should hang out.”

“Of course.”

“Call me when you have your child. I want to see your cute baby. Have you come up with names yet?”

“Not yet,” Seo Yoon replies.

“Tell me when you come up with one.”

Seo Yoon nods her head.

 

“Is there anything you want to eat,” Rowoon asks.

He is driving down the highway.

“I’ll buy you whatever you want,” he continues.

“It’s okay,” Seo Yoon replies. “I can just eat what you bought at home.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes. Don’t you have work?”

“Oh right. Work. Then tell me now and I’ll buy it after work.”

“No really. I’m okay.”

“Alright. Seo Yoon, do you work?”

“No. I quit a few months ago. My ex boyfriend works there too, and I can’t stand seeing him.”

“Ahh. I see. It’s okay. My income is enough for the three of us. You can just stay home and take care of the baby.”

“Sure. Does Seyeon come over often?”

“No.”

“Oh. I was just wondering since the house is so big and cold.”

“You think the house is big and cold?”

“Yes. When you’re at work, the house is quiet. I don’t know what to do around the house.”

“I see. Definitely don’t work. Don’t carry heavy things either.”

“I know.”

Rowoon drops Seo Yoon off at his house and heads to work.

 

“How did it go,” secretary Kim asks. “Is the baby healthy?”

Rowoon is sitting at his desk doing some paperwork while secretary Kim is standing in front of his desk.

“The baby is healthy,” Rowoon replies. “So is my wife.”

“That’s good to hear,” secretary Kim says happily.

Rowoon smiles as well.

“You seem to be happier than I am,” Rowoon says. 

“Of course I’m happy,” secretary Kim exclaims. “My boss is finally going to be a father. I know you’ll be a great one too. You’ve been saying how you want children.”

“You should hurry and date too. We can talk about our children together.”

“Right. However, there is one thing.”

“What is it?”

“What happens after Seo Yoon gives birth to your child?”

“We’ll stay married of course. We’re the parents.”

“Then, what about Seyeon? You can’t be married to Seo Yoon and be dating Seyeon at the same time.”

“Right.” Rowoon is suddenly sulking.

“I know you love Seyeon, and you have Seo Yoon as your responsibility, but keeping two woman is not a good thing to do.”

“I know. I have to end it with one of them. Seyeon is the better choice in this case.”

“I know it’s going to be hard. You two have dated for six years already.”

“But I can’t throw Seo Yoon away.”

“I know. I don’t think Seyeon is going to take it well though.”

 

Seyeon is at a photoshoot. She is posing for the camera.

Her manager runs over to her and hands her phone over.

“Rowoon texted you,” her manager says.

Seyeon grabs the phone.

“Let’s take a five minute break,” Seyeon says.

Everyone agrees.

Seyeon walks over to a chair and sits down. She opens the text.

“Let’s have dinner together,” Rowoon texts.

She smiles happily. “Okay,” she texts back.

 

Seo Yoon is at the island table eating a bag of chips. Her phone dings, so she picks it up.

“I’ll be home a little later today. I’ll already have eaten dinner, so don’t worry about me and go to sleep early,” Rowoon texts.

“Okay,” Seo Yoon texts back. 

Rowoon and Seyeon are eating dinner together. They’re in the back by the window enjoying the night view. 

“How’s work,” Seyeon asks. “Everything is fine?”

Rowoon nods his head. “Everything is the same,” he replies. “And you?”

“Perfect. Everything is perfect.”

“Good to know.”

“Gosh. I miss being with you.”

She reaches over and places her hand on top of his.

Rowoon pulls his hand away and wipes his mouth with his napkin.

“Seyeon,” he starts. “I called you here today because I wanted to talk to you.”

“Aren’t we talking?”

“I want to talk about us. Seyeon, you’re a very beautiful woman. You’re kind and you’ve been so patient with me, and I really like that about you.”

Seyeon can’t help but smile.

“But I don’t think we should continue this relationship anymore,” Rowoon finishes.

The smile on her face fades away.

“Why,” she asks. “Is it because of her?”

Rowoon nods his head. 

“I never told you,” she continues. “But I’m willing to raise the baby with you after she gives birth.”

“It won’t be the same. Seo Yoon is the mother. She has as much responsibility as I do. Let’s say we do stay together, I can’t just kick her out after she gives birth to my child.”

“Then ask her.”

“And if she wants to stay? I can’t be married to her and be dating you at the same time. Since she has my child, I’m going to stay with her.”

“But will you be happy? Do you love her?”

“I’m sure I will.”

Seyeon sighs in annoyance. She drops her utensils and grabs her purse before she walks away.

Rowoon watches her leave. His heart is aching, and he feels awful, but what else can he do? He can’t leave his baby behind.

When Rowoon returns home, Seo Yoon is already in bed. He doesn’t eat dinner and heads straight to bed. Rowoon still feels down. He is staring at the ceiling. Rowoon can feel his heart shattered in pieces. He closes his eyes and takes a deep breath to calm himself down.

 

Seo Yoon wakes up the next day. She washes up then heads to the kitchen. There, she sees Rowoon making breakfast again.

“Good morning,” she greets.

“Morning,” he greets back. He still sounds down.

“What are you making this morning?” She sits at the island and waits for breakfast like usual.

“Nothing big,” he replies. 

He sets a plate in front of her.

“Thank you,” she says.

He joins her at the table.

“You’re welcome,” he says.

They eat in silence.

Seo Yoon notices that Rowoon is quiet unlike from other mornings.

“How early do you wake up to make breakfast,” Seo Yoon asks to break the silence.

“Around six,” Rowoon replies.

“And how long does it take you to make breakfast?”

“It depends,” he replies. “Today, it only took 30 minutes.”

Seo Yoon nods her head. She looks at Rowoon.

He’s picking at his food.

“Is something wrong,” Seo Yoon asks. 

“No,” he replies. “I’m fine.”

“Really?” 

He nods his head. “I’m going to work.” Rowoon stands up and walks away.

Seo Yoon watches him go. “Did something go wrong at work,” Seo Yoon asks herself. 

That bothers her for the whole day.

"He looked really upset," she talks to herself.

Seo Yoon walks to her bedroom and picks up her phone from the bed. She texts Rowoon.

“Will you tell me your favorite foods,” she asks.

Rowoon is in a meeting. He is sitting at the end of the table. His phone lights up, so he checks it. He reads Seo Yoon’s text message.

“Spicy black bean noodles,” he texts back.

Seo Yoon receives the message. She smiles. Seo Yoon grabs her purse and heads out. 

“I think I remember seeing a small mart about a block away from here,” she talks to herself. 

Seo Yoon is right. She buys ingredients for spicy black bean noodles and walks back to the house. 

Seo Yoon makes the noodles. When she is done, she does a taste test.

“Woah,” she breathes. “That’s spicy.” She drinks a cup of water to drown the spiciness.

Seo Yoon puts the black bean noodle away and waits for Rowoon to come back home. 

Rowoon is sitting at his desk. He finishes up the last of the paperwork.

“Is there anything else on my schedule for today,” Rowoon asks secretary Kim.

“No, sir,” secretary Kim replies. “Everything on your schedule today is done and completed.”

“I’m going to go home then.”

He stands up.

“Boss,” secretary Kim starts. “Is something wrong? You’ve been down the whole day.”

“You can tell?”

“You’re not very good at hiding your emotions, boss.”

Rowoon’s shoulder slumps. “I broke up with Seyeon,” Rowoon replies.

Secretary Kim nods his head. “It’s hard isn’t it. Want to go for a drink? You can pour your feelings out.”

“That sounds nice, but my wife is waiting for me. Perhaps another time.”

Rowoon walks out. 

When he arrives home, Seo Yoon greets him with a smile.

“How was work,” she asks.

“The same,” Rowoon replies.

“Did you eat dinner?”

He shakes his head.

“Great,” she says happily. “I made dinner for you.”

Rowoon is sitting at the island table eating the spicy black bean noodles Seo Yoon had made. 

“How is it,” she asks.

He nods his head. “Very good,” he says.

She smiles happily. “That’s good. I was afraid you wouldn’t like it. You seemed to be in a very bad mood today, so I thought I’d make something you like to eat.”

“How did you get these ingredients,” he asks.

“I walked to the mini mart a block away from here.”

“You walked?”

Seo Yoon nods her head.

“What if something happened to you,” he asks.

“But nothing happened,” Seo Yoon says. “And I was only thinking about what I can do to make you happy. I’m sorry.” She hangs her head.

“Next time,” Rowoon says. “Tell me, and we can go together.”

“Okay. Sorry for making you worried.”

“It’s okay. Thank you for making me dinner.”

“You’re welcome. Are you feeling better?”

He nods his head. “I am. Thanks to you.”

Seo Yoon smiles.

“Did you cook black bean noodles a lot when you lived with mom” he asks.

“No. This is my first time.”

“Wow, and you don’t even like spicy food, but you did a really good job.”

“Thank you.”

“What did you do all day today?”

“Nothing much. I cooked. That’s all.”

“Do you usually do nothing when I’m not home?”

Seo Yoon nods her head. 

“I see,” he says. “Is there something you want to do? Maybe I can get you some books to read when I’m at work.”

“Books sound good.”

“Okay. Favorite genre?”

“Romance, a little mystery, horror.” Seo Yoon buffers. She nods her head. “That’s it.”

“Okay. I’ll get you that. Do you want anything else?”

“Movies? Same genres.”

He nods his head.

Rowoon doesn’t even realize, but his heart is no longer hurting.

“Actually,” Rowoon starts. “Yesterday, I broke up with Seyeon.”

“Is that why you’re in such a bad mood today,” Seo Yoon asks surprised.

He nods his head.

“Did you break up with her because of me,” Seo Yoon asks.

“I would be lying if I said no,” he replies.

“Sorry. I made you upset.”

“It’s okay. I was trying to make the most rational decision.”

Seo Yoon frowns.

“Don’t be upset,” he says. “This is the right decision. You and I will be parents. This is all for the baby.”

Seo Yoon nods her head.

“Did you eat,” he asks.

“I ate already,” she replies.

He looks at her and sees that she is still frowning.

“Seo Yoon,” he starts. “What’s your favorite breakfast food?”

Seo Yoon thinks. “Sausage,” she starts, “and scrambled eggs.”

He nods his head. “Very American. Okay.”