Chapter 9 : Moment of Truth Part 1

[Exclusive] TERRIFIED
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 9 Moment of Truth Part 1

 

It’s always hard to speak the truth, especially when it affects what they’ve build and potentially destroy what they’ve gained. Though telling the truth is the right thing to do in order not break someone else’s trust, for some it’s never easy and it’s terrifying especially when they know its aftermath. Nevertheless, once a truth is exposed and known, no one knows how it’s going to affect or move a relationship. It’s risky, but saying the truth and hurt someone is better than lying to comfort someone.

 

The morning is chilling despite the sun shining up high the clear sky of the countryside. The weather is best for a relaxing day but the villagers choose to work in the farms, at the nearby sea to fish and others at the village’s market to sell. Everyone’s in their own daily routines and this is one of the things that Jisoo misses the most in the countryside, peaceful and stress-free as she’s out helping her mother and relatives from the work.

 

Left inside their humble home is Lisa whose consciousness just came back after a long night of sleep. Compared to the yesterday she felt weak and fragile, she woke up feeling lighter and better as she found herself on a comfortable single bed inside an unfamiliar room. She welcomed her morning looking up the ceiling filled with ‘glow-in-the-dark’ stickers of stars. And without moving from the bed as she’s wrapped in a blue blanket, she roamed her eyes around and found a boy standing by the opened door.

 

“Ah! You’re awake!” The little boy shouted and before Lisa could even open to talk to him, he dashes away and continues on screaming the news, “Jisoo-noona! Lisa is awake!”

 

Not long Lisa heard heavy footsteps approaching and just then Jisoo appeared panting by the door, “Finally! We’re so worried for you!”

 

“W-what happened…?” Lisa slowly sat up the bed and that’s when she noted more of the room, not so expansive and just enough for one person to occupy for a good night sleep with small spaces to move around on.

 

Jisoo however pushes Lisa back to lay down as she checks her head and severely warns, “Don’t get up yet. You still have slight fever. You’re not fully recovered yet. Please take some more rest. Dad is currently preparing breakfast so you don’t have to move too much.”

 

Lisa massaged her temples and recollects everything that happened to her. She remembers herself driving a long way here in the countryside with Jisoo. She was feeling bad and worsened when she arrived. The last thing that her mind flashed back to is when she formally greeted Jisoo’s parents and right there she collapsed hard on the ground. Though her consciousness that time was fading, she was sure she heard Jisoo crying and she was hugged tight until she completely know nothing anymore.

 

As all these memories joined in her head, Lisa gasps loud at the realization, “Wait! Does that mean I spent the entire Christmas day sleeping and getting sick?” 

 

“Sadly yes. But what do you expect? You were heavily sick and we called the village’s doctor to check on you here. You’re given proper medications already and there’s nothing to worry much anymore. You only need a complete bed rest then so you’ll be able to join us and see more of the countryside for the next days.” Jisoo explained and got Lisa wrapped in a blanket once again, treating her like a baby who is helpless to do anything on her own though she actually can.

 

Lisa soon calmed down in the bed as Jisoo takes care of her, from replacing her water and getting her temperature with the tool. It’s disappointing how her Christmas was wasted because of her fever but it’s satisfying to know she wasn’t left alone by Jisoo, and it could be more delightful if only she can remember how Jisoo must have taken care of her the entire night and didn’t leave her side. She wanted to say thank you but knowing Jisoo, she would only return a counter, “It’s okay. It doesn’t matter.” Or “Don’t mind.”

 

Instead she asks, “Hey, where am I then?”

 

“This is our house. It isn’t that huge but I can tell you it’s a very comfortable place. Right now you’re in my room and that’s my bed you slept on.” Jisoo said while she busily organizes the mess around, including Lisa’s bags she never got to arrange as she’s sick and the used wet towels on the bedside table.

 

Lisa shrinks in and put half of her face under the blanket because she has to hide this blush that formed in her cheeks as she thought, “Did we… you know… sleep together?”

 

Jisoo gasps in disbelief, “Oh my God no way! How the hell will we even fit in my single bed in the first place? Also, I just laid a thick blanket on the floor and slept there, thanks to you, because I had to look after you the entire night. Moreover, how can I even sleep with someone who was heavily sick? If I did I’m also sick by now and my parents wouldn’t have anyone to help them.”

 

“Sorry for the trouble.” Lisa pouted and acted cute to cool down Jisoo’s agitated mood.

 

“Anyway…” The disturbed Jisoo sighed. “You should stay there on the bed until you’re completely recovered. Don’t be hard-headed and follow the instructions if you don’t want to get worse and spend the entire holidays being sick. I’ll just go out and get your change of clothes.” She then added.

 

“Y-yeah…” Lisa obediently nodded.

 

And before Jisoo makes an exit, she turns back to her once again only to say, “And oh, just in case you get the wrong idea again, it’s my mom who changed your clothes and not me. We had to open your bags without permission to check on your available clothes because my clothes don’t really fit you well so yeah…”

 

Jisoo didn’t prolong the talk anymore and left Lisa for the reason that she has to hide her face quickly from hastily turning red, hide her happiness from seeing Lisa finally awake and better than yesterday. The dreadful hours she spent throughout the night and experienced seeing Lisa panting and covered in sweat was one of her worst nightmares ever. She never cried that much before and she shocked herself on how much tears she poured as she took care of her until she calmed down into her sleep.

 

She spent a sleepless night. She made sure Lisa was accompanied in her worst times that her fever reached its peak. No matter how cold it was that her skin dried so bad, Jisoo didn’t care much of herself as long as Lisa was kept warm under her favourite blankets and huge pillows. It was indeed exhausting and it was dawn when Jisoo only able to spend an hour of sleep before she started yet again another day of countryside’s works.

 

Lisa meanwhile obeyed the strict orders of Jisoo and stayed in the bed. Bored as she’s eager to go out and see the countryside and join everyone else, Lisa kept wandering her eyes around and observe more of Jisoo’s room which is revealed for the first time. On the walls she saw a lot of Polaroid photos of her and Jennie, from her childhood days then some unfamiliar people she never met before and one of these unknown people to her is Seulgi. In the photo she’s clinging to Jisoo and her heart was pinched by this, acknowledging the jealousy the crept into her.

 

“Being too clingy… who the hell even are you?” Lisa pouted and looked away from the photo, sulking to no one but to herself.

 

“So it’s true you’re finally awake.” Coming in disrupting Lisa’s observations around the room is Jisoo’s father holding a tray of food good for her. “Here, we have a special breakfast for you so you’ll get better faster.” He then presented on the bedside table.

 

Served for her is a hot porridge with a boiled egg and she humbly accepted it as she sits up the bed carefully with the help of the old man. “I’m so sorry for suddenly passing out and worse becoming sick on my first visit. It’s a shame that I met you in such way despite preparing well.” She apologetically said as the man watches her eat the food he prepared.

 

But the father smiles assured, “No worries about that young lady. You came a long way and we’re so glad you’re getting better now. We understand that it’s not easy to drive all the way here that’s why whenever Jisoo comes back alone back in the days, she’d take the train then another ride she’d rent to drop her off here straight. In fact, Jisoo was crying so hard last night because she felt guilty of letting you drive still while knowing you weren’t feeling well already.”

 

“She cried?” Lisa frowned and the father unfortunately nodded.

 

“That girl rarely cries in front of other people. She tend to pretend strong and she cries alone when no one else is looking but last night, when you collapsed, she just broke down in tears and even we were shocked. You must be pretty special to her, that’s what we thought.” The father went on saying in a pleasant manner not to make Lisa feel guilty.

 

“S-special…” Lisa blushed at this word and grinned in thrill yet she humbly returns, “J-Jisoo really grown attached to me and… well…” She had to stop as her words are bringing her to a worse and tighter situation right in front of Jisoo’s father.

 

The father laughs loud at her silliness and loves how she’s so reserved. He approves of her humble actions as he gave her a thumbs up and even offers, “I’m glad to know that my daughter has someone like you while she’s working around the town. Once you’ve completely healed and you can move well, come with me to the farm and I’ll show you around. Jisoo told me about you and your interests with our products so you’re more than welcome to check it out.”

 

“Really? Thank you so much! I swear I’ll take good photos and videos of everything and I’ll show to the world how great Jisoo’s family is with the farm!” Lisa said excited and exaggerated with her arms she extended, grinning so wide her whole set of teeth can be seen flashing and shining.

 

The father loved her reactions that he laughed to his fullest on his way out and Jisoo saw him marching out looking like that. Oftentimes he is a serious type of person due to his workloads he has to finish before every day ends and only during rare times she can hear or see him laughing in the midst of a hectic day. She doesn’t have an idea what they talked about in her room which makes her curious how Lisa made her father burst out into laughter. Nevertheless, Jisoo is pleased to know that her parents, so far, is adjusting well to Lisa’s presence around them.

 

“Lisa must have told him something to make him laugh like that.” The mother surprised the idle Jisoo midway in returning to her room with well-folded clothes under her arms.

 

“I know right mom. Lisa has a good sense of humour anyway, almost like mine too.” Jisoo said proud as she snorted.

 

The mother pulled her daughter farther from her room’s door that’s opened. And all the way to the kitchen she pulled her to a corner as she whispers close not for anyone, especially for Lisa, to hear, “Does Lisa know about Seulgi?”

 

“No mom. I haven’t told her yet.” Jisoo admitted hesitant then she clarifies uncertain, “But I’m planning to tell her soon. Lisa has always been nice to me and I also feel bad for hiding things from her I didn’t even mean to do.”

 

“Why are you even hiding it to her in the first place? What’s the real deal between you and Lisa anyway? I saw how much you were worried for her last night and I’m your mother, I know if there’s something going on with you.” Her mother interrogated with an eyebrow rising in suspicion.

 

“Because I like her mom.” Jisoo confessed straightforward that her mother nearly gasped out loud, eventually losing her grip on the clothes and temporarily put it on the chair near her.     

 

The concerned mother grabbed onto her daughter’s arm and questions intently, “You’re not cheating on Seulgi, right? You’re being a good girl in the town, right? Please tell me you’re doing the right things and not doing anything foolish.”

 

“Mom, relax. I’m not cheating and I’ve been questioned about that many times already. I know what I’m doing and though I do feel guilty that I’m starting to fall for someone else while I’m still stuck with Seulgi, I haven’t done anything with Lisa yet. I know the consequences if I ever do something more foolish that’s why I’m trying to find answers while I’m here. And I want you to help me.” Jisoo pleaded low in her tone as she gazed her mother with those pleading watery eyes.

 

She engulfed her daughter around an embrace to comfort her burdens as she rustles, “Okay sweetie. We’re here. We’ll help you. Take your time and we’re just here for you, okay? Don’t strain yourself too much and whatever’s bothering you, we’re always here to give you a listen.”

 

“Thank you mom.” Jisoo hugged her mother back and rested her rumbling mind even for just a moment.

 

Jisoo hasn’t gotten enough rest for her to think straight and she hasn’t had time to organize her thoughts. Despite that, she openly told her mother everything she feels and she knows, how much of a weight she’s carrying because of her terrified heart that’s leading her to nowhere and mere confusions. Though she had long admitted to herself and confirmed her feelings for Lisa, the painful load of hurting Seulgi still shakes her terribly.

 

Lunch time when the town started the day late after a whole day of spending the best season. The Christmas day had ended for this year and what’s hot for the remaining days of the year is the preparation for yet another feast for the New Year’s Eve and most importantly spending these last days with special ones. In order to end the year with a good note and without regrets, these spare days given is the best time to make things right, or so they hope they can.

 

One of these hopeful people who wants to end a year prosperous, as much as possible, is Chaeyoung as she’s being productive of what she swore to do and that’s to bring Jennie on a formal first date. Succeed in her plans, for this day she brought Jennie to this exclusive café around the town that her sister recommended hours before they met. It isn’t her personal style and not her preference on casual dates yet she wants to give an impression especially that she cannot see anything but to hear Jennie’s reactions.

 

Jennie on the other hand accepted this date without further questions. She thought it wouldn’t be a problem as they’ve always been together alone and they are already used to each other’s presence, even having intimate moments that casual friends don’t normally do. However, now that she’s fully aware Chaeyoung labelled it as a date and sensing her intentions for this day, she never imagined it’s going to be this thrilling she couldn’t find words to tell her, so ecstatic that her heart is too excited to even beat properly.

 

“Do you like it so far? My sister highly recommended this place for our first date and she said it’s a good place for first timers so I trusted her.” Chaeyoung uttered blushing from across the table as she heard Jennie started to dig in on her plate, that mocha cake she ordered.

 

Jennie almost choked on her food as she thought, “Wow, I never thought she is this brave and straightforward she even bluntly said it’s our first date.”

 

“S-so…” Chaeyoung again uttered when she heard no response yet but several coughs from Jennie.

 

“Oh…” Jennie snapped back to reality and happily responds, “I like it here. Everything’s very organized. The cakes are perfect, the latte is good too. I’ve been living around this town for so long yet this is my first time coming here too. I’m kind of worried about the price though…”

 

“It’s my treat, don’t worry about it anymore. I was the one who asked you out first so I have to pay for everything. I may be jobless but I’m good at earning, plus my sister gave me bonus allowance for today.” Chaeyoung confidently smiled and searched for her wallet inside her bag, guessing where Alice had put it for her.

 

Jennie couldn’t say no to her anymore because she admitted to herself, she won’t be able to afford the bill even if they divide it because of the financial crisis she’s facing. She just sat there, watching the silly yet cute Chaeyoung guessing where her wallet is inside her bag. The blush is evident in her natural face, her nervousness is apparent with her hand gestures that are a little shaky and looking at her from top to bottom with her branded coat and high quality attire, Jennie is certain she prepared for this, unlike her who only wore her favourite hoodies as she was surprised by this date invitation.

 

Jennie isn’t too fresh and not a youngster not to know what are the intentions of someone who asked for a formal first date. It would be dumb of her to ask why she was asked, so she thought, and a lot more convenient to think that Chaeyoung actually likes her in a romantic way that’s why she initiated for a date and not a mere hang out. She isn’t a kid who still believes in those romance movies that plays round and round about love until the cute ending comes. She has experience in relationships and Chaeyoung’s moves are something she cannot pretend she doesn’t know where it’s leading them.

 

“Damn, she’s really beautiful.” Jennie acknowledged as she bit her lower lip.

 

“Are you saying something?” Chaeyoung asked as she finally found her wallet, acting clueless though she heard those soft mumbles from her date while constraining herself to break into her thrilled grins.

 

Jennie, keeping her wide smile, she denies with another topic, “Nothing. I was just talking to myself and I actually wanted to ask you which one you like better, here or at my café?”

 

“Of course your café is the best!” Chaeyoung responded a little loud that anyone around them could hear, including the staffs who heard her praising a café other than theirs. “I miss your café to be honest. Your cakes are my favourites and they are just perfect. Jisoo-unnie’s coffees are the best too and I can get why Lisa loves it so much. I can’t blame her. If only it’s open, I’ll be quite bold to take you on our first date in your own café.” She further accounted while sipping carefully on her freshly brewed hot coffee.

 

Jennie laughs at her silliness, “Too bad, I don’t know when I’m going to open it again because of all these troubles going on. But I already made a wish last Christmas that I want to reopen it again as soon as possible when I have enough funds for it and new plans. It’s only a wish but I’m serious about it.”

 

“Christmas wish, huh? Now that I think of it, I also made one.” Chaeyoung recalled that night before she dozed off, before she closed her eyes and in her arms is Jennie’s petite body.

 

“Tell me.” Jennie dared and reached out for Chaeyoung’s cheek to wipe off that cream that stained her smooth skin.

 

“To be able to see again, that’s my Christmas wish.” Chaeyoung said straight and grabbed Jennie’s hand that’s on her face for her to hold as she goes on unveiling her wish, “Before, when I was able to adjust with my condition, I thought I’m fine staying like this, that I’ll be alright if I’m blind forever since I’ve come to accept it and that I don’t want to see the world again either. However, I met you and that’s when I started to hope again that I want to be able to see, to see this person who has been patiently guiding me and holding me all this time, to be a better person for this special someone and restart my life for myself and show it to her. I can be a lot better if I have these eyes to see you and the people who have been there for me too.”

 

If Jennie is an ice cream she already melted hearing Chaeyoung’s accurate and exact Christmas wish in this cold weather. Her heart was touched and she heated as the wish formed on a special day was all because of her, all because she’s there for her in her darkest times. There are a lot of ‘what ifs’ going on in Jennie’s mind as she stares at her date deeper than before. What if Chaeyoung can see her blushing and looking at her tenderly right now? What if Chaeyoung is seeing this reaction from her? What if Chaeyoung can see how much of admiration she has for her? What if Chaeyoung can see, then she’ll be better at looking through her deep inside?

 

Jennie got so engrossed with these thoughts and imagined the day they would be looking into each other’s eyes. She’s too into her imaginations she almost got lost to the reality and she had to snap herself back, gently taking back her hand from Chaeyoung to take a sip of her own latte to calm herself as well. “How do you think I look like?” She then questioned to go on with the casual first date talk.

 

“I know for sure you have dumpling cheeks and obviously shorter than I am.” Chaeyoung giggled as she teased and Jennie pouted. And inside her mind she adds, “Your lips feel soft too…”

 

It’s a typical first date kind of talks with these reserved and shy giggles but with straightforward words that come out occasionally to give them thrills. There’s more to talk about as they get to know each other deeper more than before, their hobbies, their passion such as music for Chaeyoung while baking for Jennie, and a lot more to share for this long day. However, as they go on sharing talks and laughter that’s getting louder as their topic proceeds, behind Chaeyoung, walking out on a blind spot from their seat, Jennie sighted the least person she doesn’t want to see for this last days of the years.

 

“Oh great… Jong-in.” Jennie groaned she rolled her eyes showing how annoyed she is of his presence and it only took few seconds for the man to notice them as well.

 

“Look who’s here, the bankrupt patissier!” An older woman mocked as she appeared behind Jong-in who wasn’t given a chance to open his mouth to talk with Jennie first, not even to greet her.

 

Jennie raises an eyebrow and sniffles from her seat, “And yeah, look who’s here too? A sugar mommy who’s still chasing after a trash. I thought you guys broke up already, according to your man right here. He was even so proud about it, telling me like it’s a breaking news.”

 

“Yeah, and what about it? Are you jealous to see us together again?” The woman further taunted with that smirk that surely ticks off Jennie’s nerves.

 

But Jennie didn’t let herself be defeated as she returns a louder taunt, “Why should I be jealous? I threw that man away for a reason. And I don’t pick a trash that’s long rotten in someone else’s care. Who would want a man who can easily throw you away just because of money?”

 

Jong-in had to step in as the woman is getting louder and might catch more attention than what they are getting as of the moment. Clearing things up, he looks down at Jennie and calmly tells her, “We’re not getting back together. We’re only together right now to formally end everything between us and I only returned her things. Trust me Jennie, I didn’t know you’ll be here too and I didn’t mean any of this to happen.”

 

“I’m not even asking for your explanation because whatever it is, I don’t care. I don’t even care if you get married in front of me. I will even bake your wedding cake if you want to.” Jennie barked annoyingly and breathed heavy for she’s starting to get worried for Chaeyoung who has been quiet from across the table, concerned of what’s going through her mind with this silence.

 

Chaeyoung is confused of what’s suddenly happening going on around her. She has no clue at first but when she heard Jong-in’s familiar name she once knew from the café’s staffs and she once overheard, that’s when she sensed that their date is about to get ruined by their presence. She has the urge to step in between and interrupt them, take Jennie away and avoid them but because she’s helpless in such situation, she can only sit there in a hush and let Jennie do the talks and it’s frustrating her deep inside.

 

The woman was evidently pissed off because of Jong-in ruining the argument and let Jennie victoriously smirk at her embarrassment. Being competitive as she has always been when it comes to Jennie, later she took notice of the quiet Chaeyoung and so she targets her, mocking, “By any chance, you must be Park Chaeyoung? It’s so nice to meet you.” She extended a hand for a handshake then she purposely gasps apologetically, “Oh no, I’m sorry. I forgot you cannot actually see me. My bad…”

 

Jennie had to stand up on this for she’s going overboard. “Stop it! Don’t dare you touch Chaeyoung or else—“

 

“Or else what?” The woman cut her off and Jennie kept panting out her fury as she’s controlling herself not to cause worse commotion inside this exclusive café. “You know Jennie, you should also watch your back and the people around you. Instead of being always hot-blooded towards me, why don’t you watch out for pretentious people around you? They may look like a daydream but they are actually your worst nightmares. Don’t be deceived.” She giggled evilly and Chaeyoung felt a shiver down to her spine as she knew she’s being looked at.

 

“What are you saying?” Jennie grumbled and her fists clenched.

 

The woman played dumb and hums, “Nothing. I was just having fun seeing you angry like this and I finally found out your weakness. Who would have thought it’s going to be this blind woman, right? But anyway, I have to go now and I’m so sorry for ruining your date.”

 

The woman walked out in poise as she’s triumphant over Jennie this time while Jong-in remained for a while and watched Jennie dropping back to her seat, evidently fuming of how her joyous day with Chaeyoung was ruined by them. He felt apologetic towards Jennie but looking next to Chaeyoung, he was eaten by envy and loathe as he wanted to be in her place and date Jennie instead. He never liked her ever since the first time he saw her clinging onto Jennie, more when he found out about her dark past that no one knows just yet.

 

Jong-in walked closer to Jennie as he talks to her closely, “Can I talk with you?”

 

“Can’t you see I’m on a date? And why do you always appear like a poisonous mushroom anyway? You always appear at a wrong time when I just want to be happy.” Jennie gave her cold shoulders and ignored him as much as she can, giving her focus to no one but Chaeyoung whose expression is darkening from her seat.

 

“If I testify to the police that I know the person who destroyed your café, will you come back to me?” Jong-in asked out of nowhere and forcibly grabbed Jennie’s hand on the table.

 

Jennie looked up at him, shocked and scared of his looks, “W-what? What are you saying?”

 

Jong-in then faces her properly but in desperation he tightened his grip on her wrist, “Will you give me a chance again if I tell the police about the truth? Will you come back to me if I expose that woman for you? You know I’ll do anything so I can make you mine again. And I’m ready to do it. I deserve you more than this woman right here.”

 

His actions turned Jennie into fearful one, being aggressive and harsh by the way she’s being held and eventually getting hurt by his grip. “L-Let me go Jong-in! You’re hurting me! What the hell are you even talking about?”

 

The moment Chaeyoung heard Jennie’s low whelps and pleads, she slammed the table and out of her instincts she pushed Jong-in and detached him away from Jennie, dividing them apart. Seeing none as she wan

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter