Chapter 4 : Brewing Troubles

[Exclusive] TERRIFIED
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: This chapter may not be so good because I've been losing my confidence in writing lately. These days I've been feeling kind of empty and I think I'm having writer's block somehow but I still tried to write this chapter. So, I'm sorry if it isn't that good or if I'm disappointing you guys. :(

====================================

Chapter 4 Brewing Troubles

 

The fear of taking a step forward to see the light, the uncertainties of going over the boundaries they created out of their inside battles and the doubts breaking the chains binding their hearts from grabbing the possible better opportunities waving in front of them, all of these are holding them back from realizing what their terrified heart wants and their denials pull them back which causes them to be unable to grasp the change that may twist their life into a better tomorrow.

 

Other than those, lies and secrets as well bring dilemmas and troubles that shouldn’t be existing in the first place. And because of these unvoiced truths and hidden circumstances they are scared to speak out of their trembling hearts, troubles start to brew and unknowingly, it creates nothing but heaviness and worries. Truly, smiles and laughter can cover all of these but there will always be people who can see right through those falsities and can break sugarcoats of these sweet gestures.

 

And through all these terrors they have inside them, no matter how they terrified they are to acknowledge what’s good for their personal life, the business nevertheless is prospering and growing, a complete opposite of themselves. In this afternoon when all is done and all is empty, nothing but contentment and gratitude are painted all over everyone’s expressions despite how worn out their bodies are. Satisfying it is to be able to see all their hard work from dawn to afternoon all paid off.

 

“Thank you for another day filled with hard work!” Jennie bowed before the staffs as the business has closed down for the day and all that occupies inside are her exhausted staffs. “As expected, we’re sold out today and just in the right time. We’re getting better than the past days and I hope this goes on. We’re slowly reaching our goal to expand this business so please, I also hope everyone stays with me, with us.” She then added as she stared each staff to express herself deeply.

 

“I’m proud of how this business is gradually getting consistent and getting more productive now. However, I wish you would also get a rest, Jennie. Your health comes first more than anything, more important that making this business bigger and surely, you know that right?” Mino extended out of concern upon noticing Jennie’s slimming figure.

 

The other staffs also agree, “This business won’t operate without you so please, take care of yourself too. If you’re not around then we won’t be too.”

 

“Okay, fine. Noted.” Jennie easily gave in and let everyone go to their own ways.

 

All that’s left inside the café is Jisoo who has been quiet the entire time that Jennie was talking. Looking everywhere inside the café with all the chairs and tables fixed and the racks and her coffee containers empty for the day, Jisoo couldn’t help but to grin on this sight before her watery eyes, wherein a huge breath came next as she relaxed her stiffed body from an entire day of work.

 

Jennie then also leaned but on against the wall across her best friend as she takes note, “You’ve been awfully quiet. Is there something you want to say?”

 

“I’m just amazed how much we’re improving these days and seeing the staffs and our products all out, I just can’t help it but to compare how dull we used to be in here. Before we only cater less than a hundred of customers a day and we cannot even fill up all the seats inside but now, we cannot even accommodate everyone. I’m proud of us…” Jisoo said so open, sincere while her eyes continuously look around.

 

Jennie also roams her eyes around and indeed, she can see the changes and improvement as she also opens, “I know right? It doesn’t feel real at first glance but then whenever I feel exhaustion as I bake in the kitchen, I realize, this is it… we’re really getting better and better. The more we find ourselves tired at the end of the day, the more we realize it’s because the business is prospering.”

 

“Admit it or not, it’s mainly because of you. Like what the others said earlier, without you this café is impossible.” Jisoo smirked at her best friend.

 

But Jennie returns, “It’s also because of you too and your unique coffees, not just my cakes and pastries. I know you have bigger dreams for your passion but unfortunately you’re here stuck with me on running this business. Sometimes I feel mortified for holding you back on snatching something better for you out there.”

 

Jisoo marches towards her best friend with a cup of her favourite blend to ease her troubled mind, “What are you talking about now? We’re best friends and we made promises together. While it’s true that I do have bigger dreams, working with you is what I enjoy doing and what I want to do now. I always feel good and secured whenever I work here and I always have fun every day, especially knowing that you’re there with me. This café is like my escape route from my toxic relationship with Seulgi too.”

 

“Speaking of Seulgi, how is she doing? Was she mad when you did the vlog with Lisa? I’m sure she has also seen the vlog already since it’s counting more than million views by now.” Jennie was reminded of Jisoo’s lover and so she asked as she sipped a bit of the coffee.

 

“She saw the video already. She immediately called when she heard about it and what do you expect? Of course she’s hell of mad and she’s overly jealous just because I was friendly with Lisa on the video. We weren’t even doing anything wrong and we’re just being professionals for the vlog. I even had to explain that Lisa is really like that in all her vlogs, jolly and funny to create a good content. In general, Seulgi was yet again angry, what’s new anyway?” Jisoo groaned and almost roared all of her words as she’s exasperated at the thought of how her lover opened her morning.

 

Jennie only laughs, “Well, really, it’s no surprise anymore that she’s mad. I don’t want to blame her though if she’s jealous with Lisa since you’ve been quite closer lately and you’re getting along so well. You even keep texting each other during working hours.”

 

“Huh? Are we really like that?” Jisoo examined muddle for a second but then her best friend gave her a nod of confirmation. “Seulgi might get a lot angrier if she finds out I’m going to a club with Lisa tonight. Maybe I just won’t tell her then.” She further worried.

 

“Wait, you’re going on a club with her? What for?” Jennie questioned. 

 

“She insisted on celebrating our vlog’s release and success. We also had this deal that if the vlog reaches more than three million views in less than twenty four hours, we’ll do another vlog together and it seems like we’re really going to do another.” Jisoo sighed and showed Jennie their vlog’s view count which is over their agreed views.

 

“No doubt the vlog will easily reach that view count since you really did well in it. It’s like the two of you naturally blended so well and your humour is almost the same as hers which made it a lot more fun. Even I didn’t expect for you to have that kind of spark with Lisa whom you just met not long ago.” Jennie remarked.

 

And Jisoo teases for Jennie was toned sulking, “Could it be that you’re jealous too because I’m getting closer to Lisa? Hey, you can’t be serious…”

 

“I’m your best friend and that’s a friendly reminder.” Jennie pouted as she looked away, guilty of being jealous over Jisoo’s closeness with Lisa.

 

But her best friend also has a comeback as she also playfully sulks, “It’s the same with you, isn’t it? You’re getting so close and being so clingy with that blind woman… You even slept in her room and spent the whole weekend with her…”

 

“She has a name! It’s Chaeyoung!” Jennie barked which somehow took Jisoo aback.

 

“O-okay… relax…” Jisoo stammered.

 

Jennie sighs and closes her eyes, “Yeah, I did spend my time with her over the weekend but it’s too embarrassing. I fell asleep in her bed while we were talking and I ended up waking up at noon and it was already lunch time. I’ve been bothered by it since then because I ran away the moment I woke up. I couldn’t say goodbye properly…”  

 

“What? Why the hell did you run away?” Jisoo burst out laughing.

 

Jennie blushes and she starts walking away, going up to their office, “It was my first visit yet all I did was to sleep! Moreover, it was Chaeyoung’s bed, under her blankets and resting on her pillows. I mean, won’t you feel so ashamed welcoming yourself in her bed on a first visit? I was there because I wanted to express my worries and concerns but there I was snoring…”

 

“Well yeah, it is embarrassing but as long as she doesn’t mind then don’t bother. Unless your clinginess showed and you pulled her down the bed with you and cuddled her in your sleep then I’d be damn ashamed and I won’t show my face ever again.” Jisoo commented as she followed Jennie up the office to change.

 

“Thank God I wasn’t like that. It could have been worse and I could have just jumped off the building.” Jennie rolled her eyes with a grumble for the thought of cuddling Chaeyoung on her first visit just popped out in her wildest thoughts.

 

To calm Jennie’s humiliation, Jisoo decided to offer, “Why don’t you come with us tonight at the club? She said it’s going to be her treat and she said it’s the best club around the town that she researched in the internet. And so that you won’t feel jealous too that I’m leaving you out.”

 

“I have to come, really. I have to save your skin from your strict lover just in case she calls you while you’re there. At least, you can use me as an excuse of being with you and not being alone with Lisa.” Jennie reasoned out, starting to get ready out of the café in her black coat.

 

“Still not being honest, I see…” Jisoo giggled and can only keep on tailing Jennie from behind as they both leave the café.

On the other hand, as the early night of the town approached, Lisa is on a bookstore busily searching books she never once checked in her entire life so far, books about coffees and its varieties. Being new to the section, she fills up her basket with any books as long as she finds the slightest content that she may gather. Having these books at the same time makes her think of Jisoo, her expression that’s embedded into her mind and a grin forms in her lips. As a result, she’s being glared by the other customers without knowing who she is as she’s under her usual disguise but she cares none and goes on doing her own thing.

 

“Hey mom, what’s up?” Lisa answered the call as soon as she heard her phone ringing while placing everything on the counter for her to pay.

 

“You’re not calling a lot recently. I and your dad are just worried about you. Are you busy? How is your travel going? I saw your recent vlog and it’s gaining a lot more attention that your usual ones.” The concerned mother asked.

 

And Lisa proudly replies, “I’m doing great mom. I’m going to meet that barista from my vlog later on at a club together with her best friend so right now I’m kind of tied up since I have to rush immediately to the club after buying some books I need. Somehow, we’ve become friends so I want to celebrate with them for the release of my latest vlog.”

 

“A friend?” The mother wondered.

 

Lisa smiles at the thought of Jisoo as she introduces, “Yes mom. Kim Jisoo, that barista, she became my friend and now that I won the deal, I’ll be meeting her frequently.”

 

“Yeah, I know. It’s just that I’m quite surprised that you actually made a friend while travelling. This is the first time you’re introducing someone to me. You never introduced us anyone before so this is kind of new to me.” The mother cleared herself.

 

As Lisa is done packing all her paid items, she stepped out of the store keeping the same grin and responds, “Jisoo is fun to be with. I easily adjusted around her and she’s understanding too. Somehow, I suddenly became friends with her. Isn’t it good though? I’ll be staying here for a while and at least someone can keep me company here while I make my contents.”

 

“It’s not that I don’t want you to have friends everywhere you go but what if the time comes that you have to leave there?” The mother went on asking.

 

“Mom, I can always come back here to visit Jisoo and besides, I don’t want to think about those things right now. I just want to enjoy tonight.” Lisa hummed.

 

While her mother goes on extending her concerns from the other line, Lisa sighted Chaeyoung’s familiar figure from the other side of the street, wearing a pink dress under her black coat and her white sneakers, on her own as she stands on a corner with her crane. She’s there as if she’s waiting for someone and Lisa observed her, not until a man came passing by and stopped in front of her, that’s when Lisa started to move from her position.

 

“Mom, I’ll call you back later.” Lisa ended the call at once.

 

The clueless Chaeyoung was approached by a drunken man, ogling at her curves down to her cold exposed legs. He has this devilish grin on his lips and waved his hands in front of Chaeyoung’s eyes that see nothing but black. And upon confirming her situation, he moved closer to her and that’s when Chaeyoung sensed his close presence as she can smell his scent that’s too near to her face. Naturally, Chaeyoung stepped back cautiously but her back unfortunately hit the wall of this building she’s waiting on.

 

“Do you need some help young lady?” The drunken man asked, but giggled as he did.

 

Chaeyoung looked down as she shakes off her head, “No, thank you. I want to be alone.”

 

“Oh c’mon, you seem to be lonely here. I know a better place for you to enjoy.” The man offered.

 

Just when his hands are ready to reach out for Chaeyoung’s shoulders for him to pull her, Lisa came in dividing them apart, “What seems to be the problem here? What are you doing to my friend?”

 

“Lisa?” Chaeyoung immediately recognized her deep tone and out of fear, she clings onto her arm which she successfully grabbed in one try.

 

“Leave her alone you ert! I’ll call the police if you still stay here and force yourself!” Lisa howled at him.

 

The drunken man was left with no choice but leave, but not after leaving Lisa with a death glare under her disguise. It’s indeed a terrifying experience for Chaeyoung and she trembles not because she’s cold, but because she’s scared of the possibilities of what could have happened to her if Lisa didn’t come to rescue her. This is just one of those days she’s afraid to come while she’s stuck into this darkness around her, a day she’ll caught into a great trouble like this.

 

“Thank you…” Chaeyoung bowed down.

 

Lisa guided her to a better corner as she asks, “Are you alone? You shouldn’t be out on your own in these kind of places. It’s dangerous at night here.”

 

“I’m with my sister. This building is the law firm she’s working at. She came back here because she forgot something in her office. And since I also wanted to get some fresh air, I tagged along with her but I cannot go up to this building anymore because she said she won’t take long and I don’t want to slow her down.” Chaeyoung explained brief.

 

“I see. I thought you’re with your girlfriend because if you are I would have lectured her for leaving you alone here.” Lisa pronounced.

 

This lead Chaeyoung into confusion, “Excuse me? Girlfriend? I don’t have a girlfriend. I’m single. Who would even like to date me?”

 

“Oh! I thought that café owner is your girlfriend. You know, Jennie Kim. I’m so sorry I made a wrong assumption.” Lisa gasped out of shock.

 

And Chaeyoung gasps louder as she blushes hard, “No! Jennie isn’t my girlfriend! We’re just… friends. We don’t have that kind of relationship! What made you assume that anyway?”

 

“I thought she is because of the way she took care of you before. Or maybe it’s just because I don’t have romantic experience yet that’s why every time I see people getting a little bit touchy, I immediately assume there’s some kind of romance going on.” Lisa awkwardly laughed at her own words.

 

Chaeyoung can only smile along with Lisa and let her face be flustered even more with redness. Deep inside, it thrills her knowing how even this popular vlogger Lisa once thought Jennie is her girlfriend, also assuming that Jennie must have been so dedicated on taking care of her. How she wishes it’s true, this crush she has on Jennie could grow bigger and better into a relationship but that’s where she has to cut off her wild imaginations as she belatedly realizes it could as well be impossible between them.

 

“Lisa, you’re here. What a small world, isn’t it?” Alice soon came out of the building and found the two laughing at their small conversation.

 

Lisa cautiously lowers down her cap even more, “Am I that recognizable? What if people around here already took photos of me?”

 

“Don’t worry. Maybe no one did since if they do, they could have stopped already just to take photos with you.” Alice winked in assurance. “What are you doing here by the way?” She then went on.

 

“I was buying some stuffs from the store then I saw Chaeyoung—“

 

Chaeyoung slightly elbowed Lisa to cut her off, wordlessly telling her not to expose whatever happened earlier. And thus Lisa zipped as Chaeyoung does the talking, “She was at the store and she happened to see me waiting for you here. Isn’t it amazing, unnie? I was just admiring her vlogs long ago but now I’m here talking to her.”

 

“I know right. It would be a lot better if you two could be close friends too.” Alice teased.

 

And Lisa immediately takes initiative, “I don’t mind being friends with her. Also, if Chaeyoung wants, she can come with us to the club tonight. I’m conducting a small party for the successful release of my latest vlog with Jisoo. And oh, Jennie will be coming too. I have a rented car parked not far from here and we can go there together.”

 

“A club…” Chaeyoung gulped and felt the terror creeping into her.

 

“Do you want to try?” Alice asked as she gives her sister a light caress on her back. “If you want to go then you can. Besides, your friends will be there and most importantly Jennie will be there as well. I think they will take care of you very well so maybe go and have some fun tonight instead of staying locked up at home.” She further said carefully to her hesitant sister.

 

“But… I don’t drink anymore…” Chaeyoung somehow contemplated.

 

But Lisa insists, “That’s not a problem. You can order pineapple juice or something. And we’re not going to force you to drink or not even to dance if you don’t like it. Just be with us.”

 

Chaeyoung still remained silent for a while as she thinks deep for her decision. The club doesn’t ring well to her and the sound of it makes her restless. Not that she has never been into such place where people are partying on a dance floor, it’s that she doesn’t have a pleasant memory being on a club. Nasty flashbacks are the only ones coming back to her, of herself being wasted on a dance floor and this she doesn’t want to keep bothering her anymore.

 

Thus, though terrified, Chaeyoung gave her an answer, “Okay, I’ll go.”

 

“Are you sure?” Alice this time questioned after seeing how Chaeyoung panted a bit while she deciding.

 

And she nods as she hisses, “Unnie, I want to fight it. You know my story and yes I am scared but how long will I stay like this? And you said it yourself, my friends will be there. Jennie will be there and who knows I might feel less scared if I have her around, right?”

 

“Okay, I get it. Tell Jennie to update me as soon as you meet her and please be careful.” Alice can do nothing but to grant her courageous sister’s decision.

 

Lisa however found it odd for Chaeyoung had to be persuaded so hard just for a simple and friendly club party as she believes she’s old enough to be attending parties. Despite knowing very well that Chaeyoung is blind and that she’ll be surrounded with care from them, Lisa still doubted for Alice still had to be so cautious of her. Nevertheless, Lisa said none of her observations and let Alice pass her sister under her care as they paved goodbye to each other.

 

While their bonds are thriving, there are people who don’t want to see them flourishing and they are the people who have once encountered them. Jong-in, together with his fiancé, spends a dinner in a fine dining restaurant where only the likes of them can afford. Truly, the place is exceptional, the foods and the services, but nothing changes Jong-in’s neutral mood, not even with the presence of his fiancé who has been talking nonstop from across him while they eat.

 

Noticing Jong-in’s head that seems immovable as he’s staring down on his plate and continuously munching without sharing a word, his fiancé then decided to speak out a topic that might interest Jong-in, saying, “I heard you’re still passing by Jennie’s café sometimes…”

 

“And so? It’s not like I’m doing something bad behind your back.” Jong-in, at last, he talked but monotonous he didn’t bother looking up to his fiancé.

 

But his persistent fiancé kept insisting as she goes on talking more of his past girlfriend, “It seems like her cheap café has been doing good too because of that popular rich vlogger and thanks to her best friend who was recently featured too. Who would have thought that her flopping business would gain this much?”

 

Having enough, Jong-in finally looked up but giving his fiancé a death glare, he complains, “Why do you always want to talk about Jennie? Are you sure you’re not the one who is interested in her? Why do you always have to bring her up every single time then you complain as if I’m the one at fault? You’re so obsessed!”

 

“It’s because I know you’re trying to get back with her and planning to break up with me!” His fiancé contended which brought him into silence. “You’re as transparent as a glass, Jong-in. You’re so easy to read with your actions and I know what kind of foolishness you’ve been doing behind my back only to secretly watch over your ex-girlfriend like a stalker! Yes, I won’t stop talking about her and confronting you about her until you wake up and forget her! Haven’t you dumped her already years ago to be with me yet there you are faltering just when our wedding is months from now!” She went on raging.

 

Defeated, Jong-in sighs as he has nothing to answer to argue, “I lost my appetite. I’m going back home. Just call me later on.”

 

Jong-in left the table and his fiancé only eagle-eyed on him as he made an exit without even looking at her one last time. Rather than throwing tantrums like how she always does whenever Jong-in walks away from her, she stayed still in her seat but smirks over the realization of how her man is still affected whenever Jennie is involved. This is painful for her however and thus, reaching her limit of understanding Jong-in’s bizarre actions, she let this pain consume her.

 

“You…” She called one of their bodyguards who has been on standby behind her. “What’s the latest report about Jennie today?” She then asked.

 

“Jennie was at the café all day until they closed. Afterwards, she went to the hospital with her best friend Jisoo for a short while. Right now, they are on their way to a club and it seems like they are also with that blind woman Jennie was with last time.” The bodyguard informed well.

 

The woman clenched her glass of wine, “Damn that Jennie having a good time with her friends… Just what the hell does that woman have that people cling to her like mushrooms? She isn’t even that rich anymore…”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter