Last Chapter : Terrified

[Exclusive] TERRIFIED
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 14 TERRIFIED Finale

 

Terrified, this feeling blocks the opportunities and challenges that are ahead of the road that are yet to be taken. Fear, it keeps people away from opening brand new doors of life, preventing anyone from grasping into the thousand possible paths of life. The distress, the panic, the anxiety and so many ways and feelings to hold everyone back, crushing dreams and experiences, to conquer these can be difficult and suffocating at times. Nevertheless, through the trials and hardships along the process come and result a great journey of life that’s filled with light and love.

 

They are terrified formed by a past they were once locked on, experiences they were once stuck into. The darkness that consumed them, it created fear within their hearts. Through the days, weeks, and years, they were a prisoner of their terrified hearts, their fear that never faded once. They came to a point they were immune of love and neglected this feeling which was soon brought back to them again by the people they would least expect to give them light and realizations.

 

“Welcome to the new JNK Cakes and Coffee!”

 

This every day greeting to start a day is once again back to put smiles and thrills to the people, to fill their morning with sweets and positive vibes with their best coffees. This French-style café is on its roll once again. Though the designs didn’t change as much as the old one, it’s rebuilt with the best qualities provided and can still be called ‘instagram-worthy’ by the younger generations. And despite the design didn’t change as much, the services and goods being rendered have notched to a higher level however.

 

The cakes and pastries made by no other than the owner and ambitious patissier Jennie Kim, have widened its varieties and classes. Her specialties being proudly displayed on the glass racks of cakes, the pastries are presented on the trays on a corner. The coffees, likewise, that are served by her best friend who can be as ambitious as her, Kim Jisoo, have also improved her works as she’s given a wider working station and better equipment to work on.

 

With all the better services, it never failed to put a smile on the town and its people. The busy and hectic days become lighter to handle and a jam-packed morning on the busy streets are taken brighter thanks to this café they decide to stop by before they continue on with their weekdays. Cakes and coffees, it sure do bring positivity and it can never go wrong on taking out a good mood that’s hiding on ones darkened heart brought by a frantic life.

 

“I missed this.”

 

The staffs all went on a temporary stop when the owner suddenly expressed from the counter area when customers stopped coming in for a second. They look around like what she’s doing, and definitely, seeing the happy customers dining in and some leaving with a huge smile on their faces, cakes and cups of coffees in their hands, they miss this feeling. Everything about this café is so encouraging and progressive they never felt stress in the midst of the busiest hours of the day.

 

“Jennie, customers are coming.” Mino, though he would love to relish more of this moment on watching their happy customers, he had to snap his fingers in front of Jennie to remind her of their job.

 

“Focus.” Passing by behind her is Jisoo, giving her a nudge by the waist and winking at her best friend to keep her at work.

 

As if Jennie never heard them and let the other staff welcome the customers and get their orders, she went on staring and observing this café she managed to rebuild once again. There are the staffs she managed to get back, especially Mino who became a brother-like to her. Then there’s Jisoo, her best friend, who could have gone to another path but chose to stick together with her. Jennie can truly be thankful of this café, but more with these people who never left her side since day one.

 

“Isn’t this the café that Lisa posted on the community board? So it’s true that it reopened a week ago, huh?” A customer who just came in said and this put an end to Jennie’s thoughts as she looked at them.

 

Jennie took a glimpse of her best friend and smirked at her before going to personally meet the customers, “Welcome.”

 

“Ah, you must be the patissier!” One of the girls squealed as she recognized Jennie who was once also featured on Lisa’s posts. “Lisa also talked about you in her post. It’s true that you’re really pretty!” She then went on commenting and blushing in front of the flustered Jennie.

 

And the other one looked near behind Jennie and sighted the busy Jisoo on making lattes for the pending orders. “You’re Kim Jisoo, right? Are you really Lisa’s girlfriend?” She straightforwardly asked as she marched in front of the coffee station.

 

Jisoo almost choked to her own breaths when she was asked and there goes Jennie chuckling at her. She avoided any possible eye contact with the curious customer and answered aloof, “Well, not really. Or should I say not yet?” She stammered badly and flashed the best smile she can give out of this awkward situation.

 

“Just say yes!” Jennie whistled. “That’s where you guys are going anyway.” She then teased and evaded Jisoo’s wrath by pretending to attend the customer in front of her.

 

“Miss Jennie, can I take a photo with you?” The customer who has been admiring Jennie came back to her to ask this favor.

 

This time it’s Jisoo’s turn to whistle and smirked at her, returning all that teases she got from her earlier. The customer is around the same age as Jennie which is making her awkward as she was never approached in such a way before. She had come across customers who would personally shake her hand but never was she asked for a picture before. She’s hesitant because of this and even if she looks around to seek help, Mino would only give her a nod to grant the wish and Jisoo would only push her to go on.

 

“S-Sure…” Jennie had no choice but to be polite and humble enough to accept.

 

And just before the woman could snap a photo, Alice came entering the café and tripped on the mat. This caused Jennie to snort and contained her laughter for she knew at the back of her mind, she purposely did that. She has been Chaeyoung’s watcher anyway, and she would do anything for her sister as what she had sworn to do for her.

 

“Sorry. I didn’t mean it.” Alice apologized to the woman who was maddened by her entrance and walked away without snapping the photo in the end.

 

“You didn’t have to be that hard.” Jennie said and walked back to the counter.

 

“Chaeng will interrogate you all night if that woman post your photos together on social media and she sees it. Would you want her to go out there just to choke that woman? She’ll become a criminal in an instant and it might be hard for me to defend her on the court if ever.” Alice had to say and went on choosing a cake for today on the glass displays.

 

Jennie sighs, “You’re right. I don’t want to give her reasons to feel jealous.”

 

“I’ll have the usual today. I’m quite in a rush because I have to go to the court today for a case again.” Alice settled and sighed along with Jennie.

 

While Mino packs what she asked for which they should already know as Alice has always been their fan and a regular customer, he asks out of curiosity, “Aren’t you going to buy one for Chaeyoung too?”

 

To which Alice reacts laughing, “Why should I still buy for that girl? The owner is her girlfriend. She can come here anytime she wants to and grab some with her.”

 

“Oh right. That’s a dumb thing to even ask.” Mino realized it himself and also chortled but in shame. “Anyway, how is she? Is she doing well? I haven’t seen her for quite long now since I’m already out whenever she decides to drop by here.” He then asked, both for Alice and Jennie whom he’s simultaneously looking at for answers.

 

“I haven’t told you?” Jennie wondered and Mino shakes off his head. “She’s been busy studying and reviewing on stuffs for her college admission. She passed her exams few days ago and today she’s going to have an interview with the school administrators and examiners.” She then disclosed and earned a satisfied nod from Mino.

 

“Who would have thought that Chaeyoung would be interested in going to college, right? I was honestly thinking she wouldn’t anymore.” Jisoo voiced out as she joins the conversation when customers again stopped from coming in.

 

“What course?” Mino asked interested.

 

Jennie replies proud, “Music-related course, what else?”

 

“I guess going to Australia together was really a good decision.” Alice conveyed and goes on sharing, “I heard from mom and dad that Jennie and Chaeng really had a good quality time together and Chaeyoung became serious with her life. Jennie really inspired her to rethink about her life without being controlled and finally found a path for herself. I have to say their relationship is really getting deeper.”

 

“Eh~ so that’s why Jennie has been blooming since they came back from Australia but until now she refuses to go into details about what really happened.” Jisoo hooted and Jennie blushed at her side.

 

Jennie however avoided all of them and as she marches back to the kitchen, she looks back at them one last time saying, “Whatever happened is just between us. You’ll never know.”

 

Her best friend is right. Since that day they arrived back from Australia, things started to get better and days are getting brighter. She has been blooming and even though they make small argument sometimes within those days, it never broke them apart, rather it made them stronger. And if Jennie has to add another best times of her life on her list, definitely her vacation in Australia, her lover’s hometown, would go on first without a doubt.

 

Jennie leaned her back against the kitchen’s table that still covered with flour as she reminisces those good days back in Australia. Chaeyoung never left her side, she toured her everywhere, even to her high school where she graduated. She was even brave enough to show Jennie where the accident happened, where the club is which had been closed down, and even accidentally met her exes but proudly introduced Jennie as her wife to them.

 

She was also introduced to Chaeyoung’s relatives wherein she was labelled as Chaeyoung’s ‘wifey’ repetitively. No matter how many times she tells Chaeyoung to stop doing it, not because she hates it but because she’s thrilled but embarrassed, she never stopped, rather she did it more and more until the whole town knew Jennie as Park Chaeyoung’s wife, as her better half in life which gained so much attention in the neighbors because finally, the once unruly and rebellious Park Chaeyoung they knew is now serious and focused in life.

 

Recalling these made her smile to herself, getting thrilled and delighted of her life so far with Chaeyoung. She never disclosed these events to anyone because she wants to keep these memories untouched and be scared into her heart. She doesn’t want it to be tainted by anything else because it’s too precious and too important for anyone to touch it.

 

“I wonder how Chaeng is doing right now.” Jennie then wondered at this moment she has nothing and no one in mind but her lover who is also facing an important day of her life.

 

Far from her girlfriend physically but certainly connected by their hearts, Chaeyoung is facing an important battle of her life. Though she is all alone, in this nerve-wrecking and crucial time, she has Jennie in her mind to lighten up her nervousness and lessen her trembles as she waits by the university’s corridor, waiting for her turn to be interviewed in this closed room where the interview is taking place.

 

The line is long but her turn is getting nearer. The others are younger than her by years and by just observing it, she can be one of the oldest examinees for today. They have their friends with them, taking this journey together but then again, she’s all alone. This didn’t bother her nonetheless because of this determination she’s holding onto, this life she wants to keep it right with the best possible decisions she thought of together with her girlfriend.

 

“Miss Park Chaeyoung.” One of the examiners came out of the room to call for her attention as it’s her turn at last.

 

“Yes, sir!” Chaeyoung responded politely and even though her heart is thumping loud, she managed to walk in with her head up.

 

In the middle of the room is a seat provided for her and in front is a long table where the panel of interviewers are settled. It’s cold thanks to the air conditioner and to make it worse, her nervousness is giving her chills. She never took schooling and studies seriously before and her lack of experience in this kind of field is causing her to be extraordinarily wary compared to the others.

 

Chaeyoung sat there as she fixed her blazer and her hair she tied in a neat bun as if she’s applying for a job for the first time. The panel consists of professionals and by just looking at them, Chaeyoung can tell they are the best professors of this university and particularly in this course she’s planning to take on. She can even hear herself gulping big and her heartbeats are too loud for her in this quiet room.

 

“So, Miss Chaeyoung. First of all congratulations on passing your written entrance exams.” The head of the panel started good to ease Chaeyoung’s apparent uneasiness.

 

“Thank you, sir.” Chaeyoung bowed.

 

As soon as Chaeyoung is seen calmed down at least for a bit, one of the interviewers started, “According to your essay that we asked you to do, you originally didn’t have plans to go into college. And your condition before, wherein you were blind and I’m sorry for saying it blunt, somehow also discouraged you to go on. Well, you’re lucky that you have your family to understand your decisions. Was it hard?”

 

“It was definitely hard for me.” Chaeyoung opened honest. “There wasn’t a time that it was easy. I graduated high school only because I had to and I had to meet my parents’ expectations and I was never really a serious person back in the days. I thought I’d rather live a life under my parents’ roof and take advantage of me being their daughter they cannot let get loose on the streets. Then I became blind, I lived in the darkness for so long, and it became a lot harder for me. Nothing was really easy for me in the past.” She elaborated eye-to-eye with the one who asked.

 

“What made you decide to come back to school again to study and get a degree?” The panel marveled.

 

Chaeyoung, this time, formed a warm smile on her lips which somewhat surprised the panel as she was only nervous seconds ago. “It’s because of someone who put back the light in my life.” She answered proud and loud but sincere. “When I thought there’s no way to go anymore, when I thought I reached the finish line of my useless life, and when I thought I cannot get any better anymore and could only got worse, I met this wonderful woman who changed my perspective in life. She reopened paths for me and being with her gave me this decision to come back and take this path. It was my decision to come back, she never dictated me. She suggested but she let me decide. She supported me without questions. She inspired me in all ways and here I am, taking this path together with her.”

 

The panel grinned at her story and nodded as they listened in satisfaction. Chaeyoung didn’t stutter a single word as she expressed her inspiration and admiration she has for her girlfriend. She didn’t stop in between her words because it came genuinely from her heart anyway. None of her answers are fabricated. Not a single letter was a lie. Everything’s open and true, genuine and real. Chaeyoung can never spill out false stories especially when it comes on how Jennie changed her life for good, for the betterment.

 

“Then… I’ll ask you some more question.” The chairman of the panel went on and checked on Chaeyoung’s data in their hands. “It’s written here that you came from a family of lawyers too. It’s quite intriguing that you didn’t choose the same path as them and instead you chose another course related to music. Why is this? Are you really into music?” He then questioned.

 

“Simply because I love music and I want to study it better than what I know. It’s my passion ever since I was younger and I want to enhance it even better and expand my knowledge more.” Chaeyoung answered straightforward and confident. “I get that comment a lot, that I should be taking a law course too just because my parents and my sister did so. But I don’t think that’s right. Just because they did, that doesn’t mean I have to follow. Though I respect their suggestions back in the days that I should, by the end of the day I will never be happy with something I never really wanted to do. This is something that I learned from my girlfriend; that I should choose my own path because in the first place, it’s my life and I will be the one to nourish it, that I shouldn’t be dictated by the pressure as long as I know that I’m not doing anything wrong and keeping the respect I have for other people.” She expressed longer for them to understand where she’s coming from.

 

“Your girlfriend must be very patient on you and a very inspiring person that you’re learning a lot from her as what we’re hearing from you.” The panel commended and even teased Chaeyoung by lowly laughing at her flustered expression.

 

Chaeyoung timidly scratches her head as she realized that she’s connecting Jennie to every answer she gives. “Well, she’s the one who changed my life so… yeah… she’ll always be with me by heart though she’s currently busy working right now.” She said more and others would have cringed on themselves for saying but for Chaeyoung this cheesiness is exciting her and missing Jennie more she’s starting to get eager to meet her with the results for today.

 

“This is just the first part of the interview, just to remind you. We’ll have more later on so stay prepared and alerted, okay? So far you’re doing well so don’t be nervous. Make your girlfriend proud and yourself too. We’ll see you later.” The head of the panel encouraged her before they formally dismissed her for the meantime.

 

Chaeyoung walked out of the room with a huge breathe of relief, at least for now that she’s sent off. She checked on her time and it’s still noon and she still has a long way to go before this battle ends for her. She cannot possibly call her girlfriend in this busy hour for she understands she’s tied at work but she isn’t going to sulk about it. However she badly needs someone to talk with at this moment she has a spare time to prepare herself for the next rounds and if there’s one, then it’s no other than her sister who would pick up the call anytime for her.

 

“Unnie, sorry I called you all of a sudden.” Chaeyoung said as soon as Alice picked up her call, sitting by the empty staircases of the university’s building.

 

Driving, Alice put her phone on a loud speaker as she responds, “It’s alright. I wanted to call you too and ask how your interviews are going.”

 

“I think I passed the first one since they are going to call me for the next phase. I never thought it’s going to be this nerve-wrecking. It’s actually tough or maybe it’s just that I’ve never taken school seriously that’s why I’m being jumpy and nervous.” Chaeyoung voiced out in a sigh, patting her pounding heart in nervousness that hasn’t completely faded away.

 

“Oh c’mon… You’ll be just fine. Trust me. Just think of your girlfriend and you’ll be alright. You always do that.” Her sister smirked at the thought of Chaeyoung getting all thrilled with just this simple advice.

 

And she is right, Chaeyoung indeed formed this smile on her lips as soon as Jennie once again entered her mind. It’s been long months since then when they started this serious relationship and not a day Chaeyoung stopped falling in love with her girlfriend. In fact, she falls harder every day and she wouldn’t dare to stop her heart from going any deeper if it’s even possible. Small silly arguments were present during these healthy months they are together but it never backed them down, rather it made her resolve be firmer than ever before.

 

“Did you go to the café? How’s Jennie doing?” Chaeyoung casually asked her sister.

 

“Oh I did and guess what?” Alice started to say to sister she knows whose face darkened at her evil giggles. “There’s this woman, she’s a customer and I think Lisa’s fan too. She was there trying to flirt with her when she recognized that Jennie is the patissier but I stepped in and I intentionally pushed her in your behalf.” She then laughed louder and even almost beating the red light of the traffic.

 

Chaeyoung puts her fist on and grumbles, “Who is she? Tell me. No one dares to flirt with my woman!”

 

“Woah, calm down. I already said I took care of her and Jennie wouldn’t dare to look at other women. She’s too in love with you she cannot even eye on others.” Alice immediately soothed as she knows well how bad her sister turns into when she’s jealous especially when others try to get her girlfriend’s attention without her around.

 

“Damn, my girlfriend is really beautiful that everyone just keeps going after her, huh?” Chaeyoung groaned but her mind if blocked with her girlfriend’s loveliness whose beauty keeps radiating throughout.

 

Without even looking at her physically, Alice can already imagine how her sister is daydreaming of her girlfriend so much to the point she would cringe from head to toe. “Okay, stop that. I know you’re starting to imagine things again. But just remember this, Jennie wouldn’t do anything to disappoint you. So I’m telling you now, you better not do anything to disappoint her too, you got it?” She strictly warned.

 

Chaeyoung nods assured, “Yeah unnie. I know that. Don’t worry.”

 

“How can I not worry about my sister? It’s my job to keep worrying about you and look after you until we get old.” Alice hummed and grinned as she heard Chaeyoung whining, thinking she is already shrinking from her sweet words. 

 

“Anyway unnie, I have to prepare myself. I don’t know what time they’ll call me back so I have to stay prepared and wait in front of the interview room.” Chaeyoung said as she stood up but only heard a quiet yes from her sister. Hence she tells her serious and sincere, “Thank you unnie, for being here for me always.”

 

“Just thank me once you’ve graduated and found a stable job to secure your life with Jennie.” Alice ended the call before they even become emotional.

 

If this is her past self, Chaeyoung wouldn’t have thanked her sister instead she would take her for granted and go on with her life without showing how thankful she truly is. If this was her past self, she wouldn’t be this expressive towards her sister and even to their parents. If this was her from those wild younger years, she would have ignored everything and went back home to lay down on her bed and play with her guitar. But in this present time, and for her own future’s sake, here she is courageously taking on this challenge while appreciating everyone around her.

 

The time ticks fast for the day until the late afternoon came and the sun is setting beautifully up in the sky. The cherry blossoms of the season are being kissed by the orange sun rays, the petals swaying along with the mild cold wind. It’s a quiet afternoon for the town as the people go along with the peace that the season brings, relaxing and cozy even after a whole day of busy works.

 

As the business hours come to an end, the café has reached its closing time as well, just like their neighboring stores. As per usual goal of any business, the racks are emptied, the coffee supplies for the day are out and every goods they sell are wiped out. It’s satisfying to look at, especially when the tables and chairs have already been fixed to formally end a day of endless works.

 

Jennie assembled her staffs and as she stands in front of them, she formally bows, “Everyone, t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter