Chapter 3: In the Compound.

The Signalverse

Danny woke up with a stiff neck. He opened his eyes and saw pitch black. He tried moving around but felt that his limbs were tied up. He struggled a bit more before he heard a voice.

“Stop moving around. You’ll get rope burn.”

The black in front of his eyes was swiftly pulled off. Danny blinked a few times to adjust to the light change before he looked up and saw nine figures standing before him.

“Who are you?” Danny asked.

“We’ll be asking the questions.” One of them said, grabbling his head and pushing it down.

Danny sighed, then his head shot up. A familiar scent invaded his nose.

Lavenders? Wait. Can it be?

“Where is Sana?”

One of the figures gasped. Another hit her head.

“Ow! T! Why did you do that?”

“You’re not supposed to gasp C.”

“Guys be quiet!” A third person joined in.

“Sorry Y...”

“Anyways.” One of them walked up to Danny.

The way she presents herself, she looks like the leader.

“We are TWICE, an organization created by the president to regulate major crimes and take down wanted villains.” She said.

“And I you think I am a villain?” Danny asked. “I’m just a CEO.”

“We know who you are.” She snapped.

She pulled out a file. The file had his picture on it.

“Danny Trinh. Vietnamese. Age 25. Born to undocumented immigrants. Wanted for 12 counts of theft, 12 counts of breaking and entering, and 1 count of murder.” She read.

“I guess you do know a lot about... wait murder?” Danny was shocked.

“Yes. Murder. You killed a Park Jin-Young 15 years ago. The statute of limitations already passed, but the president lets anyone we catch get sentenced for any and all charges we see fit.”

“I’ve never killed anyone before. And I don’t know who that is.”

“Don’t lie to me. Just admit that you did it. It’ll be easier on you.”

“I’m serious. I don’t know who he is.”

“Yes you do!” She grabbed his arm and started squeezing it.

“Ow! That hurts! Let go!” Danny writhed in pain.

“After everything he did for your mom after your dad left you, you go repaying him by framing him for murder and getting him sentenced to life in prison!” She squeezed harder.

“Please! Stop!” Danny’s face started turning red.

“What’s worse is you also stole everything from him! His company, his money, and even his family!” She started breathing hard. “Did you know what his family had to go through? His wife? His daughter? Did you even care?!” She let go of his arm and wrapped a hand around his neck.

Danny started choking.

“I... Jin-Young... daughter...” Danny’s eves widened. “Ji... hyo...”

She let go of him. The sudden influx of oxygen made him cough uncontrollably. Danny looked up at the figure. She matched his eyes.

“It really is you... Jihyo-ah. I’ve missed you.”

Jihyo slapped him.

“I don’t care. You took my father from me and made me, and my mom suffer.”

“Jihyo please-”

Jihyo pulled out a gun and pointed it at Danny’s head.

“One more word about me or my family and I will kill you, do you understand.”

Danny nodded.

Jihyo put the gun away. She walked back to the other people.

“I just have one question.”

Jihyo turned back to him and glared.

“What?”

“Did you capture Sana too or is she one of the ones standing next to you?” Danny asked.

Jihyo blinked three times.

“We captured her too. She is in another room.”

Danny nodded.

“Thank you for keeping her safe.” He flashed a grin at her.

Jihyo looked away. She walked out the door. Soon the rest of TWICE followed her out. The last member looked at Danny for a few seconds, then turned to leave.

“Wait!”

She turned around.

“Sana, I know it’s you.” Danny smiled.

The person’s breaths got a bit harder.

“I-I’m not-”

“I know Jihyo was lying. She blinks three times before she lies.”

“I’m really-”

“Please Sana. You’ve already lied to me before. Don’t lie to me again.”

The person sighed.

“Okay Danny. I won’t.”

“Thank you.”

Sana walked over to Danny and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

“I’m sorry Danny.”

Sana exited the room. Danny started tearing up.

I forgive you.


The next few days Danny was in hell. He was fed scraps to keep him alive. Jihyo would come in the room and beat on him till he would pass out, then would leave and repeat when he woke up. Sana would come in and tend to his wounds but wouldn’t talk to him. At night Danny dreamed of his mother, Jihyo. and Sana.

“I’m sorry...” He murmured.

The next morning he decided he had enough.

“Alright! I want to talk to Jihyo!” Danny yelled.

The room suddenly burst open. Jihyo came walking in, this time with a whip. Danny was terrified. He started trying to scoot back his chair to no avail.

“What?! What do you want?!” Jihyo snarled.

Jihyo swung her whip at Danny, leaving a gash on his right cheek.

“Jihyo! Stop!”

Sana rushed in and yanked the whip out of Jihyo’s hand. The sudden movement made Jihyo flinch, flicking the whip back to her and cutting Sana’s arms.

“Sana!” Danny cried.

Danny quickly untied the rope binding him to the chair and rushed to Sana.

“She needs immediate medical attention. Get me rubbing alcohol, antibacterial spray, and some bandages.”

The others were in shock.

“How did you-”

“Worry about me getting free later! Focus on helping Sana now!” Danny yelled.

A short tiger-looking person ran out of the room and quickly came back with the medical supplies.

Danny looked at Sana.

“Bite me.”

“What?” Sana asked, confused.

“You’re gonna feel a lot of pain. Bite on my shoulder.”

“O-Okay.”

Sana bit down gently. Danny started treating her wound. Danny started with the rubbing alcohol. With every wipe Sana would bite down harder. Danny’s face showed that he was in pain, but he kept focus on the task at hand. When Danny sprayed the antibacterial, Sana squealed and clamped down, hard enough to draw blood. Danny bit his lip and clenched his eyelids shut for a second, then proceeded to bandage up the cut. When he finished, he smiled at his handiwork.

“I’ve finished.” Danny announced.

Sana stopped biting on Danny’s shoulder and looked at her bandaged arm. She looked at Danny and smiled. Danny smiled back. Sana’s eyes drifted to Danny’s shoulder and saw her bite marks. They were bleeding.

“Oh my gosh Danny! I’m so sorry!” Sana grabbed the medical supplies and started trying to patch up his wound. In her haste she knocked over the rubbing alcohol and it spilled.

Danny picked up the bottle and grabbed some towels to mop up the alcohol. Danny then grabbed Sana’s hands.

“It’s okay Sana. Just calm yourself a bit.”

Sana looked into Danny’s eyes.

“I’m sorry Danny. For everything.” Sana started to cry.

Danny wiped away her tears. Danny cupped her cheeks with his hands.

“It’s okay Sana. You were just doing your job. I forgive you.” Danny smiled.

Sana grabbed the hands on her face and pulled them off, intertwining their fingers. She leaned closer. Danny leaned in too. Their lips met.

*Bang! *

Sana and Danny jumped away. They turned and saw Jihyo with her fist on the table.

“Sana go rest up. Now.”

Sana nodded. She looked at Danny and waived at him. Danny waived back and motioned her to go. Sana walked out of the room. After Sana left, Jihyo grabbed Danny by the ear and dragged him into the chair. She got chains and wrapped it around him, securing them with a padlock. She turned to leave.

“Jihyo.”

Jihyo turned around and grabbed Danny’s collar.

“What?”

Danny let out a soft breath.

“I’ll tell you everything. Everything from when my family entered your life, till before you captured me.”

Jihyo took a deep breath. She went to the door and locked it. She pulled up a chair and sat down in front of him. She glared at him.

“Fine. Spill.”

“Okay. Prepare yourself.”

This is gonna be a long night.