Runaway Baeby

Kaleidoscope Sky
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: first of all, forgive the pun in the title XD second, this story is loosely based on the movie Chasing Liberty (starring Mandy Moore & Matthew Goode) which is about the presidential daughter wanting to have a little more freedom to live her life, she ran away with some boy that she didn't know was actually a secret agent assigned to her. The rest is history. However, in this one, Irene is a daughter of a wealthy and influential man, but same situation -- not having enough freedom to live her life which led her to act a little rebellious. Wannie is an agent who needed to redeem herself.

But this is all I got (so far) if I decide to continue writing it though, I'll delete it from here to avoid confusion.

__ __

Lowered blinds, walls heavily lined with books, a single bulb of light overhead and the silent hum of the vent made the senior executive’s office more intimidating than usual.

“Right,” the older man in the pinstriped suit said, he was leaning back on the swivel chair behind the antique rosewood desk. A folder of files landed on the table as he carelessly tossed it atop the other papers.

“You’re out of this case,” he told the couple of smartly-dressed young adults standing stiff in front of him.

“Sir-” the male one protested quickly, but the man shot him a sharp look.

“With all due respect, sir,” he tried again, casting his eyes down. “Our covers weren’t blown yet, and I’ll do everything in my power for that one mistake to never happen again.”

“Your identities were already compromised,” the man replied dryly. “I’m sorry, but I think I’ve made my position quite clear.”

“Sir, if I may-”

“You may not,” the man raised his unsympathetic eyes on both of them. “We’re done here.”

The younger man sighed dejectedly but started to walk to the double doors of the office, the other one however, refused to move an inch.

“The woman was gunned down right in front of our eyes,” the female agent said quietly, her head still bowed, strands of hair framing her face. “Are you saying that you’re kicking us out because we tried to save her life?”

The suited man rested his elbows on the table and glared at her.

“Your orders didn’t include saving her life, Ms. Shon.”

“I only did what I think is right,” she retorted. “In any angle, saving a life of an innocent was never wrong.”

“Whether it was right or wrong, it wasn’t your call to make.”

The executive rose from his chair and laid his palms flat on the desk’s surface. “You scored high on both written and practical assessments, but it seems like we overestimated your skills. Maybe you’re just not ready yet.”

The girl lifted her chin and looked the man straight in the eyes, her jaw locked in defiance.

“I apologize if I have this peculiar affliction called compassion, sir. It makes me actually care for other people sometimes.”

“We didn’t hire you for your compassion, agent,” the man spat at her, getting irritated. “You have strict instructions and you failed them, that’s why I’m kicking you out of the case. Now go.”

The girl’s companion tugged at her arm, leading her out.

“If you want employees without feelings, Dad,” she said before going out of the door. “Hire some robots.”

_

“You know it’s not about having feelings or compassion,” Sungjae loosened his tie after they’ve gone out of the office. “He was talking about professionalism.”

“He wasn’t talking professionalism,” Wendy muttered darkly, avoiding the stares the other operatives are giving them as they walked down the hall. “It’s perfection, it’s always about perfection.”

“I’m sorry if I’m not perfect, but at least I’m not a hypocrite.”

Sungjae ran a hand through his dark hair. “You just love arguing with your father, don’t you?”

The girl blew air from her nose and shrugged.

“Bickering is the foundation of our relationship. Shooting each other down is our way of bonding.”

The boy sighed and put his hands in his pockets. “I wish my dad’s as laid-back as yours…”

Wendy threw a glance his way, her eyes softer.

“I could a file an appeal that whatever happened back then was all me, which is the truth. You don’t deserve to be kicked out.”

Sungjae smiled at her but shook his head.

“No way, we’re partners. Your mistake, my mistake.”

“Then prepare yourself for more mistakes, my friend. Because there’s a lot more coming,” Sungjae looked crestfallen as Wendy grinned at him impishly.

“I never doubted it.”

He pushed the button of the elevator when they finally reached the end of the hallway.

“Going back to LA, need some off time for a bit,” Sungjae turned to Wendy. “Do you want to come with me?”

The latter chuckled, punching him lightly on the shoulder.

“Stop tempting me because with all these stuffs going on, I might actually consider your offer.”

“In that case, I might actually try harder.” Sungjae winked at her and smirked.

Wendy rolled her eyes and sighed dramatically. “I’m warning you, I’m a notorious heartbreaker. And as your colleague and confidant, I’d hate to break your heart.”

“Oh, I wouldn't mind, Shon Seungwan. It would be a privilege to have my heart broken by you.”

“Oi,” Wendy raised a menacing brow at him, but there was a shadow of smile on her lips. “I’ve read that book, so don’t you go quoting John Green on me now.”

Sungjae la

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter