Sun and her smile(II)

Embracing dusk

Yongsun's face turned into bewilderment. By the look on her face I could say that she's confused to what I just blurted out. I winced at my stupidity to just deliver the information to her she probably does not even know what it means, heck who has time to go sit and search what do you call someone that is a lover of a sun that is weird as I don't know, really weird. Yong tilted her head before finally forming a question to ask. She squints her eyes.

"You lost me at 'I'm', pardon?" She then sat beside me we sit there face to face as she plays with my fingers, don't think I didn't notice when she slowly entagled our fingers like it's the most casual thing in the world. Her brows met searching for answers and waiting for an explanation on my prior statement. I stared blankly at her and thought that she is the most beautiful thing I have seen, still surreal for someone like me.

"I love the sun, well who doesn't, right?" I said sarcastically, Yongsun just smiled which I took as she was urging me to continue.

"Alright heliopile is any organism or someone who is attracted to sunlight not just attracted. Loves, adores and any other synonymous words to that word, and that any organism and someone is me, I am a heliophile unnie" I didn't get a response for I don't know how much amount of time.

"Yep, that's me a heliophile, and you can talk now unnie, not like it's a groundbreaking thing for me--"

"You're amazing, I mean- I mean it's amazing" She cut me off. My silly expression turned into a smile that I can't seem to remove. She thought that I'm amazing although I don't believe her, knowing that she thinks of me that way makes me feel like a middle school student again when my first crush waved at me at the hallway, damn those butterflies. But what really made my heart flutter is when she proposed that we should go out often during the day instead of our late night walks, although I would not trade our late night talks, walks and drive for anything as tempting a date under the sun sounds.

"Are you in trouble? " Yongsun asked from the other line, so I finally decided to call for help, I don't mind spending my night at her apartment and staying awake at ungodly hours if it means I can finish my concept. This is due on Monday and I have a lot of things to do in order to get this task done.

"Yes unnie, uhhhh" I whined like a baby whose waiting for its milk. I complained about my stuff and how Seulgi is not being a good help at this moment. She said that she would be home a little late but told me that she would fetch me on her way home. I packed my things as soon as we bid our goodbyes on our phone call. I'm looking forward tonight without any certain reason, or maybe it goes by the name Yongsun​​​​​​, I winced at my own thoughts. I just can't believe that we are this close, truth be told if someone asked me months ago if I picture myself spending this amount of time with a girl like Yongsun unnie I would have laugh in their faces, but now even milliseconds bothers me so much when unnie is not around.

I walked my way to the bus stop, unnie told me to wait at my place but I can't stay there any longer, silence is killing me, I swear I will get back on Seulgi soon.

"Yah Byulyi!" A car stopped in front and a lively yongsun showed, the weather has been off, and I assumed it's gonna rain as I walk here, actually it was for a while now, plus I'm not really in the mood for everything, this project is really taking its toll on me, this isn't even that major. It's like fundamentals of photography, but hey now, as soon as I got a glimpse of Yongsun the rainy and gloomy night is a bright sunny day, it almost feels like sunrays touches my skin. I think I got lost for a minute there because the next thing I know unnie was snapping her fingers to my face.

"Hop in, punk" Yongsun said informally, which I really don't mind, in all honesty I think it's endearing that we are now this close to each other. We drove off on the way to her apartment, it felt longer than it was, but im not complaining, never will.

"Where were you?" I asked, the little smile that her lips exhibited gave an unusual feelings to my gut, of course it would not go unnotice. And whatever the reason that made her smile like this I know it genuinely makes her happy. And when she speak of his name I suddenly felt something in my stomach, now i'm not sure if a stomach could feel jealousy. I cleared away the thought immediately.

 "Yah unnie, let's buy food before going to your apartment" I suggested, I saw Yongsun was taken aback as she notice me playing with the window's switch

"Byulyi! Stop it, hey" Yongsun playfully slap my hand that is sitting between us.

"Okay, let's get something to eat, what do you want? I'll buy tteokbokki" So much for asking my interest for tonight. I surrendered to what she wants, I'm not starving anyway I just want to make sure she's not gonna get hungry later. We talked about my project as we drove our way to tteokbokki store and to her apartment. I wanted to ask more information about Haneul oppa but before I could talk I realized that we have arrived to unnie's apartment, besides on how I know Yongsun, I know she would definitely talk about him later tonight probably as long as they are dating I'm gonna keep hearing his name. 

"Wheein is asking us out on weekend, did you receive her message?" Yongsun inquired, I went directly to her kitchen to grab a carton of milk once we got inside her den. I don't think I received any messages from Wheein but I realized that I haven't check my phone for a while, since Yong and I talked.

I finally met those two, and im not exaggerating it when I say that Wheein is the cutest human being I encountered, it flows naturally on her, I know that Yongsun is a human sunshine however in Wheein's case she's a walking rainbow she doesn't even want to admit it. As for Hyejin at first she was kind of intimidating well I learned that, that is how she wants to present herself, 'You're doing a great job on that area' I told her, turns out she's just as baby as Wheein talking about two very close friends who tends to mimic each other. The two of them enjoys eating, no wonder we got along and Hyejin seems to have learned the art of it. Honestly, I feel good that I found new friends that is not from my university.

"When you're free you should tell them" 

"Why, you're not coming?" I asked puzzled. And by now I have finally realized that unnie is the type of woman that when it comes to dating she's dedicated and however still manage to have time with her peers. Turns out that Haneul and Yongsun will be going out on a date this weekend, and she already planned everything out. Now that I think about it, I have not met him yet. 

Our night consisted of my trash concept and Yongsun's idealistic ones, plus her adoration over Haneul oppa, I didn't lie when I said that that's what she's gonna do through the night right? She talks about him a lot I might as well marry the guy. 

'He did this' 

'He did that' 

'He opened the door for me' 

'He pet the dog' Damn it, even petting a dog is a cute thing now??

'He brought me to this amazing tea place' 

'He tells me story from his childhood' Okay that's cute gotta give that to him. 

'He sends me flowers'  Oh damn this weird tape worm-like feeling to my tummy, intestine you okay down there or is the jealousy being too much, I mocked and punch myself mentally. And damn this little crush. 

"Unnie can I sleep here? My class is not until 1PM tomorrow, I'll go as early as-" 

"You can live here" She took me by surprise 

"Wha-what?" I took it that my expression gave everything I had in mind in a matter of seconds because unnie is in a mess laughing at me. 

"I'm just kidding dumb dumb, of course you could stay" I exhaled, finally able to take in all the air that seemed to have gone missing for a minute there. I threw a chip that I was about to eat at her and explained that I'm just planning to leave early because I would like to take a walk and witness the sunrise.

"Byul-ah" Yongsun called softly, I'm getting accustomed to her calling my name, and something with that is making me undeniably sappy and I think it has something to do with the way it rolled out from her tongue or I just like her a little too much, I'm not really sure. 

"What about anonymity with the use of sunrays, either sunset or sunrise would do, look I know you may have used the sun as your subject for a lot of times" She emphasized the lot like it was the most obvious thing about me, she's not wrong either. 

"But the idea here is using it to put an anonymity to a person, which is going to be your subject" She continued, I have never done this concept before to be honest, sure photographer I know started using little objects to cover a face just to send anonymity, maybe sun was used to cover someone but the idea here is different, I put a lot of thought in this particular idea. And when we finally agreed to it, we sat down relaxed, finishing the now cold tteokbokki. 

"Do you like him that much?" I asked in the middle of her story about Haneul, she loses her smile and meet my eyes, the dim light focusing on her brown orbs, not to be dramatic or anything but her eyes is as beautiful as it is whenever the sunlight hits it. 

"I have dated numbered of guys Byulyi, and I'm not lying when I tell you that those boys are not half as good as him. He was so patient to me, and he respect my decision last year when I told him that I'm focusing on my career, instead of going out with some other girls he waited, yes he does asked me out every once in a while that time but he was just giving me a sign that he's still there, waiting and-and I think that's wonderful. He always ask me if I'm free before asking me out, making sure that he's not being a hindrance to my schedule, and to be honest I feel bad for it, that I make him feel that way, he never showed that he felt emasculated that he's dating a career-oriented woman, he supports me all the way, so I guess my answer is yes, I like him that much" Well , Byulyi. I think I didn't bat an eye as this woman infront of me talks, as she finished talking I blink a few times like I was in a trance for an hour, she really adores him and he's a real gentleman, beats me to it. I didn't know what to say, so I will just choose my go-to response. 

"But not as much as you like this tteokbokki" I lift the bowl to her face. Yes that is my go-to response, a joke, I slapped myself internally. 

"You've never dated someone, have you?" Yongsun asked eagerly. Okay I have tasted my own medicine and it is bitter. I glanced at the ceiling and put my fingers to my lips to pretend that I'm thinking. I moved from my position briskly. 

"You know-" I laughed nervously, why on earth am I being nervous? Why? I don't know. I tapped my index finger on my lips and squint my eyes. 

"Huh" I tried and I can tell that Yongsun is holding a laughter. I pointed my finger at her. 

"Maybe I did, maybe I- uh, it's a petty dating thing, petty break up, don't wanna talk about it" I finally succumbed to defeat and decided to reveal my failed relationship. 

"I just assumed that you've never dated anyone, why are you getting weird about it Byul" I can tell that she's more than amuse with the situation I'm currently in and with the way she cackles, oh I'm sure she's making fun of me. I'm not that much of a loser. Not my fault that Shi-ah asked me if she can kiss a boy, I mean who the hell does that? So I broke up with her, it's really petty, but we were 16 and we're all good now. 

"Why don't you tell me about him then?" Yongsun asked proudly as she leaned back to her couch. Sometimes people gauge in an instance that I'm not straight or that I like girls, but all the damn time people tend to be Yongsun, where they assume that I am straight, don't I give the gay vibes? Or straight people just doesn't have that gay radar. 

"Well unnie, you might wanna change your question to tell me about her" I told her hesitantly, she was a bit flabbergasted I could tell. She moved back a little, which is her normal response whenever she gets surprise. She then smiled and moved closer.

"Okay then, tell me about her" She gestured her hand which implied me to go on about my story. I would be lying if I say that I was not surprise to her reaction, she didn't even flinch as she speaks, talking about sincerity. She snapped a finger to my face when I fell into a trance again. It's becoming a habit to me, maybe I should see a doctor for this. Okay, now that's me overreacting. 

"Yeah, yeah about her, well she's a little loud but also a cutesy, she was crushing on me" I speak boastfully. 

"Ahh, talking about taking advantage huh" 

"Yah unnie! I didn't do such thing, I was the one who developed a crush first, when she discovered that I have this huge girl crush on her, she went from being a normal friend to full blown fangirl, that is something I could not resist. We had fun together, we're 16 for God's sake, we had everything we wanted, until she wanted to kiss a guy from her class, which because my bestfriend Minji told me that it's normal, and that there's a possibility that Shi-ah is experimenting. She didn't seem like one when she's all over my face and shoving her tongue to my mouth" I stated my last words sarcastically, and gosh the bitterness of my own words still tasted, boy first heartbreak does last. 

"I don't want to speak for her, or speak badly about her, but that kinda " 

"I know right? But I moved on, and if she's right here now and asks me to go out or make out" 

"Yeah?" Yongsun asked proudly, like she knows what I'm about to say. 

"I'd jump into her in a matter of seconds" She squinted her eyes, obviously not liking what I said, I cackled at my own statement. She pound on me playfully. 

"You punk, you run, that's the idea you run away from her" I kept laughing and nodding and mumbling I know​​​​​​, but it's true though, she's as beautiful as she was, so I'll say yes to that girl.

Later that night, I found myself trapped with Yongsun's embrace, the bed never felt this cozy before. She breathes evenly to my ear, which I know later will send me to sleep. Her shampoo smells so good, what is she using, I think I need to change mine, I'm beginning to think that God put a lot of effort creating this woman, until now He's still working on her, her little snores are even cute. What is it with Yongsun and everything that she has and does is so adorable.

The next morning I woke up to Yongsun lightly rubbing her hand to my arm, I have my left eye half opened, I would like to know why is she waking me up at this ungodly hour. I know I told her that I'll leave early, but not as early as, I asked her what time is it. Yes not as early as 3:20AM, damn this unnie. She kept calling my name, I might as well answer Yes call my name, louder​​​​​​, I'm really kind of pissed of by now, I sat up and asked her why is she doing this to me.

"Let's go for a drive, come on" Then the bed felt lighter, she got up and when I opened both my eyes I saw her in pyjamas and a sweater, now I just want to go back to sleep with her. Anyhow she lured successfully me when she mentioned a sunrise, okay I'm that easy girl, whatever.

"Does this involve eating? Caus that would be a lot nicer" I asked lazily as we walked outside towards her car. It's freaking dark what was she thinking, I didn't even remember her setting an alarm at this hour. She must have notice me walking like a zombie that has not eaten a single brain yet because the next thing I felt is her warm hand grasping mine as she dragged me inside her car. On our way to somewhere I don't know, I tried sleeping but this unnie is alarmingly talkative at three in the morning, so I was forced to make a conversation with her.

"We should do this often, I'm really enjoying this, this is kind of healthy"

"Unnie, it's not healthy for someone who slept at 1AM to wake up at 3 you know, and that someone is me" I pointed at myself. She laughed a little, as she looked at me dearly. Do I hold the stars now or what? Her smile was enough to wake me up, I suddenly forgot the need to witness the sunrise today. I could never keep my eyes off of her. The song suddenly gone muffled and all my mind could muster is how can I not adore this woman right here. I asked if we can open the windows since it's still early, so she did. And the cold breeze of Seoul hits my face, and the feeling is there, it's back, the weird feeling whenever we're in a car driving to some destination that I'm not sure of. Seoul never felt like home before, until I'm sitting in a front seat with Yongsun driving the car. She asked me about something, I barely understand it, I just went with my instincts.

 

"I wanna be yours"