Sun and her smile (I)

Embracing dusk

It's Thursday night and I can't think of a concept for our project and Seulgi is out there partying, I called Hani our classmate which is another close friend of mine and turns out that she has no idea for our project yet as well. I'm on the dead end I have listed all the concept I can think of, I took another glance of my scratch paper.

"Would you look at that blank paper Byulyi" I said sarcastically trying to chastise myself. Maybe I should just go back to my sad hours, I checked the time, nope it is past my sad hours and I just did that an hour ago. I took my camera and scroll through the images I took. I stopped at this certain photo of Yongsun, I smiled as I stare at the photo, she's sitting in front of window her one leg up against her chest and the other casually almost hitting the floor either she's that small or the chair is really tall, while she's holding a mug as she gradually sips through it.

I remember that day the first time I went to her apartment just to get some help for our mini project, because I figured that Yongsun has an odd fondness to arts and stuff and that she comes up with great ideas. I called her when I failed to get some decent response from Seulgi.

"Are you in trouble?" She started.

"Nope but I may need your help" I worded hesistantly, I thought that she might be busy or getting ready for sleep, as I explained to her my situation and the kind of assistance that I need, she asked if I wanna come over instead of meeting somewhere. 

"I--uh yeah, no maybe, would that be okay?" I asked stupidly I made a mental note to bury myself later, lately I've been being weird around Yongsun unnie and I think I know what is happening. Unnie proposed that she would pick me up at the bus station however I insist of just going there on my own since it's getting late and im the one asking for favor.

As Yongsun opened the door, the first thing I notice is the loud walls painted in yellow, who am I kidding the first thing I notice are her legs because she's wearing an oversized shirt and I don't think there is a lot of garment beneath. Christ, im gay not a ert stop staring Byul. 

"Come in, make yourself comfortable. I have a lot of foods there" She proposes.

"I came for help not to eat" As she took out some food from the fridge and an ice cream I think I lost it. 

"But eating doesn't sound so bad" I said quickly, changing my mind as I put down my things by the kitchen island. Her apartment doesn't have room it is a studio type, actually it is more like a loft type, her window is unnecessarily huge and her bed is queen sized, as I have mentioned earlier walls painted in yellow. The room is so bright it got me thinking that this is where the sun resides. We moved to the living hall she flopped down to her couch and I sat on the floor parallel to her. I can't say that we didn't take too much time on contemplating and concluding the best concept we can harbor from our brain, because we did. I think we spent two hours brain storming, mostly me rejecting her ideas but it's all good im just really picky I guess. But her patience is unfaltering. Plus I can't stop staring whenever she pauses to ponder on a little deeper from her prior idea, her eyes squinting a little and ajar while she taps her fingers on the table. I can't even take my attention off of her visuals when she finally mumble something she would smile as she finish her thoughts then she'd say something I can't understand, so I had to asked her to repeat which took a lot of time. When I thought that there are enough ideas written down. I lied down on the floor and so did Yongsun on the couch.

"Yah, byul-ah" She called softly, I hummed in response. 

"Remember the guy I was talking to you about?" 

"Kang Ha-neul was it? The one who's been asking you out? What about him?" 

"Yeah well we are sort of going out" She stopped waiting for my response 

"Ah" The disappointment was evident to my voice and I don't even know why, apparently this Ha-neul guy has been asking Yongsun out for like forever, hyperbole aside he has been asking her for a year, that's what she told me. And if we're talking based on what Yongsun unnie's stories he's nice and a gentleman but I still want to meet him, not that my opinion would matter.

"Well you know that whatever you say count, right?" Yongsun spoke interrupting my thoughts and opposing to it as well, my heart fluttered to what she just said, I know that we have been open to each other since we met and we tell a lot about each other but I didn't think that my opinion would matter when it comes to her dating life.

"It does?" I paused, and she's staring at me like i have grown three heads

"It does" I stated. She sat beside me and ran her fingers to my arms.

"So I'll introduce him to you" I was taken aback, I haven't even met Wheein and Hyejin yet and they are the people that I envisioned to meet not someone she will date in the future or dating, whatever. 

"Will I get to meet Wheein and Hyejin" I asked non-chalantly 

"Yah! It wasn't them and surely it was not me who cancelled the day before our date."

"I'm just asking dumb dumb, since i'm meeting this guy I remembered my priority"  She mocked me for saying the the two were my priorities not even her, told her that she is on top of my list and I got to hear her calling me "isanghae", AGAIN. Before we wrap everything up we ate instant ramyeon but I finished earlier since I want to go home and sleep the only thing my mind can think of is closing my eyes. 

"You should sleep here Byul-ah" Yongsun insist brushing her hand to my arm, her concern is evident to her voice. It is cringey but there is something from the way she stare and gave her lopsided smile, it's not much but it felt like it brigthen the whole apartment, there is something with the way she talks that just go straight through my stomach and flatters my heart., Seulgi might conclude something here as for me im not gonna go to that idea. This will be the first time that we will sleep together, im not nervous, I kept telling myself. I mentally listed down the reasons of this emotion creeping out tonight. I finished taking a quick shower, Yongsun unnie let me borrow her pyjamas which is really cute, if I may say, As I got out of the bathroom, Yongsun is already sleeping, I know she easily drop off to sleep but I didn't know it was this quick, because it felt like I only spent ten minutes in there. I wanted to take a picture of her and I almost did but I backed away, remembering her privacy. It's enough that I take a LOT of candid shots from her. I was startled when she mumbled that staring is not good, asking me if my parents didn't teach that. How did she even know that I was staring. I look around the area, and stopped immediately feeling like a dumb thinking that there are cameras in here but I waved strenuously in front of her, she got a grip of my arm and berate me softly. 

She pats on the other side of the bed and lowly said "Go to sleep, Byul" 

My body feels heavy, with Yongsun it always feel comfortable. Everything is easy, talking about almost everything the things I couldn't tell my family, either eating early in the morning or late at night with her, walking without words needed, or just for the sake of being together we sat in a coffee shop doing our own thing. But tonight feels different, my heart feels heavy and it feels like my body is numb, my back is facing her and I can tell that she's relaxed and must be sleeping. I sat on my mind that this is Yongsun unnie and it's probably because it's our first time sleeping together. I let my mind linger for a while. And the next thing I know is waking up to a breathtaking scenic view, by the look of it, it must be 7AM or less, because the sun has not risen completely yet and seeing Yongsun sitting by the window makes the sight even more better, the sunrays hitting her face as she sipped through her coffee, I assumed. 

"You're up" Yongsun greeted me enthusiatically, she is unbelievably energetic for someone who's up at this hour. I unashamedly asked if I could take a photo of the view with her in it and she gladly agreed. It took me five shots before I was contented of my captured photo. When I announced that im done, she turned to meet my gaze asking to see the photograph, there was no slow motion when she turned to me neither when she ran a hand through her hair, she approached me stood an inch closer and I don't wanna sound  like a hopeless romantic gay or over dramatic but I could smell her hair and as our skin touches, im not sure but it never felt that soft before. And this very moment I knew that she's part of that certain celestial body. It was under the sun when I captured an unexpected perfect candid shot, when I met her, when we met again and it's under this beautiful, breathtaking view that I realized I admire Yongsun more than a friend. And the sun might get jealous of the intimacy we are sharing but im not sorry. 

"Im a heliophile"