The Obyul Ball

SOLD

It was beyond Junhyung's wildest dreams to be invited to the annual Obyul Ball. He had heard about the ball from his fellow Items at the Jang mansion. Few Items get personally invited to these grand events. His mind remained blank until he stepped foot inside the ballroom. As if traveling inside a limo wasn't nerve-racking enough, the grand hall which they had just arrived at was must larger in comparison to the already large mansion he resides.

Person after person greeted Hyunseung with honor, as if he were royalty. Well, Hyunseung being part of the Obyul by blood, the young heir was few steps away from becoming a King at this point. Junhyung stayed a few feet behind Hyunseung. As an Item, you were never allowed to stand beside your Owner or any of the Elite.

Junhyung scanned the ballroom hall. From Obyul heirs to Obyul elites, everyone in the room were of the highest class.

"May I have everyone's attention please." A man wearing a striped, dark gray suit stood on the stage with a mic on hand. Junhyung could hear people whisper that he was Zo Insung, the youngest Obyul Business Adviser who was awarded for four straight years as the most trustworthy by the Obyul. "I'm glad to see familiar and new faces gather in this important occasion. As we all know, today is the death anniversary of a well-known and honest man." 

On the screen behind Zo Insung appeared the picture of a 40-something year old, a bright smile on his face.

"Oh Jin was a great man. He served not just the Obyul but the people of Korea. He had founded many projects. He started the Obyul Item Foundation which helped those in the Human Market understand their rights as Items. Oh Jin died a tragic death. May I ask everyone to give Oh Jin a moment of silence."

Everyone remained silent for a moment. Even Junhyung joined in. With his head down, he raised it a little to look at the picture of Oh Jin. He had heard only good things about him, even from Butler Hong Seungsung. He wanted to ask Hyunseung a question regarding Oh Jin but as the young Item looked around, his Owner had gone. 

"Where..."

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hyunseung was forcefully pushed down onto a velvet couch. Hyunseung had no time to look around. One minute he was standing among the crowd as they were about to give a moment for Oh Jin, the next minute Hyuna grabbed him by the wrist and took him to one of the private VIP rooms. He tried sitting up but Hyuna pushed him down again. She climbed on top of him, legs spread wide. One leg on either side of Hyunseung's waist. The slit of her dress caressed against the height of her thigh, exposing more than what Hyunseung could handle.

"How can you treat your betrothed this way, hm?"

"Hyuna, I told you, we're not betrothed. Now get off--umf--" Hyunseung was cut off by a luscious kiss. He could feel his cheeks get slightly scratched by Hyuna's long, black-painted nails. Rumors were true, she definitely was animal-like.

"Isn't it about time you played with me? Our betrothal isn't nothing, Hyunseung-oppa..."

He had no patience. He shoved her off and stood up fast. His suit jacket got wrinkled, he patted himself and fixed up his suit. After he had 

"We. Are. Not. Betrothed." He emphasized every word.

"You're a joker," she chuckled. This irritated and angered Hyunseung down to his very core.

The young heiress of Obyul Hotel & Bakery got a pillow as support as she lied on her side comfortably. "Of course we're betrothed, oppa. Our parents agreed that by the time we're twenty-one, we'd be married. Haven't you read the news online? We're a hot couple."

Junhyung searched high and low for Hyunseung and saw a door opened slightly. He could hear Hyunseung's distinct voice. He peeked through the tiny opening of the door to find Hyunseung standing before a gorgeous beauty.

"I'm gonna say this once and I won't say it again. We're not betrothed. We're not getting married! I'm just not interested."

Hyuna smirked, taking Hyunseung's words as a challenge instead of a fact. She walked towards the tall young man and kissed him again. "Are you not interested in me or..." Hyuna slid her finger down Hyunseungs suit collar, "...are you just interested in your little boy toy?"

"What are you talking about?"

"Don't kid with me, oppa. Everyone knows you're the proud owner of a hot piece of . What's his name? Ah. Yong Junhyung."

Junhyung's ears twitched when he heard his name come out of . He never realized news spread out about his arrival at the Jang mansion.

"Shut up," Hyunseung demanded.

"I see I touched a nerve. We all know about the Owner-Item policy. Even if you have a tiny bit of interest in your Item, you can't have him. Isn't that just thrilling?"

"Hyuna, I'm warning you..."

"I can imagine you being all hot and heavy with your play thing--"

"He is not a play thing. He's a human being."

"Oh, I know he is. But some human beings are just better than others. Don't you see you've got me?"

Junhyung knew what the girl meant. He knew she meant that Hyunseung was better off being friendly with other Owners in the Obyul instead of being friendly with low-life Item scum like he. It was inevitable.

"I'd trade a thousand of you for someone like Yong Junhyung any day, Hyuna."

"What?!" The heiress was offended. 

Hyunseung slapped Hyuna's hands off and walked out of the room, angered. He was surprised to see Junhyung in front of him.

"Junhyung-sshi..."

"Uh... I-I..."

"How long have you been standing here?"

"Uhm, I-I just arrived..."

"Oh, I see. Well, let's go. I don't want to be anywhere near that woman."

Hyunseung started walking and Junhyung followed right behind. The latter was slightly confused by what had just happened and yet his heart was racing again like it did before. He was just insulted by an heiress and his owner defended him. He faced down and smiled shyly. He was too embarrassed to have people see him smile without a reason. 

Junhyung then bumped into someone. 

"I'm sorr..." "I'm sorry..." the two men bowed. Junhyung had a gut feeling he didn't bump into someone from the Obyul. The guy was a bit shorter than he was, thin with a button face the size of his fist. He wasn't in a fancy suit like the others. 

"Are you..." Junhyung began.

"Yeah, I'm an Item."

"Oh!" Junhyung somehow felt this comaraderie. Meeting a fellow Item in a grand event, it was relaxing. "Sorry for bumping into you."

"It's no problem. I have to go now."

"Ah! Before you go, what's your name?"

"I'm Yang Yoseob. You are?"

"Yong Junhyung."

"Yong... eh? You're Yong Junhyung?"

"Uh, yes?"

In a split second, the guy's eyes grew twice its size and he took Junhyung's hands and shook them like he was a celebrity.

"Wow! It's an honor to meet one of Jang Hyunseung's Items. You're famous, did you know?"

"I... am?"

"Yeah! All the Items envy you for being owned by Jang Hyunseung. Everyone wants to be owned by him."

"Is that so?" Junhyung found it odd that he had become famous because of his owner but what was to dislike? His owner was kind, one among the kindest. Not just that, he was quite intelligent and witty. Behind the handsome face was a mind of a hard-worker. Junhyung admired his owner... even more than he should.

"Helloooooo, you there?" the young Item waved his hand in front of Junhyung's face.

"I-I'm sorry, you were saying?"

"I was saying that you better watch out."

"Watch out? For what?"

"With great power comes great responsibility. Jang Hyunseung is vulnerable and can be attacked by some crazed lunatic. You know what I mean, right?"

"I... don't quite follow..."

"Yong Junhyung!" Junhyung heard his name be called from across the hall. He spotted his owner signaling for him. 

"Sorry but I have to go."

"No problem. See you around!"

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

"Ugh, I hate these events," Hyunseung said under his breath after he took a sip of his champaigne. 

"What was that?"

"You need to clean out your ears, Junhyung-sshi. Haha."

Hearing the laughter come from his owner, Junhyung laughed as well. The Item remained standing as did the other Items while young heirs and heiresses were seated on couches and chairs which are all around the V.I.P area. 

"Hyunseung-hyung*, what do you think of Park Gyuri?" asked Son Dongwoon, heir to the Obyul Make-Up Incorporated and Hyunseung's friend.

"I dunno..."

"Ah, right... I shouldn't ask an engaged man about women--Ouch!" Hyunseung slapped Dongwoon's chest hard. 

Junhyung held in his laughter. Hyunseung spotted him, to which Junhyung remained poker-faced. It only made Hyunseung want to laugh.

"Listen, Dongwoon-ah, I'm not engaged. My parents thought of the engagement not me. You know me, right? Hyuna's definitely not my type."

"Then who is your type, Hyung? I'm curious."

Junhyung was just as curious. Before Hyunseung could even think of an answer, Zo Insung spoke again.

"I'm sorry to interrupt everyone's fun but I'd like to call the four Obyul heirs and ask them to please join me on stage."

"Oh! Hyung! That's you! Go go!"

Hyunseung was then hurried by his friend to go up the stage. Everyone locked their eyes on the four heirs that were making their way up the stage and into the spotlight. 

"Everyone," the host continued, "please give a round of applause to your future Obyul leaders. Jang Hyunseung. Park Gyuri. Kim Junhoon. Last but not least, Lee Kikwang."

The crowd went wild. The top names in the Obyul, next to their parents. Junhyung could hear screaming girls around him. Whispers varied from good to bad. But when Hyunseung's name was mentioned, Junhyung only heard of positive attributes. 

"Hyunseung will definitely be the Obyul head." "Jang Hyunseung's so hot!" "The Obyul's future lies in their hands"

"We'll now hear a word from Jang Hyunseung." The mic was then passed to him and freshly poured glass of champaigne. 

Junhyung saw no worry in his owner's eyes, as if the latter had no fear.

"Thank you, everyone, for coming to this momentous occasion. We are gathered here to celebrate the Obyul. We are what makes Seoul turn. We, as heirs, promise to uphold the promise of peace, unity and strength by growing with the people. I assure you, the Obyul will be in good hands. Cheers."

"CHEERS!"

"Thank you, Jang Hyunseung, for that endearing speech. May I now request--"

Hyunseung went back to the V.I.P area where he was met with cheering and pats on the back. Everyone complimented with how well he spoke. Although he acknowledged them all, he looked tired. He sat down on his original seat, placing the champaigne glass on the table beside him and leaned supported his head on the sofa's back.

"Great speech, Hyung!"

"Thanks..."

"You don't look too good."

"I don't... feel..." Hyunseung couldn't continue. His stomach began to turn. He tried stopping himself but he then vomited profusely. The strength of the vomit was too much, he fell instantly onto the floor. Hyunseung curled into a ball, pain surrounding his abdomen. Junhyung rushed to Hyunseung's side. "Young Master, are you okay? Someone call 119**!" 

People began to gather around the fainted heir. 

"Stay back! Give him air! Please!" But no one listened.

Junhyung was uneasy. What could have caused this? His owner was fine moments earlier. He then remembered. Junhyung turned around and sniffed the champaigne glass Hyunseung sipped from. He recognized the smell since he's used it many times before. 'Diswashing liquid?' Someone clearly disliked the attention given to Jang Hyunseung. Who would do such a thing?

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

 

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

*-Hyung = an honorific suffix added to the end of an older boy's name (used only by boys)

**119 is Korea's equivalent of 911.
 

I revealed a lot more in this chapter. Hyunseung's betrothed. Dongwoon's an owner. Yoseob's an Item. Ah, fun fun fun! :)) I have a lot more to write and a lot more planned. This is only the tip of the iceberg. There is more to come!

COMMENT! SUBSCRIBE! UPVOTE! 

If I get more than 10 comments within the day, I'll make a double update! Be sure to leave a comment <3 I love comments.