Jang Hyunseung & Yong Junhyung

SOLD

The noisy streets, the dark alleys and the busy people of Seoul. This was home. This was Yong Junhyung's home. The young 17-turning-18 year old was on his way home after working part-time at the coffee shop a few blocks from his house. Junhyung had just graduated high school but he and his family didn't have enough to send him to college. Not that it was useful -- all have-nots ended up in the Obyul factory or farming lands. It was always the same.

"Umma, I'm home," Junhyung greeted from the front door. "Are you home?"

"Yeah, I'm in the kitchen."

Junhyung took off his jacket and hung it on the coat rack. He walked towards the small kitchen, spotting his mom by the sink.

"What's for dinner?"

"Kimchi stew"

"Yummy. Is Junsung in the room?"

"Yes. He's studying for his Obyul exam."

"That's right! He's applying for Obyul Middle School. I'll go help him," as Junhyung was about to leave the kitchen, his mom called for him.

"Junhyung-ah, before you go..."

"Ne, Umma?"

"I have something to tell you during dinner."

"Something to tell me? Why not now?"

Junhyung's mother cleared and looked nervous, hesitant as well. She was holding herself from revealing what was in her mind. It wasn't going to do her any good. 

"Just promise me that when I tell you, you'll be understanding."

"...Okay..." Junhyung's eyebrows met in the middle, making a crease between his nose and forehead. His mother was acting strange. Also, what was the important something she couldn't tell him then and there? Something was off. He could sense it.

★ ★ ★ ★ 

I didn't ask to be born in the Obyul. It wasn't my decision. My whole life - past, present and future - lies in the hands of my father. He isn't my most favorite person, not that it would matter. The city isn't exactly in favor of him and the other Obyul owners either. Those old men expect me and their heirs to take over the Obyul after they're gone. I don't want to... but i have no other choice.

"Young Master, it's time for dinner"

I have to go now. Until next time.

Journal --- signing off...

"Young Master, are you--"

"Sohyun-ah, I heard you the first time. No need to call for me twice."

The young maid bowed and apologized, "I'm sorry, Young Master. I understand."

"You don't have to bow, Sohyun-ah. Didn't I tell you already?"

Out of habit, she bowed once more, "I'm sorry, I forgot."

Hyunseung chuckled as he patted the young girl's head, "Too bad you're my mother's item. It would be nice to have someone around my age to keep me company."

The young maid blushed and followed right behind Hyunseung. She watched the young master pass the long hall and turn the corner where the large dining area was. Hyunseung, in nothing but a pair of boxers and white t-shirt, appeared from the corner and inside the dining room. His mother was started and appalled.

"Jang Hyunseung, what are you wearing?" opened wide and covered by her bejeweled fingers. 

Hyunseung pouted and looked down at his own body, "What's wrong with what I'm wearing? This is what I wear to sleep, Umuni"

His mother lightly massaged her temples, "Oh dear... The Jang family of the Obyul must look sharp even as we sleep. Go back to your room and change."

"Change? Why? It's dinner time. Can't I eat first?"

Without another word, she sharply looked at her son as she pointed towards the hall behind him. Her authoritative stance and silent order was all it took for Hyunseung to turn around and go back to his room to change. He picked out his best dress shirt and pants to wear at the dining table. When he returned, his mother had gone. 

"Unbelievable..."

"What's the matter, Young Master?"

"Sohyun-ah, where did my mother go?"

"She went to the Obyul housing meeting."

"Thought so..." Hyunseung rolled his eyes and sighed, "Oh well. It's never surprising to me anymore." The 18-year old Jang heir sat on his side of the table and waited for the maids to serve him. One maid poured water in his goblet, another placed the napkin over his lap. Although Hyunseung let them do those things, he didn't like them doing everything. Unlike his sister, who practically did nothing and just let her items do all the work for her.

Hyunseung began eating his dinner. He felt lonely. His parents were out doing their Obyul business and his sister was probably in her room eating dinner alone.

Hyunseung pulled out the chair beside him and said, "Sohyun-ah, you've been standing around too long. Sit here."

She didn't budge. Hyunseung put down his metal chopsticks and turned around, "Sohyun-ah, if you don't sit with me, I'll be forced to trade you for one of my sister's maids."

Sohyun was alarmed and quickly sat on the chair Hyunseung had pulled out for her. She didn't want to be traded for someone else, if it meant having to work for Jang Geurim, an exact replica of her mother -- but meaner. As if her heart is the complete essence of a blackhole. 

"You're thinking my sister has a blackhole for a heart, don't you?"

"Eh? O-Of course not, Young Master, I would never--"

"I'm kidding, Sohyun-ah. Lighten up. Don't worry, it's just me."

"Oh...ahe... huh..." her tone was down.

"Is something the matter?"

"...I shouldn't say, Young Master. Items are not allowed to speak of their personal problems to their Owners"

"Here's an interesting fact, Sohyun-ah. I'm not your owner," he said smiling. Sohyun was reassured that it was safe to talk to him until--

"What are you doing?!" a third voice cried out. Sohyun stood up and bowed. It was Jang Geurim, Hyunseung's younger sister.

"Look at what the cat dragged in. It's my lovely sister."

"Don't joke around, Hyunseung-oppa. You let a maid sit on our dining chairs! She's an item, you idiot!"

"She's human."

"But she's an item. They don't have the same privileges as we do, Oppa."

"...I really don't get it, Geurim-ah. Why is it always like this?"

Geurim groaned and put her hands on her waist, "Don't start talking like this again, oppa. You know that I won't listen to you."

Hyunseung should've known his sister wouldn't care about the Owner-Item culture in Seoul. It didn't matter to anyone, anyways. Even if someone spoke out about the Owner-Item system, their voice wouldn't be heard and the Obyul would force them out of the city. It's a heavy risk no one wanted to take.

Geurim sat on her side of the dining table.

"Wow, the princess actually feels like eating with her brother," Hyunseung joked.

"Shut up, oppa."

"And we have the attitude coming."

Guerim shook her head and ignored her older brother. Although the two fight and disagree on many terms, their pressence was more than enough. At least for Hyunseung, he wasn't alone for that moment.

★ ★ ★ ★ 

"What are you saying, Umma? W-What do you mean... I'm sold?"

"I'm sorry, sweetie... we were having too much trouble. We need this for Junsung," Junhyung's mother was on the verge of tears as she watched her son pace back and forth in the kitchen.

"I've been sold... how much? How much was I sold for?"

His mother said nothing. She bit her lip.

Junhyung calmed down and asked, "Is it enough to send Junsung to college?"

"Yes. It is. It's enough to keep us alive until Junsung finds a job in the Obyul."

Junhyung exhaled. There was one last thing he wanted to know.

"Who's my owner?"

"...Jang Hyunseung."

★ ★ ★ ★ 

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

Umuni = Korean for "mother"
Umma = Korean for "mom"
Obyul = "5 Stars"; the name of the monopolistic corporation that controls the human market of Seoul

I hope you enjoyed this chapter. ^^ It has begun. Hyunseung isn't really a bad guy... but.. will he stay good for long? 

I wonder what you guys think will happen in the series~