The Meeting

SOLD

The time had come for Junhyung to move in with his owner. There was not even a celebration for the day he turned 18. There were only Obyul Item Collectors surrounding the house, two waiting at the foot of the doorstep. Clothed in black suits and dark shades, they listened to the instructions given to them via their ear-buds.

"Yong Junhyung, the Owner's family is waiting for you at their mansion. You have 3 minutes," one collector announced.

Junhyung could only give a nod before looking back at his mother and younger brother. He put his favorite hat on top of his brother's head.

"Keep this safe for me, okay?"

Junsung nodded in silence. He didn't want to look up at his older brother, in order to not show his teary face and present a stronger side of himself since he was going to be the man of the house after Junhyung had gone.

Junhyung kissed his mother on the cheek and gave her a hug. Whispering in her ear, "I don't hate you for doing this, Umma. This was for Junsung. Keep each other safe," was all that he told her before the Collectors linked him by the arms and forcefully brought him out of his home. For Junhyung's mother to see her son leave in such a manner, who wouldn't have their heart broken?

The mother and younger son watched their other family member, seated at the back of the black van, drive off into the horizon. They would never see each other for a long time. If they were lucky, they'd see each other. But most of the time, Items pass away without a second glimpse of their old family.

This was the cruel world of the Human Market and the Obyul. There was nothing anyone could do about it.

★ ★ ★ ★ 

"What? I didn't ask for this."

"Jang Hyunseung, you turned 18 three months ago and you didn't accept our Item gift for you," Hyunseung's mother stated.

"I never wanted an Item! I just wanted a normal party."

"A... party?" his mother scoffed, "You think a young man of your stature should be satisfied with just a party? You're an Obyul heir! It's a right of passage for you to have an Item once you're 18."

'That's only what everyone thinks...'

 

*DING DONG*

"Oh, the door. Sohyun-ah, open the front door!" Madam Jang ordered from her young maid.

After a short while, a man in a white tailored suit, his hair slicked-back and shoes shined spotless, entered the room and bowed. Hyunseung recognized him as the Collector leader. He supervised all collection of Items that were sold and personally delivered them to the owners. "The Item has arrived, Madam."

"Splendid!" Her face beamed with excitement. She took her son by the hand and led him to the common room where she head instructed the collectors to bring the Item. "Aren't you excited, Hyunseung? Your first Item!"

Hyunseung said nothing back. His face showed no emotion. He could care less about the Item given to him. With his arms crossed and head looking down, he stood firm. His mother was the only one clapping excitedly.

"Oh the Item is definitely more handsome in person than on his profile folder photo," Madam Jang commented. "Hyunseung, look at your Item! He's adorable."

Hyunseung let out a disgruntled sigh and looked up, surprised to see the guy in front of him.

"His name is Yong Junhyung. Oh, not that it matters. Call him whatever you like since he is now yours!" Hyunseung's mother said in a cheerful tone. She left the room to let the two get acquianted. The two Collectors in black suits stood behind Junhyung, as a precaution, to make sure he did not run away.

Hyunseung furrowed his brows. He had a feeling he had seen this face somewhere. He took a step forward, looked at every inch of his Item's face.

"You know... I'm a person... you can't look at me like I'm a display," Junhyung finally spoke.

Hyunseung snickered, "The Item speaks. Usually, the Items are too afraid to talk when they first arrive."

"I'm not like other Items. I actually have guts."

Hyunseung smiled, "I think we'll get along, Yong Junhyung."

"Whatever, Prince Charming."

"Oh? Only a few seconds and I'm already charming to you?"

Junhyung didn't know whether his owner was truly an irritating and spoiled brat or trying to find some humor which he really didn't have. 

"I'm Jang Hyunseung," he extended his hand for a handshake, "Nice to meet you."

Junhyung was perplexed. He had heard so many stories from Gina that owners were mean and show-offs. They never treated Items with the same respect. They wouldn't even touch their Item. And here was an owner with his hand out, waiting for a handshake. What was Junhyung to think? In any case, he shook the hand offered to him.

"Good. Introductions are done. I'll show you to your room." Hyunseung turned around and expected his Item to follow. Which did happen. Junhyung followed suit and observed his surroundings. The ceilings were up very high, making the space expand. The decorations and furniture screamed riches and power. Never had he seen such a place in real life. 

Hyunseung stopped in his tracks and pointed to the double doors that reached the ceiling. "This is my room."

"I thought you were showing me to my room?"

"That is correct." Hyunsung opened one of the doors to his bedroom and told Junhyung to follow. When they had reached one end of the room, there was another door. Not as big as the bedroom doors but the right size for a normal one. Hyunseung opened the door and said, "This is your room."

Junhyung went inside and it was astounding. Painted with a beige color and a single bed next to a mocha brown night stand and lamp. There was a desk at the other side and extra space. There was a window seeing a great view of the Jang's backyard, which wasn't a yard but the size of a golf course. It was the size of a normal room -- almost like Junhyung's old room. One extra thing about the room was that there was another door which led back to the hallway. Junhyung checked the opposite side of the door and noticed it was painted the same way as the halls. No wonder he didn't notice it when he was walking towards Hyunseung's room.

"I never asked for an Item," Hyunseung started. Junhyung turned around and saw Hyunseung with a serious face. "I dislike the idea of Owners and Items. It pissed me off ever since I saw my mother treat our maids horribly. I never wanted that to happen if my time to own came. Which is why I requested a room right beside mine."

"You wanted this?"

"Look, we can drop the Owner and Item act when we're alone. When Umma's around, you can put on the facade. But let's just get to know each other on a human level, shall we?" Again, Hyunseung extended his arm.

Junhyung looked into Hyunseung's eyes to see if he was being played. He saw nothing but sincerity. Something he hadn't seen in a Have before. He shook Hyunseung's hand again.

Finally, the meeting ended on equal terms. For the first time in decades, an actual human relationship had begun. But how would the rest of the Human Market react if they had found out?

Only time will tell.

★ ★ ★ ★ 

Author's notes:

It's been a long time! Sorry for the delay;; I guess the spark to write an update came back. I forgot how cool the plot I planned for "SOLD" was... and I really wanna continue it until the very end. The end will shock everyone! I wish for it to be successful
~

Hyunseung really isn't that bad. He's the only humane owner in the Obyul, in fact. There was one other but he died 15 years ago. Don't remember Oh Jin? He was mentioned in Chapter 3. Although he's dead in the fic, he has great significance in future chapters. So you'll be hearing 'Oh Jin' a lot more in the future.

Everyone, please comment! I enjoy reading them! <3