The Obyul 5

SOLD

Junhyung spent his first few weeks as an Item learning how to be a butler from the head of the Jang's house help, Hong Seungsung. A 40-something hard-working butler. He had been working for the Jang family since he was first bought by Hyunseung's grandfather in the 1980's. It could be said that in the human market, Hong Seungsung's worth grew twenty-fold because of his high IQ and sponge-like learning skills. His value increased as years passed, constantly evaluated by other Obyul families.

The Jang's were envied by the other Obyul families for having obtained such an item. Owners with high-valued items were seen as citizens of high stature. Whether you were from a large family or a small one, owning an item like Hong Seungsung was like owning a precious diamond.

And Hong Seungsung wanted to train Junhyung to be as such.

"You must never question your owner. Even if you know they are wrong, you cannot argue against them. Expressing yourself means putting yourself in the same place as your owner. This is unacceptable. The division of society between Haves and Have-nots can never change," Hong Seungsung explained.

Junhyung, as irked as he was, continued to nod his head as one instruction came to him after another. Becoming a good butler was not as easy as it seemed.

At the end of Junhyung's first few weeks as an Item, the Jang family gathered at the dining table for a special dinner. 

"What are we celebrating, Abeoji?" asked Geurim.

Jang Seungho, Geurim and Hyunseung's father, raised his goblet full of the best wine, and declared, "We are officially 5% richer, my dear family! The Obyul just calculated last quarter's growth and we increased by 5%."

"Congratulations, Abeoji!" "That's wonderful, honey"

Hyunseung remained quiet. He smiled to show support for his father but it didn't feel right to the 18-year old.

"Is something the matter, son?"

"Hm? Ah, I-It's nothing. I'm happy as well!"

'Ugh...This whole talk is awkward...' Junhyung thought. The Jang family may have been sitting at the same table but their hearts were far apart. Junhyung noticed how even at the dinner table, stacks of documents were rushed to be signed by Jang Seungho. His Wife Nam Jisoon was busy looking over which wallpaper would look better for the Obyul Housewives Office. Jang Geurim was busy chatting on Katalk* with her other Obyul friends. Hyunseung seemed to the only one focused on eating. 'What kind of family is this...'

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

"What kind of family is this?!" yelled out Hyunseung, the moment Junhyung had closed the room door. "The first time in 7 weeks we got to sit down as a complete family and they were all busy as f-ck doing their Obyul ."

"Young Master, you've got to calm down."

"Junhyung-sshi, you can cut the crap and speak normally."

"Oh, right." Junhyung loosened up and cleared his throat, "If you're really that concerned, Hyunseung-sshi, then why don't you just talk to your parents?"

"You think it's that easy? You've seen my family. All they care about is the Obyul and money!" Hyunseung grunted. The young man fell back on his bed and heaved out a heavy sigh, "Being a part of the Obyul 5 is difficult... and being only 4 heirs is much harder..."

Junhyung heard the last statement and thought it was quite odd.

"Hyunseung-sshi, you said the Obyul 5 but... why did you say only 4 heirs?"

"Huh? Oh. The Obyul originally consisted of 5 major owners. The Kim Family from ancestor Bi, the Park family from ancestor Seu, the Lee family from ancestor Teu, the Oh family from ancestor Sa and the Jang family from ancestor Rang**."

"Okay, I get that. But only 4 heirs?"

"Oh Jin, who was part of the Obyul 14 years ago, died. His family had disappeared without a trace. Oh Jin had no next-of-kin. He was the only son, the same as his father and grandfather. No extended family."

"So... that means the Obyul only have 4 owners? What happened to the share of Oh Jin?"

"The rule is that if there is no extended family, all shares by that Obyul owner will be split between the other Obyul owners."

"What?! That's just... that... doesn't make sense!"

"But from what I know, it only applies if the shares had not been touched for 15 years. Before then, the shares are controlled by an Obyul Official Finance Representative."

Junhyung thought how complicated the Obyul system was. The Obyul with 5 owners, 1 died and the family disappears? That's suspicious.

"Junhyung-sshi."

"Yes?"

Hyunseung sat up from his lying position and took a good look at Junhyung's face, which the latter got conscious about and shied away.

"I swear... you look really familiar."

"Huh? W-What do you mean?"

Hyunseung stood up and walked towards Junhyung. The former was only a foot away, bent forward to take a better look at the latter's face, which was turning pink. "I have a feeling we've met before. I can't quite put my finger on it."

"Young Master, your mother tasked me to send you..." Sohyun the maid, slightly opened the door and spotted a leaning Hyunseung, whose face was extremely close to Junhyung's. Sohyun gasped. The two young men heard and turned to look at the door only to find a flushed Sohyun.

"Sohyun-ah, what are you doing there? What's that all over the floor?"

Sohyun came back to her senses, "I-I'm so s-sorry!" She picked up the papers on the floor. "These are from your mother. She wants you to look over her speech." Hyunseung walked over to grab the papers from Sohyun.

"Thanks."

Sohyun then left the room. 

Hyunseung went over to his desk to read his mother's speech. As he was about to read the next paragraph, he suddenly remembered. He turned around and Junhyung was frozen.

"Junhyung-sshi? Are you okay?"

"...What? A-Ah, yeah! I'm..uhh..if you need me, I-I'll be in my room!" Junhyung rushed off to his room.

"Hmm...weird."

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

'Why...why is...' Junhyung placed his hand over his chest 'Why is my heart beating so fast...?'

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Author's Notes

Abeoji = "Father" in a respectful manner

*Katalk is short for Kakao Talk, a popular Free app messanger.

**In Korea, the last names "Kim", "Park" and "Lee" are shared by almost half of the Korean population. The difference between certain last names are by their ancestral/clan line. I used the same concept for the Obyul families. Certain families come from 1 lineage. For example, being "Kim Giri" does not mean you're from the Obyul Kim family. Kim Giri may come from ancestor Lo and not ancestor Bi. Which means Kim Giri is part of the Obyul. TAKE NOTE: I ONLY BORROWED THE ANCESTRAL LINE CONCEPT. THESE FAMILY LINEAGES ARE NOT REAL.

PS: If you take each word after 'ancestor' was mentioned in the story, it says Bi-Seu-Teu-Sa-Rang. Which is Beast Sarang. Beast LOVE <3 (B2uty~!)

THANK YOU FOR WAITING! I know the last update as a very long time ago.