Murder?

SOLD

"How long have you been an Item?" Junhyung asked Item Kwon Sohyun. 

"About 6 months now. I was purchased by Madam Jang."

"How about you, Gayoon-sshi?" 

"Two years. I was purchased by Master Jang."

Junhyung's conversation with the other Items was going fairly well. He learned a lot about the others. For example, Sohyun was creative as a child and still is. Gayoon was aspiring to work for the Obyul Theatre as a professional singer; however, the Human Market took her instead. After 2 months as an Item, Junhyung was getting used to life away from the slums. But, he did miss his family. Every day he wondered if his mother was healthy and his brother had been accepted to Obyul Middle School. 

"What's your concern, son?" asked Hong Seungsung.

"Huh? Oh! It's nothing!"

"Young man, you can't hide your thoughts from an experienced Item. You're missing your family, are you not?"

Junhyung was amazed with the fast deduction.

"Uhm, y-yes."

"Do not worry yourself. Items may be sold here and there but we still have a few remaining rights to human freedom. You can send letters to your family."

"I can?!" Junhyung face brightened.

"For as long as your owner grants it."

"Oh..." and the smile went away.

"No need to worry, son. You're in good hands."

"What do you mean?"

Butler Hong Seungsung took a sip from his coffee cup and set the china down. "I'm sure you've noticed by now. Young Master Hyunseung is kind. A better fitting heir than the other three in the Obyul. He thinks of others and money doesn't blind him."

"Oh come on. You're joking--"

"We're not joking!" Sohyun interrupted. "Young Master is the kindest man I've ever met. He treats Items like us as friends..." a small smile crept upon Sohyun's face. By the look on Sohyun's pink face, Junhyung knew none of these statements were lies. 

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The clock struck thirty minutes after 11. The evening air found its way inside Jang Hyunseung's room while the young 18-year old continued to read document after document regarding the Obyul Heir meeting.

Junhyung felt the heaviness in his eyes, he yawned. He wanted to fall in his own bed and sleep but unless his Owner told him to sleep, he was not allowed to leave his side. The former's eyes nearly shut tight but as his body leaned, he woke up and stood up straight again. He cleared his throat and focused on keeping himself awake.

"You could go to bed, you know."

"Uhm, what was that?"

Hyunseung turned his waist to face behind, using his left arm as support for his upper body. "You don't need to wait for me to tell you to sleep. I'm fine here."

"Uhh... it's Item--"

"Item protocol, I know. Just go to bed." The young heir smiled before going back to his reading. 

For some peculiar reason, even if Junhyung was tired, he wasn't anymore. He slowly placed his right hand over his chest. 'Again...?' His heart was beating rapidly. He had no allergic reaction to the Item food so far. He hasn't had a fever, maybe it was a sign of one coming?

"You're still there, I can tell. Go to bed, Junhyung-sshi."

Junhyung could hear a faint chuckle as he walked towards his bedroom door which connected to Hyunseung's bedroom. The former did nothing but smile as the door closed behind him.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

"How could you let this happen?! I swear, marrying you was the worst decision I ever made!" yelled out Nam Jisoon, Hyunseung and Geurim's mother.

"How dare you say that" Jang Seungho retaliated, "It's a minor setback! We'll get back on track."

"I swear, if we didn't have Hyunseung, we wouldn't be married now."

"Right back at you, sweetheart," Jang Seungho said with sarcastic undertone.

Hyunseung woke up early that day because he had questions he wanted to ask to his mother. He decided to go to his parents bedroom but to his dismay, he had walked himself into a heated argument between his parents. He leaned against the door to listen in. He could hear mumbling but his mother's loud voice was clear as day.

"I thought the Oh family were taken care of!"

"I thought so, too. But Sanghoon-sshi told me it was only Oh Jin that was killed. His family's whereabouts have not been clear since then."

Although it wasn't a hundred percent clear to Hyunseung, he knew exactly what he heard. Oh Jin. Killed. All he knew was that Oh Jin died, not that he was murdered. Did that mean his parents were murderers? No. It can't be.

"Did Mr. Kim find out anything?"

"Sanghoon-sshi's private detective mentioned something about Oh Jin's family being alive. But because they haven't shown themselves all these years, Oh Jin's entire share is still in control by the Finance Representative."

Hyunseung couldn't see but he heard his mom sit on her bed. 

"What will happen now?"

"I don't know. I'll talk to Sanghoon-sshi about this and we'll find Oh Jin's family. For now, we have to make sure Hyunseung knows nothing about this."

Hyunseung couldn't believe what he had just heard. He walked away from his parents' bedroom and went back to his own room. He covered his mouth in disbelief. "It can't be..."

Were his parents responsible for Oh Jin's murder?

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The following evening.

Hyunseung was standing in front of his tall mirror, buttoning up his white-collared shirt. Junhyung brought over his Owner's leopard print suit jacket. The latter stretched back his arms and slipped each hand inside the jacket hole. After putting the last touch on his outfit, a gold ring signifying his Obyul status, Hyunseung was ready.

Junhyung had his head down. Hyunseung saw this through the mirror.

"Are you okay, Junhyung-sshi?"

"Huh? Oh, sorry. It's nothing."

Hyunseung turned around to face Junhyung. "I can tell you feel sad. You miss your family, don't you?"

"Well..."

"Say no more. I'll have someone take your letter to your family."

"Wh-What?"

"You have some written, don't you?"

Junhyung instantly put his right hand inside his pocket. He took out the letter which he had carefully written a few nights back. It was around 5 pages long. He could have written more but he didn't know what else to put except for 'I love you' and 'I'm fine'. Hyunseung showed Junhyung his open palm. 

"What are you waiting for? Give it."

Junhyung hesitated a bit but gave the letter to his Owner.

"I'll get this delivered. In the mean time, get dressed. I had a dress shirt made for you."

"What are you talking about?"

"You're coming with me."

"With you? To... where?"

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Author's Notes:

I've gotten a lot more time to write now. I feel good about it. The blue text or links provided should give you an idea of what things look like. I want to do this more often. It helps you imagine the scene.

I know the end of this chapter seems odd but don't worry! It continues on in the next chapter ^^ I'm currently writing the next chapter already!! 

Please do comment and UP vote my story!