Spring Showers

Relay of the Heart

Jinsoul was improving, quicker than Sooyoung could adjust to. “Wow you really can’t catch me today huh?” She’s breathing heavily, staring at the girl who was mocking her by wiggling around freely. Practice more or less has become fun for them. Instead of vigorous ab exercises and hour long jogs, they resorted to playing tag and doing girl group choreos to get fit.  

Needless to say Sooyoung was exhausted. But slowly, she was beginning to smile more and more. “I already ran seven miles today, give me a break.” Jinsoul at her lips, yes she was quicker and actually knew how to run now. Good enough to where she could slip out of Sooyoung’s grasp whenever she got too close. 

Sooyoung raises back up from where she was resting her hands on her knees. Tag was always the best, because Sooyoung would get to touch Jinsoul in some way. Either by grabbing her hand or wrapping her arms around the girl’s waist for a half hug.  

More and more she got infatuated with Jinsoul. She thought about her 24/7 but now she was able to actually reach out to the girl when she was on her mind. Like sending a quick text or finding her after class. Or calling her late at night just to hear her sleepy voice. 

The school was starting to talk.  

Sooyoung ignored it, she was good at that. She didn’t really care what people said, she really liked Jinsoul. So she would continue to be friends with her. Jinsoul however was having a more difficult time, since they’ve became the topic of discussion she’s had a bombardment of people asking her.  

Why the hell is Ha Sooyoung hanging out with you? 

Jinsoul could ask herself the same thing. Jinsoul knew that Sooyoung was different but still, she had a lot of people who adored her. People that were better than her. Prettier, cooler, funnier. All that jazz, sometimes she felt like she wasn’t significant compared to the other people in Sooyoung’s life, she felt like Sooyoung was too good for her. 

She was just some geek who was good at math. Sooyoung didn’t need to be wasting her time around someone like her right?  

But damn, did Sooyoung make her feel like the most amazing person in the world. 

Sooyoung glares at the girl and starts to make her way towards her. Jinsoul takes a step back every time Sooyoung takes a step forward. Jinsoul hasn’t won tag yet, Sooyoung wouldn’t allow it. It was like a panther stalking its prey, Sooyoung got more eager to pounce with every step. She can’t help but chew at her lip when Jinsoul trips a little bit. 

Jinsoul’s screams fill the field when Sooyoung sprints towards her. She isn’t quick enough to turn around to start running, Sooyoung catches her. Jinsoul closes her eyes and squeals as Sooyoung grabs her into a hug. They both fall into giggles when Sooyoung squeezes tightly and lifts Jinsoul into the air to spin her around.  

Near the field stands a girl. She’s on the verge of tears. It’s Rose and she’s watching whole exchange. The two are all over each other. Sooyoung’s hands are all over that girl. She’s never seen her smile that much. She’s even laughing. 

After three more rounds of tag, Jinsoul finally calls it quits much to Sooyoung’s disappointment. But she’s had fun today and Jinsoul has given more than enough attention. Although Sooyoung couldn’t help but crave more. 

Jinsoul was just that special she guesses. Something about that girl made Sooyoung feel amazing. More amazing than after she won a race.  

They were putting their things away and with every item Sooyoung got more and more sad. It was finally over but she couldn’t wait until tomorrow to do it all over again. To see Jinsoul’s smile, to hear her laugh at all her jokes, to learn new things about her. Hopefully, she could even hold her hand or something. 

Sooyoung felt her heart fly away at the thought.  

God, Jinsoul made her insides flip and twist like the coin laundry. 

Today she learned that Jinsoul gets the hiccups if she laughs to long. That she would take too big of bites that made her cheeks puff up. And finally, she had a small mole on the right side of her jaw. Sooyoung is putting on her slides as she thinks about it. 

She wonders what it’s like kissing Jinsoul. 

Jinsoul is working up the courage to give Sooyoung her track shoes. The meet was soon so she’d like to give them to her to break them in. Turning the girl Jinsoul finds her zoning out, midway putting a shoe on. Jinsoul waves a hand in front of her face but she doesn’t budge. 

Sooyoung is having a mini , why did she come up with that image inside her head. She’s never thought about it until now. Her brain was having a complete shutdown. Jinsoul’s lips are soft, she remembers from when the girl kissed her cheek, their so soft and pretty and Sooyoung is about to pass out from just thinking of how they would feel on hers. 

How did Jinsoul like to be kissed?  

“HELLO EARTH TO HA SOOYOUNG!” She flinches at the loud voice right next to her ear. Covering it she glares at Jinsoul before becoming transfixed on the girl’s lips. What is wrong with me? Why can’t I breathe? Sooyoung’s heart drops to her stomach and suddenly the nerves that had went on vacation came back full force, almost angry that their resting time was cut short due to Sooyoung’s panic over the fact she wanted to kiss Jinsoul so bad right now. 

“Yeah?” 

Sooyoung grimaces at her own voice. It’s hoarse and her tone cracked near the end. Jinsoul knots her brows, weirded out by Sooyoung’s mood change. “I got you something.” Sooyoung is looking at something on her face. So Jinsoul wipes around hopefully getting it off. That seems to knock her out of her fixation and Sooyoung finally looks up and into her eyes. 

“Really?” Sooyoung tries to bury down these tiny explosions in her chest and focus on Jinsoul’s words. The girl nods and covers her eyes up with her hand. 

“Close your eyes please it’s a surprise.” Sooyoung closes her eyes obediently. She hears Jinsoul shuffle around and tries to calm herself with the warm sun hitting her face. Sooyoung is soon met with an image of Jinsoul behind the darkness. Her eyes are so pretty, everything about her was really pretty.  

Sooyoung begins to daydream about the girl and leans back onto the bleachers, soaking in the sun that oddly gives her the same warmth as Jinsoul’s smile. 

Jinsoul pokes on her tummy. Sooyoung doesn’t open her eyes just yet, wanting to tease the girl. Jinsoul’s pokes become harder and she starts to groan out, “open the up!” Sooyoung smiles a bit and blows air out her nose. “Fine I guess I’ll just go home.” 

“NO!”  

In a panic Sooyoung opens her eyes and raises up. hangs low at Jinsoul standing in front of her with a shoebox held out. “Jinsoul what is this?” The girl pushes up her glasses and shakes her head. Shaking the box she urges Sooyoung to take it. 

Sooyoung hesitantly hovers her hands around the box, “come on...take it Sooyoung...take it.” Sooyoung cringes at Jinsoul’s creepy voice and becomes smaller at the intense glare she’s receiving. Grabbing the box out of the girl’s hand she puts it in her lap. Jinsoul squats and watching intently as Sooyoung opens it up. 

It’s the pair of red track shoes Sooyoung tried on.  

“Surprise! They weren’t mine! I got them for you.” Jinsoul hops up and jumps to her feet. She closes her eyes and holds her arms out for the hug she knows that’s coming. Jinsoul doesn’t get one though and she pouts up when she opens her eyes to see Sooyoung still staring at the shoes. “Oh my god, do you not like them?” Jinsoul starts to panic, what if Sooyoung was just saying they were nice. What if they were the wrong shoe? 

“I just thought I would get them because yours are so worn and a new pair wou-”

“No they’re perfect.” 

Jinsoul looks between the shoes and Sooyoung. Yes, she was absolutely addicted to Sooyoung’s smile and happiness. But to see the girl look so sad was really giving her a spin around the over analyzing merry go round. What did she do wrong?  

The merry go round goes ballistic when Sooyoung starts to cry. Jinsoul really did want a hug from this, because she thought she fit perfectly in Sooyoung’s embrace, but she didn’t want the hug to be like this. The shoes get squished between them and the hug is awkward because Jinsoul is standing while Sooyoung is still sitting. 

“What’s wrong?”  

Sooyoung buries her face into the crook of Jinsoul’s neck, locking her arms around the girl’s shoulders. “This is the nicest thing someone has done for me.” Sure, she’s had girlfriends to buy her things but they haven’t had a significant meaning to them. They were just gifts. But Jinsoul was thoughtful enough to get her a new pair of track shoes because hers were breaking out of the bottom. 

She’s hid it from her moms. They didn’t need to worry about it. Rose had saw them and only told Sooyoung they were gross and that she needed to get a new pair. Sooyoung remembers how bad it felt when the girl had told her thank god you don’t wear those at school, everyone would think you were poor or something. 

Jinsoul actually cared about her. Not just the image, not her popularity, not her the way she looked. Sooyoung thinks she actually cared. The girl was taking her time to teach her math, to come out her and practice, to just hang out with her. To even go as far to take her to the mall to get her a meal and a new pair of shoes. All for nothing in return. 

Sooyoung might have been overly dramatic about all this. But really this was the most anyone has ever done for her. 

God was she really even popular? When she’s felt this empty until now?  

Constantly Sooyoung was told she was special, so why did she never feel that way? That was until Jinsoul, who actually made her feel special without ever telling her. Sooyoung is overwhelmed at the moment. Never has anyone saw her cry. No one has ever seen this much emotion from her. 

“Aww you’re such a big baby.” 

Shut up.” 

“O-Okay..” 

Sooyoung continues to cry into Jinsoul’s neck. The girl should be grossed out but she kinda liked it. She didn’t know Sooyoung was so sensitive, which was her type... Jinsoul pulls away when the sniffles reside. Sooyoung’s face is all puffy and her eyes are red. Jinsoul just wants to kiss all of it away, but she knows her place. “Thank you so much Jinsoul.” Sooyoung gives her this utterly adorable look and she can’t resist.

Jinsoul’s always been one to not know how to stay within her boundaries.  

Leaning forward she kisses Sooyoung on the forehead and then the cheek. The girl closed her eyes at the sensation. Jinsoul’s lips felt so, so nice. “Can I have another?” Jinsoul knees go weak and she trips around a bit. Thank god Sooyoung’s eyes were closed. Leaning forward she gives a long one, a little bit closer to the edge of Sooyoung’s mouth. 

Jinsoul was playing an incredibly dangerous game. Sooyoung shivers at the chills she gets from the last kiss and scrunches her eyes closed at the heat burning at the spot. Jinsoul was more than just her new found friend wasn't she? This girl wasn’t ordinary, not with the way she made Sooyoung feel. 

Pointing at the shoes Jinsoul suggests, “you wanna try them out?” Sooyoung nods her head and begins to put them on, a little clumsily since her limbs were complete jelly. Once they’re on Sooyoung stands up to bounce around. They felt perfect on her feet. Jinsoul smiles at her and reaches for her hands. 

Sooyoung looks into the girls eyes, she’d never get sick of doing this. “I’m sorry I made you cry, but I’m glad you liked them.” Jinsoul sighs out and looks down, “honestly you deserve so much more Sooyoung, no one has ever been this nice to me. I’m really glad to have you as a friend.” It makes Jinsoul feel weird saying it, since she didn’t see Sooyoung as a friend at all. She had the fattest crush on this girl ever. 

But being her friend made her just as happy. 

“Jinsoul I....” The girl looks back up, “I haven’t done anything for you and you’ve already done so much.”   

“You really are such a special person.” 

Sooyoung swallows hard because she’s not really the one to talk about her thoughts, but she trusted Jinsoul. The girl was so easy to be around, Sooyoung could be herself without any worry in the world.  

Jinsoul shakes her head, “of course you have Sooyoung.” 

“You believed in me.”  

Jinsoul backs away and lets Sooyoung’s hands slip out of her own. Sooyoung never went with the flow like she said she did, no Sooyoung did what she wanted to do. That included never having assumptions of Jinsoul, just like never assuming the girl was actually that bad at running. “Now let’s see if you can catch me in those.” Jinsoul sprints off, leaving Sooyoung in the dust. Smiling she chases after her. 

Never has she wanted to run more in her life. 

~~~~ 

“Four pieces of toast for my biggest baby.” Dasom sits down the plate, the toast is covered with peanut butter and bananas and Sooyoung immediately starts to dig in. Dasom rubs her daughter's head before sitting down cereal for Hyejoo and waffles and bacon for Yeojin. By the time Yeojin is halfway done with one waffle, Sooyoung is on her last piece of toast and Hyejoo is done with 3 bowls of cereal. 

“Do you es even breathe?” Yeojin receives a slap to the back of the head by their older mom.  

Nana shakes her head as she takes a drink of her black coffee, “Sweetie your kids are starting to have these nasty mouths on them.”  

Dasom glares at her wife, she wasn’t the one that cussed every minute of her life. “I recall that it’s our kids and I think we’ve went over your use of the word-” 

“!” Nana had accidently spilled some of the coffee on herself. 

Sooyoung doesn’t even bother listening to her family's antics, she was too busy texting Jinsoul. The girl probably wasn’t awake now but Sooyoung still stuck to their little experiment and well she was really nervous today. This was a big meet. 

[To:Her <3]:4 pieces toast wit banana and pnut butter. 

[To:Her <3]:R U comin 2day?  

[To:Her <3]:I’m really nervous Jinsoul  

[Her <3]: Of course I’m coming silly! Don’t be, I have a surprise for you :]

“Who are you texting?” Sooyoung clicks off her phone and shoves it into her lap as quickly as she can. Glancing up she feels the heat rush to her cheeks when her entire family is staring at her. “Baby, who were you texting?” Dasom asks again eyeing her daughter curiously, Sooyoung didn’t smile much, only when she was at home, so why did she have the biggest -eating grin on her face while staring at her phone.  

It made her happy of course, but she wanted to know who was making her daughter smile like that. She’d like to give them a hug.  

“Just some funny video mom.” 

Sooyoung is still typing away on her phone as they walk to the car. Dasom is staring at the three who only hover around the door, “let’s go my children.” Sooyoung is glued to her phone smiling at the screen, Hyejoo is picking at her ear and Yeojin is pouting up. 

“Aight everyone INTO the car.” Nana screams from behind and they scramble to get in. Yeojin gets stuck in the middle of her two exceptionally tall sisters and sighs about the ride to come. 

Sooyoung has finally put her phone down and shares a look with her sister, “yo who wanna play air hockey?” Yeojin groans and cradles her head into her hands while Hyejoo snickers.  

Dasom is telling her wife a work story when she hears screaming from the back. Turning in her seat she sees her youngest daughter being volleyed back and forth by her other two. The two push her side to side in the seat with their shoulders, giggling as they do so. When she reaches down for her sandel they all scream. 

Piling out of the vehicle Sooyoung says her goodbyes and makes way for her team. Yeojin and Hyejoo talk about video games, following their moms. Dasom has her elbow linked with her wives and looks up at her, “who do you think our baby is talking to?” 

Nana narrows her eyes and hums, “maybe that Rose girl? Sooyoung’s talked about her a few times.” Dasom nods and tries to wrap her head around it.   

They sit at the bleachers and snuggle up close, it was still cold since it was early in the morning. Their youngest daughters come to squeeze beside them still chatting about something called Pokemon.  

Dasom will be on the lookout today. She wants to know this lucky person who was making her daughter smile.  

~~~~ 

Sooyoung is talking to some of her teammates when she looks around for the fourth time. It’s been a while now and her first race was soon. Jinsoul still wasn’t here.  

In the distance Jinsoul and her friends are shuffling towards the field. “Thanks Jiwoo for driving us.” The redhead smiles and gives her a thumbs up with the hand that didn’t have a death grip on Heejin’s. 

Jinsoul has her posters rolled up underneath her arm, she worked on them all night long and tried to make them as pretty as Sooyoung was. Making her way on the field she can’t mistake that figure and yells out, “HA SOOYOUNG!” Jinsoul is breathing a little heavy from the rush but all the air is out of her lungs when Sooyoung turns, her pony tail whipping with her.  

Sooyoung breaks out into a smile when she sees Jinsoul, the girl is in jean shorts, a black long sleeve and over her black wavy hair a red ball cap, the same color as Sooyoung’s uniform. Sooyoung can’t stop staring at her, how could someone be this gorgeous? She was losing her mind. Starting to walk off to Jinsoul her elbow is grabbed, turning around it’s Lisa who has her jaw clenched. 

Sooyoung jerks her elbow out her grip when Lisa starts to talk, “seriously, you’re still hanging around that loser?”  

“She’s not a loser.” 

“Awe now you’re even taking up for her! How sweet.” Sooyoung narrows her eyes at the girl who is barely smirking.  

Squaring shoulders with Lisa she hums out, “why’s it matter to you Lisa?” 

“I just think it’s funny how you got all these cool friends and an amazing girlfriend but you choose people like them,” Lisa points to the three doing a weird hula dance to the beat of the song on the speakers. “It’s almost like you’re a loser too Sooyoung.”  

Sooyoung smiles at the three waving at her now, begging for her to come over. “Who ever said y’all was cool? I don’t think I’ve ever said that.” Sooyoung glares at Lisa who has her arms crossed. “If I’m a loser I must be the coolest one and I’m fine with that, besides you just a hater anyways.” 

Deciding to be petty Sooyoung leans forward to whisper out, “because Rose picked me over you when I ain’t even want her like that.” With a straight face she backs away from Lisa and jogs over to Jinsoul and the two girls she doesn't really know. 

Sooyoung could give less of a of what Lisa said to her, Jinsoul was the greatest person alive she thinks. The three stop acting up when they notice Sooyoung coming. Jinsoul stands up straight while the other two hide behind her.  

“Hi,” Sooyoung blurts out, god why was Jinsoul so cute. The girl had this natural pout and Sooyoung just wanted to squish her entire face between her hands. She felt like she was in thin air right now from how light headed she was just by being this close to her. 

Jinsoul swallows audibly and nods, “Hi.” The two behind watch as they stare at each other. It was like one of those moments straight out the mangas Heejin read. Jinsoul finally finds some level of conscience because hello, Sooyoung looked too good in that ponytail without any makeup and pokes at her tummy, “Hiii.” 

Sooyoung giggles a bit and pushes the girl’s hand away. Jiwoo and Heejin are simply amazed at how the two just fall into their own little world. Heejin follows along with their conversation, Jiwoo notices how many times they subtly touch each other.  

Heejin and Jiwoo are invited into Jinsoul’s and Sooyoung’s small private bubble when their friend turns around and nudges Sooyoung, “hey show them your little dance.” Sooyoung looks at Jinsoul who is softly smiling at her with sparkling eyes.

Sooyoung does this robot dance and Jinsoul claps and bounces along. Jiwoo almost swoons when Sooyoung suddenly goes shy and smiles so big her eyes and nose crinkle up. The athlete hides her hands underneath her chin and twists around adorably.  

Jinsoul squeals like a school girl and instantly clings onto Sooyoung and the two giggle while playing around together. Jiwoo and Heejin are simply jealous, they were perfect for each other.  

“Dude are you seeing this?” Heejin whispers to Jiwoo. Jinsoul is wrapped up in Sooyoung’s arms as they tease each other about something. Jinsoul keeps pushing the girl away lightly but Sooyoung keeps her there, her smile growing wider by the minute. “That is smiling  like deadass.”

Jiwoo clears , yes it was really nice that Jinsoul was falling in love or whatever but they haven’t even been introduced yet. Jinsoul hears it finally after the fourth time of Jiwoo doing it. “Oh that’s right um guys this is Sooyoung.” 

“We know you talk about her all the time.” Heejin teases, really it was them bothering Jinsoul about Sooyoung and the girl getting flustered just thinking about her. It was really cute seeing Jinsoul get all winded and blushy while talking about Sooyoung.  

Sooyoung finally lets Jinsoul break free from her embrace but the girl doesn’t really leave, “you talk about me all the time.” Jinsoul turns red at the girl’s stare. 

Sooyoung is having the time of her life, Jinsoul talks about her. 

“That is beside the point,” she jerks her head at Heejin who is shaking at her aggressive tone. “These are my friends Heejin and Jiwoo.” Sooyoung shakes their hands and Jiwoo stares at her own I will never wash you again. Thankfully it’s not just Sooyoung and Jinsoul’s world anymore since Heejin and Jiwoo are included into the conversation. 

Still Jinsoul leans into Sooyoung, and it makes Sooyoung’s head spin.  

Heejin and Jiwoo start to argue about something so Jinsoul takes the opportunity to take in Sooyoung’s hands, “are you ready for my surprise?” Jinsoul swings their hands between them, Sooyoung’s smile is so adorable as she does so. 

Sooyoung tugs her closer and nods excitedly. Jinsoul made her the happiest girl in the world. She couldn’t fight the feeling off anymore, the only way she could even cope was by smiling. 

Jinsoul reaches down to grab one of the forgotten posters and unrolls them. 

Sooyoung reads them to herself as she chews on her nails. They were all cutely made signs of encouragement, her heart really sticks to the one where is says she’s her number one fan. Jinsoul was her number one fan. 

Maybe Sooyoung was Jinsoul’s number one fan.

Reading the last one she quirks a brow, “oh?” Jinsoul is smiling beneath her cap before noticing the mixed reaction.  

Flipping it around she gasps, “JEON HEEJIN!” The sign read, you look hot when you sweat. Sooyoung laughs as Jinsoul beats her friend with the poster.  

Grabbing Jinsoul by the shoulder she saves Heejin from the assault. The two leave them, saying something about the concession stand while Jinsoul gave them an odd look as they ran off giggling. 

“Hi,” Jinsoul takes her gaze off of her friends and back to Sooyoung. Who was giving her this cheeky smile.  

Side eyeing the girl she swipes at the hand that was tickling at her back, “hi Sooyoung.” 

“I’m really nervous.” Jinsoul frowns because the girl was still smiling. Raising her hand up to Sooyoung’s chest she places it against her heart. Wow, it was going crazy in there. Sooyoung looked very calm on the outside, but on the inside she was lowkey panicking.  

This was an important race. 

Jinsoul rubs at her chest and looks up at her with affectionate eyes, “I don’t know much about running but I know that you’re amazing.” Somehow her heart beats even quicker. “I’ll be supporting you in the stands, you’ll be great, I can feel it. You really are the best Sooyoung.”   

“I believe in you.”

In that moment Sooyoung realizes that she’s made her first friend.   

She also finds her first love.   

Jinsoul smiles at her and it’s that same feeling she got when she won her first race. When she fell in love with the sport.  

The moment is ruined when her coach starts yelling at her to get her back to the team and be a captain. She lets go of the hand she’s holding and backs away, “Jung Jinsoul.”  

Thank you

“Cheer for me.”  

~~~~ 

Dasom had been in the stands watching her daughter like a hawk. She wonders who that girl in the red cap was. Whoever she was, her daughter had it really bad for her. 

She had never seen Sooyoung so bubbly around someone. Dasom had giggled along as she watched the two girls play around. Spinning each other around and hugging whenever they got too close. It was adorable. 

Sooyoung was a goofy kid, but as she matured it became a rare thing to see. Dasom would often try to film it at home, when Sooyoung was making her and Nana laugh so hard that they were crying.    

But this girl…had made Sooyoung break out of her shell. Dasom wanted to give her a million dollars. “Nana I think our baby girl is in love.” Her wife hums, she was busy watching the younger two talk to their friends near the bottom. Some girl with a bucket hat on and the other with choppy bangs.  

“Really?” Dasom points to the two, the mystery girl has her hand on Sooyoung’s chest. The look their sharing isn’t anything but love. Nana smiles, it reminded her of Dasom. 

Sooyoung runs back to the field, the biggest smile on her face, the girl stands there and watches her daughter longingly. 

Her wife was right.

~~~~ 

Sooyoung takes a deep breath and looks towards the stands. She sees her two moms waving at her excitedly, she waves back with just a much enthusiasm with a wide smile. Near the bottom sits a bunch of rowdy girls. Screaming her name and shaking the signs Jinsoul had made in the air. 

The loudest is her own sister.  

“I’ve never seen Sooyoung this loose before a race.” Dasom comments blowing kisses to her daughter. Nana is giving her a thumbs up.  

She turns to her wife once Sooyoung goes to crouch at the starting blocks. “I know she’s usually stone cold. It’s a bit refreshing to see her not so robotic.” Dasom agrees and leans into her wife. 

They all hold their breaths before the gunshot.  

The same time Sooyoung bursts off, everyone in the bleachers stands.  

Sooyoung looks phenomenal, it’s crazy how she leaves every other girl in the dust midway through the sprint. Her form is near flawless and she keeps her pace all the way to the end. Winning the race with little to no effort. 

At the finish line Sooyoung lets out a sigh of relief, wow she’s never had this much adrenaline. Before she started she stared at the track, her nerves were absolutely shot but she had more than just the race in mind. She really wanted to impress Jinsoul. 

When she heard the gunshot she closed her eyes and used every ounce of energy to run. While she was running, she felt like she was floating, never had a win been that satisfying.  

Looking at her hands they’re shaking visibly. She was still so nervous despite winning the race. First she looks at her parents, Dasom has covered and Nana is shaking her head in disbelief. 

She hears her name being screamed. Glancing towards the source her hands shake harder. Jinsoul is jumping up and down with the sign being ripped in the process, “SOOYOUNG! HA SOOYOUNG YOU’RE AMAZING!!!” Tears sprang to her eyes and she looks at the rest of her crowd.

They’re all cheering. 

Smiling on her walk back to her coach, he holds up a timer. His smile is beaming. Reading the time hangs open. 

It’s her best yet.  

~~~~

The whole meet had been successful, they had only lost a few races. Sooyoung is putting her warm up clothes back on and slowly unties the shoes that Jinsoul had got her.  

In the distance, Lisa is being chewed out by the coach. She had lost the 200m sprint. Sooyoung doesn’t pay any mind.  

Looking up she smiles at her two moms, “hey mom, hey momma.” They had been standing there quietly forever which was starting to freak Sooyoung out. This was the third time she’s greeted them. They would just look at each other with a weird face and then back at Sooyoung. 

“What?” 

Dasom sighs, “nothing sweetie we’re just proud of you.” Sooyoung groans when her mom pinches at her cheek and squeezes. Standing up she waves at some of her teammates and Coach who takes a moment to smile at her before going back to yell at Lisa.  

“I’m hungry,” Dasom pats on her back, her daughter was getting taller than her.  

Nana shares a look with her wife before raising a brow at Sooyoung, “you wanna invite your girlfriend?” The women watch their daughter go beet red in the face, even her ears go red. Sooyoung quickly glances around and groans at her mom again. 

“Mom...stop it, she’s not my girlfriend.” 

“Oh?” 

“Shh Nana she’s getting embarrassed.” Sooyoung rolls her eyes and ignore the two that continue to . Jinsoul was not her girlfriend, however, she really wanted- 

“Hiii, oh my god, byeee.” Jinsoul was walking up to her before three pairs of black eyes turned to her. Two of which were way scarier than Sooyoung’s. One pair that was strikingly similar to Sooyoung’s own. Jinsoul felt really stupid for walking up to Sooyoung without looking at who was with her. 

Jinsoul walks faster when a deep voice calls out to her, “no hey you can come back!” Dasom nudges her daughter and Sooyoung’s brain finally knocks into gears. Jogging after Jinsoul she grabs her hand. The girl freezes in her step and looks at their conjoined hands. Sooyoung can see the fear in her eyes and doesn’t blame her. 

Her parents were kinda scary, “you should come eat with us. I’ll pay, for you know, you didn’t have to come, or get me shoes, or have to-” 

“Okay I’ll come.” Jinsoul cuts her off, she wanted to spend more time with Sooyoung but was deathly afraid of being murdered by her moms. Sooyoung doesn’t let go of her hand, she only smiles and drags her back to her parents.  

Jinsoul was incredibly nervous, so was Sooyoung, but deep down Sooyoung was dying for her moms to meet Jinsoul just to see how much of a great person she was. Sooyoung wanted to show Jinsoul off to everyone.  

Sooyoung turns to her parents, Jinsoul hides behind her still holding on tightly to her hand. Sooyoung holds Jinsoul’s hand with both of hers, rubbing a circle into the soft skin. “This is Jung Jinsoul, she’s the girl teaching me math.” Sooyoung would like to say more. Like on the lines, Hey this is the girl that makes me feel special, or hi meet the most amazing girl ever. 

But this is a good enough introduction. 

“Hi Jinsoul, we’re really grateful for you.” Dasom speaks softly to the quiet girl hidden behind Sooyoung. She feels her heart twang when the girl waves at her. Nana thanks her a little more bluntly making Sooyoung blow out of her nose. 

“Thanks for helping our little .”  

“Jin-ah.” 

“I’m kidding! Seriously, thank you.”  

Dasom shakes her head at her wife and glances back at the girl, “would you like to come eat with us? We’d be happy to have you.”  

Jinsoul whispers out to Sooyoung, Dasom was gorgeous, “god you look just like her.” Sooyoung snorts and leans back into the girl. She got that a lot. Jinsoul tilts her head a bit and makes her voice louder, “I’d love to!” 

Dasom smiles while winking at her daughter who then shyly looks toward the ground. A small blush on her cheeks. 

“Who wants pizza!”  

~~~~ 

Later that night Sooyoung is chugging water sitting on her bed. Taking a break in hydrating she looks at her phone, she instantly unlocks it when she sees a notification from Jinsoul. 

[Her <3]: Tell your moms thanks again! I already miss you guys :[  

Sooyoung smiles and types away. 

[To:Her<3]: for sure, and we miss you too.  

Sooyoung stares at the message for a moment then shakes her head. Sending another one.

[To:Her<3]: Goodnight Jinsoul <3 

Shutting her phone off she holds it to her chest. Why were there so many damn tingles inside. She felt like any second now butterflies where gonna burst out of her chest. Sooyoung’s never dealt with something like this and there was only one plausible explanation. 

Rushing to her sisters room she slams in, Hyejoo is in mid-game so Sooyoung shuts it off earning the worst cussing in her life and also the controller thrown at her. 

Once Hyejoo is calm, after one hell of a slap fight Sooyoung holds her down. She needed to talk to someone about this or she was going to explode with all this built up tension. 

“I have a crush on Jinsoul.” 

“Duh isn’t it obvious?” Sooyoung blinks and raises up as Hyejoo takes the chance to scramble away. It wasn’t obvious to her, she had no idea why Jinsoul made her feel this way, but after looking up these things every night on google there was no other answer. 

She had the biggest crush on Jung Jinsoul. 

Her first crush ever. Sure, Sooyoung liked girls. They were pretty and soft and paid attention to her. But never really have they made her get these chills or make her feel like she was being squeezed to death in every angle. Like her heart would break if she didn’t talk to Jinsoul everyday or see her smile.

Girls were easy to her. Relaxing, not hard to solve. Jinsoul was the opposite, she was like a test to Sooyoung’s sanity. Sooyoung would literally shake since her nerves would get so bad around the girl. Sure Jinsoul didn’t do anything to stress her out, but no one should be that cute. She simply couldn’t handle it. 

Sooyoung didn’t want to mess this up. 

For the first time ever, Sooyoung was worried about what someone thought of her. She wanted Jinsoul to like her so badly. Sooyoung never cared about getting rejected, but if Jinsoul were to she thinks she might croak over and die in a hole. 

It was nice to be around Jinsoul. Although it wasn’t easy, it was the best feeling Sooyoung’s ever had. She would rather have all these raging emotions than to just be...comfortable. 

And really, there were things about Jinsoul that were comforting. Like her hugs, and her voice. That simple look Jinsoul would give her when the girl could tell that something was wrong. 

“You two are literally all over each other and you always go heart eyes when talking about her. It’s kinda sick to watch.” 

Hyejoo thought it was really cute, but she’d die before telling Sooyoung that.  

“What am I supposed to do?” She had no idea how to go about this, it was like all her experiences with girls has gone down the drain and she felt like some idiot.  

Hyejoo rolls her eyes and is about to speak, “you’re literally a player Sooyoung, aren't you like an expert at getting girls?” Hyejoo doesn’t open and they turn to look at the 13 year old at the door. Yeojin has her arms crossed glaring at Sooyoung. 

“It should be a piece of cake, just do what you normally do and Jinsoul is yours in no time.”  

Sooyoung groans, “Jinsoul’s not just some other girl though.”  

“Of course she’s not! But seriously, I’m sure if you started flirting that would absolutely make her drop her .” 

“I'M NOT TRYING TO DO THAT!” Sooyoung covers her red face in her hands. She didn't think about that kinda stuff...she was shy. 

“You know she’s right,” Sooyoung closely listens to her other sisters voice. Since she had some questionable images in her head right now. “Just be yourself and say what you feel I think Jinsoul likes you too anyways.” 

Slowly lifting her head up she quietly asks them, “you all think she likes me?” 

“Yes.” 

“It’s kinda sad how much she does.” Sooyoung throws her house shoe at Yeojin who runs out of the room then.

After she hugs both of them for talking to her she snuggles into her bed. 

She doesn’t go to sleep until 3am despite running so much today.

Someone was still running on her mind.  

~~~~ 

Slamming her hands onto the porcelain sink she huffs out, “BE CHILL!” Sooyoung was everything but chill at the moment. Raising up she practices again, first she her lips and raises one brow looking up and down.  

Rubbing her hands together she talks to herself, “hey lil mama...!” Covering her face she jumps up and down in the middle of the bathroom. She looked like a weirdo and a complete idiot.

Spinning back around she looks at herself in the mirror. Her hair was curled she had her ice on and her makeup was perfect. Applying a little bit more lip gloss since she had practiced biting and her lips so much, she pops them.

Putting her hands back together she narrows her eyes and pretends she’s chewing some gum, “watcha doing after school? You tryna ride?” Sooyoung tries to make her best y face but it only looks strained. 

“You don’t even drive!” Sooyoung starts to pull her hair out. Why was this so damn hard now? She used to do this effortlessly.  

Finally, she stops practicing and just peps talks herself, “listen you the baddest in the school you cannot choke like this.” Staring at herself in the mirror makes her feel like a fool. “Do not fumble your bag!” She points at the mirror like the girl in the reflection was entirely somebody else.

Stepping back she tries one more time, “baby girl you looking so damn fine today.” She smirks and winks. Wait she kinda liked that one. 

Hearing someone gasp she quickly turns around, it’s Kim Hyunjin. The point guard on the girl’s basketball team, “you good?” Sooyoung takes a deep breath, this girl was giving her the worst look ever. 

“Yeah I’m good are you good?” 

“I’m perfectly fine.” Hyunjin replies a little too quickly. 

Sooyoung starts to get bugged by the girls stare, “so what’s up? You need something?” 

“Do it look like I need something?” 

“Well with the way you staring ma-.” Another girl walks in and smiles at them, blushing when they move out of the way for her. The both of them continue to look at each other with evil glares until she leaves after doing her business. 

Hyunjin is the first to speak, “man I knew yo had an ego but I didn’t know the self love was this prevalent.” Sooyoung tilts her head, who the hell was this girl? 

“Listen I was practicing I ain’t really like that.” Sooyoung explains to her frantically but the girl does not believe her. “I have a crush on Jung Jinsoul.” Hyunjin’s eyes almost pop out of her head. The girl covers with her fist and claps Sooyoung on the shoulder. 

“Aight I can wit that, listen this is what you gotta do.” Hyunjin starts to explain explicitly in every detail on how Sooyoung is going to woo Jinsoul. Hyunjin was a player too, but she knew the game way better. 

Sooyoung nods along, listening to every word. It was so relieving to tell someone else that she had a crush on Jinsoul. 

Now all she had to do was secure the bag.

~~~~ 

Kim Hyunjin had provided some really useless information. She had told Sooyoung to ignore Jinsoul, how the hell was she supposed to do that. It was nearly impossible since Jinsoul was constantly on her mind. 

Walking through the hallways she fixes herself up a little bit, maybe she should try that out for a couple of days. Hyunjin was the number one player in the school. But she really didn’t want to play Jinsoul, just get her attention. 

Nearing the girl’s locker her hands tighten around the straps of her book bag. Glancing over her step stutters when she sees Jinsoul messing around in the locker. 

Sooyoung quickly changes route and is now creepily staring at the back of Jinsoul’s head, the girl was humming out some tunes. 

Opening only a squeak comes out. Moving her hand around doesn’t help the worlds come out either. Just say hi please god just say hi.  

Jinsoul doesn’t know she’s there, she could technically just leave and not say anything. Still she stands their quietly. When Jinsoul turns around she drops all of her books and slams back into her locker, “goddammit Sooyoung!” 

She cringes at the girls voice, Jinsoul is breathing heavily and clutching at her chest as Sooyoung leans over to pick her books back up. Jinsoul jerks her texts back out of Sooyoung’s hands and waits for the girl to say something. 

But she doesn’t, Sooyoung only awkwardly stands there staring at her. Looking Sooyoung up and down shakes her head. This girl was really something else.

“Um..okay.” Jinsoul walks off and Sooyoung follows her, this time it’s not so much of a chase since Jinsoul knows she’s going to lose. But still why was Sooyoung being so weird? Whenever they did talk at school is was more of just acknowledging each other's existence. 

A wave, a quick greeting, sometimes Sooyoung would open the doors for her.  

Never really had Sooyoung walked around with her or held a long conversation. Which in reality scared Jinsoul, why was Sooyoung only nice to her when they were alone. 

So this was a bit strange, and different. Like that first time they had met before classes. It left a weird feeling in her chest. Like every time she’d catch Sooyoung staring at her during lunch and the girl looking away.

Trying to dart into her class she’s blocked by the door. Not this again. Jinsoul steps to the side, so does Sooyoung. She ducks under and Sooyoung blocks with both her hands. Jinsoul gives up and backs away, “yes Sooyoung?” 

“Can I walk you to class?” Jinsoul blinks at Sooyoung and then at the door. Then back to Sooyoung. 

“You already did.” 

Sooyoung looks behind her and fair enough it is Jinsoul’s calculus class. Embarrassed and defeated she hangs her head low, “oh, well have a nice day Jinsoul.” Watching Sooyoung walk off she steps into class before stopping. She couldn’t let Sooyoung walk off so sadly.

Closing her eyes she curses herself.  

“Sooyoung!” The girl turns around and gasps when Jinsoul runs back up to her. Jinsoul grabs at the bottom of her shirt and tugs. The look in her eye is shy, almost daring. It takes her breath away.  

Her knees go weak when Jinsoul stands on her tippy toes to kiss her cheek. When the girl bounces back down Sooyoung can hear the bells. “Thank you, for walking me to class.” Sooyoung only giggles at the sweet voice, leaning forward to ghost her hand around Jinsoul’s waist.

Jinsoul slaps her arm, “stop oh my god! You’re so weird bye.” Sooyoung is holding her cheek as Jinsoul shuffled back into class. Her toes curled up when the girl looked back one more time before entering the room. 

Turning around she almost skips down the hallway. 

~~~~

Holding her books close to her chest Jinsoul lowly grumbles to herself. Sooyoung was starting to become such a distraction, Jinsoul couldn’t even focus in class, her brain thought it was a good idea to think about how cute Sooyoung’s mole underneath her eye was for the entirety of her chemistry lab. 

Right now she was headed to the library for their tutor session. She was going to have a word with the girl about...well Jinsoul didn’t really know. All she knew was this getting to be too much. 

On her poor...poor heart.  

Sooyoung is leaned onto a couple of lockers. Unlike Jinsoul, she didn’t mind daydreaming in class. Although that’s been happening quite often now. She was staring down the hall waiting for the girl to appear, the one that’s been on her mind all day.  

Jinsoul turns the corner, stomping down the hall with determination. Sooyoung doesn’t even get the chance to say anything when Jinsoul points in her face, “you...you.” 

“Me?” Sooyoung raises a brow. 

“Yes you, I don’t understand you at all.” Jinsoul was thrown for a loop really. Before she met Sooyoung she saw the athlete as someone unapproachable, she seemed cold and the kind person that didn’t really take the time out of the day to give a about anything. 

It was simple, Sooyoung was a bit of a baddie that would only show up in Jinsoul’s thoughts ever so often. Like when she caught her kissing YooA under the stairs. Of course Jinsoul had thought about it, if she was in that situation with Sooyoung. 

But it was relieving that she’d never have a chance with someone that unattainable. Because Sooyoung was like the rest of them right? Sooyoung probably thought of her as some loser. She wasn’t cool or pretty or popular. 

She was just Jung Jinsoul. 

For the first time in her life, Jinsoul’s hypothesis is wrong. Because Ha Sooyoung was nothing like what she seemed. Sure she was still indifferent and somewhat reserved. But she was deep down just a sweetheart who had been categorized with the actual bad people of the school. 

Just because she was popular. 

Sooyoung didn’t smile, didn’t really talk much but still was thoughtful which was easy to handle for Jinsoul. Okay? So Ha Sooyoung is actually nice so what? That’s cool she guesses. Only it wasn’t exactly cool. 

Because Sooyoung was really...really sweet. And day after day. Jinsoul kept learning about this side to Sooyoung that was way more easy to fall for. 

Ha Sooyoung who tried to shake her hand in the bathroom: admirable from afar. The girl you would think about from time to time because of her genuine demeanor. 

Ha Sooyoung who was smiling cheekily at her right now: just might be her first love.  

“We need a vibe check!” Jinsoul blurts out. 

Sooyoung only cowers when the finger is pointed into her chest, “no more standing the creepily and scaring the out of me! Kay?” Nodding her head Jinsoul continues, “if you want to talk to me please say something..” 

“Do I bother you?” Sooyoung asks her.  

Jinsoul raises her brow, “huh?” 

Scratching at the back of head Sooyoung admits some of her worries, “I don’t know, whenever I try talking to you at school you seem weirded out or something.” Jinsoul hums, was that the reason?

After school they would easily get along. It was a lot different around everyone else, were everyone was watching them like hawks ever since word had gotten out that they were together a lot. 

“No, it’s just...yeah you’re kinda weird you know.” Sooyoung frowns, today might be the worst day ever. “But I like talking to you, you’re only weird when you don’t smile being all quiet n’ .” Okay maybe she was being overdramatic. 

“Sorry, you’re just really pretty and it makes me nervous. My mind kinda goes blank.” Jinsoul stares at her. Suddenly she doesn’t really know what to do when Jinsoul rests her head on her chest. 

The girl says something unintelligible and leans back up. Her face is red and her eyes are a bit shaky. Sooyoung tries to make it better by smiling.

Pointing towards the doors Jinsoul nods towards them. “Will you go get us a room? I have to go pee first.” Sooyoung stands there before Jinsoul snaps her fingers. Ducking inside she curses herself. Did she say something wrong? 

Jinsoul was a bit bossy, which Sooyoung found attractive. The girl she had tried to shake hands with was the total opposite of the girl telling her she needed a vibe check. Jinsoul used to be shy and a little strange, only not. The girl was only boisterous, Sooyoung could admit that it was undeniably charming. 

Meanwhile, the girl in the bathroom is screaming just like her heart in her chest.  

Why’d Sooyoung say like that?  

Sooyoung was already working on her worksheets when Jinsoul returns. With a strange look on her face. Sooyoung greets her and goes back to work, it’s mostly silent, like most of their sessions. 

Near the end however Jinsoul scoots awfully close to her and nudges her foot. Sooyoung blushes and pushes back, before too long, their legs are interlocked underneath the table. 

When Jinsoul starts rubbing hers against her Sooyoung clears and glances towards her. Jinsoul is resting her head in her hand, softly smiling at her, “you think I’m pretty?” 

“I think your the most beautiful girl I’ve ever met.” Jinsoul shakes a bit, she set herself up with that on. Her mind flashbacks to the day they went to the mall.   

Sooyoung isn’t entirely surprised when the collar of her shirt is grabbed onto. Suddenly she’s being pushed back and forth slowly as Jinsoul lowly speaks to her, “why. are. you. so.” 

Pushing herself forward she’s almost nose to nose with Jinsoul, “I’m so what Jinsoul?” Sooyoung takes in the color of Jinsoul’s eyes. They might be her favorite color now. 

Annoying. 

Jinsoul thought Sooyoung was so annoying.  

“Let’s do problems on the board.” Jinsoul shoves the girl back before patting her on the head.   

~~~~

Throwing the marker down Sooyoung whines, “this is too hard Jinsoul!” 

“No it’s not you’re just being a baby about it.” Tutoring had never been so stressful. Jinsoul picks up the marker and places it back into her hand. Holding her hand with the marker she guides Sooyoung back to the equation. 

When Sooyoung doesn’t get it she jerks her hand back and Jinsoul huffs out, “stop I’m trying to show you!” The girl starts to blabber on again but Sooyoung’s head hurt. She was doing just fine in algebra now.

Snorting to herself she raises the marker and swipes it on Jinsoul’s nose. The girl pauses in her lecture and goes cross eyed looking at her nose.  

The next thing Sooyoung knows is she’s being chased around the room by a more than angry Jinsoul. Except really she isn’t pissed, it’s just an excuse to play around with Sooyoung. Something that would make her smile without even thinking about it.

In the end their kicked out of the library. At the lockers they sit and continue to laugh. Somewhere, somehow, Jinsoul starts to hold her hand.  

Sooyoung squeezes it in her own as tightly as she can. 

~~~~ 

Jinsoul is chewing on her chicken leg while Jiwoo and Heejin kiss all over each other. “Y’all gay or something?”  

Heejin gasps right after she bit Jiwoo’s cheek, “oh my god?”  

Jiwoo makes an X with her arms, “we are not homos! Don’t get it twisted!” Jinsoul gnaws on the bone. 

“So when you said that you want Jo Haseul to shake and bake you like pancake batter you meant it plantocially.” Jinsoul asks pointing her chicken bone at the redhead. 

Jiwoo scratches at her chin in deep thought, “no I totally meant it in the way where I want my eggs cracked. I’ve never had an innocent thought about that girl.” Jinsoul rolls her eyes as Heejin groans in disgust plugging up her ears when Jiwoo cackles like the ert she is. 

Jinsoul laughs with her friends as they playfully argue with each other. Glancing around the cafeteria she almost chokes when she finds Sooyoung staring at her. The girl was at her normal table full of jocks. Rose sit prettily beside her. 

She wishes she could knock the Australian accent right out that es mouth. 

Ignoring Sooyoung’s longing gaze she goes back to her lunch. It was left over fried chicken from last night.  

“Sooo have you,” Heejin gives her an unexplainable hand signal that had Jinsoul pausing mid-chew. “With Sooyoung?” 

“The does that mean?” 

Jiwoo covers one side of , “have you told her that you have more than friendly feelings for her?” 

Jinsoul chokes on a chicken wings, “I do-...ACK! I don’t have feelings for Sooyoung!”

“Boo you just admit she’s hot and you totally want to have her mixed babies that are mixed.” 

“M-mixed babies?!” 

Jiwoo raises her brows weirdly while Heejin points at them like they have the answer to all her questions. Sighing she shakes her head, “fine she’s cute or whatever! But she has Rose and she’s totally out of my league.” It sounds so sad but it was the truth.  

“Even if I did like her, it would never happen.”  

Why did Jinsoul feel like crying.  

Jiwoo and Heejin share a look with each other before turning to a suddenly depressed Jinsoul who was flipping around her chicken. Their friend was love sick and it was giving her the bad case of the hopeless blues. 

“Oh she’s coming over here everyone act normal.” Jinsoul’s eyes widen at Heejin’s words and straightens up. Sooyoung was coming over hear and looking behind her, the table she was sitting at is giving Jinsoul the death glare especially Rose. 

Sooyoung plops down beside her, “Hi Jinsoul.”  

She can’t even look at Sooyoung and only focuses on the small paint specks on the table. Heejin and Jiwoo watch with a slack jaw when Sooyoung gently cups Jinsoul’s chin and tilts the girls face to the side. 

“Oh you have something right…” Sooyoung takes her thumb to wipe off some of the chicken off Jinsoul’s cheek. They all shudder a bit when Sooyoung takes her thumb into and the juice off.

“Mm! That’s good!” Jinsoul giggles a bit, yeah she was about to pass out. Did Sooyoung just bite her lip? Was that even allowed?  

Pointing towards her last piece she mumbles out, “you can have that one.”

Sooyoung smiles brightly, “for real?” Jinsoul nods and the athlete immediately picks up the leg and munches on it. While chewing she waves at Jiwoo and Heejin who are daydreaming about being that chicken leg. 

Jinsoul is doing the same thing, while trying to stay conscious from what had happened earlier. She is jolted awake however when Sooyoung’s fingertips start to slide up and down her spine.  

Cracking her neck she smiles at the girl who was smiling just as cutely back to her. Are you trying to kill me?  

Sooyoung finishes the leg off in record time and her lips clean. Jinsoul can’t take her eyes off them.  

“It’s supposed to rain this evening, I don’t know if we’ll be able to practice but the spring event is soon.” Sooyoung explains with a pout. Jinsoul didn’t even give a about that race now. 

Minho, Seulgi, and Jeonghwa could cripple her if she lost. She felt like she already had won life by being this close to someone like Sooyoung. “I have to go now though. Meet you there?” Jinsoul nods as Sooyoung fixes her glasses and tucks some of her hair behind her ear for her. 

When the athlete leaves the cafeteria Jinsoul raises her hands and tries to make sense of what just happened. Jiwoo and Heejin do the same thing. There’s no verbally communicating. Just a raised eyebrow at the strange behavior of Sooyoung.

Until Heejin says what’s all on their mind. Well not all just she and Jiwoo’s mind

“Yeah your the dumbest I know.” Heejin rubs her forehead. It was so obvious Sooyoung liked Jinsoul back. Her eyes would literally twinkle around the girl and her cheeks would constantly have a blush. 

Jinsoul still doesn’t get it. Even with the ghost of Sooyoung’s fingertips still on her back.  

~~~~ 

It’s been raining all week.  

Sooyoung was thankful there was an indoor track but usually people were there and disrupted her time with Jinsoul. She’s never cared about popularity, but now she wishes no one knew her. Because every single person wanted to chit chat with her. 

Jinsoul would always stand quietly at a distance as some random teacher that was jogging or a student would come up to spark a convo. Sooyoung was starting to get frustrated to say the least. 

The first day it’s not already raining after school she drags Jinsoul back out to the outdoor track. 

While jogging Sooyoung pinches her whenever she falls behind the slightest bit. She can’t help but giggle when Jinsoul gets angry with her and slaps her hand away the next time it happens. 

During their break Sooyoung is slowly drinking her water while Jinsoul feels dry at the loose droplets that run down Sooyoung’s chin. When Sooyoung is done she looks at Jinsoul who is gazing darkly at her. 

Tilting one of her brows up she brings the bottle back up to her lips, “I’m dying...I can feel my insides shrivingly.” She snorts and water comes out of her nose. Jinsoul takes a swipe for the bottle but Sooyoung holds it away.  

Jinsoul whines and it’s probably the cutest thing Sooyoung’s ever heard. But she doesn’t let it affect her. “You’re so dramatic.” Jinsoul narrows her eyes and follows her around. Sooyoung walks backwards, keeping the bottle held high and out of Jinsoul’s reach. 

Adjusting her glasses she tries her best to stand her ground with Sooyoung. But the athlete has been different this week, more touchy, flirty, and an absolute pain in the . Or really a pain in the heart.   

Her ponytail sways as she continues to keep her distance from Jinsoul. When the girl pounces Sooyoung stretches up to keep the bottle out of Jinsoul’s grubby hands. The girl even jumps to get it, but Sooyoung was too tall, and her wingspan was a bit bigger than average.  

“It’s literally right there just get it.” Sooyoung softly tells her which runs all over Jinsoul. 

“Shut up…” Jinsoul grits through her teeth and continues to hop up and down for the bottle.  

Smirking to herself because she’s came up with the perfect plan, she places her hand flatly onto Jinsoul’s lower back and jerks her towards her own body.  

Jinsoul squeaks as her own body is pushed against Sooyoung’s and her glasses slide down a bit. Looking up slowly she gets stuck on Sooyoung’s lips, of course...her fingers tangle into the fabric on Sooyoung’s shirt on her chest. Suddenly she was way more thirsty than before, 

Sooyoung holds her close and brings down the bottle finally, this is where she liked Jinsoul. Against her, so she could feel the warmth the girls skin seemed to radiate constantly. Pressing further into the dip of Jinsoul’s back she smiles when the girls stare becomes faltered. 

“If you wanted some all you had to do was ask nicely.” 

Jinsoul blinks , still focused on Sooyoung’s lips. Which wow, about every girl in the school was right. Her lips were really kissable, “yeah well I really want some Sooyoung.” She’s not talking about the water, but no one has to know that. 

Sooyoung feels a bit strange, this was just like a hug right? So why was her body kinda hot and her tummy was in twists but not in the nervous way. Swallowing the lump down she tries to distract.   

Jinsoul was staring at her lips...was there something on them? Why were her eyes darker than before? Sooyoung was getting light headed.

“Say please?” Jinsoul finally takes her gaze off of Sooyoung’s lips and up to her eyes. Oh did she notice? Sooyoung was dying on the inside a little she tried to make her voice y but it came out cracked and a little high pitched.   

Jinsoul pouts and brings her hand up to play with the chain on her neck. Sooyoung has officially lost the game she was playing when she doesn’t need to hold Jinsoul against her anymore. Since the girl leans into her even closer.  

Sooyoung doesn’t understand how someone could make a look this cute. Jinsoul’s eyebrows up turn and her eyes become even rounder. Her pink lips form a frown that Sooyoung just wants to take away. 

With gold between her fingers, Jinsoul tests her own abilities that really, she’s never had the chance to use. “Pleeeasse Sooyoung?” Her voice is sweet, but deadly. Light, but deep.  

It sends icy chills down Sooyoung’s spin but somehow makes the fire in her tummy even hotter.  

The final part to their game, the staredown. Sooyoung loses pretty quickly, because Jinsoul’s eyes are too pretty. The pressure on her heart becomes too hard to bear.  

Jinsoul grabs the bottle out of her hands. Still keeping Sooyoung close she holds the bottle up and squeezes some water in. Winking at Sooyoung she tries to take another drink, but instead, the water is forcibly squirted into .  

With a cute laugh in the background Jinsoul gurgles and spits out most of it. It gets all over her. “SOOYOUNG!” The girl who was the one who committed the crime freezes and darts off.  

Today was a little different. Jinsoul was the one that would chase after Sooyoung.

Sooyoung is way harder to run away from, rather than chase. Jinsoul thinks she might pass out from exhaustion. To her luck though, Sooyoung trips and she sprints a little harder and instead of tagging the girl like a normal person she practically tackles Sooyoung. 

Falling to the ground with a thud she starts to laugh. She’s never met someone as fun as Jinsoul, never as bold either. The noise dies in when Jinsoul crawls over top of her and pins her arms above her head.  

Jinsoul straddles her hips and hovers over her. Sooyoung’s wrists are squeezed against the ground and she’s completely paralyzed.  

“Ha...finally got you.” Jinsoul is breathing heavily and let’s go of Sooyoung’s wrists to raise up. Sooyoung has to cover her eyes because she felt like her veins were about to pop if she stared at Jinsoul for any longer. 

Jinsoul pats at the girls tummy, “Sooyoung I got you aren't you impressed with my mad skills?” Still hiding her face she huffs. 

God what was wrong with her?  

Was this that feeling everyone talked about? That flood of hormones whenever someone you thought was hot touched you? Sooyoung tries to keep her breath steady but it’s kinda hard with the way Jinsoul’s upper thighs are wrapped around her. 

Thankfully Jinsoul doesn’t notice how much she likes this.

Jinsoul tickles at her sides, Sooyoung is happy for the distraction and squirms underneath her. Holding her hands against her chest she laughs loudly as Jinsoul digs her fingers into her ribs.  

It’s punishment, but Sooyoung wasn’t anywhere but heaven. 

But it doesn’t thunder in heaven she thinks. Jinsoul freezes and looks to the sky, when did it get that dark. “Oh !” Not five seconds later the first drop hits her in the nose. Then the downpour happens.  

Sooyoung raises up and tries to shield Jinsoul’s head from the rain but it’s useless.

“Go to the bleachers!” Jinsoul scrambles to get off of her, the rain already soaked them to the bone. Watching the girl run off Sooyoung sprints go get their stuff that was slowly getting drowned by the rain. 

Joining Jinsoul under the bleachers she shivers at the cold rain sticking to her skin. Looking at the girl she’s dripping wet, her teeth chattering. Shuffling near her she drops their things to the ground and digs through her bag. 

She had a hoodie in there so she gives it Jinsoul to keep her warm. The girl slips it over herself and instantly wraps it around her body.

Above them, the sound of rain bullets onto the metal bleachers. There’s still water pouring around them but not enough to soak them. 

Sooyoung stands away from Jinsoul, transfixed on the noise around them. The rain makes everything blurry. It’s taken over their entire world. But then, it truly felt like it was only the two of them. Stuck underneath this exceptional shelter, freezing their asses off. 

“Looks like it ain’t stopping for a while.” Sooyoung hums out, wiping the small droplet that falls on her face.  

Jinsoul has her eyes closed, she was afraid of thunder and lightning. What if it struck the bleachers and electrocuted them? Thunder rolls again and she tightens her arms around herself pulling the hoodie in the process.   

“I like the rain.” Jinsoul opens up one eye, Sooyoung has her arms up in the air, her hands hanging onto the bleachers above them. Her eyes seemed locked into the distance. “It’s like the world stops for a little while.” Her calming voice distracts Jinsoul from all the negative thoughts.    

Everything seemed frozen. So she becomes frozen too. Her eyes fixed onto the distance that didn’t really exist due to the cloak of water the rain brought. 

While Sooyoung was focused on the rain, Jinsoul took the time to appreciate Sooyoung’s face. 

Sooyoung was beautiful from the side. Jinsoul liked the curves of her features, but someone they were still sharp and flawless. Everything was soft about her, but at the same time set as if they were made of stone. 

Reaching out to Sooyoung she grabs onto her wet shirt, “Sooyoung I’m cold.” She tugs the fabric until she gets it. Sooyoung envelopes Jinsoul into her embrace. The girl rests her head against her chest and grabs onto the back of her shirt for leverage.   

Somehow the warmth brings them both back to life, and the world starts to spin again.  

Sooyoung forgets the memories the rain always brought and Jinsoul forgets the fear lodged into her chest. She snuggles into Sooyoung’s own for comfort, despite being soaked, she still smelled like cinnamon.  

“Better?” 

“Better…” 

Jinsoul clings onto Sooyoung as they rock back and forth, waiting for the rain to pass. Jinsoul still shutters everytime it thunders but Sooyoung only squeezes her closer when it happens. 

When the rain slows down to a drizzle, Jinsoul mumbles into Sooyoung’s chest, “awe I was starting to like it.” Sooyoung has her cheeked pressed against the top of Jinsoul’s head, her eyes are closed as well.  

Neither of them really want to break apart, so they don’t. Sooyoung continues to hold Jinsoul close to her and Jinsoul lets it happen. This week has been sort of nightmare for her emotions and hormones. 

Her crush on Sooyoung was getting ridiculous to the point where she was doodling their kids names in her notebook. Jinsoul doesn’t even know if Sooyoung is still dating Rose or not… 

Maybe she should just find out now, “hey are you and Rose like a thing?” Sooyoung grunts for an answer and sighs pretty loudly. Not really the answer Jinsoul was expecting but it was good enough. 

Sooyoung pulls back at the same time Jinsoul does. Looking up Jinsoul holds her breath, why was Sooyoung so stupidly attractive. It was hard to get her mind straight. 

“No, I like someone else.” Jinsoul forms an O with her lips. Who could Sooyoung possibly like? Was it YooA? Some girl Jinsoul didn’t know? 

Sooyoung’s eyes dart all over Jinsoul’s face, unsure of what feature to fawn over. She decides on Jinsoul’s eyes, which are covered by her now foggy glasses. Sooyoung takes the hand that rested on Jinsoul’s hip to take them off.  

The girl blinks as her sight is taken away, thank god she was nearsighted. Sooyoung smiles, Jinsoul was too pretty for this world. Latching the glasses to the back of her shorts she takes both hands to cup Jinsoul’s face. 

Sooyoung falls in love when she squishes the girls cheeks together.  

Taking her thumb to wipe off the fallen droplets it’s like she falls under hypnosis. Out of all the girls she’s woo’d this is the first time her heart is struck by someone else. Never has she been the one to fall for someone’s charm.

But Jinsoul wasn’t just anybody was she?  

Jinsoul has her brows raised. This really had to be a dream, there was no way Ha Sooyoung liked her. But she would be a fool to say that isn’t love in Sooyoung’s eyes. 

She can’t look away, she’s afraid she’ll wake up from the dream then. Only to find that Sooyoung has never looked at her in that way. That it was all just some cruel joke that god was playing on her. 

Sooyoung wipes Jinsoul’s cheek again, how can skin be this soft and smooth?  

“I like you.” Jinsoul closes her eyes, it wasn’t a dream. Ha Sooyoung just said that to her. She was gonna faint. 

Sooyoung searches for the reaction but there is none. Jinsoul only has her eyes closed her face leaned into the palm of her hand. Sooyoung tilts the girls face up with her hands and holds her tenderly. 

Her lungs get tighter and tighter and she doesn’t notice that her lips are gravitating towards Jinsoul’s own.  

Oh my god it’s happening

Sooyoung was a really good kisser, or she’s been told. But right now she felt like she’s never done it before. Sooyoung finally felt like a teenager with the way her heart was pounding. 

Her eyes flutter closed as Jinsoul’s does. Her thumb still caresses the girls cheek. Jinsoul’s hands have her waist in a death grip. Sooyoung’s ears ring and the only sound is the beat of her heart. 

Their bodies fit together like puzzle pieces and Sooyoung tilts her head. It’s okay you’ve done this before...you know what you’re doing. When her nose bumps into Jinsoul’s she gasps  I’m gonna pass out. She can feel the girls warm breath on her lips. 

Sooyoung them to make sure they're still there, they’ve gone numb from the cold. Resting her forehead on Jinsoul’s she tries to find the confidence to finally seal it. 

God she’s never wanted to kiss someone so badly.  

Jung Jinsoul, do you see what you’re doing to me. 

Thunder rolls above them and both of them jerk away at the sound. Sooyoung looks up at the bleachers and lets out a breath. It’s full of disappointment, Jinsoul on the other hand is finally able to breathe again. 

Ha Sooyoung was about to kiss her. 

When it cracks again Jinsoul instantly finds herself in the curve of Sooyoung’s body, whining into the girl’s chilled skin. “I HATE YOU!” Sooyoung doesn’t know who Jinsoul is talking to, it was the thunder, but with the way the girl was trembling in her hold right now she doubt it was her.  

So she goes back to keeping her safe in her embrace. When she first hugged Jinsoul it was panic inducing. Now it was just second nature. Still it left Sooyoung with a heart ache.

Sooyoung doesn’t know if she could find the momentum again to kiss Jinsoul. When she looks at the girls eyes again she knows she can’t, the nerves were overpowering her feelings now. But deep down, she knew that Jinsoul would have kissed her back. 

It’s a lot to think about. 

She’s thankful that tomorrow is the weekend. Sooyoung will spend the whole time celebrating that Jung Jinsoul likes her back. The girl she’s had it bad for ever since she’s talked to her that day in the bathroom if she were to be honest.

Sooyoung hopes the cold on her mind wasn’t messing with her vision. She really hopes what she saw was true. Jinsoul was leaning forward too.

Jinsoul has gone shy, her eyes are glossed over with this silent plea. “Sooyoung you’re going to kill me one of these days.” She only smiles showing off the thing Jinsoul has come to love.   

They avoid it, what almost happened between them and pack up. It’s not awkward but it leaves an emptiness inside for the both of them. The rain had gone now, only the remaining droplets sprinkled here and there. Sooyoung zips up her bag and glances up when a hands rubs softly into her scalp.  

Jinsoul is smiling down at her, it’s almost hidden with the way she’s biting her lip. The soft fingers that were massaging her scalp hang loosely before here. 

Sooyoung starts to lose herself in the gentleness of Jinsoul’s eyes. 

“Walk me home?”  

Smiling she takes hold of Jinsoul’s hand. Tangling her fingers with the girls own. 

It’s become second nature too.

~~~~

I hope this was okay! :/