A squirtle of love

Relay of the Heart

 

“This is your moment Jinsoul.”

Swallowing down the panic attack that was boiling in . Jinsoul steps up to the starting line. Scary track people stare at her that makes her even more nervous. The only way she hasn’t passed out yet is from the memories of Sooyoung. 

“Just like this, you’re gonna bend down and set your feet, when you come up it’s like a rocket.”  

Jinsoul closes her eyes once she’s down and ready. She remembers how Sooyoung’s hands gently guided her through the steps. She was half listening half freaking out over how softly Sooyoung was speaking to her. 

You’ll do great, I believe in you.”   

Her heart was beating so fast, was it the nerves or the adrenaline? Jinsoul wasn’t so sure what it was. But this was something so trivial that felt serious. This was the thing that brought her and Sooyoung together. This was the relay race she was forced into. This led the most important exchange in her life so far. Her giving her math skills to Ha Sooyoung.  

When she sees the kids beside her lift up so does she, a second later she hears the gunshot. 

“As soon as the gunshot goes off, run.”  

With Sooyoung’s advice in the back of her mind and the baton in her palm Jinsoul starts to sprint with her all.  

“Keep your pace, never stop for one moment. Don’t slow down. Give it your all. Put your heart into it.”  

Jinsoul was putting her heart into it alright. It was going to explode from how hard it was pumping. It didn’t help that every time she thought of Sooyoung it would constrict. Her heart was in this race for more reasons than one. This race was the reason her heart was so full.  

Flashbacks grace her mind. Of Sooyoung running beside her, pushing her to her limit. Encouraging her to keep up. Supporting her when she couldn’t go much longer. That damn smile, it makes her smile too. She picks up her pace and runs even faster. 

Her heart wasn’t only in this race. 

It was in Sooyoung’s hands as well. 

Jinsoul hadn’t only exchanged her tutoring skills to Sooyoung. She had given something precious to the girl she wouldn’t have even thought of at the beginning of the year. Never would she had thought she would have fallen for Ha Sooyoung out of all people. Back then she only saw the girl as some player that was a bit too cold for something like love. 

A bit too reserved for something as special as they had. 

But now Sooyoung was almost everything to her. She was Jinsoul’s first true love. The one she passed her feelings too. 

Just like she was about to pass this baton.   

Looking around she sees that she’s in front of everyone. Giggling out of breath she quickly passes the baton to Seulgi and the girl darts off as soon as she feels the foam. Jinsoul’s lungs are burning and her first instinct is to hunch over. But a voice breaks into the confines of her head once more. 

“Hold your arms up, you’ll breathe easier like that.”  

Jinsoul turns red in the face as she stretches up. She remembers how Sooyoung would give her a drink and hold her arms up for her. Counting her breaths and telling her when the exhale and inhale.  

She hears the cheers all around her. The whole school was here, probably waited for her to trip and fall. To lose the race for these monsters that call themselves athletes. But the angel that disguised herself as a teenage girl had helped Jinsoul prove everyone wrong. That she was capable of absolutely anything. 

As long as she put her heart into it. 

Closing her eyes she almost wants to cry, she did it. She really showed them, the ones who didn’t believe in her and set her up for failure and embarrassment. Maybe tomorrow things will go back to normal. Everyone will remember she’s a loser, but today she was the biggest winner in history. 

She hears her name being yelled out. It’s called over and over again. It’s drowned out by the constant cheering echoing through the stands. Jinsoul opens her eyes and instantly smiles when she sees Sooyoung waving and sprinting towards her. Jinsoul stands there unsure what to do. 

Jinsoul should never underestimate Sooyoung’s speed or strength. Because five seconds later she’s being spun in the air by strong arms. Sooyoung’s chanting her name and something she couldn’t quite believe.

“YOU WON! THEY WON JINSOUL! YOU’RE THE RELAY CHAMP!”  

Screaming along with Sooyoung, tears really do come out of her eyes. She’s so happy, Jinsoul’s never heard Sooyoung so excited before, and it was all because of her. She was the reason Sooyoung was laughing and screaming just like any other girl.  

At first Sooyoung was quiet and didn’t smile. Now her smile was so wide it was reaching her eyes and she was the loudest in the whole field. Jinsoul’s legs dangle in the air as she hugs Sooyoung back, thanking her over and over again with a small voice.  

Last night she was scared that once this was all over Sooyoung would forget about her and move on. Once the exchange was over so was their friendship. 

But with the way Sooyoung was looking at her, she felt so silly for thinking that.  

“Jinsoul you’re the best!”  

She might be a loser again tomorrow. But she’ll always be a winner. Because she put her heart in Ha Sooyoung.    

~~~~

Putting her down Sooyoung can’t contain her excitement. Jinsoul had brought her team to victory, Sooyoung was so proud of her. Of them. Of all the hard work they did for something as pointless as a spring sporting event to bring the students together. But somehow it felt so much more than just that.  

Hugging Jinsoul close again she whispered again, “you’re the best.” Jinsoul really was the best to her. It helped a lot that she was so damn pretty. So pretty that Sooyoung’s heart would stop. She meant it so serious.  

Everything was the best about Jinsoul. Her hugs and her voice. Sooyoung squeezes onto her tight making sure she existed.

“Heyyy! Jung Jinsoul!” The two pull apart or really it’s just Jinsoul gasping when she sees three tall athletes coming towards her. The ones that said they’d smash her to a pulp if they lost this race. Jinsoul quickly hides behind Sooyoung and grabs onto the back of her shirt, shyly peeking over her shoulder. Sooyoung smiles at her teammates surprising them with how bubbly she is. They smile too, Sooyoung’s was kinda contagious.   

Jeonghwa waves at them, “we just wanted to tell your friend good job.” Sooyoung whips her head around to Jinsoul who was shaking behind her. The girl looked terrified. Finding the girl’s hands she loosens their grip on the back of her uniform and holds them in her own. Jinsoul instantly latches onto them and squeezes on tight.  

Nudging her from out behind her Sooyoung brags on her a bit, “she was amazing.”

Minho smirks a bit, “all thanks to you.” Jinsoul agrees with a small nod. Sooyoung closely observed the girl as she thanks the group with a quiet voice. This was so similar to the girl she first met. The one that didn’t really bother speaking that much. Jinsoul was shy and a bit awkward which now thinking of it, was adorable.  

Now Sooyoung had Jinsoul blabbering on and on everyday, she was a passionate and cheerful person. Sometimes she would get angry that such an energetic personality was restricted by Jinsoul’s being bullied. Humming she only speaks the truth, “I didn’t do much, only taught her a few things.” 

Jinsoul side eyes her before shaking hands with the kids in front of her. Minho is the only one that doesn’t shake her hand however. Jinsoul is silently wishing for death as the abnormally large boy pulls her into a hug. Sooyoung idly stands by as her teammates start to realize the hype around the small girl, “awe Sooyoung she really is cute!”  

Seulgi tells her as she’s patting on Jinsoul’s head, who is turn is red from embarrassment. Sooyoung scratches at her face a little shy herself, “I know…” Sooyoung sighs out while fondly looking at Jinsoul. She really...really liked her.

It was the best feeling in the world just by looking at her.   

The team gives Jinsoul their numbers, telling the girl with now crooked glasses they should hang out sometime. Jinsoul is shocked to say the least, this was the first time any popular kids have given her a positive attitude. It felt...kinda nice. People were starting to notice her and not in a bad way. Jinsoul straightens her glasses out and remembers the girl that was waiting on her. 

Sooyoung slightly jumps when she’s caught staring at Jinsoul. She really thought Jinsoul was the cutest. Her button nose and almond shaped eyes. Her lips spread into a dorkier smile as she swings over to face Sooyoung. She doesn’t mean to stiffen up, but Jinsoul still made her incredibly nervous when she looked at her curiously like that. 

Jinsoul pokes at her tummy like she always does to get her to relax, “you’re being weird again.” Sooyoung slouches a bit, similar to how Jinsoul constantly does so and steps closer to the girl, where they didn’t have any personal space left.  

“Then stop being so cute.” Jinsoul seems to hate when she says that and pushes her a bit out of frustration. Sooyoung only giggles and brings her closer to snuggle underneath her arm. Jinsoul fits perfectly there and Sooyoung walks them across the field, smiling affectionately at the girl that was suddenly happy again.  

“Will you buy me a Gatorade? Since I’m such a good coach?” Jinsoul slips out from underneath her arm and Sooyoung whines at the sudden emptiness under her arm. That’s where she believed Jinsoul belonged, right by her side. Or even better. In her arms. 

Sooyoung was fully aware of her crush on Jinsoul now, and while they’ve gotten shyer around each other after the almost kiss. Sooyoung had noticed the teasing and flirting had occurred more often. Not like she was complaining, every time she saw Jinsoul blush and glance away it did something to her feelings.  

Ever since she met Jinsoul’s she’s been all in her feelings. Thinking about the girl like she was her entire world. But who was Sooyoung kidding, she was working on making Jinsoul her whole world.  

Jinsoul has her arms crossed but she’s still smirking, “hmm maybe if you catch me.” Sooyoung isn’t given a second to react when Jinsoul darts off, it was kinda their thing now she guesses. They probably look stupid in front of everyone but neither of them cared because it was fun. Sooyoung had never bothered anyway, Jinsoul was the only person that made her feel this bubbly inside.  

When the girl isn’t paying attention she slams into a body and falls her to the ground. Sooyoung who was slowly chasing her around kicks in her true speed when she sees Jinsoul tumble. The person who had bumped into doesn’t reach down to help, just standing there in a defensive stance. Sooyoung helps Jinsoul up to her feet and holds onto her shoulders protectively.

Lisa rolls her eyes, “tell your girlfriend to watch where she’s going.”  

Jinsoul blushes furiously at her words and Sooyoung doesn’t even try to correct her, “maybe you should watch where you’re standing…” 

Lisa scoffs and walks away, “our race is soon Sooyoung, I hope you’re not too lovesick to fall behind.” Sooyoung smiles, she felt quite the opposite. She was full of energy all because of Jinsoul. That’s how she knew this crush was a good thing, unlike all the stories of your first crushes being a nightmare. 

Jinsoul follows behind her as Sooyoung walks into a different direction, “why do people think we’re dating.” Sooyoung smiles weirdly at Jinsoul, weren’t they dating? It kinda felt like it, Sooyoung had done a lot more with Jinsoul than she did with Rose and that girl been saying they were dating. For example, Sooyoung never went on dates with Rose, but was constantly hanging out with Jinsoul by getting food and walking near the park.  

“Sooyoung?” Jinsoul looks a bit dazed and panicked at the same time. 

She just hums satisfied, “the Gatorade Jinsoul.” 

Jinsoul dies a little on the inside when Sooyoung starts to hold her hand.  

She doesn’t think she’ll ever get used to it.

~~~~ 

Students gather around at the race between Sooyoung and Lisa, it wasn’t scheduled but probably the most important event of the day. Sooyoung wasn’t worried one bit, she just wanted to win it fast so she can go back to Jinsoul.  

The Ashe haired girl beside her smirks before joining her on the track. Sooyoung can only think of one thing. Jinsoul’s voice cheering her on, saying she’s amazing over and over again.  

All her life Sooyoung’s never felt as great as everyone had told her. It was always the same thing everyday. Sooyoung was a bit of an it girl, someone who everyone wanted to be friends with but didn’t take time to know. Sooyoung was placed on this pedestal, but it was quite lonely up there. 

Jinsoul had reached up and pulled her down. Sooyoung didn’t feel so alienated with the girl. Jinsoul didn’t see her as this untouchable person like everyone else did. Jinsoul really treated her like she was an amazing person.  

It made her heart flutter. 

Sooyoung hears the pop of the starting gun and sprints off. Leaving Lisa to eat her dust. Sooyoung smiles as she runs, she never really cared what people thought of her, sure they already thought she was the . But when Sooyoung looked in the mirror she didn’t see it.

Guess that’s how it’s meant to be 

Ever since meeting Jinsoul, she’s wanted to prove it though. Just how great she really was. Not because people said she was, but because she felt like she was. Sooyoung kinda felt like the coolest girl ever, because Jung Jinsoul seemed to like her quite a lot.  

She thought that alone was enough proof. 

So Sooyoung runs her heart out, because she put it into Jinsoul. That was the greatest energizer she’s ever had. To have your crush to be your biggest fan. Sooyoung may not be the greatest runner of all time, but she was to Jinsoul. 

And to her, that mattered so much more than a medal or trophy. 

Because she had won someone’s heart. 

~~~~

Lisa kicks at the dust she was left in, angry that she didn’t even come close to beating Sooyoung. The team congratulated Sooyoung as the girl caught her breath, while winking at her for other reasons. In the far distance stands Jinsoul with Sooyoung’s favorite color of gatorade.   

If this was any other girl, Sooyoung’s heart wouldn’t drop to her stomach.  

Sooyoung didn’t get love at first, not understanding how someone could be head over heels for a single person.  

But when she looked at Jinsoul, everything just made so much sense.  

Not even bothering to say goodbye to the crew she jogs over to the girl who had a blue raincoat on and some baggy jeans. her lips as she steps into the girls comfort zone she quietly mumbles out to her, “hey beautiful.” Jinsoul blushes as she slams the Gatorade bottle into Sooyoung’s tummy making her huff out.  

Although it was getting easier to flirt with Jinsoul, Sooyoung still was nervous as hell when she does it. She really needed to get her confidence back. Usually she couldn’t be bothered with something as lame as nerves, but one look from Jinsoul had her shaking.  

Jinsoul doesn’t say anything to her and starts to walk off. Sooyoung pouts up as the girl does so and stares at the Gatorade in her hand. Following after Jinsoul she doesn’t say anything just trails behind her silently until the girl notices. Jinsoul turns around and acts like she’s going to beat her up so Sooyoung runs off goofily before meeting back up with the girl. 

When Jinsoul is pulling her back back on Sooyoung taps on her shoulder, “let’s go get milkshakes.”  

The girl looks at her and it confuses Sooyoung she almost was...sad? Sooyoung doesn’t like it one bit, she cared so much about Jinsoul and hated it when the girl was upset. 

Jinsoul seems to be conflicting about something until she finally agrees. Sooyoung still gets to see that gorgeous smile she’s come to adore but it doesn’t feel the same, it’s not real.  

They walk shoulder to shoulder to the milkshake drive by, Sooyoung wants to reach out to hold Jinsoul’s hand but there’s some sort of tension between them that makes Sooyoung sick to her stomach. Did she do something wrong? 

“I’m really proud of you, it was awesome seeing you out there today.” Sooyoung tries to make conversation but Jinsoul only hums at her, kicking a rock in their path. Sooyoung slightly panics, but years of staying calm in stressful situations has helped her. Sooyoung tries think of everything she’s did today and said to Jinsoul.  

Nothing comes out of the ordinary, it must be something or someone else. 

But Sooyoung’s too afraid to ask. She’s been minding her business for so long she doesn’t know how to be nosy. God, she was kinda a bad friend. Back then she wasn’t even remotely worried about other people to be concerned enough to ask what was wrong. Now it was all she was thinking about. What was upsetting Jinsoul? 

She was indifferent to it all once upon a time, but Jung Jinsoul has changed her.  

“I think I’m gonna get the cookies and cream what about you?” Sooyoung mumbles out and Jinsoul shrugs for an answer. Stumbling on her own feet Sooyoung wants to scream. Old her wouldn’t even be affected by something like this. Her face wouldn’t even crack but she could feel the pout on it right now.   

Bumping into Jinsoul’s shoulder she tries to lighten up the mood, “you don’t talk much do you?” 

Jinsoul stops in her tracks and she’s thrown back into memory.  

When Sooyoung had sat next to her and said the same thing when she was so stuck in her own mind.    

Just ask it Jinsoul. If the answer is not what you want it to be, then you move on. 

“What’s the exchange now?”  

Sooyoung watches the finger wiggle between their bodies. Jinsoul who looked lost in thought before was glaring at Sooyoung with frustration. “Huh?” The girl groans and shakes her head. 

Jinsoul rubs at her own cheek,“Tell me I’m being overdramatic.” 

Sooyoung stares at her, “you’re being overdramatic.” 

What Sooyoung hears next doesn’t sit well with her, “I’m afraid that we won’t exist to each other anymore since you know...I’m done with the relay and according to Mr. Kim…” Jinsoul throws her hands up to slap them back down against her thighs with a tired expression. 

“You’re passing math.”  

She takes a moment to think, Jinsoul’s words are vague and the point of them is unclear to Sooyoung which was weird. Jinsoul was always honest and straightforward. Her fists ball up when the first thought comes to mind, “so you’re saying we have no reason to be friends anymore.”  

Jinsoul quickly shakes her hands between them, “no! That’s what I’m afraid of!” Sooyoung finds the first thing she doesn’t like about Jinsoul. She thinks way too much, while Sooyoung just let things flow.  

Why would she even think of something like that? It bugged Sooyoung, “don’t be.” Jinsoul smiles out of relief but soon realizes that Sooyoung’s mad by the way she walks away.  

Jinsoul jogs up towards her and starts to ramble, “it’s just you’re the type of person that doesn’t seem like they want to be bothered and like I don’t want to annoy you or anything I just I don’t know Sooyoung-“ 

“You’re talking too much now.” 

“Sorry,” Jinsoul holds her head down. Why do you have to go and screw everything up. Her head snaps to the left though when her hand is grabbed. Going to say something Sooyoung shushes her and squeezes onto her hand.  

Sooyoung on the other hand is crumbling on the inside. Jinsoul’s hand fit perfectly into her own, but that didn’t distract the fact that she was a bit upset at the girl’s words. 

Am I giving her the wrong signals? 

Walking to the milkshake stand Sooyoung gets both of them their favorite flavors. Jinsoul tries to pay for hers but the taller girl refuses. Staring Jinsoul down, making her knees shake a bit. 

After they get the overly sugary drinks they sit across from each other at a small table. Jinsoul happily slurps on her as Sooyoung takes her time to study Jinsoul’s features. 

Trying to stay mad it proves to be difficult. Why is she so ing cute. Jinsoul puffs her cheeks up with the cold cream and smiles at Sooyoung before swallowing. Internally screaming at the overload of adorableness while Jinsoul externally screams at the sudden brain freeze she has.

As Jinsoul’s cradling her head between her hands and cursing out every word in the book that would put mothers to shame Sooyoung curls up from the tingly feeling in her body. 

I want to call her baby…I want her to call me baby

After Jinsoul gets rid of the pain she sighs out. Looking across the small table she watches Sooyoung smile and scrunch up her nose along with her shoulders very cutely. Embarrassed Jinsoul hides her face from the girl who was ogling her with heart eyes. This was definitely a hazard to her health and emotions. From how fuzzy Sooyoung made her feel by just smiling.  

The girl suddenly turns serious however. 

“Jinsoul-Ah I didn’t really like what you said earlier.” Sooyoung softly scolds her before starting a game of footsie under the table. Interlocking their feet together and bumping her knees against Jinsoul’s. The girl nods at her visibly guilty, she had assumed things about Sooyoung that she shouldn’t have. Sooyoung would not drop her like that after all of this… 

After all the connection they’ve had, the conversations that’s pulled them closer. The fluttering feelings that they’ve never felt before, especially Sooyoung. 

The athlete has never been comfortable like this with someone. Sooyoung doesn’t know what it is about Jinsoul, but she feels like she can relax around the girl. It’s easy to express her emotions and to be weak in front of her. Since meeting Jinsoul she’s learned a lot more about herself in the span of a couple months than she has in a few years.

Because Jinsoul actually asked her things that had her thinking of what she really believed in and how she felt. Jinsoul cared and listened to the things she talked about. Either it being something more critical or just nonsense. 

It also felt natural to be affectionate with her instead of awkward and impersonal like it was with other girls. Jinsoul was so gentle, except her voice which was only sweet on occasions, and Sooyoung found holding Jinsoul’s hand necessary. She found Jinsoul’s hugs to be a safe place for her to melt into her own feelings.  

The girl had changed her. Sooyoung smiles more, talked cheerfully, showed her emotions. Was more of just the empty shell of a person she was before. She had lost the urge to be indifferent.  

Sooyoung used to avoid attention, but now she sought it, only from Jinsoul though.  

It was just easy with her. 

She thought Jinsoul was a great person, carefree and fun. Sweet and honest. A girl that’s really let her heart bloom.  

So it was only human to ask the same from Jinsoul.

“What do you really think of me?”

The girl seems surprised at her question but Sooyoung was nothing but curious. She only hopes Jinsoul is honest.  

Jinsoul takes a drink of her milkshake before diving into it, “at first I didn’t really have a good opinion of you.” Sooyoung frowns but she doesn’t let it get to her, “I thought you were just like every other jock, except you were quiet so I guessed you just didn’t give too much of a to waste your time on anyone unless you was messing around with them.”  

“You didn’t smile, you seemed to never really care about anyone, you were just...unapproachable. Cold. What a lot of people considered cool. So I acted like I didn’t know you because well, why would I want to know someone like you.” Jinsoul admits, she remembers what she thought of Ha Sooyoung back then. She could care less about the notoriously smooth player. Never seeing the hype around her. 

Until… 

That was until, “but that day in the bathroom, ya know when we made the deal, you just gave me this look.” Jinsoul shyly twists her feet around Sooyoung’s. “You were so sincere it kinda shocked me.”

Jinsoul looks into the girl’s eyes across from her, Sooyoung was in a bit of a shock as well. “Everyday you took my assumptions and just ripped them to shreds.” She explains with her hands dangling in the air, that whipped around with her words.

“I learned that you’re actually the coolest person ever.” Jinsoul admits to herself more than Sooyoung. She's always found Sooyoung unreasonably attractive but she denied it. Because she’d never want to give some the credit like that. But from the very first day Sooyoung had proved that she was everything but that.  

“You’re thoughtful and sweet, so charming that it’s annoying.”Jinsoul tilts her head at all the things Sooyoung’s done for her. Like giving her shoes when she had none, protecting her from Lucas’s many pranks, taking the time to get to know and hang out with her. Learning about her own interests. “I think you’re misunderstood Ha Sooyoung. I think you’re so much more than what everyone has put you up as.”

It’s a blow to the heart for Sooyoung. She has the need to hold her chest as her heart pounds against it.  

“You aight I guess.” Jinsoul mocks the athlete’s oice and expression as Sooyoung tries to hold back tears.

Sooyoung can’t fight it anymore, “do you know why I don’t smile?”

The girl across the table drops her smile and her eyes widen. Sooyoung leans across, “so many people tell me I’m special but you’re the only person that really makes me feel that way.” Jinsoul bites at her lip and blushes at Sooyoung’s bold words and closes her eyes when her hand is grabbed by Sooyoung’s. Bye I feel like I’m one of those girls in a shoujo manga. “I didn’t smile because I never had a reason to.” 

Jinsoul slowly makes eye contact with Sooyoung. She realizes that she’s actually in love. 

“You’re the biggest reason why I smile, I can’t stop when I’m around you Jinsoul. You make me...really happy.”   

You’re the only reason.  

They share the staring contest for a couple moments before Jinsoul loses to Sooyoung who felt like she just won the olympics. The girl in glasses screams and pushes her hands away, “you should be in jail right now! Like it should be illegal!” Sooyoung doesn’t understand but giggles anyways. Jinsoul seems to be breaking from the inside out.

Sooyoung holds onto her chest as she breaks out into a smile, “Ah I’m so nervous hehe.” Jinsoul kicks at her from underneath, rambling nonsense at her.  

After Jinsoul gets whatever that was out of her system she shakes her head, “what do you want from me....” 

Sooyoung pretends to think by scratching at her chin, “hmm.” She knew exactly what she wanted. “I think it would be nice if you would sit next to me and help me drink this milkshake, I’m so tired from all the running today.” Sooyoung pouts at Jinsoul from across the table. Her heart was practically screaming at her at all times to have Jinsoul close. Her mind was constantly craving Jinsoul’s attention.  

The girl fiddles with her glasses before dumbly mumbling out, “oh my god you’re serious.” Sooyoung raises one brow, she was so serious. If Jinsoul didn’t come over to her side she was going to drag the girl.

“I’m giving you three seconds before I start crying.” Jinsoul instantly scrambles to her side of the table and sits next to her. Sooyoung wraps an arm around her as soon as she does so. They fit into each other instantly and Jinsoul tilts her face away from Sooyoung’s although she was the one probably less affected by the proximity. Sooyoung just liked it a lot when she could stare freely at Jinsoul’s face so closely.

“Don’t you say from earlier like that again...seriously I almost had a .” Sooyoung shivers at the thought of her and Jinsoul going back to what they were before. Her going back to being an emotionless play girl who only found joy eating peanut butter and running track and Jinsoul continuing on to be the greatest girl alive...without Sooyoung. 

The thought made Sooyoung’s chest empty, it made her feel lonely.  

“You! Sooyoung I’ve been up all week worried sick that you was just gonna be like peace,” Jinsoul actually throws up deuces for emphasis, “after all this.” 

Sooyoung pinches at Jinsoul’s side as the girl tries to sneak in some of her Oreo milkshake, “why wouldn’t we still be friends?” 

Jinsoul sighs and shakes her head, “it’s stupid.” 

“Nothing you say is stupid.” Sooyoung retaliates. Jinsoul had said a lot of things but every bit of it has been important to Sooyoung. She hardly ever listened to anyone, but she tries to remember everything that Jinsoul says. Because what the girl thought was good enough to put into words, Sooyoung thought was good enough to hold it as a memory.

Jinsoul hides her face with her hand, “I’m insecure.” Sooyoung doesn’t really know what that means, but before she even asks Jinsoul explains it. “I know it’s stupid! It’s just sometimes I think that I don’t know...I’m not good enough. Like compared to Rose and YooA I’m like a dumpling to a piece of expensive steak.”  

“I like dumplings a lot more than expensive steak.” Jinsoul doesn’t appreciate her statement at all as Sooyoung receives a nasty look. 

Jinsoul points in her face, “see annoyingly charming.” The girl groans and rubs at her face, “it’s more as why do I deserve your time over prettier and better girls that want your time just as much as I do.” Sooyoung narrows her eyes, yeah she really didn’t like when Jinsoul did too much thinking.  

“You’re hurting my feelings Jinsoul.” 

The girl suddenly panics but Sooyoung shushes her, “I tell you I think you’re the most beautiful girl in the world and that you’re the best and this is how you repay me.” Jinsoul mirrors her own expression. Stone cold. 

“I want to spend my time with you, so please accept me.” Sooyoung wasn’t sure how she could take away Jinsoul’s insecurities. She could just ask Jinsoul to believe what she said. “I don’t think about them at all and you seem to always be on my mind. I think that’s a pretty big difference don’t you think?” Jinsoul sighs and scoots away from her. Sooyoung drags her back in.  

Jinsoul wanted to stop thinking so negatively. But she couldn’t help it, without any alternative reasons to hang out with Sooyoung she thought the girl would go back to giving her time to all the other girls that were way more cooler than she was. Sooyoung was the schools sweetheart, she could have anyone she wanted and well...Jinsoul didn’t feel adequate enough. Jinsoul simply didn’t want to become one of the many girls that had fallen for Sooyoung only to get a piece of her love. 

She wanted all of her love.

But if this was a competition between all the girls who wanted Ha Sooyoung, Jinsoul felt as if she was on the short end of the stick.  

“I wish you weren’t insecure though, I hate that people have made you feel like your not as great as you really are.” Sooyoung takes a drink of her milkshake, “I’ll try my best to make you confident.”  

Jinsoul hates Sooyoung, she really does. How could someone be so thoughtful and considerate. Sooyoung was so much smarter than what they taught in the books, the girl really had a way with words. It was a shame she didn’t talk that much before meeting Jinsoul.  

“A new deal?” 

Sooyoung raises a brow. She thinks for a moment before turning to face Jinsoul. 

“You keep making me smile and I’ll help you find your confidence, there we now have to keep being friends.” Smiling already Sooyoung holds out her hand, Jinsoul takes it and shakes it firmly. 

A new exchange.

One that’s more from the heart. 

Jinsoul thinks she’ll break off of the stick of competition for Sooyoung because well, she’s kinda won already. Yeah sure people kept questioning their friendship, what was Sooyoung doing spending her time with a girl like Jinsoul? It made Jinsoul question herself. But that’s exactly what they wanted wasn't it? For her to start to doubt Sooyoung. 

Well em! 

Her first step was to listen to her heart.  

It was telling her to not push Sooyoung away, to keep her close.  

To know her worth, to know that she was good enough. 

To know that Sooyoung was already hers.

~~~~ 

With a steak and cheese behind her back she waits by Jinsoul’s locker with a bit of sweat dripping down her back. Her mom had looked at her weird when she had asked for something different for breakfast this morning but really she had hid it in a napkin to bring to Jinsoul. 

She remembered that the girl likes nasty food like this.  

Resting her head on the cold metal she gets antsy the longer she waits. Finally she hears tiny footsteps stomp towards her, “good morning.” Looking down she already smiles. Jinsoul is wearing the school uniform today and her hair is in soft waves. Sooyoung really can’t get over how silky it looks.  

Jinsoul eyes her curiously especially how she has her hands behind her back, “Good morning gorgeous.” The girl huffs out of frustration and opens up her locker to cover Sooyoung’s face up. Standing there with metal right in line of vision she slips the sandwich under the locker. 

“NO WAY!” Sooyoung peaks behind the locker to see Jinsoul’s surprised face. The girl is shuffling through her bag and pulls out something as well. “I got you a donut!” Sooyoung gasps and they exchange the foods with each other. Jinsoul bounces on her feet excitedly and thanks Sooyoung with something that makes both of their heart flutters. 

Jinsoul instantly starts to inhale the sandwich as Sooyoung holds her cheek in her hand. Jinsoul had given her another kiss there. Sooyoung fights the urge to pump her fist in victory and slowly eats the donut Jinsoul got her. It’s her favorite and she hums at the taste as Jinsoul rambles on about this new video game she got.  

Sooyoung listens intently, nodding her head everytime Jinsoul gets overly enthusiastic.   

I love talking to you.

The first bell rings and they quickly finish the food before Jinsoul starts to pull her books out, “no let me.” Sooyoung insists and they play tug-o-war with the books before Jinsoul gives up.   

It’s not too much of a fight either when Sooyoung holds Jinsoul’s hand with the one that wasn’t carrying the books.  

Everyone is staring at them and Jinsoul hides her face. She keeps telling herself not to worry about them. Believe in Sooyoung. Looking up Sooyoung is smiling at her brightly like she the happiest girl in the world by simply holding Jinsouls hand. In truth she was.   

It felt so right.  

Jinsoul’s fear is still there, but she kinda forgets about it when Sooyoung looks at her like that.  

Walking up to calculus Jinsoul giggles at the memory of Sooyoung awkwardly blocking her from the door. Turning around she’s surprised to see a frown, “um Jinsoul?” 

Turning her head to the side she pokes at the girls tummy with her free hand, “yesss?” 

Sooyoung almost looks like she’s going to cry, “I have qualifications this week and I’m leaving Wednesday.” Sooyoung pouts and it reaches Jinsoul’s lips as well.  

The shorter girl tries to think for a second, “when are you coming back?” 

“Sunday.”

Oh god that’s way too long. 

Sooyoung thinks the same thing, she’s going to miss Jinsoul so freaking much. “You have to call me every night okay?” Jinsoul nods seriously and turns her poking into small little pats, she had forgotten about her hand being in Sooyoung’s until it’s squeezed. “Can we hang out before I go too?” Jinsoul nods again and her tummy pats turn to rubs. Sooyoung was kinda needy, Jinsoul was melting in her spot.  

Jinsoul waves at Sooyoung as she heads for her own class. Sooyoung’s heart is a little broken. She really wanted a hug and a kiss so she could survive thought out the day.

As she passes by the janitor closet Sooyoung isn’t given a warning before she’s pulled in.  

~~~~ 

In class Jinsoul can’t stop thinking about Sooyoung, she was leaving for a good bit. That meant no hand holding or staring into each other's eyes and going bonkers whenever Jinsoul saw Sooyoung her lips. That also meant no hugs...which was the best thing ever. 

How was Jinsoul going to survive. 

The teacher is droning on and on in the front and someone taps her leg. Turning she sees it’s Jihyo, the girl that never wore the school uniform. “Are you and Ha Sooyoung dating?” 

Jinsoul blushes and only smiles. After the milkshakes, Sooyoung kept hinting towards something. But was shaking so bad she couldn’t ask Jinsoul. Jihyo’s mouth hangs, “!” Jinsoul smirks and wiggles in her seat a bit while she and Jihyo fangirl a bit. 

Yes, she may have not been dating Sooyoung yet. But Jinsoul wasn’t dumb… 

Sooyoung definitely liked her. 

Her fear was, she wasn’t the only girl that Sooyoung liked. 

But that was only her assumption, from the Sooyoung she had known before the exchange. Now Jinsoul wasn’t so sure all those rumors were true. They way that Sooyoung talked to her, Jinsoul kinda felt like the only girl in the world. 

Jinsoul feels a boost of self confidence. Yeah...yeah, she was the one that won Sooyoung’s heart. 

~~~~  

“Tell me this Sooyoung, why the were you holding Jinsoul’s hand in the hallway!” Rose is yelling at her, Sooyoung grimaces when a bit of spit hits her eye.  

Shrugging she tells the truth, “I like her?” 

Rose’s jaw drops in disbelief, “as in you want to date her?” 

Sooyoung nods pretty happily, “yeah I’m gonna ask her to be my girlfriend.”  

“I'M YOUR GIRLFRIEND YOU !” Sooyoung narrows her eyes, since when the hell, “oh my god...you don’t remember do you?” Rose whines a bit before pacing in the closet. 

“Of course you don’t ing remember you probably wasn’t listening.” Rose shakes her head and squeezes onto her temples with her fingers. The migraine was rapidly approaching, she wasn’t letting a loser like Jung Jinsoul take her spot in being Ha Sooyoung’s girlfriend. That wasn’t natural. Only the hottest girl was supposed to be and she was the hottest girl. “We were making out in here and I asked you if we were something.”  

Sooyoung was supposed to be shallow, she wasn’t supposed to actually fall for girls. “Do you remember what you said Sooyoung?” What would she look like if Sooyoung picked a weirdo like Jinsoul over her. She was prettier and better than the baby faced geek, was she not good enough? Rose was starting to feel insecure, “you said yeah sure.”  

Sooyoung shakes her head, “oh yeah…anyways I’m breaking up with you if we are dating.” Rose gives up, she gives up. Because she figures out that Sooyoung is the biggest loser in this school. The girl didn’t even realize what she had right in front of her and she goes after a girl like Jinsoul. Sooyoung is the hottest girl in the school and she could have anyone she wanted, and she goes for Jung ing Jinsoul.  

Giving all her attention and time to a who likes math.  

Rose gives up.  

How could she get between to lame es. She didn’t want to waste the energy.  

But then again, god you’re so weak. Rose had feelings for Sooyoung. She looked passed YooA because she knew Sooyoung was just doing that for fun, she looked passed all the girls that flirted with Sooyoung, ignored all the comments on Sooyoung’s photos. 

But this was real. Sooyoung was so obviously in love with Jinsoul and that’s what killed Rose. Yes she started to talk to Sooyoung to boost her popularity, but she actually fell for the girl. Because well Sooyoung was actually the coolest girl ever.  

Rose has to make up a plan, she wants to break Sooyoung’s heart for breaking hers.  

Shoving past the girl she slams the janitor door shut. 

She needs to find Kim Jungeun.

~~~~  

Sooyoung goes up to her usual spot and sees Lisa sitting there. The whole gang turns to look at her. “Um...the you want?” Beside Lisa sits a crying Rose. Sooyoung frowns, “find somewhere else to sit.” Lisa barks at her before going back to comfort Rose. 

Shrugging she goes to what should have been her first option. 

“And you know what they called her booty hole! A chilli ring...A CHILLI RING HEEJIN.” Jinsoul picks at her food since she wasn’t that hungry. She had seen Sooyoung go to sit at her normal table and got a bit disappointed.  

Someone plops beside her and the two in front of her go quiet, “Sooyoung!” Jinsoul silently stares in awe as the two fawn over the girl who was waving them off. Sooyoung takes her coat off and passes it to Jinsoul. 

“You look cold.” Jinsoul slips the jacket on even if she was a little warm. Giddiness builds up inside her and she can’t help but lean up against Sooyoung.  

Heejin and Jiwoo give her a mean look. They had been the ones on the other end of Jinsoul’s panic over Sooyoung. How she was afraid that the girl didn’t like her as much as it seemed. How Jinsoul was so dead wrong about everything when it came to Sooyoung. They listened to girl all night long over the phone. The both of them rolling their eyes whenever Jinsoul whined. 

What if she doesn’t want to hang out anymore?! What the am I going to do?!

Sooyoung starts to eat her lunch as the two across go back to their conversation about booty hole hygiene. Jinsoul forgets about her food and rests her chin on Sooyoung’s shoulder to stare at her profile. 

Jinsoul quickly backs away when three more people sit at the table. Heejin and Jiwoo freak out, Minho, Seulgi and Jeonghwa all sit at the table and smile at Sooyoung and Jinsoul. “Vibes are off over there.”  

Sooyoung agrees with a pointed look and finishes off her sandwich.    

Jinsoul doesn’t pay any mind, only wrapping her hands around Sooyoung’s arm and resting her head against her shoulder.   

Heejin and Jiwoo are shaking, the athletes were just talking normally as if this wasn’t a first time thing. Jiwoo squeaks when the senior, Seulgi , speaks to her. “Hi, what's your name?”  

Jiwoo smiles and nods, “yes.” 

Seulgi is puzzled until Heejin answers, “her name is Malcolm.”  

Sooyoung and Jinsoul laugh to themselves, of course already falling into their own world as their friends mingle and connect.  

Everyone seems to believe Heejin except Minho who knew who the red headed girl was, “Jiwoo it’s nice to meet you.” The boy says with a polite voice. It has Jiwoo blushing. 

“Y-you know my name?”  

He looks around before nodding and Heejin has to hold Jiwoo’s hand before she rockets out of the chair. Jiwoo kinda had a crush on everyone at this table. Even Jinsoul. In which Jiwoo once said, she’s so y, in a emo nerd kinda way.  

As the five in front of them argue and play around Jinsoul shares a look with Sooyoung, who was already staring at her. The girl blushes and doesn’t crack a smile as she turns away from Jinsoul’s smile.  

Jeonghwa catches the little exchange and squeals internally. God, these two were too cute. They were kinda perfect for each other. Jinsoul is softly speaking to Sooyoung as the taller girl’s face gets redder.  

She wanted love like that. 

Jeonghwa picks at her food, she wishes someone was obsessed with her like Sooyoung was with Jinsoul. 

~~~~ 

Just be chill, it’s just Jinsoul. 

Knocking on the door, it's only a few seconds before it swings open. Sooyoung gasps for air, getting light headed from how hard her lungs constrict from the sight in front of her. Jinsoul holds the door open and leans onto it. Today was a simple Tuesday afternoon, Sooyoung had ran after practice to go shower at home and get ready. Putting on her best outfit. 

She was going on a date with Jinsoul.  

And of course the girl was drop dead gorgeous. Sooyoung hides the flowers she got for Jinsoul behind her back as she sweats up a storm. She looks the girl up and down slowly losing her sanity at how beautiful she was. Angel, she must be an angel. Was the only way Sooyoung could describe it.  

The girl is smiling at her softly, greeting her with an even softer voice. Is this what honey would sound like? It somehow relaxes Sooyoung, it soothes her anxiety. “Hi Sooyoung.” She can’t say anything back because well, her brain was short wiring.  

Jinsoul’s hair was curled down her shoulders honestly it was a bit messy , her glasses weren’t present letting Jinsoul’s eyes shine with the help of makeup. Her body was covered by a black crew neck with plaid dress thrown over it. Sooyoung’s eyes widen, Jinsoul was even made pretty. How could someone be this perfect?  

“H-hi J-Jinsoul.” Sooyoung is going to die, she was stuttering like an idiot.  

Jinsoul blinks dramatically and Sooyoung points at her face, “contacts?” Jinsoul then gives her a wink that makes her crush the flowers in her hand.

The girl steps out of her door with only a small bag in hand. Was that a fanny pack? Sooyoung was too busy staring at Jinsoul’s leg to notice the girl swinging her arms. “Overall enthusiasm, overall enthusiasm.” Jinsoul chants at her as she closed the door. Sooyoung looks down at her outfit, she was just wearing a yellow turtleneck with overalls. Jinsoul steps down and whines, “when did you get taller?!” Sooyoung was already three inches taller than Jinsoul, now she towered over her. She looks down at her heels, maybe she went a little overboard.  

Sooyoung shrugs and Jinsoul tilts her head back to talk to her, “you ready?” Nodding she jerks the flowers from behind her back to show Jinsoul. They’re broken from her tight grip. They flop over and even some of them fall to the ground. 

Really Sooyoung…  

“Why are you so freaking…”

Dumb? Yes I know Jinsoul, you kinda made me this way. 

“Cute.” 

Sooyoung blushes as Jinsoul groans out. Suddenly she’s pulled into a hug, or really Jinsoul just shuffled until she fit into Sooyoung. Her head fitting right underneath Sooyoung’s chin. The girl mumbles out something else that Sooyoung can’t hear.  

You’re killing me Sooyoung.

Sooyoung still has her arms limp by her sides but she’s kicked into gear when Jinsoul was whines and pinches at her side. When Sooyoung engulfs the girl into her arms that’s when Jinsoul finally sighs satisfied. “I could stay here forever I think.” Sooyoung couldn’t agree even more.  

The girl pulls back rather quickly, Sooyoung actually wanted to stay there forever, but Jinsoul had plans for them. Sooyoung was just told to show up and be herself. Which was easy to do around Jinsoul. “Let me put these babies in some water.” The girl takes the broken and sweaty flowers out of Sooyoung’s hands and ushers them inside. 

Looking down the hall she shivers at the memory of her and Jinsoul laying the girl’s bed almost a foot apart. Then she smiles when she remembers what they did afterwards, dancing until they couldn’t breathe. Jinsoul was a good dancer, Sooyoung wonders if that’s one of the girls hobbies. 

Jinsoul hurries out the kitchen, “quick let’s go!” Sooyoung is confused at Jinsoul’s rush and then she hears Krystal’s voice from inside. Sooyoung was so scared of the woman so she runs with Jinsoul outside and to the car. Smiling she hops in at Jinsoul’s command ready to head within the city and to the mall.

The girl’s driving is not the...best, “WHOOPS! sorry must have hit a mushroom.” Jinsoul giggles out when she floored the gas pedal a bit too hard when the light turned green. Sooyoung held on for dear life, “relax! I’ll get us there in one piece.” Sooyoung really questions if they will or not. But Jinsoul seemed to be having fun swerving around on the road.  

When they arrive to the mall Sooyoung relaxes a bit, Jinsoul had said she wanted to there before taking them to the place where Sooyoung had suggested.  

Walking hand in hand, Sooyoung is entranced by Jinsoul’s voice, most of the time it’s deep and almost booming. Since Jinsoul got excited pretty easily by anything. She would make tiny wow noises and screech whenever she did something embarrassing. But times like these, when Jinsoul succumbs to being timid. Her voice is soothing and there’s a tiny lisp that has Sooyoung’s heart twisting.  

“You look really pretty,” Sooyoung can barely catch it the compliment. Tugging Jinsoul’s hand she brings the girl closer and rubs her thumb along the girl’s knuckles.  

Jinsoul turns away embarrassed when Sooyoung replies with only a knowing look. Sooyoung’s sense of fashion was cute, and her makeup made her usually sharp features adorable. Sooyoung had sharp cat like eyes but now they sparkled with the bit of color around them. Jinsoul turns to the girl, her face puffed up with a small smile, her angled features gone round. 

Jinsoul points a finger into her face, “stop doing that with your cheeks.” 

Sooyoung doesn’t have a chance to say anything before she’s dragged into the mall. 

The mall is pretty crowded and Jinsoul weaves them around the masses on a mission. They walk into a store and Sooyoung tugs them to a stop, “wait no Jinsoul.” The girl doesn’t say anything as she lets go of Sooyoung’s hand to walk further into the store. 

Sooyoung’s been talking about this hat she wanted, it was one of these cool American baseball caps. Jinsoul seemed to remember about her ramblings late at night when they couldn’t hang up on each other. 

Wordlessly following the girl around she tries to stop her from getting the flat bill but Jinsoul knows exactly how Sooyoung works and easily makes it to the counter.  

The cashier watch as the two argue over a stupid hat.  

She rings it up without even checking if it was okay or not. The short girl smiles and thanks her as she’s paying, the oh the cashier smiles at the taller girl as she’s giving the other ones money back. Damn this girl is so, “ awe you’re gonna look so cute in this.”  

The cashier feels her heart breaking as the shorter girl slaps the hat on the taller girls head and massages at her shoulder. When she sees the girl of her dreams blush, breaking into a dopey smile she knew she had no chance.   

Walking around the mall Jinsoul bounces on her feet excited about something before dragging Sooyoung over to it. 

A photo booth. 

Jinsoul shoves Sooyoung into the curtain and forces her to sit down.

Sitting inside Jinsoul taps at the little buttons before shoving some money in. “Okay first time is serious second time is silly.”  

Sooyoung isn’t for sure what she’s supposed to do for either of them. 

At first Jinsoul just smiles and tilts her head so Sooyoung mirrors her movements. Watching the little screen as it reflects their images. Sooyoung smiles too, it’s her show smile. The next time Jinsoul pouts and crosses her arms. Sooyoung pulls a blank face. 

The next two they look like close friends. Jinsoul rests her head on Sooyoung’s shoulder and Sooyoung gives a small smile. 

Jinsoul shoves some more money in and Sooyoung doesn’t expect Jinsoul to lunge at her. Squeaking out she starts to giggle when the girl kisses all over her face, the photos being taken without them paying attention.  

When Sooyoung starts to tickle Jinsoul the girl laughs and snorts at the same time.  

The final picture however when Sooyoung wraps her arms around the girl their smiles drop as their face to face. 

Staring into Jinsoul’s eyes, the air leaves her lungs and she’s stuck in the most wonderful place in the world.    

It’s the same tenseness from their almost kiss. Jinsoul struggles to keep her eyes open, just wanting to lean in and kiss those stupidly pretty lips of Sooyoung’s.  

A beeping noise breaks them apart and Jinsoul nervously giggles as she swallows down the thick tension that was just between them. 

“These are so good!” Sooyoung leans into Jinsoul to examine the photos as well. Her heart melts at all of them.  

Jinsoul then hands Sooyoung a copy of each, “so you won’t miss me that much when you’re on the road.” 

It’s such a thoughtful gesture, but no matter how many pictures of Jinsoul she had. She still was going to miss the girl like crazy.

They’re heading out of the mall before Sooyoung starts to feel guilty. Jinsoul had gotten her all these nice things and she’s hasn’t done anything.  

Until an idea pops in her mind. 

“Hey I gotta use the bathroom um you can head out.” 

“I’ll wait!” 

Sooyoung forcibly smiles when Jinsoul does so. Nodding her head she walks in the direction of the bathroom, Jinsoul watching intently. Sooyoung tries to get out the girls site until she slips into another direction. 

Jinsoul is waiting, but then she starts to follow Sooyoung. 

Darting into the build a bear workshop Sooyoung quickly scans the skins. Rubbing her chin she can’t seem to find one that fits Jinsoul, until the perfect one is spotted...right in front of her. 

Picking it up she observes it, “SQUIRTLE SQUIRTLE!” Jumping from the voice right in her ear she drops the plushie and raises her fists. Only to bring them back down when a cute purple haired girl cowers in fear. 

“SORRY!”  

The girl bows up and down, Sooyoung stops the girl by shoving her hands on her shoulders. As soon as the girl stops she blurts out, “Hi I’m Yerim welcome to Build-a-bear workshop can I help you find a friend today!” 

Yerim smiles at her with the force of the sun and Sooyoung feels a little glued to the spot. She’s never met someone this bright before, she could literally feel the positivity radiating off the girl. 

Sooyoung glances between the employee and the squirtle on the ground, “yeah actually.” The girls smile drops. 

“Oh wow you’re the first person to say yes…” Sooyoung nods in hope of some help. She was not that good at conveying her feelings. But she had so many for Jinsoul, she really doesn’t know how to express them to the girl without having a heart attack.  

Ha Sooyoung, the girl who didn’t know what emotions were, who simply didn’t believe a smile could exist on her face. So withdrawn she had a monotoned personality. 

Now just a love sick girl who couldn’t put her happiness into words.  

“I don’t really know what to do now.” Yerim tells her with a frown. “It’s only my third day out here.”  

Sooyoung blinks and starts to blabber anyways, maybe just talking to the girl would help. Girls talk all the time about their crushes and Yerim seemed to be a girl with a lot of them. “Um so...I really like this one girl but I don’t know how to say it without getting nervous and I want to get this gift to express how I feel.”  

Yerim’s smile pops back up, “AWW THAT'S ADORABLE!”  

Sooyoung nods at the girl and picks back up the squirtle, “she’s likes this kinda stuff so i would be grateful if you were to help me!”  

The employee gives her a thumbs up and Sooyoung can’t help but become enthused as well. This girl should get a raise.  

Step by step they build the squirtle into Jinsoul’s very own. 

First they stuff the plushie up and Yerim hands Sooyoung a tiny heart, “pour all your feelings into a kiss.” Sooyoung gives her a skeptical look but ends up taking the heart into her hands to stare at it. 

Bringing it up to her lips she gives it a tiny smooch. With the kiss she makes a promise, I’ll promise to always be by your side Jinsoul. No matter our differences. 

Yerim giggles as she sticks the heart into the squirtle, “is there anything you’d like squirtle to say?” 

Sooyoung thinks about it for a second, maybe she could tell Jinsoul her feelings through this. It was just so hard to find the words when the girl was right there, being too pretty for her own good that had Sooyoung’s stomach all knotted up. Maybe if Jinsoul wasn’t here giving her that look she could finally say what’s been trapped in her heart. 

“Mhmm.”

Yerim squeals excitedly as she goes to get one of the recordings. She hooks it up to the sensory pad located into the squirtle paw…? Hand? Claw? Yerim wasn’t for sure as she hummed along. “Okay you ready?” 

Sooyoung gulps and then nods.  

The purple haired girl presses a tiny button and Sooyoung softly speaks into the microphone, as if she were really talking to Jinsoul. 

“Jung Jinsoul, I wish you were mine already.”  Yerim blushes as she stops the recording. But Sooyoung keeps going, her eyes are closed and in the moment. 

Yerim would feel awfully bad if this Jung Jinsoul girl didn’t get to hear all this mushy gushy stuff so she quietly slips out her phone and starts a voice recording. 

“Everything feels right with you.”

“I wake up every morning and the first thing I think of is you. I worry if I’m going to get one of your kisses Or if you’re going to hold my hand. Or if I’m even going to be able to hear your voice.” 

Yerim holds her chest as she listens, she wishes somebody had a crush on her. It simply was not fair!   

“My first love was running, but you give me the same feeling as I had when I won my first race.”  

Sooyoung pauses for a second, trying to voice that feeling that Jinsoul gives her, “It’s like I’m floating, it’s so nice to be around you but at the same time so hard because you’re too cute for me to handle.”  

When she’s with Jinsoul, inside her chest is warm and tingling.  

Like when you wake up on a cold day to lay in bed and drink hot chocolate while watching your favorite movie. That’s the feeling Jinsoul gives her, it’s peaceful but still makes her heart ache and her hands shake with giddiness. 

“I’ve never been so thankful for someone to just drop into my life, I...I don’t think I can ever repay you for the kindness you’ve shown me. I think I’m falling in love with you.”   

Yerim wipes her tears, I wish I was in love. 

“Thank you...for showing me what that’s like.”  

Sooyoung opens her eyes and smiles. In her mind she’s winning a race. 

She’s winning the relay of the heart. 

This is her greatest victory yet.

“I hope I...we can share this feeling together. I want to share this with you. ”  

With you, Jinsoul, I want to share this love with you.  

Taking a deep breath she looks at Yerim, who was crying a little. Sooyoung frowns but Yerim waves her off, “no it’s fine, it's just...you really have a way with words, you discreet with all that down in here?” Yerim points at her chest and Sooyoung nods. 

“I have a sense she knows how I feel already but I want her to hear it. You know, to believe it.” Yerim shakes her head, damn...damn! Yeah, Yerim was going to have to take a lunch break after this so she could go get a pretzel and dip n’ dots only to cry for 30 minutes. 

They finish up the process and Yerim hands her the birth certificate. Jung Jinsoul’s squirtle. Sooyoung smiles and thanks the girl before paying. Her change falls out of hand when her name is screamed. 

Jinsoul is huffing and puffing she walks into the store. “I’ve been looking everywhere for you! How the hell did you disappear…” The girl keeps scolding her with a pointed look until Sooyoung’s shoves the squirtle into her arms.   

Smiling at the girl Sooyoung panics when Jinsoul gasps. 

Instantly shutting up Jinsoul examines the squirtle. She simply walks off without saying anything.  

Sooyoung turns to Yerim, “thank you so much!” Yerim nods and watches the pair leave. They were more perfect than she imagined. Sooyoung was gorgeous, Jinsoul was as well. They matched each other to a T.  

Smiling she squeals when they start to hold hands, disappearing into the mall crowd.  

Sooyoung is getting a bit scared, “do you like it? I was going to surprise you but…” 

Jinsoul continues to be silent. Holding onto Sooyoung’s hand tightly as the other cuddles the squirtle into her side while holding the bag with their pictures and Sooyoung’s hat. 

Outside Sooyoung fumbles into the car about to cry. Why wasn’t Jinsoul talking? This was just like when they were going to get milkshakes.  

Jinsoul opens the back door and sits squirtle down, buckling him up in the seat and patting on his head.  

Sitting inside the car for a few minutes it’s dead quiet.  

“Sooyoung.” 

Propping up in her seat she gives Jinsoul her utmost attention.  

The girl is staring at her steering wheel. “You make me really happy.”

That’s all that Jinsoul says and she drives off. Sooyoung relaxes in her seat and smiles. She thinks she’s done good with her gift.  

The rest of the date goes by smoothly, they go near the big bridge that separates the city and the neighborhoods to have dinner by the river.  

Sooyoung can sense summer coming, by the smell of barbecue and by the warm dry air. The sun doesn’t seem to want to set as is spends its sweet time slowly descending from the blue sky.  

She doesn’t think she’s ever enjoyed herself more than when she’s with Jinsoul.  

Sooyoung doesn’t want to go back home as they pack up. Jinsoul had been a bit softer this tonight, a bit sweeter. The girl had allowed her to be cheesy without a groan.  

It was too good of a time that Sooyoung didn’t want to pass. 

The drive home is quiet and somehow their hands find each other again. Jinsoul holds her hand close to her lap, latching onto it so tightly like she’d never let it go. 

Jinsoul parks in front of her house and follows her to the door. Sadly handing her the hat and photos, “so I won’t see you again until Monday…” Sooyoung nods, sinking into her own bad mood.  

The girl then pulls her into a hug and Sooyoung wraps her arms entirely around the girl’s frame. The hug lasts much longer to her satisfaction, but she knows this will be the last one for a little while. 

Burying her face into Jinsoul’s shoulder she holds on tighter when the girl tries to slip away. Her efforts are successful when Jinsoul only steps back closer.  

When breathing becomes difficult and tears start to spring to her eyes she pulls back from the strong embrace. Giving one last squeeze for good measures.  

Jinsoul pouts at her and sways from side to side and holds out her hands. Sooyoung puts her own in Jinsoul’s and the girl stands on her tippy toes to plant a fat kiss right on Sooyoung’s cheek.

With a pleading voice she asks, “another?”

Jinsoul’s pout breaks a bit as she leans back up, Sooyoung smiles mischievously as the lips come close to her face. Slightly turning her head Jinsoul’s lips land on the side of and the girl gasps and bounces back down.  

Sooyoung bites her lip smugly when Jinsoul groans shoving her face into her chest.  

Jinsoul finally starts to leave when she lands a punch on Sooyoung’s tummy. 

Sooyoung rubs at her assaulted belly as Jinsoul backs away. With a swing to her arms and soft smile, with a lullaby like voice she calls out, “Goodnight Ha Sooyoung.”  

Butterflies erupt in Sooyoung’s chest as she waves at the charming girl, “Goodnight Jinsoul.” 

Jinsoul then turns to face away from Sooyoung. She watches the girls hips as she walks to the car. Sooyoung still can’t get over how good Jinsoul looked in that dress.  

Especially her- 

“Get your in here!”  

Sooyoung doesn’t realize she’s been standing there staring at nothing until her Mom is yelling at her. Jinsoul’s car was gone, she didn’t even see it leave. She was too focused on thinking of how pretty Jinsoul was.  

She already misses her being in her arms. Jinsoul just was meant to be there. 

Waddling inside she instantly starts to sulk. Inside the kitchen both of her sisters groan when they see the lip gloss stains on Sooyoung’s face. 

Yeojin bangs on the table, “I swear if I hear one more Ella Mai song.”  

Usually when Sooyoung hung out with Jinsoul her sisters would hear weird giggling inside her room and a bunch of corny love songs. Hyejoo knows the lyrics to kiss me thru the phone now.   

This was actually every night. 

Sooyoung hugs her Momma whining when the woman mocks her, “awe is my baby sad?” Sooyoung nods and hugs her mom tighter. “How was the date?” 

“Perfect.” 

Yeojin and Hyejoo gag at the mumbled word. 

Dasom looks at her wife who was cleaning up from dinner, “how is our baby going to survive six whole days without her girlfriend?” Sooyoung groans but her Momma only laughs. 

Nana sarcastically replies, “I don’t think she can.”  

Dasom shakes her head, she can remember how crazy Nana was over her back in the day. When Dasom wouldn’t even give her the time of day. Their oldest girl definitely took after her Mom, the youngest had taken after her. 

Hyejoo was still a mystery.  

Sooyoung gets a kiss goodnight from each of her parents and then a middle finger from Hyejoo. Yeojin simply ignores her. 

Laying in her bed after a shower and some muffled crying Sooyoung cuddles up to her pillow. She was leaving early in the morning so she probably get some sleep. 

But she couldn’t stop thinking of Jinsoul. 

Sooyoung shouldn’t be so needy, she had already gotten her goodnight even a kiss and hug on top of that. But she couldn’t help but want more. 

It was like God was looking out for her when she hears a buzz from her phone.

Saving the picture Sooyoung bounces her feet on her mattress. 

It was a selfie of Jinsoul with squirtle in the background.  

Goodnight we already miss you.  

Sooyoung holds her phone close to her chest, afraid that her heart was going to pop out of it any moment now.

Jung Jinsoul. 

I already love you.  

~~~~~~~~ 

AH! It’s twin nem just kidding anyways maybe this will have...two more chapters! I know I know everybody clap. *crickets* I do not know when to shut up hehe I apologize for that and the long chapters but I enjoy writing this a lot! I hope this is okay and everyone has a nice time reading   

Lots of love ❤️ muah xoxo